PDA

View Full Version : AOWL Magazine Week 9: "The TRI-fecta" Edition.

King Ra.
12-04-2014, 10:07 PM
.... always relentless,

http://logopond.com/logos/a59f04e9e0a1069b683184ceb1a51657.png

THE AOWL IV MAGAZINE
"The TRI-fecta"- Week 9 Edition

Greetings, AOWLians. Welcome to the Week 9 edition of the AOWL magazine. This is a special trifecta edition, being that I will be covering everything from week 7, 8 & giving you the scoop on this week's action as well. Now, the mag is late, but understand that everything you're about to read is written by myself. No assistance. I dedicated a lot of time to put together a lot of the details which you will read here. Other than the typical reviews, no show shine & predictions, there is the new AOWL Analytics section, which contains some analysis from this season so far. All this to make up for the lost time with the site going down, & hopefully to get this league in high gear to finish off the season. Got musical help from G-Unit to guide you along & some Open Mic features. I hope you enjoy the read!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdpW7jcIFoo

OPEN MIC FEATURE #1

"Jus Allah Shit"
written by Genocide

Im still being chased in my sleep, why am i here
The voice in my head hasnt been quiet in years
Otherwise, the silence would steer me over a cliff
Im not used to the peace, just the bullet being load from the clip
Its been one fucked up road of a trip, to many options
Had to rob, cheat, steal, how would you have responded
Ive been truly demonic since the angels have fell
And learned gods not real, better off saving yourself
This is basically hell, theres no heaven with gates
But there is poverty, bums, and a section of eight
Crack stems in the face of the people on drugs
And to think, yesterday these were people i loved
I cant speak when im buzzed, cursed to observe
Watch my neighbors kill themselves, worse than the purge
No words could divert the intention of man
Were all cards to be played in destinies hand
My quest has been damned since maturity hit
A pawn in the same game, views from a personal glimpse
Theres a perfect abyss, a pit, my germ to be itched
A burden that hits, my music is certain of this
Find furniture, sit, and realize were all lost in a circle of shit
Buncha worms in the crypt that cant make any change
Theres no one to talk to, communicate with the grave
Pray, Im one ouija board game away, from raising kaine
Picking his broken wings up, and saving grace
For angers sakes, i need a fucking change of pace
Its either that, or a noose hole to hang my faith
My face aimed in shame at the ground in this room
Dying of thirst, looking for the fountain of youth
Or mountain dew, before i throw up in my mouth, and down the puke
Staring at the television, placing doubt in the news
Theres not an ounce of truth in the medias trash
Punching holes in the walls, go to sleep in the cracks
How decent is that, i found a comfortable crease in the mud
Where i can jerk off, let the semen adjust
Demons and dust, birthing a cynder block creature of lust
I just need to sprinkle some blood, let the evil become
A genious, a dud, nothing ever speaks to me once... fuck
Then abruptly the windows collapse, sync holes attack
The ozone layer has pin holes and big open gaps
My skin, bones and back crack, releasing a light
I levitate over people in fright, keep takin flight
Its like im deep in the clouds, then im freefalling down
Tongue sticking out, like jordan leaped from the foul
Hit the cement and ouch, blood keeps bleeding out
Im finally in peace, with the pieces of ground
Soul releases, looks around, ive accomplished my destiny
But cant rest at ease, more problems presented me
Presently scratching my head, a ball of gas and of death
Screams in the dark are how people react to the dead
I walk a flatline of my past time, memories stirred
Bring smiles to friends of mine and haunt enemies nerves
Writing the words "get out" in thier frozen breathe, on a mirror
Just a message to fear, as a magot infested reflection appears
Within seconds im gone, on my way to places unknown
The life of a ghost, the temperature stays very cold
Alone in this world, i wish to return to the flesh
Afterlife is boring me, i miss the perversion of sex
The curtain is closed, its dark, somewhere perfectly lost
My girlfriend appears, i touch her curviture, soft
She shudders worse than a frost, in love with her, hurts to be gone
Singing words to a song, i wrote it while i was high
Crack a smile and fly, back to my endless domain
Ill visit her if she happens to mention my name
Strength and restraint, no sense in driving her nuts
We'll be together again, if her time ever comes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ6D0FztfUM

WEEK 7 & 8 Match Up REVIEWS

Let's take a quick look at what transpired in the previous two weeks....

Week 7

Week 7 featured 11 matchups, which a little less than half were no shows. Nonetheless, we once again saw a dominating trend in vote margin & a lot of no shows from competitors who have stepped away from the league. Witty (4-2), 3PA (3-3) & Cereal_Killa (2-1) are currently out of the league. Week 7 was a PYT (Pick Your Topic) week, which featured movie quotes from acclaimed director, Christopher Nolan. This was one of my favorite weeks because I love Nolan's films, and was interesting in seeing what everyone would write to the 9 available topics.

Dove Dozer (4-2) earned his forth win of the season, toppling timeless (3-4), 6-0. While time had the more creative approach, it was Dozer's concise writing & more serious take that got him the edge & put timeless below the .500 mark. Storyteller (1-1) earned his first win of the season by defeating Greed (2-5), 6-1. Voters weren't too high on either verses as they had many wording issues & the stories weren't well rounded. Story's approach though had some significance to it, while Greed couldn't really paint a clear picture for the reader. UnbornBuddha (4-2) got back to his winning ways, getting past Defiant (3-3), 5-3. This one could have gone either way as the final tally shows, with some voters going for UB's expansize imaginative take, while others liked Def's well structured, character driven piece. This was a must win for both to get back on track. Vulgar (4-2) got back into the mix of things by shutting out kannon (3-3), 6-0. I personally liked both of these pieces. I really liked kannon's idea to create a new twist in the Batman legacy, creating a new villan. Vulgar, though, went vintage, creating a spectacle of sorts, painting a beatiful picture to a pretty cool story. kannon may have took this if he fleshed out his story a bit more in parts where it lacked needed detail.

Week 7 closes out with the contender & championship match ups. Dominate (3-1) got into the league with a statement, jumping to a 3-0 start which included an impressive win over, zygote. He earned the shot to get in the title match against dead man (5-2) who had started to really turn it up the past few weeks. This one ended in dominating fashion- for dead that is. He snuck by Dominate, 7-1. And I say snuck because Dom wrote a very fresh piece that you could argue could have won him this match. But this was one of the times where dead just put together another breathtaking read. This is easily one of the top match ups so far this season. As much as I loved Dom's creative approach, dead's piece just captivated me more, with all the right phrases & smooth delivery, while painting a nice visual overall. Superb writing from both gentlemen.

Last, but not least, we had our championship match. Certain (7-0) faced off, once again, against CopyPat (5-2) in the championship match. This time however, he left no room for doubt, cruising to an 8-0 victory. Let me start off by saying, Copy's topic choice was my favorite. I love the movie, Inception, and I wanted to see who would write to the quote by Leonardo. His approach to the quote however wasn't all that great. That's not knocking his rhyming, or writing skill, but I was hoping for a more deep, conceptual type of story to that topic. And that's what Certain delivered. He continued his dominance by writing one of the best pieces of the season. It was deep. The wording crisp. The story itself blossomed from start to finish. This is what the voters felt in the end. Copy's piece read more like a free write- excellent rhyming, but not enough content. Cert managed to do the same, but his idea was much clearer & well executed.

Now we catch up to week 8's results....

Week 8 featured 9 match ups, 4 of which, were no shows, including the contender match between Zen & Vulgar, with Zen earning a surprising bid to the title match. We did however see a new champion crowned. Also, there was a total 34-4 voting margin in matches by votes, which continued the trend of one-sided victories this season. I expect that trend to decrease a bit near season's end, but then again, sometimes its a matter of the writer and how much they decide to put in against their opponent.

We start off with Pent uP (2-1), making his return to the league & dismantling Storyteller (1-2), 6-0. The voting margin will sort of fool you here. Storyteller wrote probably his best, complete piece of the season, probably because he knew what he was up against. I liked his approach to the image he chose. It was creative, unique. And the writing itself really drove his story. He probably could have taken this if Pent wasn't just as good. His rhyming was top-notch, and he gave us a nice perspective view of the image. I think him having the more polished written gave him the edge, because Story did have some tiny hiccups, nothing major though. CopyPat (6-2) got a bit of a break this week, and faced newcomer Arid (0-1), easily winning, 8-0. This wasn't one of the better match ups, as Arid showed some flash in his debut, but failed to truly bring everything together in his final product. Copy got back on track, by flexing his rhyming skill, and bringing the picture to life, to recover after his loss in the championship last week. Soulstice (3-3) rejoined the league this week & came back with a solid 6-1 win over timeless (3-5). He had one of the shorter pieces, but perhaps it's a warm up for the final weeks ahead, as he displayed some poetic flair with some nice tight knit rhyming & imaginative concept. timeless has struggled this season, and in this one, he failed to really tie his whole piece together, as been the case throughout the season. We saw one of the greater match ups this season, in zygote (4-1) & NYCSPITZ (5-3). Both wrote to the same image, and both wrote their asses off. zyg managed to notch the victory though, 7-2. The margin was a testament to what happens when zyg is firing on all cylinders. He mimic NYC's style while adding his technical prowess, which is probably why he got the edge in voting. NYC was vintage- especially in the imagery department & his story, as usual, this season was top-notch. I guess with zyg taking a page from his book, he managed snag the readers from start to finish. zyg proved that this strategy works for him, and it usually does.

Last but not least, we finally saw a new champion crowned for the first time this season. Certain (7-1) has pretty much dominated the competition this year, going through a steady gauntlet & faced dead man (6-2) in a rematch. This time, however, dead man brought it, while Cert seemed to slip when it came down to reading both pieces. Cert's writing wasn't as precise as it usually has been this season, and he seemed to have taken more of a "gamble" in this match by tackling the same image as dead from a more broader perspective. This was probably the reason why he didn't get much love from voters. While some elements were good, his expansive approach left much to be desired, whereas Black matched the level of writing in his contender drop, once again stringing together fluid rhymes and great imagery. Who knows how this would have been if Cert wrote something more fully developed, but he probably finally had taken his foot off the tank. I wouldn't be surprised if he manages to get in the title match again by season's end.

And that wraps up our review of week 7 & 8. Next we'll check out the no show verses after a breif intermission.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g1orpIY2wo

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?!....

Just like the NFL season, which is nearing the playoffs, I compare this week's current line up to NFL teams as we near the post season (excluding Arid & trajik who have just began their run in this league). Let's get to it.

Certain (7-1)
New England Patriots

http://pics.pof.com/dating/208/64/4bv0jpowhua1jbwbejtasktfm348160885.jpg

Like the Patriots after a tough loss on the road to the Packers at Lambeau, Certain is coming off a loss to dead man in the championship. Despite that, he is still the top competitor this season. The Patriots have been on a roll lately, with the offense clicking on all cylinders & the defense has even been much improved this season than the past few. Brady is still playing at a high level even though he's getting old. Cert is a true veteran, who came back slow, but since last season, has found his stride. I doubt a loss like last week will slow him down. Expect him, like the Patriots, to continue to dominate even after losing.

dead man (6-2)
Green Bay Packers

http://apuestaentodo.com/sites/default/files/image***he/news_pg/GreenBayPackers.jpeg

The Packers continue to ride Aaron Rodgers & a stout defense, and they are coming off a solid 26-21 win over the Brady-led Patriots. There is probably no hotter team at this point in the season than the Pack, who have put it all together after a pretty daunting start which led many to doubt them. dead man, like the Pack, is coming off a huge win & now he has his first title defense this week against Zen. He started this season off slow, but his writing has been excellent of late & he could possibly string off a few more victories and enter the playoffs as the top seed.

CopyPat (6-2)
Denver Broncos

http://content.clearchannel.com/cc-common/mlib/668/02/668_1391718294.jpg

The Denver Broncos at the start of the season, with all of their top aquisitions & being led by future Hall of Famer, Peyton Manning, were the favorites by most, to return to the Super Bowl & win it this time around. They started the season with a bang, with a much improved defense & were one of the last remaining unbeatens in the league, before hitting a bit of a road block. CopyPat is like the Broncos, aside from starting as the favorite, as he got off to a hot start, knocking off some solid competition before running into the dominant Certain in the first title match of the season. He also lost in the rematch in week 7, but bounced back with a solid 8-0 win. He has shown flashes of potential, has proven he can beat the top competition & it's only a matter of time to tell if he can imprint his name in AOWL history book.

UnbornBuddha (5-2)
Arizona Cardinals

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/72/Arizona_Cardinals_logo.svg/338px-Arizona_Cardinals_logo.svg.png

The Cards have been one of the surprises of this NFL season, sitting atop the tough NFC West, while having one of the best records in the league (Packers, Patriots, Eagles & Broncos all boast the same 9-3 records). They've been able to maintain a solid record despite their starting quarterback being out (Carson Palmer) & having one of the better defenses as well. Unborn has probably been one of the surprises this season, and has flirted with the top spot in the rankings. After losing two straight match ups, he has got back on track, working his way into another contender match, going against the machine that is zygote. He still has some polishing to do in order to break into that upper echelon, and an upset this week would send ripples down the rankings.

zygote (4-1)
Philadelphia Eagles

http://www.4for4.com/fantasy-football/sites/all/modules/custom/ff_teams/images/team_logos/PHI.jpg

This comparison was a no-brainer for me. The Philadelphia Eagles sit at the top of the NFC East after a solid Thanksgiving showing against the Cowboys on the road. Foles, who went out with an injury earlier this season, was replaced by Sanchez, who has kept the Eagles afloat. The offense is fast. They give defenses little time to recover as we saw this past game. zygote emulates Chip Kelly's offense, in that he posts extremely quickly, sometimes within minutes after match ups are posted, but his pieces are always efficient & effective which is why he is in familiar territory vying for a title shot. He is one of the most winningest competitors in AOWL's history, and has plenty of championships under his belt. Don't be surprised if he manages to get the title & hang on to it thru season's end.

NYCSPITZ (5-3)
Seattle Seahawks

http://scontent-a.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xpa1/t51.2885-15/1662788_602402223148601_90413496_a.jpg

The Seahawks were certainly favorites entering the season to possibly repeat as Super Bowl champions, and they started the year off with a bang, until suddenly, they ran into problems within the locker room. After to solid wins, they are back on track, & NYC has been on a similar route like the Seahawks, though it has more to do with the level of competition he's faced. But this is more than likely just a minor mishap in his path to the playoffs. His writing has been superb & I expect him, like the Seahawks, to get the engine reving down this final stretch.

Mr. J
Dallas Cowboys

https://fantasylineup.promo.eprize.com/public/images/catalog/cowboysTickets.jpg

The Dallas Cowboys seem to have gotten everything together this season. Their defense, which had been one of the worst the past couple seasons, have actually played solid enough, while Romo & the offense have been riding on the heels of Demarco Murray, the NFL's leading rusher. Mr. J has the makings to be a major threat & he certainly seems motivated. Like the Cowboys, he has been solid this season, but if he is looking to be a fixture at the top, he'll have to win the big matches.

Zen
Cleveland Browns

http://media-***he-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/ed/f8/4e/edf84ed84f658cfe1e3ca42d0cda7f78.jpg

This comparison is of no disrespect to Zen. The Cleveland Browns have played pretty well this season, and remain in contention for the playoffs, as well as the AFC North division crown. Not only that, they got back Josh Gordon, who adds another offensive weapon for the Browns. The defense has held it's own. They are definitely the surprise team of the year. Zen represents this, in that, for the first time in his AOWL career, he is in a champ match. He has a chance to cement his position as a force as the playoffs near.

Soulstice (3-3)
Pittsburgh Steelers

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.607986413912000038

The Pittsburgh Steelers were thought to be on the decline entering the season, but they have held their own. Big Ben has had 2 games back-to-back where he threw 6 td's, showing flashes of why he is one of the best in the game. But the Steelers have been a tale of two faces. At times they look like a dominant force & other times they look flat, winded. Soulstice hasn't been able to bring it all together yet this season, riding that similar seesaw wave as the Steelers, though, he has the opportunity to string together a second win & we can only wait to see how he fares the rest of the season.

Pent uP
Indianapolis Colts

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/9244473_f248.jpg

The Indianapolis have been a bit under the radar this season. They haven't really shocked anybody & they haven't been bad. They seem to be riding the arm of Andrew Luck, who has played pretty well this year. They sit atop the AFC South, 2 games ahead of the Texans. At times, the have looked extremely good, especially at home, while when they've loss it hasn't been pretty (lost to Pittsburgh 55-34 a few weeks ago). Pent uP has just got back to participating in the league have a long hiatus, but one thing we know is he is one of the best writers to have graced this league. He has been quiet so far & like the Colts, we wait to see if he makes some noise or falls in the silence.

Frank
New Orleans Saints

http://www.onlinegambling.com/sports/american-football/2012-nfl-season/logos/xsaints-logo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.P6W2pM2RTz.jpg

The New Orleans Saints have been bad this year. And that's surprising, especially being led by one of the best quarterbacks in the league. What's even more shocking, is the fact that they have struggled at home. They are tied with the Falcons for first place in the NFC South, which probably will put a team with a losing record in the playoffs this season. Frank is one of the fiercest competitors you will find when it comes to topicals, his flair and writing ability when he is on his game and motivated is tops hands down. But this season has not been near his best & now he has to fight to get in the playoffs and show everybody that he is truly the best writer.

Storyteller
Detroit Lions

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0420/nfl_lions_300.jpg

The Detroit Lions remind me of the Indianapolis Colts. Under the radar, not great but also, not bad. Their borderline between great & good, and their 8-4 represents that. Stafford pretty much leads this team. When he isn't at his best, they lose, sometimes, real bad. When he is at his best, they are hard to keep up with. Storyteller has the potential to be great in this league, his writing is good, though he has some edges to flesh out to make that next step. Last weeks piece was his best in his brief appearance this season, so it'll be interesting if he can break out and make some moves by seasons end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR4eVTY4Qyw

OPEN MIC FEATURE #2

"Linus Walked Around With A Blanket & No One Gave Him Shit"
written by Mr. J

Can you understand the prominence behind the anonymous
the arrogance in the aura of their so-called dominance
I could supply the whole populous a pair of binoculars
Only to have it brushed off so the idea remaining is popular
you got some nerve the way you think, how you walk this earth
there's a bitch in you and I use common sense to talk to her
But everyone's heated they got the thirst & an ankle monitor
meaning they ain't seen shit...like the things they promised her
They play any moniker so honestly you ain't far from worse
But that should kill your spirit to the point that it drops to earth
I'm the reason you offer verbs, cause my synonyms often hurt
cutting out the middle man like deep down you really got that work
Thinking you better? The thoughts absurd! My spots reserved
Bringing drama to an end like a Jerry Springer conscious word
I swear... over a billion products served, please believe the mark ups worse
An over saturation of the same shit, questioning "are you getting your pockets worth?"
Cause you buy into it everytime...and take whatever is offered first
You answer to telemarketers and usually leave the topics blurred
Fall back when your mom buys you anything you want since birth
If that mockingbird don't sing, then we fly over the cuckoo's nest
Hang shrunken muted heads around the neck and chant a voodoo hex
Drink from the soil, eat from the tree, rooted to the point I'm true to depth
something they ain't used to yet, just carry on...whatever it is Eustace said...
"You....dumb....dog"

https://img1.etsystatic.com/052/0/9955844/il_340x270.660917391_rhhn.jpg

No Show Shine (Weeks 7 & 8)

Here is a quick breakdown of the past two weeks no show verses....

WEEK 7

We have been degraded and debased,
Dissuaded into docility, our name has been disgraced.
We must act with the greatest sense of haste,
The British armies are away, their navies are at bay.
The Englishman fights among the German and the Turk,
Our ranks are filled with volunteers, builders, fishermen and clerks,
We fight for every blade of grass, for every inch of land, for every speck of dirt.
Our true and beautiful country is the best upon this earth.

zygote once again displayed his flexibility as he took another page from his opponent, Witty, by writing about his home country Ireland. It was a solid read, very technically sound. A nice speech driven peace from a possible page of Ireland's history.

He sees the news like some kind of bad magic trick
an analysis for the weak - he can't fathom it
so he exposes government pawns through dissent with a deft smile
he's even got globalization figured out with the best now
just some minor kinks to work out re: fourth dimensional reptiles.
David Icke on blast, googling independent media news
mind a vehemnt storm, fuming at all the little people abused
he chuckles at chussodovsky's article with its comic subtle attacks
it's clear to him now- next week is the fucking economic global collapse!

NYCSPITZ wrote an anti-government sort of piece, which actually started off really well, as he built up this character who was apparently preparing for an economic collapse. While the first portion was solid, it did tinker off a bit near the end, but nonetheless, a solid read from one of the best.

It was graphic, oh yes, but its beauty was its uniqueness.
He thought it was a shame most only saw it as creatures.
Even his closest companions couldn’t look at his drawings
He began to notice the same response;
Their eyes drifted when they saw him.
Those who didn’t know him would gawk and stare.
This made him uncomfortable. He thought it was all unfair,
How the crowds would gather to see him wallow in despair

This piece by Zen wasn't astounding, nor was it bad- it read pretty smoothly. But for some reason, I just couldn't stop until I got through the whole story. It was intriguing. A man who drew a picture or painting of a lion & a gazelle & became wrap up in it to the point it became his reality. Good shit.

No borders in boundaries, her harp fell without harmony
On unsharpened symphonies by smilingly*silly peanuts in a gallery
but only when you enter..

Her veins. Allergic to algae, the golden goose of our era
Whether you are a God, Darwin or a structure of remorse
perched to purge on the constant air that buries her cords
in
Terror will keep her coil mortal
As wall by wall thirst covers the moss
their sound of her clock
all the way to the last lash of notice, then too late for forgot
She maybe almost raped but not famous enough to brush'off all of their cost

Cereal_Killa wrote probably the best no show piece of week 7, even though, I personally do not fully understand what exactly the overall meaning of the piece was. At first thought, I figured it was a magic trick of some sort in the beginning, as the topic he chose what from the movie The Prestige, a movie about two magicians competing against each other. But as I read on, I figured it was related to something pertaining to drugs. As always with CK's pieces, they are very deep, so you never truly know what exactly the message is, but nonetheless it's always a great story to read.[/LEFT]

Week 8

Men grabbed us at our arms and walked us up a flight of stairs,
and doors creaked open in front of us breaking the silence in the air.
The floor was wooden, I could tell only from the sounds,
but all I could think was, “Where the hell are we now?”
The bags were removed and men were everywhere in gowns
with masks covering their faces, each with red in their cowls.
“What is this?” James said with his shaken from terror and doubt.
One man stepped forward. “Welcome to The Underground.”

Zen was once again no showed, this time in the contender's match. His story was particularly "weird". The ending really tied everything together to the image he chose for his piece, which gave his story a bit more understanding. However, he could have done more to incorporate more elements of the image; being that the very last line was the only notable indicator.

Now I stand here with my trustiest steed.
Ready to do battle with the godliest being,
Enthused, my real life avatar is touching the screen.
To get to this destination I traveled dungeons, ravines.
Along the way, I mustered a team, paladins who can plummet into seas
No matter how bottomless deep, they can conquer its beasts
The legendary Leviathan fins became a substance to eat!
Since then, they all have suffered defeat to goblin like fiends.

You can always expect UnbornBuddha to utilize as much words as possible to pour out a complete story, and he once again did that here. A lot of times, it works in his favor, but other times, especially against more technically sound writers, it backfires. This story had all the little tidbits you'd expect from a topical piece- the imagery was solid, the rhyming was decent & it was okay technically. I did find myself lost in the rhyme scheme a bit as it switched at times & also, some lines were just a bit too wordy. The story was interesting, until the big reveal at the end. I thought that was unnecessary, because nothing else before it indicated or hinted at a child playing a video game. It read like a mythical ethic, more than a game. Nonetheless it was a cool read. Kudos.

Beneath the surface is a cold machine lying in wait.
denying its fate, only to break down in the face of adversity
a last minute emergency when life is intertwined in hate
Dreaming, wide awake...so reality came with its absurdities
And what I saw became a closer observation of this hurt in me
this need to shut down when life becomes hard purposely
Complicated personally, advanced beyond what shows....
show what works for me, a one track mind, a silent courtesy
a wall built, a hole to rest in when I can feel the worst in me
a place to hide the bigger part of the pain thats hurting me
A shell that I return to whenever I need to be alone....

Mr. J wrote a very short piece, & I'm not sure whether he expected Dom to no show, or he just didn't have the time to really write a full, fleshed out story. The little he did write read like a self reflection type of story, but that's all I could really put together from it. It's more of an opening stanza, so it's difficult to truly judge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvUeySfWPd8

http://thenetworkgarden.blogs.com/.a/6a00d8341c285b53ef019aff96c06d970d-800wi

A Word From The King

We're only 3 weeks away from the playoffs. With that said, I wanted to discuss the scheduling for the last 3 weeks, especially since we're in the midst of the holidays. Putting the league on hold would probably be more detrimental than just continuing to run it through the holidays, so I have sketched out a plan to ensure that we are able to continue running the final weeks, while not interferring with the holiday break.

Firstly, the regular Friday due date will no longer be pernament for the final 3 weeks. There will be a slightly longer period between when match ups are posted & when verses are due. This week, verses will be due Saturday, while votes will be due Tuesday. This change will be indicated in all match ups upon the posting of this magazine. Week 10 & 11 will more than likely follow the same format, with week 12 match ups being posted on Christmas Eve. Week 12, however will have a verse due date almost a week later, more than likely falling on Friday, January 2nd, or Saturday, January 3rd. This will give everyone time to enjoy their holidays, while giving plenty of time to write verses. So here is what we're looking at thus far:

WK9: Verses due Saturday, December 6th. Votes due Tuesday, December, 9th.

WK10: Verses due Saturday, December 13th. Votes due Tuesday, December 16th.

WK11: Verses due Saturday, December 20th. Votes due Tuesday, December 23rd.

WK12: Verses due Friday, January 2nd. Votes due Monday, January 5th.

These are not technically set in stone, as the deadlines may be increased depending on how things are going. If you feel you won't be able to show in any of these weeks, please be sure to sign out. A no show loss hurts you in the Power Rankings & effects your playoff seeding/chances. Further details of how the playoffs will be ran can be read later in the magazine.

Also, I'd like to commend everyone for the voting in the past week. It was much better overall & we definitely need to keep it up. I have kept track of voting, and you will see the numbers later in the magazine as well. That's enough from me, let's continue the magazine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkeodj-UIhk

OPEN MIC FEATURE #3

"How you gon' wake up dead?"
written by Zen

Nothing’s hard to find if you know what you’re looking for.

At least that’s what I tell myself at the bottom of a bottle while telling every girl that I love her, but that promise is hollow. Forever a loner. I work better as a loner. I talk to myself because I’m the best person I know of.

My girlfriend doesn’t let me eat her pussy anymore. I guess she’s already too consumed with herself. I debated dropping her ass as I watched her womb swell. Then we found it she wasn’t pregnant, and damn I was relieved, because how I could respect any woman who’d wanna make a family with me? An alcoholic, drug addict who can train the kids to open my beer bottles while I go take a piss. But after all, isn’t love tragic?

Maybe it is.

You fall in love and get married, but that rose will hurt.
One of you is gonna die, and you just hope your first.

I watched my mother grieve after my father was dead. I still remember her screams in the hallway with dread. Panicking, I wake up and check Ade obsessively as she lays next to me because I can’t lose her. If I save her she’ll never leave.

But hopefully I go first. Drift off for a nap that I’ll never wake up from. It’s a sad thought, yeah, but forever loves none. At least Dad felt no pain, and history repeats itself. I can only hope that’s how this misery will end so I can sleep in Hell. Pull up at the table with Satan and debate creation and pop culture’s latest rages over hot cocoa and flaming bacon, cause everything’s on fire.

I can only hope
As I wait for it to transpire.

I’d hope for Heaven, but that ship sailed a while ago. Got “saved” at ten because my Dad died, and I wanted to be sure I went to the same place as him. I don’t hope for that anymore, because I know He’d never take me in. My father, I mean, not some fantasy, man. If He could see what I’ve become, his baby, his kid, what would he think of me then?

Self-reflection is dangerous, but I could take it as a gift.
Maybe put in some effort and change what I’ve been.

ahHahaHa

But that ain’t just ain’t happening. I’m too stuck in my ways. Too fucking deranged. My brain’s cracking. I’m turning the page, like, “fuck it, okay!” Lol’ing all the way to madness. Drop the curtains, it’s over, I’m burning the haze till I wake in a casket.

http://thevarguy.com/site-files/thevarguy.com/files/image***he/medium_img/uploads/2013/10/2014predictions.jpg

Week 9 Predictions

Here are my picks for this week:

AOWL CHAMPIONSHIP: dead man (6-2) vs. Zen (3-0)

Apparently, word is dead man may not be able to show this week in his first title defense which would suck because that means Zen would win by no show. I'm hoping he actually does show. This is a weird but interesting match up. Zen was able to make it to the title match after some key losses by other competitors & 3 straight wins, the last two unfortunately by no show. This is his first true test of the season. If dead shows, expect a solid drop which Zen would need to really bring it all together to earn his first championship win in his AOWL career. Zen is champ if dead doesn't show, but if he does, I think this isn't his time just yet. PREDICTION: dead man, 75/25.

AOWL CONTENDER MATCH: zygote (4-1) vs. UnbornBuddha (5-2)

Unborn is in his second contender match of the season, and once again he faces another worthy opponent, the machine that is zygote. zyg has been back to his normal ways, mimicing his opponents, which has net him 3 straight victories. If he does the same here, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the LONGEST match of the year line wise. Unborn has shown good potential & this is his chance to really earn a statement victory and a shot in the title match. zygote is no pushover & I expect him to drop another solid story on his way to the championship. PREDICTION: zygote, 85/15.

Certain (7-1) vs. Pent uP (2-1)

This should be a great match up between two of the leagues best writers. Cert is coming off his first loss of the season, losing to dead man in the championship match, while Pent came back to the league and earned a solid win. This match definitely has some title implications to it & can cause a ripple effect in the AOWL Power Rankings. If Pent uP wins, he'll get a step closer to earning a contender match shot & jump into the top-10. If Certain wins, he regains his footing & can make a final run to solidify the top seed in the playoffs. A loss wouldn't hurt him much, especially if dead man somehow loses the championship match. I expect two great stories. While Cert has been the hot hand this season, I think he's hit a cooling point, enough for Pent to flex his might & continue racking up some solid wins. PREDICTION: Pent uP, 55/45.

CopyPat (6-2) vs. Mr. J (5-3)

This is another dope match up this week. Copy & J square off for the first time this season, two of the most consistent writers in the Open Mic forum. Both have done pretty well thus far, though CP has faced a much stiffer schedule than J has, but not by much. I'm certain both would like to get another shot at the title, so this match up is important in getting there, while also have an effect in the Power Rankings, which determines playoff seeding. Copy can lose this match and still have another shot at the title but this is not the case for Mr. J. A loss would eliminate from a title shot & also drop him down in the rankings. That makes winning this very important for him. While Copy has been solid to watch this season (his only losses have been in the championship against Certain twice), I feel Mr. J is trying to make a final push & make a statement while doing so. I will go with the hungrier writer. PREDICTION: Mr. J, 55/45.

NYCSPITZ (5-3) vs. Soulstice (3-3)

Aside from Certain, NYC has faced some very good writers the past couple weeks, and once again he is up against another, Soulstice, who returned to the league and earned a solid win over timeless. Both of these writers are very good, and both had won tournaments entering this season: NYC won the Alias Topical Tournament & Soulstice won the Short Verse Topical Tournament. These guys are true champions. I'm sure winning the AOWL crown at the end of the season would be a solid addition to their topical writing history. Like the previous matches above, this has rankings and playoff implications. NYC definitely needs a win to stay afloat in the rankings & to keep hopes alive at a title shot before the end of the season. Soulstice really needs a win to keep up the momentum and earn a higher seed in the playoffs. So this is a pretty important match for both. Who I choose to be the favorite here is pretty simple: Soulstice has been up & down with his writing so far this season, while NYC has been one of the most consistent. PREDICTION: NYCSPITZ, 60/40.

Storyteller (1-2) vs. Arid (0-1)

Did I mentioned that every match this week has some sort of implication for the playoffs? What are the chances these two will be able to get in, even with a not-so-good record if it comes down to it? All those answers will be explained in the AOWL Analytics & Power Rankings/Playoff section of this magazine. But these two can definitely get a shot at the playoffs. For right now, they both need a win here to get the ball rolling. Arid is a newcomer, and in his first match, he left much to be desired. Story has one win thus far, and posted a good verse last week against Pent, which wasn't able to get him the W. Based off those results, Story is definitely the favorite here, and if anything, Arid needs to really put forth his best effort because a win here won't be very easy. It'll be interesting to see what he manages to put up this week. If Story posts anything on the level that he did last week (with a bit more polish) he will definitely be hard to beat. Nonetheless, he is the favortite. PREDICTION: Storyteller, 80/20..

Frank (2-3) vs. trajik (0-0)

First off, we introduce another new member of the league in trajik, who makes his debut against a worthy opponent in Frank. Now, second, the chances of both not showing or at least one is probably expected. Third, can we really say that Frank is a worthy opponent this season? He hasn't been consistent. He doesn't seem motivated. And its pretty weird seeing him at 2-3 at this point in the season. The fact he has returned must mean he's trying to string up some wins to contend for the crown come playoff, but he has A LOT of work to do. There are many competitors ranked above him, and a loss in this match would make it that much harder for him to make the playoffs, barring some freaky losses by other competitors. I don't know much about trajik at all, never read any of his work, but I hear he is a topical writer and knows his stuff. If that's the case, that makes this match that much interesting to see, especially if they both actually show and post some good verses. Frank needs this win badly. I say he shows, but I don't trust him fully just yet. PREDICTION: Frank, 51/49.[/i]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNhylhd6ecU

https://seguridadysalud.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/analisis.jpg?w=432&h=432

AOWL ANALYTICS
AOWL Statistics, Power Rankings & Playoff Preview

[LEFT]I saved this section for the end of the magazine because this is where it all comes together. Everything you need to know is in this section. I've spent A LOT of time analyzing all of these statistics, while formulating a plan for the playoffs to make it very competitive & entertaining. So first off, here's the updated rankings.

http://ewzine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/powerrank.png

#1. Certain (7-1)
4x champion. Toughest schedule this season. Despite the loss, still #1.

#2. dead man (6-2)
Could have been #1, especially being the new champion, but lack of votes this season keeps him here for now.

#3. CopyPat (6-2)
The only other competitor who can say they have beat CP is Certain (2x's).

#4. UnbornBuddha (5-2)
Has quietly remained a fixture in the rankings this season. Can he pull off a signature win?

#5. zygote (4-1)
The AOWL veteran is slowly creeping up the ranks. Beware.

#6. NYCSPITZ (5-3)
Probably the most consistent writer this season, next to Certain. Only a matter of time before he makes his final move.

#7. Mr. J (5-3)
He is hungry. That means everyone that comes in his way better look out.

#8. Zen (3-0)
The low ranking is due to the amount of no show wins, but if he beats dead man & earns the championship, expect him to rise.

#9. Vulgar (5-3)
Out of the league for now, but will probably hold the lower part of the rankings down until someone else rises up.

#10. Witty (4-2)
Will probably drop after this week barring any major losses by other competitors.

Now let's talk a bit more about the rankings & how it works with the playoff seeding. First off, from here on out, I am taking into account voting by every participant. This not only impacts the rankings from now til season's end, but also who gets in & who may be out. There has been 8 completed weeks this season & I've taken the liberty to go through every match & count votes. Here's how it works: every week you participate, you're suppose to have 3 voting links. So if you've been in this league from the very beginning, you should have voted 24 times (8 weeks x 3 links per week). Weeks in which you DNP (did not participate) do not count towards the amount you owe. However, weeks you participated but no showed still count against you. Weeks you returned to the league after a DNP, only 2 links the week you signed back are counted. Everyone got a free 3 link pass deducted from what you owe. The statistics you're about to see shows who puts in the effort to vote, and who doesn't. THIS WILL EFFECT YOUR CHANCES OF PARTICIPATING IN THE PLAYOFFS IF YOU DO QUALIFY.

Certain- 28/21 +7
dead man- 5/21 -16
CopyPat- 20/21 -1
UnbornBuddha- 24/20 +4
zygote- 16/14 +2
NYCSPITZ- 24/21 +3
Mr. J- 25/21 +4
Zen- 6/8 -2
Vulgar- 25/20 +5
Witty- 5/17 -12
Dove Dozer- 6/20 -14
Dominate- 16/16 E
Soulstice- 11/19 -8
Pent uP- 9/8 +1
3PA- 13/17 -4
Defiant- 7/18 -11
kannon- 21/18 +3
timeless- 14/21 -7
Frank- 7/14 -7
Greed- 5/14 -9
Storyteller- 5/8 -3
Arid- 6/2 +4
asylum- 20/15 +5

There are a few competitors who have participated a few weeks in this league but are not on the list, like Innovator, who didn't warrant any votes at all in every week participated. This voting analysis shows who has been helpful in the voting department & who has lacked. Certain has voted the most, followed by Mr. J, Vulgar, NYC, Unborn, kannon & asylum, who all have at least 20+ votes. The rest who have pluses have met their voting criteria thus far. To those of you with the minuses- beware, if you do not improve on your voting, you will pretty much make it difficult for yourself to participate in the playoffs- even if you have a winning record. I would rather put people in who help contribute with voting than those who barely do not. You have this week & 3 more after that to improve, so make sure you get your part in voting done. You MUST vote on 3 match ups from here on out this season. Now, let's talk playoff structure.

The AOWL IV Playoffs will feature 4 rounds, plus a pre-qualifier round in the final week of the season. In other words, the top four seeds will earn a bye from the wildcard round & also recieve an advantage when it comes to topics. The wildcard round will feature seeds 5 through 12, whom will battle it out to see who gets into the quarters. The prequalifier round, which occurs during week 12, will feature the 13th, 14th, 15th & 16th seeds, who will face off to see who gets in the playoffs. Heres a round by round outlook on how it'll work:

Pre-qualifying Round (occurs in week 12)

#13 vs. #14 (winner earns the #11 seed in the wildcard)
#15 vs. #16 (winner earns the #12 seed in the wildcard)

Wildcard Round

#5 vs #12 (winner faces the #1 seed in the quarterfinal)
#7 vs. #10 (winner faces the #3 seed in the quarterfinal)
#6 vs. #11 (winner faces the #2 seed in the quarterfinal)
#8 vs. #9 (winner faces the #4 seed in the quarterfinal)

Quarterfinals

#5/#12 vs. #1
#7/#10 vs. #3 (winners from both match ups face off in semifinals)

#6/#11 vs. #2
#8/#9 vs. #4 (winners from both match ups face off in semifinals)

From there, it's pretty simple the rest of the way. This opens the door for numerous match ups which could go either way depending on whose facing who. Also, I will have a blueprint of how the topics will be done in each round. As I mentioned, the top 4 seeds will have the advantage in the Quarterfinals & who knows what that will be. Hopefully a slightly deeper field and this structure creates some great energy when it comes playoff time between all competitors. Every has a chance to make it, so get your writing in gear. Playoff positioning will be critical. Further details will be reveal as the coming weeks go by.

That ends our AOWL Analytics section.

In closing,

This wraps up this edition of the AOWL magazine. I worked my ass off to put this together & make this enjoyable for you guys. Over 48 hours of planning, reading, writing & doing analysis. You all make this league go, so it's worth the time & effort to create a platform to display your skills against other aspiring writers. Hope you enjoyed the read. Please check your match ups for deadlines & due dates, as I have tacked on an extra 24 hours for verses to be posted. This is the King signing out. Holler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clmY1pBejDk

King Ra.
12-05-2014, 12:24 AM
I'm tired. Enjoy the read and goodnight, gentlemen.

Certain
12-05-2014, 12:28 AM
Predicting against me will be your downfall.

Otherwise, excellent magazine.

Pent uP
12-05-2014, 12:35 AM
Dope man. Getting all Tali Rodriguez on the road to the playoffs. Love it.
Certain -- how close are you to dropping?

Certain
12-05-2014, 12:38 AM
Dope man. Getting all Tali Rodriguez on the road to the playoffs. Love it.
Certain -- how close are you to dropping?

Definitely won't be done tonight.

Pent uP
12-05-2014, 12:39 AM
Shame. Hopefully you don't read before you post. Or do...Whatever.

Spoken
12-05-2014, 06:10 AM
This was fantastic bruh....

Next time give me a Holla I'll help

Zen
12-05-2014, 07:17 AM
Nice.

Mike Wrecka
12-05-2014, 03:48 PM
dope mag. comparing the contestants to NFL teams was a really cool touch. good stuff

zygote
12-07-2014, 06:12 PM
A big thank-you and many appreciations for your time and effort King Ra! The voting numeric you made is a brilliant way to implement accountability for all participants, and it is such a good/simple idea that it should be a permanent fixture in all leagues from here out! You have written that it took long time to finish. In future you can always send me an email to delegate some section and I should be able to assist you within a reasonable amount of time.

UnbornBuddha
12-07-2014, 11:54 PM
King Ra, you are an incredible force to the health of this league. Thank you!

Vulgar
12-08-2014, 12:46 AM
King Ra, you are an incredible force to the health of this league. Thank you!

King Ra.
12-08-2014, 11:11 PM
Salute, gents.