PDA

View Full Version : WEEK 4 REVIEW.

zygote
08-11-2013, 10:29 PM
WRITING CHALLENGE TOURNAMENT WEEK 4 REVIEW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckeH4MuTeQs

General Writers Review.
(1) TYSON: DNC.
(2) Nigma: Had a font backlash this week, I’ve seen Enigma do these kind of purely cosmetic stylistic choices before, things like putting certain letters in bold to reveal a hidden message when highlighted etc. It can sometimes work, the voters this week thought it was too distracting. The E idea was good and in your own way you built on the Lexicon task while keeping yours distinct. A good homage that just didn’t resonate perfectly. Awarded 1 point.
(3) Innovator: Enjoy the style of rhyming. I know you can do multiple rhymes and all those slick mechanics as well, but I feel personally that single syllables rhymes give the writing a certain quality that is hard to describe. I think anyone wanting to see the effect should just read the part you put in all-caps the rhymes were simplistic almost to the point of Dr. Seuss the cat in the hat sat on the mat, but it was powerful writing because of that. It’s too easy to become so wrapped up in rap. It’s like this week you showed it, it was writing intended to be read, I feel like at parts you didn’t even need to rhyme to get your point across. It was great. Awarded 2 points.
(4) Adonis: Part of good writing is being aware of your strengths and weaknesses. Adonis knows how to emphasize his strengths; his submission this week was a good example of that. There’s not much to analyze besides that for his submission. Adonis knows how to write around these kinds of dark themes, he uses language and outside references to create the required atmosphere. Adonis is also making himself helpful by answering questions for the newer members. Awarded 2 points and an honorary moderator status.
(5) NYCSPITZ: No showed, signed out. Awarded 0 points.
(6) Storyteller: Wrote a good story with strong rhyming mechanics. Kind of the stock verse on these websites, not that there’s anything wrong with that. It was well written, not particularly inspiring but you cannot go wrong with writing like that. Let’s not downplay it, Storyteller did manage to write very effectively. Although you won this week, when compared to last week where you lost, the lack of scope and ambition in the overall approach was a little disappointing. Awarded 2 points.
(7) Objective: Moves from strength to strength, it feels like repeating myself each week, but Objective somehow manages to keep improving. Maybe it’s some kind of illusion or clever style of writing? Who knows. Although, technically this week was one of Objective’s best, I feel conceptually it was in some parts simplistic (compared to your AOWL finals submission). Nonetheless, the voters enjoyed your submission. Awarded 2 points.
(8) Pent uP: Another excellent submission, again while reading it I can bring no major criticisms. This is one of Pent uP’s great strengths, consistent quality. Rarely no-shows, almost always submits a fleshed out good piece of good writing. Iron pent, hard to defeat, it says something about the high quality of Pent uP’s stylistic writing techniques, that unless the other competitor submits something creative and atypical they will be overshadowed. First loss of the season, but still in the first group, and still one of my favorites to win overall. Awarded 1 point.
(9) oats: DNC.
(10) Boredom: No showed. Was not signed out due to these circumstances. Awarded 0 points. In future reference write some random “no-show” verse or just numbers. It wasn’t clear, it’s our mistake, sorry.
(11) Figurative: DNC.
(12) Flo Real: Have to give it to Flo Real, if you asked me before this league began who would be in one of the top positions at the midway point, I would not have predicted Flo Real. Flo Real just keeps on winning. The last two lines in your submission this week were confusing, it didn’t feel like it meshed at all. As if you were moving in the same direction with the same thread throughout but then at the last moment took a u-turn. It did have a good critique style of writing tone, but the last lines, it’s a major criticism from me this week. Awarded 2 points.
(13)Coup: No showed, signed out. Awarded 0 points.
(14) nO gOod!: DNC.
(15) PancakeBrah: Wrote about “Bleak’s Island.” In the style of that legendary “Rawn’s Imagination Land” – by VERITAS. I thought at least one person would use this kind of response to the task. PancakeBrah along with the Hipster Grizzly Bears thing has shown he knows how to write from different perspectives, he has an understanding of the subtle nuances that are needed to give the extra insight that is needed to make POV writing work. E.g., the “He's Beethoven on an empty stage,” a sharp remark towards the no comments Bleak originally received for his efforts. It was a good use of humor, without being demeaning or really attacking Bleaks character too much. It was more like an exercise in expressing pity. Awarded 2 points.
(16) deadman: DNC. Is signed in for this current week.
(17) MikeWrecka: Perhaps this is MikeWrecka’s epiphany moment. I was 100% impressed with the tangential yet coherent response to the task stimulus. It is approaches like this to the writing that I find the most interesting to read. It wasn’t a completely polished piece but it was provocative, stimulating and powerful writing. The large coffee line being a great example. Hope to see more like it. Awarded 2 points.
(18) Rawn M.D.: Another strong submission by Rawn, many have underestimated Rawn due to the discussion board activities, but there is no exaggeration here – Rawn M.D. can write very well. I feel many people missed some stylistic choices Rawn used when they criticized. E.g., one voter criticized Rawns use of varied and different references, I feel this was a deliberate choice by Rawn to match the Vulgar written topic he was assigned. Awarded 1 point.
(19) Plot: No showed, signed out. Awarded 0 points. *Fixed. You are signed in now for this week.
(20) Mr. J: Commentators wrote they enjoyed your submission this week but felt it was rushed. The majority also decided that it felt too brief, they used language like “cypher”, “lacking content.” Although, I’m a fan of concise writing, this week it seems that a more fleshed out response would have been stronger. Again, there was nothing necessarily bad with your writing it just was not enough to swing the voters for this week. Awarded 1 point.
(21) Cereal Killa: DNC.
(22) TopicalDood5: No showed, signed out. Awarded 0 points.
(23) Gazette: DNC.
(24) Certain Serpent: Shouldn’t feel too disheartened by the back to back close losses. CS could easily be 3 wins 0 losses; such is the quality of his submissions. This week CS presented one of my favorite types of writing styles, the internal narrative style. He did it well, used techniques like rhetorical questions to stimulate thought. Exactly what you need when writing in a train of thought style with no outside story driven forces. Can’t say why it didn’t resonate with the voters, perhaps the last paragraphs tone was a little preachy, maybe it could have used some more humor like the opening line. Awarded 1 point.
(25) Just Write: DNC.
(26) Rayge: No showed, signed out. Awarded 0 points.
(27) Xnub: DNC.
(28) Split Eight: No showed, signed out. Awarded 0 points.
(29) Brian Bryan: Is apparently writing for the joy of it rather than any inherently competitive aspect. It is showing, just great enthusiasm and approach to each writing task. Really flexible kind of writer too, is giving a few different directions each week. If he continues to compete BB will be hard to beat. Awarded 2 points.
(30) VERITAS: My apologies for the slight mix up, just human error (or was it subconsciously intentional?) VERItAS wrote this week in full sentences and with insight. I enjoy both the truncated sentence fragment and full sentence style. They are both effective in this rhyming format. Although the full sentence structure is more risky, it can come across as verbose and like a lecture. Only thing unfortunate in your writing was the spelling error in the last line. It didn’t change the power of your argument/”treatise” but it did lessen its effectiveness. Awarded 2 points.
(31) Witty: DNC.
(32) Atheist: DNC.
(33) patrown: Short submissions are again hurting him. I wrote about it in his prediction, there is nothing wrong with concise writing, in fact I appreciate it immensely. This week I do not agree with the voters, patrown picked a direction (to write and elicit an emotion in the reader) and he kept everything he wrote focused towards this goal. It worked for me, I loved all of the submission. Especially this part “dinner served with salad, simple things. how families live.” It was simple, nice, direct and effective. Awarded 1 point, and a keep that kind of writing up.
(34) Pinot Grij: Humorous writing is effective for Pinot, I remember something he wrote once about “my brother is retarded,” – it’s not funny without its context, but in its context it was good. It’s not an easy task to almost clean sweep Pent uP who was nearly the champion of AOWL, that too in your first week of competition. There were no signs of so-called “rust” or “writers-block.” Will Pinot Grij keep at this same level of quality using the same humor based approach? If he does he will be difficult for any other competitor defeat and his submissions will bring enjoyment for all. A refreshing writing tone among all the doom, gloom and introspection. Awarded 2 points.
(35) Shogun Dinero: No showed, signed out. Awarded 0 points.
New Competitors
(36) Word: STRENGTH- Name reminds me of a batman film movie villain. WEAKNESS- Unknown quantity, hard to say anything really. Could be an alias? PREDICTION- I’ll give Word the benefit of the doubt, purely based on his username and say he will do decently well.
(37) PiE: STRENGTH- Mathematical username always interesting. WEAKNESS- Newcomers can struggle, although I read PiE’s OM submission and it was quite good. PREDICTION- Difficult to predict without further information.
(38) DwnLd: STRENGTH- New user can surprise people. WEAKNESS- Late start to the league but still can participate. PREDICTION- It is good all new users are joining the competition, they bring enthusiasm and intrigue.
(39) Red glare: STRENGTH- Creative and cryptic, I enjoy his presence. WEAKNESS- Unethical behavior and so on. PREDICTION- Will win most if not all, can write to any topic with gusto and panache.
(40) DeadLion: STRENGTH- Is Dagel. WEAKNESS- Is Dagel. PREDICTION – Will Dagel.

Points record.
NAME: (POINTS) – Win/Loss/Draw/No Show.
TYSON: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
Nigma: (5.0) – 2/1/0/0.
Innovator: (5.0) – 2/1/0/0.
Adonis: (5.0) – 2/1/0/0.
NYCSPITZ: (0.0) – 0/0/0/2.
Storyteller: (4.0) – 1/2/0/0.
Objective: (5.0) 2/1/0/0.
Pent uP: (5.0) 2/1/0/0.
oats: (4.0) – 2/0/0/0.
Boredom: (2.0) – 1/0/0/2.
Figurative: (1.0) – 0/1/0/1.
Flo Real: (5.0) – 2/1/0/0.
Coup: (3.5) – 1/0/1/1.
nO gOod!: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
PancakeBrah: (5.5) – 2/0/1/0.
deadman: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
MikeWrecka: (6.0) – 3/0/0/0.
Rawn M.D.: (4.0) – 1/2/0/0.
Plot: (3.0) – 1/1/0/1.
Mr. J: (4.0) – 1/2/0/0.
Cereal Killa: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
TopicalDood5: (3.0) – 1/1/0/1.
Gazette: (1.0) – 0/1/0/1.
Certain Serpent: (4.0) – 1/2/0/0.
Just Write: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
Rayge: (0.0) – 0/0/0/2.
Xnub: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
Split Eight: (2.0) – 1/0/0/1.
Brian Bryan: (4.0) – 2/0/0/0.
VERITAS: (4.0) – 2/0/0/0.
Witty: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
Atheist: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
patrown: (1.0) – 0/1/0/1.
Pinot Grij: (2.0) – 1/0/0/0.
Shogun Dinero: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
Word: N/A
PiE: N/A
DwnLd: N/A

Memo week 4.
Greetings competitors, we move to a fairly standard challenge this week, in response to the number of no-shows and the fact that some people claimed to have struggled with the last challenge. LEGAL LATIN WEEK, you are required to write in response to the short phrase you are given. The Latin thing is just to make it slightly more interesting than a regular phrase. You can treat this writing exercise the same way you would treat writing to a quote topic etc if you want to. Find below your match-ups and specific tasks.

Specific contests and tasks.
(12 v 37) Flo Real v PiE. TASK: Void ab initio.
(18 v 34) MikeWrecka v Pinot Grij. TASK: Res ipsa loquitur.
(8 v 4) Pent uP v Adonis. TASK: Non est factum.
(38 v 33) DwnLd v patrown. TASK: Mens rea.
(3 v 24) Innovator v Certain Serpent. TASK: Sui iuris.
(10 v 20) Boredom v Mr. J. TASK: Ceteris paribus.
(39 v 2) Red Glare v Nigma. TASK: Quantum meruit.
(16 v 17) deadman v Rawn M.D. TASK: Primae impressionis.
(7 v 15) Objective v PancakeBrah. TASK: Sub judice.
(36 v 30) Word V VERITAS. TASK: Ultra vires.
(29 v 6) Brian Bryan v Storyteller. TASK: Ejusdem generis.
(40 v 19) Deadlion v Plot. TASK: Ratio decidendi.

General Information and FAQ.
How many weeks will the Tournament go for?
There will be 8 weeks of standard competition, and a special 9nth week tiebreaker week only in the event of tied rankings.
How are rankings and record calculated?
All wins are awarded 2 points. A loss is awarded 1 point. If you “No show” you are awarded 0 points. Tied matches at the end of the voting period are awarded 1.5 points each.
Tied matches at the end of the voting period?
Voting periods will not be extended beyond the deadline, tied outcomes are O.K. Submissions due Wednesday 23:59 PST. Ext due Thursday 23:59 PST. Voting due Sunday 11:59 PST. Weekly Memo uploaded Sunday subject to schedule.
What are the voting regulations?
Standard 3 required votes any less than 3 results in a vote deduction from your contest.
What are the voting guidelines?
Long paragraphs etc are not required, any justification of your vote is sufficient, it can be simple, as long as it is not arbitrary or unexplained. Voting based on your own subjective opinion, basically how much you enjoyed either, there is no requirement for you to vote based on writings compliance to the task. I can’t speak for all voters, but you will never have a submission DQ’d for ‘not conforming’ to the topic.
What will get me banished from the tournament?
Plagiarism, double accounts, editing your submission after your opponent has also submitted or voting has commenced, any unnecessary comments creating bias for your contest.
What are the deadlines for writing?
Weekly Magazines containing the Weekly Memo (general theme) will be released, along with the specific pages containing your writing task instructions (specific topics). Then you will have 3 days standard +1 day if required extension period to complete your writing. Voting can begin whenever the contests both have writing submissions, and will stay open for votes until the next Weekly Magazine. The scheduled process will not take more than 7 days.
What should I write?
Whatever you want, the aim of the writing challenge topics is to stimulate not restrict. There are no min or max line limits.
How are contest competitors chosen?
On sign up each competitor will be given a number. Using random.org 2 numbers are paired with each other. Match ups are always randomized rather than based on any system of high-ranking vs high-ranking etc.
What if there is an odd number of competitors for a round?
In the event of an odd number of competitors, there will be a 1v1v1 contest with all standard rules applying.
What are the sign in regulations?
Signing in is open to all for all rounds, 2 required votes for sign in to be effective after week 1 sign ins. If you no-show you are signed-out and must sign-back in to receive a matchup.
No-show repairing?
There will be no no-show repairings, as consideration of your effort if you are no-showed there will be an additional review of your writing in the following magazine.
Are multimedia aids allowed?
Yes. You can use pictures, videos, soundbytes, and other multimedia to aid your weekly submissions.
What do the numbers beside my username mean?
They don’t mean anything, they are not rankings. They are just your original sign-in number used for random assignment to tasks and contests.

Closing Weekly Comment.
Congratulations to all, we are officially at the halfway point of the league. Things have gone smoothly so far, please comment if you have any complaints or suggestions for improvement. Next week will be a slightly more challenging challenge in preparation for weeks 6, 7 and 8 which will become increasingly difficult. Hopefully, you will enjoy LEGAL LATIN week. Good luck to all competitors for completing your submissions.

Certain
08-11-2013, 10:52 PM
On the flipside, zygote, you voted against me in my only win.

Inno
08-11-2013, 10:52 PM
Good shit zygote.

League is runnin runnin n runnin runnin

Adonis
08-12-2013, 01:09 AM
You sir move fast

good shit

Brian Bryan
08-12-2013, 04:20 AM
The real tests of our creativity start from this week on, shouts to all the real writers signed in!

Flow
08-12-2013, 05:13 AM
Lol about my last two lines... I couldn't help myself. I've u turned on the last line now in every round

Split
08-12-2013, 06:41 AM
Apologizing for no-show/ no-vote, I'm more ambitious in the am than in the nighttime

Will continue voting and avoid signing in unless Im certain Ima make it, I think Id better work as a last minute stand-in

Rawn M.D.
08-12-2013, 10:32 AM
zygote props on recognizing what I was going for w the approach
@bryain Brian good sht man

and tbc I LOVE AMERICA

Brian Bryan
08-12-2013, 11:05 AM
Storyteller DeadLion wanna get verses up early so we get more votes?

I'll start writing tomorrow. Great idea for this weeks topic! :^)

Inno
08-12-2013, 12:35 PM
Lmao I just noticed the deadlion shit

Hahahahaha@the prediction.

Spoken
08-12-2013, 04:00 PM
Yeah Bryan I already starte writing will post within 32 hours if not at the most 2 days

Brian Bryan
08-13-2013, 09:08 AM
Isn't that the due-date anyway Storyteller!?

LOL

Certain
08-13-2013, 03:40 PM
WRITING CHALLENGE TOURNAMENT WEEK 4 REVIEW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckeH4MuTeQs

Memo week 4.
Greetings competitors, we move to a fairly standard challenge this week, in response to the number of no-shows and the fact that some people claimed to have struggled with the last challenge. LEGAL LATIN WEEK, you are required to write in response to the short phrase you are given. The Latin thing is just to make it slightly more interesting than a regular phrase. You can treat this writing exercise the same way you would treat writing to a quote topic etc if you want to. Find below your match-ups and specific tasks.

I just put this shit together. Good work.