PDA

View Full Version : Quarter Finals: Chat and Prediction

Adonis
01-23-2016, 08:02 PM
All topics will be Martin Luther King Jr. Quotes

Pent uP vs. Cimmerian

Topic: "That old law about 'an eye for an eye' leaves everybody blind. The time is always right to do the right thing"

VividlyVague vs. Mr. J

Topic: "If a man has not discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live"

Pinot Grij vs. Pie

Topic: "Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see"

Diode vs. Razah

Topic: "Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase"

Before everyone starts asking for a mag already. Let us recall that in the closing of last round mag I said this one would take me longer because I've been out of town. Usually I'm already finished, I haven't started yet.

Certain
01-23-2016, 08:26 PM
Interesting matchups. Weird bracket. Let me know if you want predictions or something else for the magazine, Adonis.

Adonis
01-23-2016, 08:28 PM
Interesting matchups. Weird bracket. Let me know if you want predictions or something else for the magazine, Adonis.

That would be awesome

Whatever you'd like really. I'm working on it tonight so I'll be here. I feel like you catching the mag bug huh?

Certain
01-24-2016, 12:14 AM
I have enough time to do predictions tomorrow, Adonis.

Adonis
01-24-2016, 12:41 AM
I have enough time to do predictions tomorrow, Adonis.

PM it over whenever

ill nik-A
01-24-2016, 06:52 AM
Cimm vs pent will be dope

good stuff from u topical dudes, some of these pieces have been great

Razah
01-24-2016, 11:55 AM
where's Baron's bum ass

Adonis
01-24-2016, 12:32 PM
where's Baron's bum ass

He gotta live battle so he's been prepping for it. We committed to this tourney before he got the battle, I told him I'd make it work

Adonis
01-24-2016, 02:09 PM
TYSON

I see you lurking, you broke my heart again bro

One of these days I'm going to motivate you two weeks in a row

one can hope anyways

Certain
01-24-2016, 03:41 PM
Pinot Rule

No Videos allowed to assist a verse, you should be able to win on your own merit

This is a garbage rule that makes no sense unless you also plan to ban titles, unrhymed lead-ins, photos other than the topic and coded formatting. It also suggests that Pinot Grij did not win on his own merit when he absolutely did.

I'm doing predictions now.

Adonis
01-24-2016, 03:53 PM
This is a garbage rule that makes no sense unless you also plan to ban titles, unrhymed lead-ins, photos other than the topic and coded formatting. It also suggests that Pinot Grij did not win on his own merit when he absolutely did.

I'm doing predictions now.

Sounds good. Send it over

If someone posted a lead in they wrote it's their own words I would assume. You assume wrong in saying I'm suggesting he didn't win.

Someone should not be aloud to use someone else's work for there own benefit certain. I heard your opinion and you're entitled to it, but that's it.

Seriously though certain. Titles? Un rhymed lead ins?

These are not the same as someone taking a video they did not make and post it to help themselves.

Thank you for trying to start a revolt, you will not succeed

Certain
01-24-2016, 04:27 PM
He used a video of a football play. It was like 45 seconds long. It was not a fictional work or anything more than the equivalent of describing a historic event before writing about it. That's been going on in topical battling for longer than you or Pinot Grij have been doing it. It's the equivalent of quoting a famous speech or poem as an introduction.

I'm not starting a revolt. I'm helping you write a magazine. But that rule is garbage.

Witty
01-24-2016, 04:47 PM
I also don't see a problem with it, sometimes it can be pretty cool, like Certain said it isn't really any different than quoting someone else in a piece, which is done regularly, it's not like it's an unfair advantage if anyone can do it, should they so choose.

If voters personally don't like it, that's a risk the writer takes, I see no reason to ban it.

Certain
01-24-2016, 04:49 PM
If voters personally don't like it, that's a risk the writer takes, I see no reason to ban it.

And multiple people said they didn't watch Pinot Grij's video, then voted for him anyway.

TYSON
01-24-2016, 09:46 PM
TYSON

I see you lurking, you broke my heart again bro

One of these days I'm going to motivate you two weeks in a row

one can hope anyways

Yea I be lurking tho lol. Trying to get some type of drive to write bro. Shit just don't feel the same.

Adonis
01-24-2016, 11:53 PM
First of all, very sorry about the size, I'm not the most computer savvy at all. But Certain and a few others have brought up how weird the draws and bracket has been, thought I would post this.

Adonis
01-24-2016, 11:53 PM
http://i.imgur.com/QrrnNPB.jpg

Certain
01-25-2016, 12:23 AM
Adonis, here it is:

Doesn't really explain how Pent uP got the No. 17 seed, but it does clear up other confusions.

Adonis
01-25-2016, 12:43 AM
Adonis, here it is:

Doesn't really explain how Pent uP got the No. 17 seed, but it does clear up other confusions.

He was an alternate

him and Pie actually

I just filled that out now, but I kept track of the seeds through out.

Pinot Grij
01-25-2016, 03:16 AM
Certain Adonis Witty

Friends. I wasn't trying to rock the boat, although that is my mandate. I try to bend expectations with my verses as you all know. My idea this past week was based on a very specific sporting event that sports enthusiasts like myself would remember, but I didn't want to sell short the general reading public. I didn't include the video link as a performance advantage, but as a supplement to my verse for people that didn't see the original play, as it was the springboard for my narrative.

My emphasis is and always will be in storytelling. My concept was to tell the story of a person on the wrong end of the stick and for sports fans, an iconic victim in the sports world. I greatly resent the people who assumed I was trying to gain a competitive advantage when really I was just trying to set the tone for a story that was really endearing to me.

Pinot Grij
01-25-2016, 03:22 AM
So Adonis - that video is my inspirational springboard. To share it with readers is not a crutch, but a reference point. To say it detracts from the merits of my writing is a bit of a disappointment.

Adonis
01-25-2016, 03:36 AM
So Adonis - that video is my inspirational springboard. To share it with readers is not a crutch, but a reference point. To say it detracts from the merits of my writing is a bit of a disappointment.

Not big deal man. Don't make it something it's not. I have no real issue with the way you used the video because it really only set a stage. But I feel this tool could easily be taken advantage of. You wrote a great verse, you may have taken my statements as saying cheated for a competitive advantage but I did not. I wasn't talking about you specifically.

I'm over it either way. I see no wrong it what you did at all, but I'd rather not open that pandoras box further, thus the rule

Certain
01-25-2016, 10:10 AM
I have no real issue with the way you used the video

Then why did you create a rule banning it and call it "The Pinot Rule" and suggest that using the video gave him an unfair edge?

Certain
01-25-2016, 10:14 AM
He was an alternate

him and Pie actually

I just filled that out now, but I kept track of the seeds through out.

OK, then it makes sense.

NYCSPITZ
01-25-2016, 10:23 AM
so pent vs pinot. Dope finals, I give Pent the edge imo

Razah
02-04-2016, 08:10 PM
When are battles being closed?

I'm hoping i get on a pc today if not tomorrow

*shrugs. Life, ya'll.

Adonis
02-04-2016, 09:20 PM
Haven't counted or checked who voted so I'm mentioning everyone.

Pent uP Pinot Grij PiE Diode Razah Cimmerian Vividlyvague Mr. J

Voting will be closed tomorrow around noon west coast as long as there isn't a tie. Which I'll promptly break

Pinot Grij
02-04-2016, 09:25 PM
Adonis any chance of wrangling impartial voters??

Adonis
02-04-2016, 09:35 PM
dead man Godcomplex Witty Soulstice MMLP Argh 2tripple0 Pharaohs Army grafx Frank slecht Innovator Vulgar brokenhal0 TYSON NYCSPITZ Certain Just Write asylum YDK King Ra. PainBot JESODIST Exis

Any chance I can ask you to vote on anything? Myself or Pinot Grij will return the favor if you leave a link to anything. Thank you's in advance

Diode
02-04-2016, 09:44 PM
Will vote tonight or early AM tomorrow.

Certain
02-04-2016, 09:44 PM
I'm not sure if I'll have time to vote on a lot but I'll vote on one or three.

Adonis
02-05-2016, 02:22 PM
Mr. J still owes one vote

Pent uP Razah Diode PiE

zero votes cast, if you advance you will be docked votes accordingly

Diode
02-05-2016, 02:53 PM
voting now.

Diode
02-05-2016, 03:43 PM
voted in everything

Adonis
02-05-2016, 06:31 PM
Will close/open next round up after work tonight. Could be midnight,could be 4am.I'm ready with topics though

Mr. J
02-06-2016, 12:08 AM
dont tell me how to live my life

Certain
02-06-2016, 12:48 AM
Adonis, I'm in the process of voting on Pinot Grij vs. PiE. I probably can get another one, too.

Adonis
02-06-2016, 03:52 AM
Closing shit early am. Sorry for lagging man. This week I'll take the blame if you voted. If not fuck your life. Thanks certain. Much appreciation for voting

Pinot Grij
02-06-2016, 02:20 PM
You're doing God's work, Adonis.

Adonis
02-06-2016, 02:46 PM
You're doing God's work, Adonis.

I want to open next round but I don't feel like there is a decisive winner in other two. Will do what I can soon

Diode
02-06-2016, 03:16 PM
I want to open next round but I don't feel like there is a decisive winner in other two. Will do what I can soon

How is a match that isn't tied, has 5 votes, and has been open for several days not decisive

Come on, dude. On with it.

Adonis
02-06-2016, 03:22 PM
How is a match that isn't tied, has 5 votes, and has been open for several days not decisive

Come on, dude. On with it.

There's a battle with 3 votes 2-1....not decisive

Those competitors deserve better then that.

But seeing as how @Mr j hasn't voted I won't feel to bad in a second

Adonis
02-06-2016, 03:26 PM
And I see the reason for the comment. You'd like to prevent a comeback. The other battle is not decided and I think a win by two rule should be played here this far in a tourney

Godcomplex asylum dead man quaker oats PancakeBrah MMLP sraL Witty

Can any of you cats drop quick knowledge?

UnbornBuddha
02-06-2016, 03:28 PM
Voting.

Mr. J
02-06-2016, 03:30 PM
There's a battle with 3 votes 2-1....not decisive

Those competitors deserve better then that.

But seeing as how @Mr j hasn't voted I won't feel to bad in a second

You try to lars me out of a match I'll go godcomplex on you maybe you should check your sources and get your eyes checked

Diode
02-06-2016, 04:35 PM
And I see the reason for the comment. You'd like to prevent a comeback. The other battle is not decided and I think a win by two rule should be played here this far in a tourney

Godcomplex asylum dead man quaker oats PancakeBrah MMLP sraL Witty

Can any of you cats drop quick knowledge?

lol it has nothing to do with "preventing a comeback" - you can't close one and leave the others open when they aren't tied and have been open for days. i want to move on with this tournament, it feels like it's dragging on forever. i know you're busy - that's fine - but purposely extending it because you're not satisfied personally with the votes thus far is ridiculous, dude. there are thorough, well broken down votes in all the battles.. this ain't the nbl. if it's tied that's one thing, man.

as the rounds go deeper and people are eliminated, voting is going to dry up. that's just the nature of the beast. there's no reward (or punishment) awaiting those no longer competing. some nice folks vote anyway, but that's not the case for the majority.

oats
02-07-2016, 12:16 AM
Does this still need votes? Also, tag me and I'll vote in the next round.

sral
02-09-2016, 03:03 AM
You try to lars me out of a match I'll go godcomplex on you maybe you should check your sources and get your eyes checked

Lars you out?

Don't sneak diss around me, tell me what you have a problem with.

Mr. J
02-09-2016, 01:41 PM
Lars you out?

Don't sneak diss around me, tell me what you have a problem with.

Week 11