PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs Round 2: Chat and predictions

Certain
03-31-2015, 05:08 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ve4aXeF.gif

Welcome to Round 2!

First off, thanks for most of you showing up. But Split, never again post who you're going to vote for without posting an actual vote. And Soulstice, I'm sorry it had to go down that way, but the wait was way too long as is.

Battles will be up when Zen picks our topic. Topics for the week are black power leaders' quotes about other things. Verses are due in a week, so Monday, April 6. Voting on all three other battles is required.

Here's the matchups:

1. Certain vs. 8. Zen | "Everybody changes, not just me." — Eldridge Cleaver
5. NYCSPITZ vs. 4. CopyPat | "The secret of life is to have no fear." — Stokely Carmichael
3. UnbornBuddha vs. 11. Adonis | "The future belongs to those who prepare for it." — Malcolm X
10. Dr Dog vs. 2. dead man | "The revolution has always been in the hands of the young." — Huey Newton

NYCSPITZ
04-01-2015, 10:32 AM
the queen pin to the king pin redeems him

Adonis
04-07-2015, 03:13 PM
I hate everyone

Except zen and Buddha

Witty
04-07-2015, 04:10 PM
I hate everyone

Except zen and Buddha

:(

Adonis
04-07-2015, 05:58 PM
I also heart Witty because there are few people I can talk soccer with in the states

NYCSPITZ
04-08-2015, 05:18 PM
ayo,

change is the only constant

Wise Wiggles
04-09-2015, 12:09 AM
nope. the one thing that stays the same in every individual living thing, is that alert stillness between the ears, son. remember that. alert stillness.

Split Eight
04-09-2015, 02:57 AM
nope. the one thing that stays the same in every individual living thing, is that alert stillness between the ears, son. remember that. alert stillness.

lmao dis nigga high as fuck

NYCSPITZ
04-09-2015, 10:30 AM
nvm

Zen
04-09-2015, 07:38 PM
Are votes due tomorrow since there was an extension?

Certain
04-09-2015, 08:45 PM
Let's do that. Zen, dead man, Dr Dog, CopyPat, Adonis and UnbornBuddha, please vote by the end of Thursday night.

Adonis
04-09-2015, 10:30 PM
Will try extremely hard to make that Thursday due date. Sleepless and busy couple days

Mike Wrecka
04-10-2015, 04:31 PM
Anyone want to collab?

Zen
04-10-2015, 10:06 PM
Father John Misty is purty good.

Certain
04-10-2015, 10:29 PM
dead man, CopyPat, Adonis and UnbornBuddha, vote!

Certain
04-11-2015, 08:23 AM
dead man, CopyPat and Adonis, please vote!

Adonis
04-11-2015, 11:29 AM
Will vote in a few

3 hours of sleep in 48 caught up to me yesterday.

Certain
04-11-2015, 11:24 PM
Fuck you all.

NYCSPITZ
04-12-2015, 09:57 AM
j @ the topicalists entirely and say pretty plz

Certain
04-12-2015, 11:11 AM
dead man, Adonis and CopyPat, voting is required. You won't advance if you don't vote.

big baby, Dancake, Fig, oats murkel, Wise Wiggles, Witty, Mr. J, Objective, Pharaohs Army, timeless, Exis, Vulgar, Mutilate and anyone else, can y'all help me out here? I will return the favor in Open Mic.

Certain
04-12-2015, 03:33 PM
Soulstice, hit me with an Open Mic link, and I'll drop some real feedback.

Zen
04-12-2015, 11:16 PM
Guys, recommend me some new music. My playlist's gotten stale.

NYCSPITZ
04-12-2015, 11:19 PM
"votes are due wed 4/8"
Certain

Certain
04-12-2015, 11:25 PM
Guys, recommend me some new music. My playlist's gotten stale.

Give me an example of what you want.

And battles will be closed tomorrow.

Zen
04-12-2015, 11:28 PM
Anything really, Certain, just not rap. I've burned rap into the ground. To be more specific, something similar to Father John would be great.

Split Eight
04-13-2015, 03:07 AM
Anything really, Certain, just not rap. I've burned rap into the ground. To be more specific, something similar to Father John would be great.

Andrew Jackson Jihad
Okkervil River-Black Sheep Boy
Yo La Tengo
Sun Kil Moon- Benji
LCD Soundsystem- all music

Split Eight
04-13-2015, 03:08 AM
btw if you haven't listened to Chance the Rapper, you've far from exhausted the genre

big baby
04-13-2015, 03:29 AM
dead man, Adonis and CopyPat, voting is required. You won't advance if you don't vote.

big baby, Dancake, Fig, oats murkel, Wise Wiggles, Witty, Mr. J, Objective, Pharaohs Army, timeless, Exis, Vulgar, Mutilate and anyone else, can y'all help me out here? I will return the favor in Open Mic.
bb dont hv open mics enxt question idiyote out of my office

dead man
04-13-2015, 11:37 AM
sooo next week?

Certain
04-13-2015, 12:07 PM
Battles will be closed and new threads posted in the next two or three hours.

Zen
04-13-2015, 01:23 PM
Andrew Jackson Jihad
Okkervil River-Black Sheep Boy
Yo La Tengo
Sun Kil Moon- Benji
LCD Soundsystem- all music

Cool. Thanks, I'll check them out.

Certain
04-13-2015, 01:46 PM
Zen, I don’t know how deep your music background goes. So here’s some new-ish stuff with your preferences in mind:

Real Estate, Days
Deerhunter, Halcyon Digest (Dancake loves this, with good reason)
Destroyer, Kaputt
D’Angelo, Black Messiah
M83, Saturdays = Youth
Okkervil River, The Stage Names
Sturgill Simpson, Metamodern Sounds in Country Music
Jenny Lewis, The Voyager

And here’s some older stuff that you may not have heard but fit the bill:

Tom Waits, Rain Dogs (I’m always stunned by how many of my friends have not listened to him)
Bonnie “Prince” Billy, I See a Darkness
Bruce Springsteen, Nebraska (unlike all other Springsteen)
Belle & Sebastian, If You're Feeling Sinister
Iggy Pop, The Idiot
Television, Marquee Moon
The Stone Roses, The Stone Roses
Leonard Cohen, I’m Your Man
Cocteau Twins, Heaven or Las Vegas
The Jesus and Mary Chain, Psychocandy
Echo and the Bunnymen, Heaven Up Here

dead man
04-13-2015, 01:56 PM
tom waits is the man. i particularly enjoy "bad as me" on a regular basis.

Certain
04-13-2015, 02:07 PM
"Time" off Rain Dogs has a legitimate stake in the best-songs-ever debate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_eR0IVSOhY

PancakeBrah
04-13-2015, 07:21 PM
Okkervil River's Black Sheep Boy is my favorite album of all time. Stage names is probably better, qualitatively, but it's one of those deals where I listened to BSB so much in my high school days it has that nostalgic tint to it that I can't deny. Highly recommended.

Certain's correct about Halcyon Digest. Great album. If you like that, I'd get all of Deerhunter's albums but especially Microcastle which I think is their strongest. I used to favor HD but Microcastle is pretty perfect.

Titus Andronicus' The Monitor is a great, great album. Anthemic. Great lyrics, good for drinking. A few songs on it are legitimate 10/10's.

I'd recommend Joanna Newsome's Have One on Me (the latter half is really excellent melancholy music) and Vs.

Any and all things by The Antlers. Hospice is the go to recommendation to start out with. I enjoy everything by them, though.

If you like Father John Misty you might like Fleet Foxes. It's less personal folk, kind of twee. But they have some good songs and their Helplessness Blues is pretty solid throughout. Josh Tillman (Father John Misty) was their drummer and backup vocalist (I think?) before going solo. I wouldn't rate any of their work as highly as Honeybear.

Fiona Apple's Idler Wheel is dope.

Future of the Left's How to Stop Your Brain in an Accident has been one of my favorite albums released the past few years. It's nothing like the above rec's. Punk rockish, I guess. Great lyrics and grooves.

Deafheaven's Sunbather is a dope metal album that'll make you sad and rage and stuff.

PJ Harvey, Let England Shake

Everything from The National, Sharon Van Etten

Actor & Strange Mercy from St. Vincent.

Vampire Weekend's Modern Vampires is a must.

The Seer & To Be Kind by Swans are good if you're in the mood for being depressed and thinking nothing in life is worth anything at all.

Crash course on Pavement & The Pixies can't hurt. Most everything by Pavement is cool, and everything by The Pixies is dope except their recent reunion album, which is garbage dick.

Certain will disagree but the first Mars Volta album & At The Drive-In's Relationships of Command & Vaya EP are some dope guitar rock albums.

LISTEN TO THE ROLLING STONES BECAUSE THEY'RE DOPE TOO.

Certain
04-13-2015, 11:11 PM
I don't mind At the Drive-In, but it seems way too intense for our Zen friend.

Microcastle vs. Halcyon Digest is a lot like many of our musical differences (Okkervil River, The National, Chance The Rapper, The Antlers): You seem to prefer the earlier work and the more direct connection to the artist.

Adonis
04-14-2015, 08:37 AM
Sorry I been Mia, buddy of mine flew in from out of state so I been pre occupied. Off around 3, will vote then if still needed

Zen
04-14-2015, 12:13 PM
Thanks, brahs. I've got a lot to look up now.

Wise Wiggles
04-14-2015, 02:21 PM
Tom waits & aesop rock did an album mash up that is pretty fucking awesome