PDA

View Full Version : Specific Narrator Week

Vulgar
08-10-2015, 10:40 PM
Sup folks!

This week's topic is to challenge your writer's voice and get you out of your comfort zone. Your assignment this week is to write from the perspective of a specific character. This could be an inner monologue, writing from that person's thoughts, or any form of first person narration - as long as it fits the requirement, and the reader can get the distinct sense that this story/poem/viewpoint is being told from this particular character's mouth.

Let me know what you think of this concept.

Zelphish sraL Ullr Innovator Destroyer UnbornBuddha Silver ribbit Destroyer MMLP Rakontur Sn00p Objective

Inno
08-10-2015, 10:52 PM
Why you gimme sheep tho

Nah this sounds dope, its like a dream come true lol

Woke
08-10-2015, 11:23 PM
Sounds difficult

aka awesome

8===D~~~~(}:
08-11-2015, 12:22 AM
So I can write an anecdote?

Objective
08-11-2015, 04:43 AM
Cool shit.

8===D~~~~(}:
08-11-2015, 11:38 AM
So I can write an anecdote?

Vulgar

sral
08-11-2015, 12:28 PM
I'll allow you to write an anecdote since you're my opponent

Vulgar
08-12-2015, 08:25 PM
Vulgar

I mean, you can write whatever you choose.

Pharaohs Army
08-15-2015, 12:21 PM
House of Leaves @ Void

Pharaohs Army
08-15-2015, 12:31 PM
Innovator
I'm aware that the damage has been done but please delete the "initial quote" below.

I've had my own mind since last night.

Inno
08-15-2015, 12:47 PM
Ok, this probably won't be the style I use, nor will it be as long-winded-- but regarding the POV thing I thought it might be interesting to post this.
One of the few very old writings I have.
I KNOW IT'S NOT THAT GOOD-- IT'S 9 OR 10 YEARS OLD OKAY, LITERALLY...
I mean, I already see banality and commas in the wrong places, etc. But I'm not changing anything. Cuz although unpolished, it's also kind of cool as a blast from the past. (Aside from half of one recent open mic cypher verse, all I ever do is post new stuff).
Was for a creative writing course. No one else's fucking rhymed. Perhaps the early formation of pharaohs army.
F.y.i. all the "I's" & "me's" & "bulls" &"labyrinths" were italicized and in a different color, but when I copy&paste from word it doesn't do that. I'm not gonna go thru and re-do those.

The Labyrinth & The Minotaur

[M]aze-treaders, whose vision ahead and behind is severely constricted and fragmented, suffer confusion, whereas maze-viewers who see the pattern whole, from above or in a diagram, are dazzled by its complex artistry. What you see depends on where you stand, and thus, at one and the same time, labyrinths are single (there is one physical structure) and double: they simultaneously incorporate order and disorder, clarity and confusion, unity and multiplicity, artistry and chaos. They may be perceived as a path (a linear but circuitous passage to a goal) or as a pattern (a complete symmetrical design) . . . Our perception of labyrinths is thus intrinsically unstable: change your perspective and the labyrinth seems to change.
-Penelope Reed Doob, quoted by Mark Z. Danielewski in House of Leaves

The Labyrinth looms over the landscape.
The scope of the Maze is too big to imagine.
The infinite possibilities are too much to think of.
The way is treacherous, pitted, and trapped.
The walls are ivy and fungi-covered.
The ground is moist in places, rocky and jagged in others.
Landmarks may repeat or lead you astray.
Who is to say the Labyrinth is constant?
What would one do but surrender or succumb to insanity if the Maze
. shifted on them while they were meandering through it?
What kind of Beasts guard the interior?

According to ancient Greek myths, the great King Aegeus was forced to pay tribute to King Minos of the Minoans, whose kingdom was on an island we now call Crete. Every year the tribute included seven young men and seven young maidens. Underground, far below King Minos’ palace at the city of Knossos, laid a huge maze built for him by inventor and master architect Daedalus. Inside the maze Minos kept a monster called the Minotaur. The Minotaur was a hideous creature that was half man and half bull. The fourteen young people from Greece would be let loose into the maze (the labyrinth), where they would become hopelessly lost and eventually be eaten by the Minotaur.
According to the legend, King Aegeus’ son, Theseus, decided to volunteer as one of the sacrificial victims, so that he could attempt to kill the Minotaur. Theseus was successful. He slew the Minotaur, then used a trail of twine he’d started laying down at the entrance of the labyrinth to find his way out of the maze.
-fromThe UnMuseum website

Many a year ago in the days of the Greeks, there existed a deadly and terrible Beast. The Beast, it was Me. In reality, I was conceived through bestiality: product of a curse by God of the Sea.
For, in Crete, you see, the Greek Gods would always be changing form easily and Zeus once whimsically turned into a Bull. And boldly, he strolled to find the princess named Europa. He hoped to court her. She rode the shoulders of the bovine creature back to Crete where, Zeus then changed his Bull features back to original form. A normal son was born from Zeus and his maiden named Minos who was laden with title King of Crete.
During his rule, brothers and others would compete for glory and his title. The crown of King Minos was being questioned by rivals. He prayed to Poseidon for the survival of his Royalty. Poseidon would practice loyalty to Zeus, and send a Bull that Minos could use to prove divine heritage. Majestic and rare it was. The Bull was born of the Sea and was supposed to be used sacrificially. A gift for Poseidon who had specifically wanted the Bull offered. His wish would be scoffed toward by King Minos. Did he not think Poseidon would mind much?
Then came the phony ceremony, as Minos only sacrificed a normal Bull. The matrimony of the King was attacked. Poseidon was paying him back. There was revenge to be had. The curse was quite bad; on his wife it was done. (The Queen had a dad, Helios—God of the Sun). Pasiphae was Queen and, although Minos’ wife, she was cursed for her life to eternally lust for the Bull of pure white. That’s right. With uncontrollable passion for an animal fashioned from the Sea, the Queen got a craftsman named Daedalus to build a fabulous model of a cow so she and the Bull could mate, copulate, and impregnate. Thus, I originate from both woman and Beast.
If ever one were to feast eyes on Me, they would be surprised to see a man with the head of a Bull and a tail that is full. I still mull over my permanent shame. Minotaur is my name. Instead of fame I was outcast. King Minos was aghast; full of fright at the sight of a man with Bull features—a hideous Creature that needed to vanish. So he banished Me to the Labyrinth built by Daedalus. It was here that I lived out my days, doomed to the gloom and craze of the terrible Maze. I would roam the pathways. There were no fast ways to leave. Believe Me, I usually had naught to eat.
But King Minos of Crete would soon defeat Athens in a War at Sea. The spoils and tributes would be fourteen youths sent to Me. Annually, maidens and lads (seven apiece) were shipped to appease Me—to please Me as sustenance. But I must contend—not all were devoured. Rather, the hours and days of being lost and dazed in the Maze; they’d perish. I cherished my yearly feast. At least I, “the Beast”, could eat some fresh meat in my Labyrinth in Crete.
But danger was impending. Athens was sending Theseus, the Hero and Prince convinced that he could conquer both Me and the Labyrinth. He was beloved by a daughter of Minos named Ariadne, who very gladly gave to Theseus a golden thread made by Daedalus to help navigate the Labyrinth and assassinate Me. Ariadne also supplied a very nice sword in order to help Theseus slay Me.
Crazy how things turn out. I recall swings, burns, shouts. The sword made blood burst out of Me, but in a way I sort of felt proud to be out of misery. I can say I was killed over some Chivalry.
So many to blame for my life and for my shame. They were burned, and learned that playing games with the Gods is not sane. Kings try in vain to deceive Them, but don’t believe Them until the anger is released. At least, I, the Beast, am deceased and can now Rest In Peace.

Godam join the league already lol

8===D~~~~(}:
08-15-2015, 12:52 PM
So we can write anecdotes?

Pharaohs Army
08-15-2015, 01:24 PM
Godam join the league already lol

I did, i said In on week 8.. lol is there something else to officially join?

Inno
08-15-2015, 01:40 PM
Lol my bad didnt see that. Good to have you on board

Pharaohs Army
08-15-2015, 02:02 PM
Innovator

never really liked poetry so thanks for the encouragement brah.
u guys r kinda different animals tho
brb gonna go read some sylvia plath and maybe end things