View Full Version : Round One Mag: The Introductions

Adonis
01-04-2016, 07:03 PM
~The Mag: The Introductions~

~Intro~

First and foremost, let's all pay homage to AOWL Season V Champion

GODCOMPLEX

~Feature Artist: Miscelaneous~

No time to do a feature artist as I usually do, sorry, my net has been in and out so I'm posting what I can while I can

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK0zBcVJkSM

~Introducing the Field~

~The Favorites~

GodComplex

Fresh off a Three straight victories against upper echelon talent, while dropping only one vote on his way to the AOWL championship, dude is on a roll. Deserving of the #1 overall seed, though I admit, if he lost the finals I would have ranked him a few spots south.

DeadMan

The only Two Time AOWL champion in history, (seasons 1 and 4) Deadman, whom I know as Blacketh or Black, is quite honestly in a league above the rest along with Cake in my eyes. His one knock is the amount of no-shows he has and the effort he puts forth. He is susceptible to losses in which he is highly favored in because of this, still, one of the best pure writers you will read.

PancakeBrah

Pancake hosted the first installment of the Winter Topical and ran it superbly, he now gets to sit back and have a go at what he built as the most coveted and hard to get tournament belt there is to date on the net. Cake is no push over, we all know this. At times he can underperform in his standards, but even his worst work would be able to push him into the quarterfinals. I expect big things as I feel like he will be more motivated then usual, which spells trouble for the rest of the field.

Argh aka B.E

BE has been one of the best writers ever, I mean that in the literall sense. The last verse I remember from her and Pancake were when they faced each other about a year ago at our homesite PR, which was one of the best battles I read in about a decade or so. She can beat anyone stylistically, rarely misses conceptually and even more rarely losses. Has been away for some time, but she stepped away in the past for years only to return in rare form.

Frank

Here's to hoping you don't shoot yourself in the foot again. Record holder in DQ's and No Show losses in Five Seasons of AOWL, yet also holds most victories by a quite a bit. Frank isn't the type of guy to blow you away each and every week, though he can outwrite anyone. He usually wins with length or pure style, which he has mastered. I look forward to no less then a quarterfinal appearance from this willy vet.

Soulstice

The Return of the Champion. Soul has scracely graced us with his presence since he champed The Short-Verse Topical Tourney over a year ago. He takes long spurts of time off, but soul has a poetic style that never leaves his fingers, and never goes out of style. The time off might effect him early, but if he can get out of round two, he will be in full stride and primed for no less then semifinals in my eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okF5gOTX9uM

~A Shot Away

Pinot Grij

Pinot is similar to soulstice in his writing, but he's had less success and been away even longer, that is the only reason he is not listed as a favorite. Pinot is a conceptual writer, he can blow you out of the water with a fast ball that comes out of nowehere, or he can slow roll you to death with pure execution. A step bellow the favorites, if he doesn't lose in the first two rounds he will be the match no higher seeds wishes to face.

Witty

Witty is one of the best writers here, but along with Frank, is his own worst enemy in a very big way. He often waits last minute to write and yet still could crush anyone with a key. He wrote one of my favorite verses of all time and has a flow that doesn't falter at all. He might have just cracked the top ten, but in reality, if he tries each round, he could easily prove why he deserves but didn't get a top four seed.

Diode

I will admit Diode has penned some stellar verses. He holds a win streak, which I believe is the record still, but unsure, of something like 8 wins consecutively in AOWL. Dude can beat the best when he's at his best, but his worse is not at the same level as the elite. So unless the topic tickels his fancy allowing him to be creative, he is able to lose a match in which he is favored. I see a couple wins then his real bracket will begin.

NYCSPITZ

One of my favorite writers of all time, he deserves a higher seed. But, much like Witty, he tends to get in his own way, thus lowering his value. NYC can out write anyone and rarely under performs. The only downside with him in all honesty is his interest. He claims to be pumped for this, but time will tell. His first two matches he will need to pump himself up for as they might be a bit of unknown to him, but believe his ranking gives him a harder path then the top 6. I see him lasting to the semis, upsetting at least one higher seed.

~The Underdogs~

VividlyVague

I had Vivid ranked about 4 spots higher originally because he just seems to win no matter who he's the underdog against. Lars convinced me otherwise. Either way, he would have been listed as a underdog because I really do think he's under appreciated as far as talent level. I think he can make a late push in the bracket, but he'll have one of the toughest roads to do so. Thus, I feel like he might get one win, but no more then three.

Cimmerian

I really should put him in the Unkown category, but I know a bit about him and have read enough to know that he is not new to this game. I read maybe two verses and a part of a third and just stopped, I saw enough to warrant this ranking. I believe he can make a deep push, but will be faced with tough match up after tough match up. It's more of a consistency thing at his ranking. Will he be able to withstand fierce competition right out the gate?? Yes, but I see 1-2 wins max.

Mr. J

Could easily be ranked higher, but I feel like he's a bit burnt out right now. Dating back to week 14 through the playoffs, Jay has simply under performed and not tried very hard. He's now had a few weeks off so he might be rested, but then again, even at his best he is not capable of beating elite competition say three weeks in row, which will be needed this time around. I think he can win into the semis, he has the ability to, but I feel like it might be an early exit this year round.

Razah

This is a guy I struggled with ranking. Writing wise, he's one of the best pure lyricists there are, I mean rhyming and format wise. He tends to write short verses so I don't think he can get past the quarter finals unless the chips fall his way and he faces people who write similar lengths. I'll be honest, if this were a short verse tourney I think he might crack the top 6, alas, it is what it is.

Bags

I struggled with this ranking more then any other. I swear I have read topicals from you before under an alias, but I can't recall the name. Considering your resume, there is no doubt that you know what's what. Topical though, question marks. If you show and get past the first round, you will have busted the bracket and primed to make a deep push.

MMLP

Easily the most underrated writer this tourney has to offer. MMLP has not been doing this very long. He's made strides forward in mastering an art in leaps over the past year. He's developing a concept style that I too utilize yet is done by no other really, he also has a knack for, on occasion, dropping a conceptual piece that swings for the fences and connects. Currently a top 5 read of mine in this tourney, still a few rungs bellow what it takes to win.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UziocaSimyc

~Middle of the Pack~

Objective

OB OB. I feel like you have dissapointed me in the past two years. You just haven't been around and recently admitted to having a bad case of writers block. This low seeding should feel like a slap in the face, because you really are much better then this. I think you have the ability, when you are firing on all cylinders, to advance deep in the bracket, but alas, I feel like you are a hit or miss. Not a long shot, not a favorite, but not a surprise to upset more then one high seed either.

Timeless

You are dead center of this bracket. If you get out of round one you will be tasked with toughest road for advancing. I think you have what it takes to pull out an upset or two. But I feel like you like the consistency in upsetting upper echelon talent for a month straight. Time will tell ironically, you have BOTW in your opening round.

Innovator

Inno is one of my personal favorite writers. I think he can out write anyone poetically, but lacks certain aspects as far as consistency in flow and concept and overall execution to truly warrant a high seed. I know that he can pull out more then one upset here, the problem is, he will have to come out swinging from round one just to get a date with elite talent. I think he can make a deep push, but realistically feel like he will be one and done. G/Luck brother man.

Mike Wrecka

This was a tricky ranking for me. In the end I settled with not so much ranking, but more so giving him a tough win right out the gate in order to prove he has not lost a step. I couldn't tell you the last time Mike wrote a verse. Rust will be evident I believe, but he was decent in his prime. I admit I am down on him compared to others, but still, realize he has some hefty wins under his belt. I don't foresee a deep run to his lengthy lay off of missing in action

Flo Real

Flo is actually a very talented writer when he is on. The problem is he is not at his best enough, and his worst is not that great. I think he gets a bad rap in the AOWL for having a bad record because he faced some very good talent and lost some very close matches. I think he can squeak out a win or possibly two, but that's about it.

Zen

The prodigal son returns. It's been a long time though, I would say too long. Last time you graced us you were champing the AOWL right? That is not easy to do, though as I remember correctly the talent pool was just not there. Still, AOWL champ is AOWL champ in any fashion. Tough match right out the gate, sink or swim. If you get that first win along with some motivation and momentum, I think you can make a run at the quarter finals. We shall see. Best of Luck my friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sucz-zqERlE

~The Unknowns~

Brokenhal0

Witty claims you are good, this is the only reason you were not ranked 30 or lower. I could find next to nothing on you and given the seed I don't think you make it out of round one.

Neutral

I have read a verse or two from you and the verdict is not out quite yet. Do I think you can advance? Well, no, otherwise you would be ranked higher. But, if you show there's a chance your competitor no shows and you get a reserve match that would give you a far better shot.

Maximus

Witty says you have talent that might suprise. This may be true, but due to the lack of verses posted on NetCess you are unknown, thus drawing the impossible match of BE. God Speed, should be a fun a read.

Puravida

You are a vet of all things battling, but nothing in lieu of Topicals or Poems. The skill will be evident, and your first match is against someone prone to no-showing so you will very likely be re-matched against a far easier opponent. I'm excited to see what you have here.

Slecht

Multiple no-shows in AOWL. That's all you get.

Grafx

While you have some fight in you in discussion, there was nothing to pull from as far as verses go. I matched you against Frank, because if he does show and you are an Alias, this will be a solid fucking measuring stick for the both of you. I don't think you make it far either way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSyfOkoe-rw

~The Long Shots~

Tyson

Tyson, Tyson, Tyson. In AOWL history, off the top of my head, I would say you've been apart of 12 battles with at least 6 of them being no-show losses. That hurts my feelings in all honesty. Hopefully you show, because you can write a solid verse every now and again. Possible one and done, more likely to just be done.

Fraze

You have no-showed more then once as well. But I remember the name, which is a good thing for you. I feel like if you were to get out of round one you could actually play spoiler to a higher seed. I don't think this is likely, but recognize your talent level and realize that it's not out of the question.

Pharaohs Army

Dark horse in the opening round. If you perform at your peak you can send someone home early. If you drop anything less then your best you'll be on your way quickly. I don't see a long stint in the tournament, but won't rule out at least 1-2 upsets.

JESODIST

Long shot is true, but dark horse is more likely. I know you can beat out a top ranked seed if you catch them sleeping and go for the jugular. Time will tell, but the ability is evident. I don't see a deep run, but do see a potential spoiler alert early on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzeczclqwGo

~Round One Predictions~

#1GodComplex vs. #32 Slecht

Buddha is in swing coming out as AOWL season V champion, but this could actually work against him in terms of fatigue. I will admit this knocks him down a peg, still heavily favored

GC 95%

#2 DeadMan vs. #31 puravida

Blacketh has been known for not really trying, but also by not trying is still better then most. If he shows, puravida might still be able to play spoiler due to black being missing in action for a long time. Puravida can play spoiler.

DeadMan 90%

#3 PancakeBrah vs. #30 Tyson

Pancake, if he shows, should be able to waltz into the next round as he's a far superior writer. If he decides to wait to write just before the deadline, which is likely, and Tyson actually writes a verse, he can edge it out, still.

Pancake 95%

#4 Argh vs. #29 Maximus

Argh should be motivated here, enough to pick apart her competition. However maximus has been touted as a talent that will surprise, still should be out matched here.

B.E. 99%

#5 Frank vs. #28 Grafx

Now we are getting away from the gimmies. Frank has been known to flail in the wind, be it by no show or DQ. Grafx seems like an Alias who wanted a good match right out the gate. I think this is a toss up given the unkown Grafx, but Frank, let's be honest, monster in the game.

Frank 90%

#6 NYCSPITZ vs. #27 JESODIST

Another fair match here. If NY drops anything but his worse work he should be able to win handily. If Jesodist on the other hand decides to go all out while NYC overlooks his opponent which is not out of the question, this could turn out to be a very close match. As is, Nyc will be the favorite, but will need to come out of the gate swinging as Jeso is better then his ranking.

NYC 85%

#7 Pinot Grij vs. #26 Brokenhal0

I'm excited to find out what Brokenhal0 really can do as Wtty asked me to rank him higher yet I declined. This match is intriguing, though Pinot is a beast in his own right. He can produce high level verses but has also underwhelmed from time to time missing conceptually or just being too deep or vague for voter preference. He'll still be a heavy favorite, but realistically I think this one will actually be a bit closer then people think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7oWSgYz388

Pinot Grij 88%

#8 Witty vs. #25 Pharaohs Army

Pharaoh can beat Witty IF Witty does not come correct. Witty is prone to playing to his level of competition, so he could get caught looking into the next round. If Pharaoh comes correct with a strong effort he can foresseibly knock off the higher seed. Is that possible? Yes. Likely? No

Witty 86%

#9 Cimmerian vs. #24 Fraze

This is a toss up for me. While Cimmerians catalog on Netcess is not big, the ability is evident. Fraze is an underdog who could easily pull out the round one upset. While Cimmerian is the favorite, this really could go either way.

Cimmerian 72%

#10 Soulstice vs. #23 Neutral

Soulstice has been away for some time now. I dont think he can lose this opening match, but if the unkown Neutral can kick into high gear right out of the gate, he can make it interesting. Though I can't envision a scneario where he squeaks by the most consistent of writers in Soul.

Soulstice 95%

#11 Diode vs. #22 Zen

This battle is very intriguing to me. Diode doesn't write a lot, but it seems when he does he makes deep runs. Zen doesn't write a lot, any more at least, but it seemed like he was coming into his own season 4 of AOWL. This match should be close, but I do feel like Diode can do just enough to edge it out.

Diode 65%

#12 VividlyVague vs. #21 Flo Real

Vivid is the better writer, but Flo Real is capable of winning this. I think Vivid gave it all he could in making the finals of AOWL and losing. He should be in form but also might be a bit worn out. Flo has the talent level to not only get out of round one but could play spoiler round two as well.

Vivid 56%

#13 Mr. J vs. #20 Bags

I really don't know what Bags can do topical wise. Mr. J is at his best when he faces better talent because he wants to prove he's better then the best, but he also losses matches for not trying and not caring. I think the name of Bags will bring out the best of Jay, while Bags will actually try, as he vows to.

50/50

#14 Razah vs. #19 Innovator

This match I purposely created. At a certain point I stopped looking at rankings and thought about what would constitute a great read. These two posses similar styles and talent level. Inno is more poetical and at his best can beat anyone in the field. Razah is possibly the most consistent and has the better rhymes. This will be highly competitive and one of the most fun and quick reads as I don't see either writer going over say 22 lines.

Razah 51%

#15 Objective vs. #18 Mike Wrecka

Another solid match here. I'd say between 12-22 were pretty interchangeable, so that is where I started viewing match ups as opposed to rankings. Objective vs. Mike is about as even as they come. Mike has been MIA for like 2 years now I think, which is could for the mind, bad for form in terms of writing. OB as well, has not been active and when he has been active has not been the same. Whoever makes it out will be faced with a tough round two match but either of these guys have what it takes to overthrow some higher seeds. Great opening round match though. I see a classic in the making.

Mike Wrecka 51%

#16 MMLP vs. #17 Timeless

This is BOTW or BOTRound for me. Each of these guys are underrated and could easily be ranked higher. Time is a proven vet at the young age of 26 I think. I know for sure that neither of these guys has hit there prime, though I think MMLP's ceiling is much higher. Timeless can easily pick up a win here and prove his worth. But I can't make him the favorite in this match up with a good conscience.

MMLP 55%

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE7qP2Bb-HE

~Outro~

That's all for now. It's going to be mission to breakdown 16 battles and 32 verses for next weeks mag so don't expect them do be in depth, just being real.

Ghost1
01-04-2016, 07:11 PM
Dope. Nice mag.

Inno
01-04-2016, 08:41 PM
thanks for the read my nigga

dead man
01-04-2016, 08:55 PM
Awesome work here dude thank you.

Cimmerian is a favorite of mine for season champ if he stays consistent. You heard it here first.

Certain
01-04-2016, 09:31 PM
BE has been one of the best writers ever, I mean that in the literall sense.

I know my friend Argh caught that.

Cimmerian

I really should put him in the Unkown category, but I know a bit about him and have read enough to know that he is not new to this game. I read maybe two verses and a part of a third and just stopped, I saw enough to warrant this ranking. I believe he can make a deep push, but will be faced with tough match up after tough match up. It's more of a consistency thing at his ranking. Will he be able to withstand fierce competition right out the gate?? Yes, but I see 1-2 wins max.

Cimmerian might be the greatest text rap writer of all time. I'm not kidding when I say that. sraL can back me up. I don't know whether he'll write long enough or on topic enough to win this, but he's no underdog.

But otherwise, good magazine.

PancakeBrah
01-04-2016, 09:51 PM
Putting Zen in the 'Middle of the Pack' category is incorrect.

Otherwise, nice magazine.

puravida
01-04-2016, 10:07 PM
cooolio homie

UnbornBuddha
01-04-2016, 10:25 PM
Phenomenal magazine, but Deadman should be first. And the Cimmerian comment has me excited, we appear to have a legend in our midst.

Good work friend. And yes I'm quite fatigued from the AOWL. And where is Lars, why isn't he competing?

Cimmerian
01-04-2016, 11:10 PM
I'm flattered by the comments.

But don't believe the hype, y'all.

Cimm.

Vulgar
01-05-2016, 01:57 AM
I'm hyped to watch this unfold.

sral
01-05-2016, 10:37 AM

Cimmerian might be the greatest text rap writer of all time. I'm not kidding when I say that. sraL can back me up. I don't know whether he'll write long enough or on topic enough to win this, but he's no underdog.

But otherwise, good magazine.

confirmed

Cimm is def not an unknown quantity in this, he's dope

it will basically come down to him writing pieces of length in the later rounds and whether he is willing to do that

sixteens will only take him so far

sral
01-05-2016, 10:38 AM
Phenomenal magazine, but Deadman should be first. And the Cimmerian comment has me excited, we appear to have a legend in our midst.

Good work friend. And yes I'm quite fatigued from the AOWL. And where is Lars, why isn't he competing?

i'll fill in if there's some kind of late sub needed or whatever

i'm writing/ prepping for a live battle atm so i opted to sit this one out

i only tend to write during downtime from live battle ish these days

its boring, i know, but thats the real deal

Cimmerian
01-05-2016, 07:09 PM
sixteens will only take him so far

Brevity is the soul of wit, Sir!

Argh
01-05-2016, 10:02 PM

Heh...Btw, I'm sad you're not competing. Vulgar too.

Nice mag, adonis, and thanks for the challenging topic/pic.

slech
01-06-2016, 01:44 AM
this is my first time battling so idk what you talking about with the no shows lml

but good mag homie

Split Eight
01-06-2016, 05:54 AM
nice

Adonis
01-06-2016, 09:21 AM
this is my first time battling so idk what you talking about with the no shows lml

but good mag homie

Oh shit, my bad, I searched you and like 4 other people I didn't know the day before I wrote that and confused you with another. I apologize. Much respect for handling it in a human fashion though.

Slecht the truth

Godcomplex post something so we can see you're new accomp

sral
01-06-2016, 04:00 PM
Schlect always reminds me of Eth for some reason lol

puravida
01-06-2016, 05:53 PM
EtH
they calling you dutch mogli!

Frank
01-06-2016, 07:10 PM
Dope sauce

UnbornBuddha
01-07-2016, 02:35 AM
Adonis

Life's a trip...

Also, the matches I'm most looking forward to reading is the Brokenhal0 vs Pinot, Diode vs Zen. They are the most interesting pair ups.

sral
01-07-2016, 02:41 AM
Diode vs Zen is a master pairing IMO!

Diode
01-07-2016, 11:17 AM
Funny how I always get these pair-ups when Adonis is running the tournament.. ;)

TYSON
01-07-2016, 11:39 AM
Adonis is now on my shit list. Dope mag tho

Adonis
01-07-2016, 01:36 PM
Funny how I always get these pair-ups when Adonis is running the tournament.. ;)

Well, to be fair, I admittedly am down on you lower than most people but mostly because you just don't compete. Over my many years of reading verses I've actually only seen you compete in one league and one tournament. I had you lower and Lars adjusted, but you are about where you should be give or take 2 spots.

TYSON

You know I appreciate the skill when you show bro, the problem is the amount of no shows you have my man. I start losing respect for people when that happens. I believe this past season maybe season 4 of aowl you started 2-1 and showed promise of improvement reaching a higher level of skill then previously shown. But again, you followed that up with two no shows and MIA

Diode
01-07-2016, 01:37 PM
I'm referring to people ranked lower than me consistently getting easier draws.

Adonis
01-07-2016, 07:14 PM
I'm referring to people ranked lower than me consistently getting easier draws.

What is this consistently thing? I don't think I ever hosted a single thing with you in it? I still love you though old friend. How's the nautical life?

El Muffin
01-07-2016, 11:25 PM
wait.

that hottie reborn is back? say it aint so

surprised to see that name

Certain
01-07-2016, 11:52 PM
wait.

Keep your disgusting raging hormones off the topical side.

Vulgar
01-08-2016, 12:27 AM
lol

Argh
01-08-2016, 01:02 AM
wait.

No, it's not me. I was just kidding.

Mr. J
01-08-2016, 01:46 AM
I guess I can start writing...

El Muffin
01-08-2016, 04:20 PM
Keep your disgusting raging hormones off the topical side.

I was just saying she's pretty

Wtf

I don't operate like that

I thought she was gorgeous when I was like what 17

U gotta simmer down certain.

Ghost1
01-08-2016, 07:43 PM
Lol muff already got lama wig on w the cam set up. For shame.

Adonis
01-08-2016, 09:39 PM
Nah, who was the one that sent the fake maximin the jerk off reel Diode

This discussion about to bring up some mad dirt

Diode
01-08-2016, 10:52 PM

lama jerked off to napalm pretending to be BE

maxi came to my house in nj in like 2007 when she was visiting the US

PiE
01-10-2016, 09:29 AM
I guess I have to try again next year

PiE
01-10-2016, 09:36 AM
Nice mag Adonis.. I remember when I used to write these. Maybe I'll help you write the tournament mag since I'm not in it

2tripple0
01-10-2016, 11:27 AM
Dope

El Muffin
01-11-2016, 01:47 PM
Lol muff already got lama wig on w the cam set up. For shame.

Nah bro I got a bitch

Fuck u mean

B.e was fine tho ijs

Argh
01-12-2016, 12:28 AM
B.e was fine tho ijs

Still am.

Adonis What's the protocol for no-shows? Do no-show verses get rematched?

Ghost1
01-12-2016, 06:40 AM

It was lama u fat retard. Hence the joke.

Or oh yea u guys knew him as allah

UnbornBuddha
01-12-2016, 07:51 AM
Yo I'm posting, I did finish my verse two days ago, but forgot to post it yesterday :/

Certain
01-12-2016, 01:44 PM
What was David Lama's original name, before Allah?

Diode
01-12-2016, 01:51 PM

take1mc

Certain
01-12-2016, 03:08 PM
Bastardizing the worst Rakim quote.

Diode
01-12-2016, 03:13 PM
Bastardizing the worst Rakim quote.

there's nothing he couldn't bastardize

El Muffin
01-12-2016, 07:07 PM

Evangelist

Oh diode nailed it

That's even earlier

2tripple0
01-14-2016, 02:35 PM
Lol scratch up a session never knew be well heard she mixes up records and shhh never knew never knew and I'm happy even though it would be possible to nark on someone when we ain't meet still cool battling u this week

Witty
01-14-2016, 02:41 PM
Lol scratch up a session never knew be well heard she mixes up records and shhh never knew never knew and I'm happy even though it would be possible to nark on someone when we ain't meet still cool battling u this week

2tripple0
01-14-2016, 02:59 PM
Good battle yeah unfortunately I wrote mine really quickly I had an alternative verse but I forgot where those ramifications needed to be made

Ghost1
01-14-2016, 03:10 PM

Strong everything

Adonis
01-24-2016, 11:50 PM
http://i.imgur.com/euO5VAO.jpg