PDA

View Full Version : Wordplay....

Unfukwitable
08-13-2015, 11:47 AM
Do you think there's a limitation?
Does your "connection" have to be within reason?
In other words, is it possible to be too far-fetched?
If so, then where do you draw the line?
Do you take into account accents when you read a verse? (Not just accents that vary across America, but British accents and other International accents too)
Does your wordplay in a text verse have to be transferable to an audio verse?
Is it ok to use played wordplays if they're a part of a bigger wordplay? (eg: using the likes of in bread/inbred as a part of a more complex play like Sicily view/sis'll leave you, etc)
Is it better to be complex, or simplistic? (no inbetweens)

Lets talk about it...

Strikta
08-13-2015, 11:52 AM
Yeah, there's a limitation.. don't over-do it.

Connection def has to be within reason, otherwise ur just rhyming a bunch of words for NO reason.

Very possible.

I draw the line in the sand.

I take into account accents sometimes, yes. But it rarely affects the verse. It's still English.

Not necessarily.

I feel like it is ok, yes.

It's not better either way.. it all just depends on how it connects to ur punch/diss. Whatever grabs the readers attention leading up to what ur trying to get across.

Unfukwitable
08-13-2015, 12:03 PM
Strikta Yea I was just wondering cus sometime I think of creative ass bars that may be a reach to others so I just scrap the idea all together.

Witty
08-13-2015, 12:05 PM
Wordplay can be extremely corny at times.

You have to be careful with it...say it out loud to yourself before you post.

Useless
08-13-2015, 12:19 PM
I wish ppl were more accepting of txt wp and realize this isn't audio, its txt.

joog
U fuckn wat hoes? Most sluts dont want no clown.
Ull never catch a whore eyes, Un..u just stalk them til the sun go down

Unfukwitable
when I put'em in a vegetable state, lets see how hard he'll really be;
U was never born into riches but u'll finally have, No response ability!

Just remembered these from the cypher. Most ppl would say those are a reach or stretch or don't work cause there's a pause but I like wp like that. I think its dope.

I like most types of wp as long as its tied in and worded correctly and it makes sense both ways.

Unfukwitable
08-13-2015, 12:21 PM
Thanks for Quoting a bar of mine :-) lol

but truth!

Ghost1
08-13-2015, 12:21 PM
Man this wat happens everytime the 1-2 punch starts lol

Queue the cringe inducing wps

Strikta
08-13-2015, 12:23 PM
Ion even use wordplay like that anymore in battles.. rarely.

If it's a live battle/audio then yeah, of course.. but otherwise in text it isn't too necessary imo.

Unfukwitable
08-13-2015, 12:27 PM
Man this wat happens everytime the 1-2 punch starts lol

Queue the cringe inducing wps

expand on that more

so I can get an understanding of the "cringe worthy"

Amen.
08-13-2015, 12:36 PM
If it isn't basic or working both ways, it shouldn't be used basically is what I get from Bags post.

anime_boners
08-13-2015, 12:39 PM
wordplay has and always been one of those things thats more of a hindrance to a battle verse than a perk. live or text.

most of the time, even when it isn't "forced" it feels... unnatural, I think is the best way to put it. like it almost always comes across like you tried REALLY hard to make it fit into your verse and that makes it stand out, and not in a good way.

at least in the way it's often done today.. wordplay is at it's best when it's subtle, and simple yet clever.

Unfukwitable
08-13-2015, 12:50 PM
wordplay has and always been one of those things thats more of a hindrance to a battle verse than a perk. live or text.

most of the time, even when it isn't "forced" it feels... unnatural, I think is the best way to put it. like it almost always comes across like you tried REALLY hard to make it fit into your verse and that makes it stand out, and not in a good way.

at least in the way it's often done today.. wordplay is at it's best when it's subtle, and simple yet clever.

Hush
08-13-2015, 01:15 PM
Yeah I don't think there is such a thing as too much

I do think it's horrible when ppl who don't know what they are doing are forcing it

Tbh I'm happy to see a resurgence of wp

Wise Wiggles
08-13-2015, 01:52 PM
Being creative is one thing. Being corny is another.

Unfukwitable
08-13-2015, 02:04 PM
Being creative is one thing. Being corny is another.

any examples of corny vs. creative in your eyes?

Fart
08-13-2015, 02:07 PM
SLOW IT DOWN I JUST DISSED YOU

Flow
08-13-2015, 02:58 PM
Do you think there's a limitation?
Does your "connection" have to be within reason?
In other words, is it possible to be too far-fetched?
If so, then where do you draw the line?
Do you take into account accents when you read a verse? (Not just accents that vary across America, but British accents and other International accents too)
Does your wordplay in a text verse have to be transferable to an audio verse?
Is it ok to use played wordplays if they're a part of a bigger wordplay? (eg: using the likes of in bread/inbred as a part of a more complex play like Sicily view/sis'll leave you, etc)
Is it better to be complex, or simplistic? (no inbetweens)

Lets talk about it...

Yes there is a limitation but only because of the following things you mentioned.

If your too far fetched it could actually be an amazing creative concept that everyone will love. But at the time of voting people might not get it unless you explained it to them. Then your swaying.

I am British so my issue with wording is I can't use the slang a lot of people are accustomed to and at the same time I can't use my own slang because again a lot of people wouldn't get it

No i don't think it has to be transferable to audio in the sense you can create a line that is fire in text that as a audio would come off awful

If it's played but is flipped freshly I don't see anything wrong with that. Let's face it there's a limit to wordplay. If you push it too far you may lose your reader by being too far fetched.

Simple is more consistent. I think complex is better and more people should risk it but you risk missing out on the votes.

Im no expert but I also have given much thought to the points you brought up.

Witty
08-13-2015, 03:29 PM
I don't believe explaining a concept is swaying.

Witty
08-13-2015, 03:29 PM
If you're asked to explain it.

Ghost1
08-13-2015, 03:38 PM
Well ud be WRONG

an yea if it don't work out loud without sayin the words all paused an awkward as fuck I can't dig it

I'm not as big on the needs to work both ways as some people are......tho I def consider it when judging the wp

Witty
08-13-2015, 03:43 PM
Well ud be WRONG

Why?

Ghost1
08-13-2015, 03:49 PM
GOSH

Ok

So....I feel like I have to explain wat a sway is annually

So here it is.....again.....

FUCKFACE

A sway.....is........ANY and all comments made after a battle has begun that could potentially SWAY or change the voters oppinion on said battle in progress

With this in mind

Explaining a bar to some1 who didn't get it previously could absolutely change the voters oppinion of who the winner was.........positively or negatively.....regardless it alters their perception of the battle at hand abtnd had you not said anything they would've remained PURE and UNTAINTED.

Lawyered. Stupid fox.

Witty
08-13-2015, 03:51 PM
GOSH

Ok

So....I feel like I have to explain wat a sway is annually

So here it is.....again.....

FUCKFACE

A sway.....is........ANY and all comments made after a battle has begun that could potentially SWAY or change the voters oppinion on said battle in progress

With this in mind

Explaining a bar to some1 who didn't get it previously could absolutely change the voters oppinion of who the winner was.........positively or negatively.....regardless it alters their perception of the battle at hand abtnd had you not said anything they would've remained PURE and UNTAINTED.

Lawyered. Stupid fox.

Ehh, I see your point.

It really wouldn't bother me if my opponent did it tho.

but fair enough.

lol untainted lol

un-taint-ed lol

lol taint.

Ghost1
08-13-2015, 03:53 PM
Hehe that was my fav part too

anime_boners
08-13-2015, 04:11 PM
an yea if it don't work out loud without sayin the words all paused an awkward as fuck I can't dig it

this

also, if you wouldn't combine those words in a natural sentence structure it comes off awkward

like the response-ability one above.. it works in terms of how you pronounce it.. but nobody would ever refer to being a vegetative states as lacking response ability.

Useless
08-13-2015, 04:15 PM
No but they could say he doesn't have the ability to respond.

anime_boners
08-13-2015, 04:18 PM
but he didn't. he said response ability. he rearranged it into a completely unnatural way of speaking this language to make it fit the wordplay.

I wouldn't call it 'FORCED', exactly.. but it comes off awkward.

Ghost1
08-13-2015, 04:20 PM
It's a reach for sure

sral
08-13-2015, 04:26 PM
Strikta Yea I was just wondering cus sometime I think of creative ass bars that may be a reach to others so I just scrap the idea all together.

keep em to use against the likes of remy, bonkers etc

Strikta
08-13-2015, 04:29 PM
Dope tags.

Come get this rep.

anime_boners
08-13-2015, 04:30 PM
lol @ tags

Rufus is my dude but that line was straight up bad.

Ghost1
08-13-2015, 04:32 PM
Dope tags.

Come get this rep.

In for field w puns

Ah thanku

Strikta
08-13-2015, 04:33 PM
I gotta spread more rep before giving to Bags again.

Lol.. I got u tho. At some point.

Flow
08-13-2015, 04:34 PM
I don't believe explaining a concept is swaying.

I don't believe in drunk fairies.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't abide by the rules they make.

Unfukwitable
08-13-2015, 05:12 PM
see now people think to technical ; thats what hinders creativity

"because who says that" vs. "can it be said"

...If a Dr. came and said "He's in a vegetable state" and u ask "what is that" and he responds "he has no response abilities" u gonna say "wtf u reachinggg doc!" #DONDEMARCO!

Once u put limits on words u kind of hurt your elevation in my eyes.

Witty
08-13-2015, 05:14 PM
I don't believe in drunk fairies.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't abide by the rules they make.

You abide by rules made by drunk fairies?

Flow
08-13-2015, 05:17 PM
You abide by rules made by drunk fairies?

Don't we all?

Witty
08-13-2015, 05:19 PM
Don't we all?

Indeed.

I don't know what I was thinking.

Flow
08-13-2015, 05:20 PM
Indeed.

I don't know what I was thinking.

You probably colour outside the lines and everything you rebel. Im sure they don't check netcees it's fine

Ghost1
08-13-2015, 05:30 PM
see now people think to technical ; thats what hinders creativity

"because who says that" vs. "can it be said"

...If a Dr. came and said "He's in a vegetable state" and u ask "what is that" and he responds "he has no response abilities" u gonna say "wtf u reachinggg doc!" #DONDEMARCO!

Once u put limits on words u kind of hurt your elevation in my eyes.

Lmfao I lold hard at don demarcoing the doc

But um

I would def give him a look...an in my head be like...tf u said fagit? We transferring hospitals ...

Victor.
08-13-2015, 05:33 PM
theres two types of txt battlers ppl who type shit as if they was saying it, and more intricate txt heads who have a "Read only" style

both are dope imho

We are reaching a point where everyone ISNT using the same style for once and I applaud that

Flow
08-13-2015, 05:37 PM
^^^this

Pharaohs Army
08-13-2015, 11:13 PM
I wish ppl were more accepting of txt wp and realize this isn't audio, its txt.

joog
U fuckn wat hoes? Most sluts dont want no clown.
Ull never catch a whore eyes, Un..u just stalk them til the sun go down

Unfukwitable
when I put'em in a vegetable state, lets see how hard he'll really be;
U was never born into riches but u'll finally have, No response ability!

Just remembered these from the cypher. Most ppl would say those are a reach or stretch or don't work cause there's a pause but I like wp like that. I think its dope.

I like most types of wp as long as its tied in and worded correctly and it makes sense both ways.

I tend to split the difference on some of these issues.
For example, on your first point.. I view txt as a means to an end.. But also realize that it's txt.. Sooo, I'd say that txt wp doesn't have to be "as cool with" or "perfectly built for" audio.. but it should also Never "fuck up" the phonetics or be such a stretch as to make things awkward..

as far as my opinion on those 2 examples, I'm just not feeling the first one by joog.. I think it sucks (although it's technically sound).. And no offense to joog I'm sure he has plenty of examples of "good" wp.. but in my view this isn't one of them. if it's corny it better be pretty dang funny and/or clever, and i am just not amused by that example.

the second example by Un is fine for txt without screwing up the flow or phonetics. granted i did have to try it a couple different ways but i think that's mainly cuz i kinda suck..
But anyway, it's kinda clever and "not as stretchy".. so i don't have a problem with it; but i also wouldn't cite it in a vote and be like "Omg he merked with that wp gotta give a major boost to the verse bcuz of it".. more like a "bit of seasoning" (that being a dope metaphor, with the meat of the verse being the main ingredients).. anyway..

again,just my opinions

Magnum Force
08-13-2015, 11:17 PM
My Wyatt line was a perfect recent example of excellent wordplay usage.

Poison Sumac would be the opposite recent example.