PDA

View Full Version : WK16: 8-5 Mr. J vs. 3-8 Timeless - Mr J wins

Adonis
11-07-2015, 10:16 AM
AOWL Season V, Week 16

SUMMARY OF RULES:

Verses are due
WEDNESDAY at 9 P.M. Pacific/West Coast or WEDNESDAY 11:59 PM Eastern / 6:00 AM THURSDAY Central European/London
There are NO extensions.

Verses MUST be a minimum 10 lines or a maximum of 48 lines (or 650 words).

Votes are due Friday at 4:00 p.m. Western / or Friday 7:00 PM Eastern / 1:00 AM Saturday Central European/London Failure to vote will result in automatic sign out for the next week.

All competitors must vote on THREE battles

Read the full rules here! (http://www.netcees.org/showthread.php?t=119848)

Topic: Flickering Light

G/Luck

Mr. J
11-11-2015, 08:15 PM
I am drawn by the unknown, captivated by the mystery of night
who knew in these moments; we could bring modern history to life
we could toss misery aside and focus on the limits we find...
recreate the visions of the mind that seem distant...
Aside from a few intellectuals we often see how ignorance survives
between the instances of lies & behind those images who hide
I find a relaxation, I recline, and become the witness of times...
My how the times have changed, how talent has diminished inside
look at the willingness to fatten themselves up while sippin a Sprite...
what a cool theatre....now I have to find the restroom in the flickering light

timeless
11-11-2015, 10:03 PM
Adrift with the tide, nightfall lends its falling sky.
Cries heard from the inlet, images of solemn eyes.
Limited, calm and wise. Endurance of a thousand lives.
Mourning the adored men who all found their minds...

...Then they fucking lost 'em again!
Now, let's take a second and pretend :
On your last text you didn't hit SEND,
And the receiver didn't read it while speeding around a bend.
Seemingly you'd be ahead,
but now you're still breathing.
And SHE'S DEAD!

Close your eyes and imagine :
Broken minds missing passion.

Exis
11-12-2015, 03:17 AM
Mr. J - This is one of the better flowin' pieces I've read from you, multies are nice with it...content is straight...Its short & sweet, couldn't ask for much else.

timeless - your multies are off @ times which makes places odd when readin' for me...length hurts things also...some of what's here be ok but there's just too little of it & what is served up isn't really to my taste so yeah.

Vote - Mary Jane.

MMLP
11-12-2015, 05:17 AM
I think its fair to keep this brief.. a real end of season match up here

Tim - hard to really know what was going on in ur verse, a crash caused by texting? I didn’t really know what the ending was supposed to say/ represent, maybe it’s a subliminal and im having a blond moment but the ending could have been cleared up to finish the scene you created, that’s my only real criticism for relatively short piece

J’s flow and delivery of the topic was much smoother, ‘sippin a sprite’ lolololol loved it!
Nice take on a topic and executed really well. I have to consider you top tier becuz this come across seemingly effortless tbh (keyed). Good little read here.

v/ Mr J this time

2tripple0
11-12-2015, 02:08 PM
For me I felt like Mr j's verse was a bit too generic whereas timeless came with some dope material beginning middle and end....it was also fresh structure which often isn't like timeless to do so yeah because his piece felt more intriguing to me whereas mr j was a bunch of rhymes with no meaning really portrayed throughout his work so yeah,......vote: timeless

asylum
11-12-2015, 05:53 PM
Mr. J - great flow, rhymes are proper. had no idea what was going on until the end, you did weave it in throughout. I enjoyed your tone. very calming, melodic. however, your last bar was in a completely different voice. it threw me off. favorite lines..
I am drawn by the unknown, captivated by the mystery of night
who knew in these moments; we could bring modern history to life

good openening lines. got me interested enough to get into it.

timeless - for such a short piece, I don't think the breaks were appropriate. sticking to the same tone would've helped you a bit. rhymes were very simple in the second stanza, but the first one was strong. I think you should've stuck with the tone from the first stanza but in all reality you were going for a twist in a very short amount of lines so you gave it a good shot. I think this was hit and miss but you did a lot with what space you had available, so with that being said.. this was a cool little piece and I enjoyed the read but it was pretty fucked up!

/v mr j took this with mechanics and flow.

Nigma
11-13-2015, 08:09 PM
j, good job creating something in that few lines. cool enigmatic buildup and then revealing this unknown at the end, pretty effective at this length so well done. mechanics sound as well.

timeless, a decent segment of writing, but it kinda felt just like that. mechanics weren't bad at all but the progression of the content just felt like it would have been better suited for a longer verse.

vote to the more complete verse

+1 Mr. J