PDA

View Full Version : The Mag: Winter Is Coming

Adonis
02-12-2016, 12:54 PM
~The Mag: Winter Is Comnig~

~Intro~

Round third, we have arrived at the home stretch. Who will punch a ticket into the finals? Only time will tell, but if I were a betting man I'd take the odds on favorite Pinot, but I'm not, so I won't.

~Feature Artist: Son Lux~

Son Lux is a producer from Denver Colorado based out of New York. Dude can make a the fuck out of a beat and is also into theatrical scores of late. These aren't bangers as in Kanye, but this is the shit I listen to. Mellow music that just inspires from the background. He is a member of the group Sisyphus. Enjoys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRyMoyRPrr8&list=RDGL35e5mwD5I&index=2

~Quarter Final Battle Reviews~

Pent uP vs. Cimmerian

Cimmerian – A simple verse aimed solely at connecting the reader emotionally to a couple utilizing imagery as the catalyst. Short and to the point, zero in terms of character build up, which in most cases bodes bad because it's tough for me, as the reader, to draw interest with whom I'm reading about, but in this case I didn't mind because you jumped straight into the thick of it from the very first line. I assume the play on rose petals was just a metaphor, but this could be taken literally as well, which I would have preferred over two people and a relationship. But in the end, the meaning I picked up was that of actual people. I enjoyed the metaphor quite a bit, you have a way of tip toeing around what you are saying that gives the read more depth in my eyes. It makes me want to analyze and re-analyze the verse to figure out if I'm missing something, and by the fifth read, each week, I pick up on new shit each time, it never fails. Solid verse, great imagery and emotion. Very poetical which I appreciate more then the next guy, good shit brother man.

Pent uP – I liked the idea behind the concept, but this was the wrong week to pull this out. This verse is def deserving of a win against most others this tourney I'd say, but against Cimm's poetical read that is heart felt, I just think going gimmick was the wrong route. As for the read though, highly entertaining to say the least. First read I didn't pick up on the early references, but after the reveal the word choice, I.e lettuce/cheese, more green, and toys/boys, made more sense. As I had first thought them as the easy way out of rhyming, I later realized it was simply you having fun and trying to dance around the identity of Ron as best you could while leaving some what of a bread crumb trail. In any case, as I said, this verse was fun and kept my focus. The rhymes flowed well, but also seemed a bit simple in spots. The story was decent, just not serious enough for me considering what you went against. Good shit though man. Editing this in after I read the other verses, sad to see you go as you wrote a top four, if not top three verse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGRCzfWa1_g&index=20&list=RDGL35e5mwD5I

Mr. J vs. VividlyVague

Mr. J – You gave this read a dark and somber feel to it which I loved beyond explaining. The dark side is something I have not seen this tourney and you played well to it's strength here. A world of death, all around hunger and thirst. A man searches for food and a good life, but only finds Momma cannibal. I enjoyed the conversation aspect of the read and feel like you took a page out of your competitors book and did so very well. I feel like you did it on purpose, trying to prove your better at his style then he, and this week you were in my eyes. The imagery was spot on and the emotional factor was evident in the protagonist as he was begging to live. I enjoyed the read start to end and you kept me guessing long enough that I didn't hate the ending, though it was telegraphed just a tad, it didn't matter as the rest of the verse carried it home for you. Very entertaining read for me in all honesty, one of your better works I must say.

Vividlyvague – I enjoyed the story a lot actually, especially when I consider the twists and the fact that I had absolutely to clue what was happening until you made it known. Rhymes were cool, but some seemed highly suspect though you tried to mask this the simplicity by adding multies, it still read simplistic. Imagery was there, I don't think you utilized the obvious chance at some gruesome scenery nor did you use the opportunity of writing about the swirling emotions this character would have been going through. In the end, the story is clearly what carried this verse, and the story was good. But if I can be honest, I feel like everything else aside from that huge factor, was, just ok or slightly above average. Again though, I often vote on entertainment alone because that is really what I most look for, and this reading was entertaining start to end, and quite a bit.

Diode vs. Razah

Diode – In the first 6 bars or so you were either ridiculously nice with the poetics and verbiage or completely off the beaten path with flow and just natural writing, really no middle ground, but those dope lines really are fire. I.e pirouette and carolina blue examples of good. Fast fiercely example of the opposite of awesome. Second read, connecting Carolina blue to emotional feelings is too good bro, great wording in every damn sense. This was a verse about lost love, but you never truly gave the why's. You mostly focused on the love and just barely touching on the subject of loss while playing around the metaphor of a mountain and looking back or down. I enjoy the metaphor approach more than the next guy, so appreciate you utilizing that aspect well. Basically finding a different way to say something as plain as, I won't dwell on the past. In any case, I assume the lover died somehow, though you leave it up to the reader to ponder how, I liked that as well. Not everything needs to be explained, Soulstice is the best at that. He can write an open ended book with no real ending unless you use your imagination. So, with all this said, I will concede and say this verse was extremely good, though the negatives were glaring in my eyes. But the positives really did out shine the dull, if the makes any sense. I would have struggled with this vote in all honesty, could have gone either way, lucky for me I don't have to decide. Good shit Captain. BWWAWWAWAWA BRONCOS BITCH!!!! LOL Carolina Blue is fitting huh? I keed.

Razah – This is one the low one of my favorite verses on this site ever man. The simplicity of it is amazing, but the execution and emotional connection you painted the reader was as clear as day. I have two daughters and tried writing this verse too many times, but I just can't. So I guess my failures while attempting this same verse only made me enjoy the read all the more. I'm yet to have read Diodes verse, but I doubt I would have voted for him if I had the chance. The flow yet again was yadayaya, stop me if you heard the complements before. This verse was given the perfect amount of length while having the proper amount of incognito to it. I mean it's clear to me now what you wrote about, but on the first read I didn't catch all the references, so yeah, I'd say you played your cards right and kept the ending a relative surprise to me on first read. I have nothing negative to say about the verse other than the typo near the end, other wise an utterly flawless verse in my eyes. Somber and poetical, yet straight to the point with a razors edge. Lovely read brother, hope you find the time to make up for some votes. Normally I wouldn't break your verse down because I feel wronged given the time and effort I put into mags and providing a platform for you to write for, and you log zero votes. But I really did enjoy the read so I felt inclined to make sure you were aware. Until next time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL35e5mwD5I&index=1&list=RDGL35e5mwD5I

Pinot Grij vs. Pie

Pinot – I enjoyed the verse and the different characters you brought forth, but that ending was LOLz for me man. Had me chuckling. This is honestly probably your worst verse this tourney, and yet, it's fucking good man. Some of lines were meh as far as structure, seemed a bit simplistic, but those were necessary to build the story. Side note, good god does this mans life suck. I mean you pretty much explained the worst life possible. I thought you were wordy at the most opportune moments, thus enhancing the rhymes, I.e parishioner and winnowed. Words that aren't used often, but don't get just tossed in with out meaning. I would have given you the vote if I had voted for the record, though I do feel like with each passing week you have taken small steps backwards. You're still good enough on your worse day to beat a few heads, but we're at the final four now, hopefully you can round out them edges.

PiE – I loved the concept behind this verse, really did. Most of those shows I watch, actually all of them except for American Dad. I also thought it strange you added that as that was the only non 90's show you mentioned, I would have liked you to keep the theme and even go back and change that reference. In the end though, the writing as a whole sort of missed the mark at points. I don't want you to think this is not a good verse, because it is, though, not great. The story was cool, I think you might be a pure story teller, something that is missing in these leagues to date. You have a way of wording a story so it rhymes, but the rhymes at times come off as second to the path, like your not trying and just allowing the pen to do the work. Which is cool, but when I read it adding some flare in line with inners would really take you up a notch. The approach was cool involving all these shows, but the real story was the mothers insanity and I feel like you just barely touched on that while you should have built it up a hell of a lot more. In any case, this was a valiant effort and you were probably good enough to beat a one or two other verses this week. Hopefully you come back and play, AOWL starting soon it seems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv0M-5RUFQM&list=RDGL35e5mwD5I&index=21

~Dream Battle – Top Two Verses of Round~

Submitted by: Mr J
Winter Topical Tourney II: Quarter Final
2/2/2016

Fear was a most common thing. The people of the world now were shadows of yesterday
Their bodies withered away from hunger & the skies were distant from their better days.
Many used to visit this ventured place, but now none would dare ask for an extended stay.
The water became polluted causing livestock to die out and the vegetation was never great
Many rejected fate, while some welcomed it as a long lost family member with open arms
A village built on broken hearts; Families torn apart by a nuclear holocaust.

His journey began on the outskirts where the villagers dare not venture to.
Elder’s spoke of the dangers that lurked, & how death was inevitable.
But he knew deep in his heart someone had to find a place where food was edible.
Life was manageable. He cursed the past for the world that it had left in ruin
It’s not acceptable! As his thoughts raced, he lost footing slipping down hillside
Shaking off the debris he was covered in. he took in his surroundings & realized…
That the debris was the remains of crushed human skeletal structures.
He gasped as his spirit was crushed by the horror of the spell that he was under.
With a swift crack he fell to the ground where he remained unconscious.

How heartless…how cruel… the sound of a crackling fire pulls him out of his dreams
His hands were bound behind his back & he knew things were worst than they seemed
The stench of death caused him to retch as he struggled to try & set himself free…
“Use all the strength you can…” a voice called from beyond the shadows. “Please…”
“Please…you have to let me go.” He replied in anguish as he fought the uneasiness he felt.
“I’m afraid I cannot allow that” retorted the shrouded figure “You brought this upon yourself”
The figure circled the fire and knelt to the ground and proceeded to examine its specimen.
“You see I’ve seen many a adventurer search this land for hope to return with no evidence…
Life beyond what it is now is a fantasy, a dream dreamt by dreamers drowning in hope.”
The figure approached & stretched out an arm to feel the skin of the one bounded by rope
Taking a step back to reveal the face that has kept him in captivity his world fell to shambles
“I am the mother of those who cannot protect themselves” she said stepping back into the shadows
“Years after the war ended humanity was bound to become as corrupt as those who destroyed it…
I found myself broken by the loss of family, friends… all for the sake of their own flamboyance”
“You can’t hold the fault of others actions against anyone all your life” exclaiming his annoyance.
“I hold nothing against the past, what’s done is done. I am merely helping those who can’t fight…fight
The worst thing a person can do in life is giving up & I can’t sit here and say that ‘I tried’”….
“Then let me help” he reasoned. “Oh…you are helping & I couldn’t be as grateful as I am now” she declared
“I have found what I am willing to die for…& the children would love that you weren’t ill prepared.”
She made her way behind her prisoner & with a swift thrust watched as the blood ran dry…
“You were unfit for the life ahead of you but think of the lives you saved…..that’s…….nice”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wnIs71n_kE&list=RDGL35e5mwD5I&index=3

VS.

Submitted by: Cimmerian
Winter Topical Tourney II: Quarter Finals
1/30/2016

You, in view, drenched in a rose colored bloom
At sunset our steps silhouette the avenue
Moons ago we met, two molecules passing through
Complex in design, my approach: rather casual
A relationship set sail, smitten by our ways
Crashing into bedsheets, cresting with the waves
A storybook beginning leapt up from a page
But in time, a fine wine can sour from its age
Sentiment to sediment, we’ve taken for granite—
The soft sweet nothings. Habits set in stone tablets
Chiseled away 'til there was nothing to keep
We meet down at the café, our usual seats
Reminiscing as lamplight litters the street
Coffee sips to the lips—the bitter and sweet
As hands unfold, Life’s a strange game, I know
When to grow, you have to let your petals go.

~Semi-Final Predictions~

Pinot Grij vs. Diode

hmmmmmmm. On paper, Pinot should be the heavy favorite of not only this battle but the entire thing. The problem with this battle though really is simple. Diode truly is a wild-card and at any moment can pull that joker out and simply fire on all cylinders. In order for Pinot to win he will just need to not step on his own dick, which, judging by his character, just isn't possible ;). Really though, it's been a long time since I seen Pinot actually miss on a concept, though he has done so on more then a few occasions. If Pinot can keep the focus and drive he has had this entire tourney then he should be able to squeak out a relatively close battle. Diode has been less gimmicky this tounrey and dropped more emotional and real verses as opposed to a verse about R Kelly pissing on people. This is actually good though. Pinot is known to dropping more fun then emotional and is probably the best at it ever in all honesty. So attacking him with that style is ill advised. It's pretty tough for me to speculate on what Diode would need to do in order to win because there really is no style that outmatches Pinot, he's simply his own worst enemy. But Diode will need to be flawless and minimze filler while executing his concept clearly and prestinely. Should be a very fun read. I think it will be closer then most would assume.

Pinot 55%

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGtUDffAdy8&list=RDGL35e5mwD5I&index=4

Cimmerian vs. Mr. J

This will be a quick read to say the least I guess. I would have never predicted Jay to get this far in a million years. It seems like you actually wrote something more then twenty lines last week huh? On short notice too. For you to pull out this win, you will need a well crafted verse that is plays with emotion or paints a clear connection with the main character. Writing your usual shortened verses on the fly, for lack of a better word, just won't fly this round. The reasoning behind that statement is simple, Cimmerian is a beast in short verse format, so you trying to match him is ill advised to say the least. Cimmerian again, will need to stick with what got him here, utitilizing a poetical style to manufacture a concept that will hit you if you read it enough and actually try and find the real meaning. This battle intrigues me because, while I think Cimmerian is the better writer overall, I know Mr. J can actually sit down and write a verse, which is only once in a century, but when it happens, gone. Dude can write his ass off, so though I may list him as underdog, and often, we all know he's capable of simply crushing anyone when he's at his best. The problem is, his best is covered in numerous weeks of filler, solid writing that just isn't GOAT status. I look for Mr. J to have some sort of fire under his ass and try this round. Here's your kiss of death.

Mr. J 51%

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgqZNh9w5bw&index=5&list=RDGL35e5mwD5I

~Outro~

Sorry for the wait, I been mad busy, this is not like me, to keep you bitches waiting for something I do for free, but such is life. Not sure what we're doing for the final as of yet, you def get at least 6 days of writing, but as far as the topic, no clue at the moment. I have to find some free time to search some shit for you all, and free time is something I don't have. Only able to post this now because my body is worn down and I told my shop I needed some rest and took a half day. Nearing the end though, good luck you four.

Cimmerian
02-12-2016, 03:38 PM
Thank you for the review. The intended meaning of the last line was to say through metaphor, that in life, sometimes you have to let go of beautiful things and just move on. Just like a plant whose flower, including its petals, dies but the plant's life continues. The plant metaphor was also intended to circle back to the first line where the boyfriend sees his girlfriend down the street, looking rather radiant in the late afternoon sun---flower-like.

The afternoon/evening setting was representative of the end of the relationship. The decision to end of the relationship was "doing the right thing."

Mr. J
02-14-2016, 02:15 AM
Dope mag by the way bruh.

Razah
02-14-2016, 11:08 AM
dope, like always. the best parts are where you say how dope i am