PDA

View Full Version : Flowing water on Mars

Tic
10-05-2015, 10:50 AM
Yea yea a bit late, but the implications now that it's FACT are huge. If life exists on one of our closest neighbors, Mars, in these flowing waters during the warmer seasons, that is almost a guarantee that life is allllllllllll over the Universe. Thoughts?

Sovereign
10-05-2015, 10:51 AM
I'm just going to sit back in this thread and watch as the idiots claim there's undoubtedly life on it.

sral
10-05-2015, 10:55 AM
It's a mathematical probability there is life elsewhere in the universe, no?

@assburgers

Tic
10-05-2015, 10:56 AM
I'm just going to sit back in this thread and watch as the idiots claim there's undoubtedly life on it.
Not undoubtedly, but you can't possibly say there isn't a good chance now that we found FLOWING WATER on it...

Tic
10-05-2015, 10:59 AM

@assburgers
Considering the amount of Exoplanets discovered and their relative position to their host star, yes. But I'd imagine this raises that probability quite a bit.

Amen.
10-05-2015, 11:01 AM
nerd

Sovereign
10-05-2015, 11:01 AM

@assburgers

I'd say that it's more likely than not.

Interestingly, if we assume that the universe is infinite in size (or near-infinite), it disproves the concept that instantaneous travel is possible by contradiction. If instantaneous travel were possible, undoubtedly some hyper-advanced civilization would have turned us into computing material by now. (Unless, of course, you want to get into odd metaphysics or simulation hypotheses, in which case I can't really help you.)

Not undoubtedly, but you can't possibly say there isn't a good chance now that we found FLOWING WATER on it...

There's lots of flowing water in the universe. The presence of water doesn't necessarily lead to life; conversely, life doesn't necessarily need water. Only Earth's life does, and we have no guarantee that life anywhere else in the universe would be even similar.

Witty
10-05-2015, 11:06 AM
Anywhere on earth there is water, there is life.

This is a huge discovery, but not exactly evidence of life, it just increases the iikelihood.

puravida
10-05-2015, 11:06 AM
we can't even deal with life here.

Witty
10-05-2015, 11:08 AM
If instananeous travel were possible I don't see how that would mean we would have been turned in to computing material by now?

An infinite universe does not guarantee an hyper advanced civilisation, for a start.

Tic
10-05-2015, 11:16 AM
Life in the Universe may not need water, correct, but as Witty said, everywhere there is water on Earth there is life. That's not to say that wherever there is water there is life elsewhere, but it increases the likelihood astronomically.

I believe we have been visited before and continue to be visited by Extraterrestrials. Call me crazy but there are way too many red flags from all the Ancient Civilizations for me not to believe.

Destroyer
10-05-2015, 11:29 AM

Interestingly, if we assume that the universe is infinite in size (or near-infinite), it disproves the concept that instantaneous travel is possible by contradiction. If instantaneous travel were possible, undoubtedly some hyper-advanced civilization would have turned us into computing material by now. (Unless, of course, you want to get into odd metaphysics or simulation hypotheses, in which case I can't really help you.)

There's lots of flowing water in the universe. The presence of water doesn't necessarily lead to life; conversely, life doesn't necessarily need water. Only Earth's life does, and we have no guarantee that life anywhere else in the universe would be even similar.

This isn't necessarily true. We live in a carbon-based universe. It's quite logical to assume that water, which is abundant in the universe, and a pretty simple compound of hydrogen and oxygen, both of which are extremely abundant in the universe, could be a necessary building block or requirement of all life.

puravida
10-05-2015, 11:35 AM
This isn't necessarily true. We live in a carbon-based universe. It's quite logical to assume that water, which is abundant in the universe, and a pretty simple compound of hydrogen and oxygen, both of which are extremely abundant in the universe, could be a necessary building block or requirement of all life.

This.

Agreed

sral
10-05-2015, 11:35 AM

So life elsewhere isn't a mathematical probability?

1. As soon as the earth was suitable for life, life appeared. Though not proof, it does kinda hint that life isn't that hard once the conditions are right.

2. Large numbers of the different parts of life have been shown to spontaneously form from filling a flask with the chemicals that were on the earth when it formed, and zapping them with sparks ( lightning )

3. The Universe is big. REALLY big. I'm not sure you're getting how big it is. There are more stars in the universe than there are grains of sand on all the beaches on the entire earth. So even if life is very unlikely to start, which evidence doesn't really show it is, you still have 5,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 rolls of the dice to get life. And that's just now! The universe has been rolling those dice for around for 13,700,000,000 years, and will keep rolling them for many more billions of years to come.

All that strongly suggests life elsewhere is probable.

sral
10-05-2015, 11:37 AM
Are you a gambling man, assburgers?

Chill Phil
10-05-2015, 11:51 AM
Yea yea a bit late, but the implications now that it's FACT are huge. If life exists on one of our closest neighbors, Mars, in these flowing waters during the warmer seasons, that is almost a guarantee that life is allllllllllll over the Universe. Thoughts?

they've already got a line up of people to go to mars and try to live there

Amen.
10-05-2015, 11:56 AM
Life in the Universe may not need water, correct, but as Witty said, everywhere there is water on Earth there is life. That's not to say that wherever there is water there is life elsewhere, but it increases the likelihood astronomically.

I believe we have been visited before and continue to be visited by Extraterrestrials. Call me crazy but there are way too many red flags from all the Ancient Civilizations for me not to believe.

you are one of them

that nose can not be human bruh

Tic
10-05-2015, 12:23 PM
they've already got a line up of people to go to mars and try to live there
Wasn't that a Hoax? I thought someone told me it was. Either way, as sraL said, the Universe is incomprehensibly large. There are hundreds of billions of stars in almost every galaxy (some more, some less). Let's say there is even 1 planet per star (very conservative), that's 100,000,000,000 x 100,000,000,000 = 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000!!! That's 10 sextillion opportunities for there to be life. Not every planet has life, so let's say the percentage of life were 1 out of a hundred billion (1/100,000,000,000), there would still be 100 billion planets with life, lol.....it's insane.

uh-oh
10-05-2015, 12:25 PM
I was under the impression there is EVIDENCE of flowing water something to do with salt deposits or some shit. They didnt actually FIND flowing water just evidence there could be

As sovereign noted tho you might not need water for life. Weve found life in like sulfuric acidic pools of death on earth. The fact mars is such a desolate nothingness makes me think life there is impossible. If we could land and recover shit from venus i think there is a higher chance of finding some weird acidic bacteria there than finding water based life on mars

uh-oh
10-05-2015, 12:27 PM
Also aliens have never been here. Ancient man doesnt get enough credit for his achievements.

Witty
10-05-2015, 12:38 PM
Also aliens have never been here. Ancient man doesnt get enough credit for his achievements.

This.

Witty
10-05-2015, 12:42 PM
Not to say we haven't been visited by aliens, because I haven't been around forever, but there is no solid evidence for it imo and I've looked very hard lol

Sovereign
10-05-2015, 12:55 PM
So life elsewhere isn't a mathematical probability?

1. As soon as the earth was suitable for life, life appeared. Though not proof, it does kinda hint that life isn't that hard once the conditions are right.

2. Large numbers of the different parts of life have been shown to spontaneously form from filling a flask with the chemicals that were on the earth when it formed, and zapping them with sparks ( lightning )

3. The Universe is big. REALLY big. I'm not sure you're getting how big it is. There are more stars in the universe than there are grains of sand on all the beaches on the entire earth. So even if life is very unlikely to start, which evidence doesn't really show it is, you still have 5,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 rolls of the dice to get life. And that's just now! The universe has been rolling those dice for around for 13,700,000,000 years, and will keep rolling them for many more billions of years to come.

All that strongly suggests life elsewhere is probable.

I'm not knowledgeable about biology, chemistry, or physics, so I don't have much comment to make on this.

One thing, though: you mention the size of the universe. That's just the observable universe... I'm fairly sure that we don't know how large the whole thing is.

sral
10-05-2015, 01:48 PM
I didn't mention a size other than it being incredibly huge.

I was merely correcting you on the fact life elsewhere is a mathematical probability at this point.

Which it most certainly is.

Tic
10-05-2015, 01:58 PM
Oh you're positive about this? Lmao....The two don't necessarily go hand in hand. I'm talking about tons of cave paintings, actual paintings, stories, etc. Not only from 1 civilization, but almost all of the Ancient civilizations across the globe have some experience with "beings from the sky." That's an undeniable truth.

I agree that Ancient people don't get enough credit, but it certainly raises some questions....especially when we would think to find tons of ancient machinery, but have not.

And no, they haven't actually witnessed flowing water, but they did PROVE that there is based on the salt deposits left there. It's not speculation anymore, it's proof. There is also water ice on the moon in craters that have never seen sunlight. That has the potential for life as well.

mayniuhh
10-05-2015, 04:13 PM
Oh you're positive about this? Lmao....The two don't necessarily go hand in hand. I'm talking about tons of cave paintings, actual paintings, stories, etc. Not only from 1 civilization, but almost all of the Ancient civilizations across the globe have some experience with "beings from the sky." That's an undeniable truth.

I agree that Ancient people don't get enough credit, but it certainly raises some questions....especially when we would think to find tons of ancient machinery, but have not.

And no, they haven't actually witnessed flowing water, but they did PROVE that there is based on the salt deposits left there. It's not speculation anymore, it's proof. There is also water ice on the moon in craters that have never seen sunlight. That has the potential for life as well.

To be clear, I know nothing.

That said, I thought water came from suns via solar winds. If I am correct in this belief, how does that work?

uh-oh
10-05-2015, 07:09 PM
Oh you're positive about this? Lmao....The two don't necessarily go hand in hand. I'm talking about tons of cave paintings, actual paintings, stories, etc. Not only from 1 civilization, but almost all of the Ancient civilizations across the globe have some experience with "beings from the sky." That's an undeniable truth. i'm as positive as can be based on actual evidence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUUzQINoark

that about sums it up^. as for cave paintings its just nonsense. if you have any in mind that i can specifically address let me know. i'm guessing your talking like the "swirls" and the stick figures or whatever that look like they have on helmets? it could be anything. it only could be an alien if you want it to be that lol.

every civilization talks of beings from the sky because pretty much across the board thats where gods lived. even if your god was the sun and moon or planets etc. any mythology surrounding gods interacting with humans has to come from there. where else would the gods come from? lol.

keep in mind ancient people had a much more intimate relationship with the nights sky, so for them not to have theories to explain what they don't understand is more far fetched then they believe creatures from another planet came to them.

I agree that Ancient people don't get enough credit, but it certainly raises some questions....especially when we would think to find tons of ancient machinery, but have not..there is more than enough evidence for every single ancient construction, proving its man made.

you are vastly underestimating the enormity of space. i think its utterly ricidulous to think even if we had 100 thousand more years of unhindered development that we could actually make it anywhere in space.

i firmly believe that there are probably living beings on our level and past it on planets all over the universe, the problem comes in that unless they are literally in our neighborhood of our galaxy, it isn't anywhere near probable that they could make it here, let alone make it all the way out here, and arrange some stones and leave.

Ghost1
10-05-2015, 07:44 PM
we can't even deal with life here.

Lol. Yep. That's all I needed from this thread. Legit.