PDA

View Full Version : AOWL Season 6 Magazine: Week 5 Edition

asylum
04-01-2016, 05:10 AM
http://i.imgur.com/uAJesXX.png

Season 6 Magazine Week 5 Edition

Introduction

We’re off to a fresh start this week and everyone’s sure to be dropping some heat after last weeks fiasco! There’s only one way from here, and that’s up to bigger and better things. We’re spicing it up this week and bringing back the always on point “Featured Artist,” giving you some fresh material to listen to while you rip up this mag. Some of our top authors have contributed an immense amount of material for your viewing pleasure here in Week 5. Enjoy.

Pep Talk

Do your part. Redefine the art form. If you continue to break down the door and push the envelope, we can promise you something greater then your wildest imagination will take place, in this very forum. A strange thing will happen. You'll begin to notice yourself and others around you: elevating. Elevating past previous plateaus you and they couldn't possibly have fathomed before. Ultimately become your Potential. Reinvent your fucking self in the face of complacency man. Hone your fucking craft. This is your mother ship. Yours to steer solely through the galaxies of the World Wide Web.
Who's World is this?
This is your world now!

Featured Artist from Adonis

Kixxie Siete

http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t582/patrown/kixxiesiete_zpsgwkktifj.jpg (http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/patrown/media/kixxiesiete_zpsgwkktifj.jpg.html)

Kixxie Is by way of ‘The Beach Boys’ in Hawthorn, California. Kixxie does not write the most consistent or concise rhymes but he has spurts of poetical strings, compacted with perfect rhyme and rhythm. He’s def not the most complex artist out, but he’s conscious in the songs he's not writing about being hard, which he woefully does it often actually. Whoever is selecting his beats is doing something right though, see “4/20 BOGO Flow” or “A Song About Jane”. Speaking of which, “A Song About Jane” is a prime example of his topical prowess. I admit, this concept is played but offers clear proof, that even writing something unoriginal, if done right, creates a dope song. It’s just too bad his partner had to ruin this track with two whack ass verses. Kix is a dope artist that has mastered a good vibe in the background at any chill out, but then again, anyone who titles a song “Rhythm Assisted Poetry” will forever be peoples in my book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DVgLpXY3-0

No Show Shine from Asylum

Artifice & Asylum

I enjoyed working with Artifice. He was very responsive, great to work with, and I would consider doing open mic collabs with him in the future if he’s down. He’s a cool cat and he’s new in the game but he has a firm grasp on what we’re doing here. Scene creation and timeline advancement are new things to him and he’s stuck in the moment, but I like his moments. They’re great for where he’s at in the game.

Open the door n walk forward... last thing I remember,
is seeing sadness scripted in the floorboards, burning ashes and embers.
I woke up to smoke choking me to death in my sleep,
it covered the world and creeped across the floor, I’m at peace.

If Arts not a vet playing it down he’s definitely got a knack for imagery and I really think he’s got potential. Nice work Artifice. Keep writing and signed in. An entire season will do wonders for your pen game. TRUST.

Mr. J and Alice White

J went at it alone here, but just getting into the verse you could already tell it’s going to be earth-shattering. This was definitely the story of an addict of some kind. At the point you brought up the heel of his shoe and a concealed pill I thought this was an assassin type shit, cyanide pill? Idk this one through me threw a loop I’m not sure how I feel about it. I’m willing to bet this a verse about a cop with a drug addiction. My favorite lines from your piece..

slowly he began to lose control of his body until he couldn't move
Trying not to panic he kept asking himself What should I do?
He began to hyperventilate, fading in & out of consciousness
planting his back against a stone wall he sat up & vomited...
His sides started to feel as if he was crushed beneath fallen debris.
each passing thought was plagued by nausea & defeat.

.. considering your topic? “The Body cannot cope with its environment,” these lines hit it so hard you deserve recognition for it. Thanks J, keep doing you.

Frank & MMLP

This is such an odd blend of styles and it’s very cohesive and fluid. I truly enjoyed this piece. Well the subject matter made me a bit uncomfortable. All in all, this piece was unsettling, but it definitely had an effect on me and I appreciate that. On the first read through I truly did not think this was as twisted up as it is. Like this..

But her severed thighs left me mesmerized, rectifying my floppy
I set her dress aside, eyeing her body with sexual intentions
I called over my posse
They answered their cell phones early in the morning like aspiring zombies

This drop was definitely about some fucked up shit. This much I can assure you. The ending put me through a loop and this was some strong horrorcore writing. This piece felt like a well orchestrated movie scene and as a cohesive team you performed exceptionally. Thanks guys. Great collab, nice work.

2tripple0

2k went with the story lead where he found some gold in his garden. He stuck to the garden theme throughout the piece and had some rough patches. Honestly, I think 2k needs to brainstorm and formulate his stories content, progression, and conclusion thoroughly before he begins the writing process. But there is some diamonds in the rough here people,
And inside those structures was a rock made of gold
I quickly raced to the climax in a world frozen by the cold

2tripple0 I see you improving buddy. Create a writing process and develop your voice. If your entire piece had been written with this degree of plot progression and correct assonance, you very well may have beaten any of your peers on a good day. Pleasure to have you signed in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg9ku-BGdkk

Battle Reviews from Asylum

VividlySymetrik vs Razah & Just Write

VividlySymetrik wrote their pieces, entitled “Pro Bono,” that was a great example of what I hoped for this week. A piece about a relatively harmless dominatrix began as a gripping horror story that kept you on the edge of your seat. As a team, they blended seamlessly. These lines moved the plot along effortlessly..

In fact, that little voice in the back of the dick's head said -"Maaan... let's see where she takes this,"-
Scared? Yeah, AND fully aware that the complex was vacant.
No chance of shouting for help or wasting his breath, so he saved it.
She took up a gag ball, laughed small and attached it. "Let's start with something basic."

This verse left me wanting more, great story telling with a true to life feel. Not to mention, they rhymed well throughout. There truly weren’t any rough spots. I really have to hand it to these guys, they dropped a solid verse. But there was only one problem.. Razah and Just Write completely destroyed it with an intense story about a woman who brought us along on the mental thought processes went through before choosing to have an abortion. Their journey through her thought process was topical gold, absolutely immaculate material that few verses I’ve read could hold a flame to.

"Can you please give me a pen and I need some paper"
She wanted to write to her kid, so they could read it later
She couldn't find the words for what seemed like ages
Then tears dripped down her face & seeped through the pages
She wrote "My dearest angel, know that I love you
There will always be someone watching down from above you

Razah’s emotional flare and Just Write’s story telling shone through in one of my favorites reads of all time. These collaborations are exactly why strange battle requirements sometimes pay off. Yeah it was some work. Few liked the idea. Well, here we have a great example of why sometimes it’s a good idea to get out of the box. I would like to sincerely thank all four of you writers for your solid drops. One of my favorite reads in topical history. This was much harder for me then the votes show, with Razah and Just Write taking it 5-1.

Adonis and Zeedee vs. Buddha and Jesodist

Adonis chose to write about the silver lining of death. His character Mark led a victim to an unfortunate demise. Efficiency and his hallmark style came together in a well crafted murder scene. The piece was direct and to the point, easily executed with smooth flow you can get in to. Halfway through, the tone changed drastically and his second stanza dove in flawlessly..

Darkness devours
Every speckle of light retreats in a cower
I enter the scene; slithering silent
A black cloak masking chivalrous violence
“Mark, do you know who I am?
Why, I’m that traveling wind
Passing chills down a spine overpowering limbs
Leaving hair raised, changing color to a powdery print

Telling this kind of tale with that low of a syllable count is a feat in itself. Besides, his honest approach warrants merit. This battle was close for a reason. Buddhist also went with a straight topical approach and wrote about his body. He stuck to the body concept throughout the entire piece and dropped some great material. Classic Buddha, his words are so genuinely human I can’t help but admire his deep connection to the universe he explains to us all with his soul in his words, like this set..

Create the future, with movements based on fate or illusion.
Contemplating the blueprint, yet unlocking my DNA seems fruitless.
Insatiate by the rubric, I’m debating my ruin, deciding whether to begin embracing the crooked.
Meditating on the nature of hubris. Virtue isn’t a sacred absolution.
Look at me. An animal that never became tamed from evolution.

You couldn’t hit that topic any better. Absolutely flawless material here, Buddha and Jesodist pumped out a verse that may have gone over some heads. Give the whole thing a read through, I’m glad I did. Jesodist may have had his hand more in the opening lines or somewhere near there. Enjoyable read from both competitors. They both deserved the victory here and there probably wasn’t a tiebreaker for a reason. This one ended 3-3 in a rare tie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ6fLExKxcg

Predictions from Adonis

Just Write vs. Mr. J BOTW

It’s rare a rare moment when either of these guys could be considered the “underdog” in terms of flow, but they are very similar in that department. Jdub has been out of the game for a long time, but I think he's finally ironing out the kinks and rounding that bend. Jay on the other hand hasn’t been smoking much weed for what it’s worth. Meanwhile I just bought something like $160 in edibles and feel like being nice to these two. The field at the moment is not the strongest, which puts these two in title consideration. In a stacked field they are equally upper tier but just below the favorites. One thing is for sure, they will both show for sure. I look for similar lengths and a similar take on the concept. Mr. J 63%

Frank vs. Razah Runner Up BOTW

In theory, this bout should be close. Razah is second best writer in terms of pound for pound behind Cimmerian. What I mean by that is, his writing length. If he were able to stretch out a longer verse with the same approach and mechanics he would get more wins. Frank is the exact opposite on the hand. I don’t think he would be particularly good in short verse format, instead he opts for quantity over quality. Though he can develop characters well, his simple structures and formats hold him back from being elite. It’s no question that he can beat anyone, and this week he should if he adds plenty of emotion into his verse, which ironically is what Raz has been mastering of late. Either way, I think Razah will be able to win with a slightly better take on concept. Razah 70%

Pinot Grij vs. Innovator

This is the battle I most look forward to. Pinot has been bolstering his resume, inching his way toward AOWL HOF, *coming soon*. Conceptually, far above the game, in the same vein as RIP Zygote. Inno, at his best, can upset the greats. But given his recent record, he’s liable to no show, how I hope you don’t. Pinot deserves better then that. I don’t think Inno will have what it takes to out duel Pinot this week because he simply has not been writing much. I look for Pinot to drop his usual max length, while Inno drops a bit short, but quickly creases the wrinkles for next week. Pinot 81%

Symetrik vs. 2tipple0

2K has had his best season to date, but is still not quite there yet. I’m not sure who Sym is in all honesty, and don’t know which part of the verse he wrote last week. I know that he voted against me last week and didn’t understand the overall concept. So I will assume he doesn’t allow the proper aerating time while fully fleshing out a concept. A bit of a shot in the dark here, but I think Sym will squeak by in a back and forth battle. Symetik 66%

Jesodist vs. VividlyVague

Jesodist has been losing a lot lately. I’m not sure what this stems from, but there must be a reason. I’m not sure what he needs to do in order to flip this around. Vivid on the other hand knows exactly who he is and what he does well. I knew exactly which bars he wrote last week, and thought he murdered that shit. I doubt he can cure his woes by this week, though I do believe he can. This will be a lengthy read, and might miss out on a few views because of that fact. This, in theory, could make this a toss up, though I don’t think Diz can win that one vote swing in a crunch. Vivid 59%

Asylum vs. Adonis
The battle of the two that teeter the fence of poetry fag and something more evolved. I feel like I been writing some of my best stuff lately, but have been dropping votes like crazy. Asylum 80%

Echo vs. Timeless

No clue who Echo is. Time is consistent with his style, but keeps it short. Could be a toss up. Bit of guess work here involved, Timeless 65%

Artifice vs. Breathless

No clue who Artifice is, but judging purely off his evaluation of my verse last week, I think he can craft a verse. Breathless is a member I haven’t read in a long while, not sure how many weeks he’s competed here. He’s talented though, not elite, but far from the opposite end of the spectrum. Artifice seems like he can construct a thought, no clue if that will translate or not, but that ability is huge in my book. 50/50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc7YSDRxo2w

Flashback Feature

We all know well developed story lines get the most votes, and it's for a reason.
That's topical writing at it's greatest from the right authors, and here we have Certain and Oats going head to head in Round 2 of Season 3's playoffs.

http://www.netcees.org/showthread.php?t=81069

It's raining at Church of the Redeemer's cemetery.

"To Jessica, my beautiful baby daughter ..."

She's twisting her ankle nervously, heel digging deep in the mud. The lack of sleep has her bugged. Trying to be at peace. Wistful but acting earnestly, she listens to the sermon. Steps in closer to her boyfriend, Todd. But Todd's emotions are avoided, lost in those sexy eyes, deep-set, like depths of oceans. Her mascara's dripping. She's crying, sure. But mostly she forgot a hat. The timing's poor. She has a job interview tomorrow. Going to get a line of work that maybe he would've been proud of. Youngest child, sure. But she thinks of his smile. Thinks of his storytelling style and if he were the one delivering this eulogy that finds her bored.

"To Timothy, my dutiful only son ..."

He's straightening his tie again, messing with the alignment pin. Trying to keeps his eyes off the sight of him. Spitting image now within spitting distance of his future. Sure enough, men in this family always died in bed. Dignified, they said. More like, sad and lonely and alone all to keep a sense of pride, he guessed. He's seeing his own demise ahead. Gripping a that tie. Dad had given him it for graduation. High school. He'd taken pride in him. Taught him the Windsor knot. All of the fancier ones were quickly forgot. Tim figured one was enough, never had his dad's distinct panache. But he did take his instincts for people, enough to know most of those here were thin in their grief.

"To Sandra, my first-born and brightest ..."

She's counting the heads. Doesn't really remember anyone's name but wants out of this mess. She's remembering how she had fled, moved to California not because of her dad but because of the mounting of stress. Everyone here. She remembered the faces more than the names. Chorus of lames, boringly rambling through a service ordained as necessary by a religion she never had given into believing. Don't get her wrong, though, as she watched mud fling over the casket, she remembered the time dad had built up her tree house right over the hammock. And she'd slipped off and got her wrist caught in the rope. And the cast went on right before softball season. So that whole winter, once she was healthy, Dad took off on weekends and soft-tossed her balls so she could make the middle school team rather than giving up. But she ended up getting cut by her sophomore year.

"And to Dolores, my wonderful wife of 28 years ..."

She's here alone. Everyone's here, yes. But she's here alone. Supposedly grieving. She sees three people she half-recognizes and a bunch of acquaintances. And the casket's been lowered so there's nothing to say to him. She's here alone. She's supposed to be crying. Broken for four days, clutching a rosary tight. She pulls closer to Jessica, Timothy, Sandra and listens as the pastor delivers with somber tones each ribbon and honor. And that's when she knows she'll go on living without him.

Portrait of a Warrior (Ode to BJ Penn)

at 35, the walk-in felt the same as a decade ago
lights dimmed, the crowd hushed, faces blurred to faded glow
his pace was slow. as he looked ahead the cage unfolded
music started, nerves departed, the sheer excitement raced him forward

50 yards and an Octagon was all that’s left of his career
a 25 minute Swan Song before he disappeared
that twitch of fear that it was near - a bland and boring brand torment
on the eve of his retirement, highlights of his past swam before him...

his first chance of glory - Jens Pulver for the lightweight champion’s belt
dominated rounds 1 and 2, felt him tap from the armbar after the bell
but alas he was felled in a controversial decision
that in hindsight would only serve to spurn his ambition

his second crack at the title, redemption beckoned
Caol Uno - a man he once knocked out in 11 seconds
the rematch went the distance, most gave him a 1-2 round advantage
called a Draw - then the lightweight division was suspiciously disbanded

crowned the unofficial champ of the lightweight division
to beat the best in the world became his life, his mission
the once-beaten Takanori Gomi was all everybody spoke about -
he bloodied him for 2 and a half rounds before he choked him out

a return to the UFC was becoming past due
so he stepped up to the wrecking ball known as Matt Hughes
Hughes was on a 13-fight win streak, hadn’t lost in 3 years
not only a weight class above, Matt was part of that elite tier
a reach for The Prodigy, people expected he’d get worked down
instead he dropped him with a straight and submitted him in the first round
he fought from lightweight to heavyweight, a legendary mystique made fast
1 of only two men to win titles in more than one weight class

his past was all behind him now, the heat of the lights
beamed down on the man across him who defeated him twice
this was his comeback and his send-off, a shot at redemption
the opportunity to add a final notch to his legend

opening bell, he pushes forward, pawing his jab tough
Frankie circled out of range, his reach caused him to back up
but it was only a matter of time until he figured out his rhythm
and he began to pepper Penn with combos in laser precision

it only went downhill from there for the beloved Pacific pugilist
body-body-head-TRIP, crashed to the mat in ruthlessness
doom eclipsed, Penn was in slow-motion compared to his foe
Frankie postured up in his guard, preparing to throw

it was a torrential downpour, storms of elbows and fists
Penn could only writhe beneath the rain that belted him quick
yet he dwelled in the thick of it, weathered the mauling
until the next thing he knew the ref was yelling to stop it
time melted and paused, Frankie gave him a wild embrace
BJ wore a gash on his eye, a swollen nose…and a smile on his face
his style had aged, no longer was he the Prodigy from years gone by
he was slower, weaker, tired - but still possessing fearless pride

washed away by the storm of younger talent - an unforgiving dance
“I shouldn’t have been in the ring tonight” he said…
but he was glad he took the chance

Certain took this one 4-3 in a hard fought clash of the titans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwJ8Rf-hqp0

Writer’s Block

Adonis
Just Write

Asylum asked if you and I could do a back and forth this week, and I'm jumping right in brother, head first, no homo. What up with you ripping that poor girl? I don't even know her name. I just vaguely remember you basically calling her a bitch on some level. I assume you're a good dude in real life, and this IS the net, but damn that shit made me laugh and angry at the same time. You leave for a couple years and came out guns blazing as far as discussion forum goes, what say you?

Well for starters this is netcees, and tbh until she posts a pic showing she's a female I'm gunna assume she's a dude, plus she no showed 3 weeks in a row and didn't vote so I lost it when I seen I was teamed with someone who hadn't showed 2 weeks prior, plus I'm bipolar and somewhat unstable. I wouldn't call a real female a bitch but on the internet? Fuck it... and I was bored.

So what's up with you looking like a burning man/rave/football tailgater and writing sappy poems and using words like amiss and chivalrous? And how long have you been writing? I always pictured you a skinny dude with glasses and a pocket protector but nah, here I find out you're a beer drinking badass who would knock a mother fucker out for stepping on his sandals! We would probably be friends irl, srs.

I've been writing since I was a sophomore in high-school, so that means 2002-2001 ish. I took massive breaks in there though but I've been writing about a a verse a week for since a year before season one, not sure of the date but I'll guess the past 4 years I been writing constant. No clue why I write like that man. When I started I was mad depressed, and just continued to write like that. I know I wrote raw raps for a solid couple years, but I was losing every battle, so I switched it up. And honestly, writing that long you have to use words such as I do in order to not get bored and redundant. We would Def be chill in real life, I think we have a similar sense of humor and drinkability.

What are your personal expectations in this league and who is the big threat? For me, if I don't make the final four I failed. In my netcees history tournament/playoff I'm a horrible 3-7 or something stupid. For some reason I can't write when it counts. do you have goals and aspirations in writing outside of netcees in terms of writing? And for the record, I fully agree and support every statement made toward the "girl" aka Frank I'm sure, or Mr. J

oh thats cool, i graduated in 2001 ( i had turned 16 a couple months before, i was an early graduate) and sheesh that's a long time, i use to write here and there growing up but i pretty much started writing when i joined this site in 2013, well i mean more seriously writing,as far as expectations, hell i just like to write and am humbled i am 4-0 right now, i would absolutely love to champ this league, even if its not the season champ spot, i dont think i have been in the playoffs before, i do know there a lot more competition the last time i wrote in this league in season 3, and as far as outside writing goes, not really i am pursuing a graphic design career at the moment, its funny that asylum mentioned me "trying to spin a aowl show reel to pixar" because in actually very close to nailing an internship there although my ultimate goal would be to work for disney, i am currently studying 3d modeling and animation, so im well on my way, i just use this writing thing as an outlet, plus i like keeping my brain sharp. a threat? pssshhh, i dont see threats in text, but as far as who i'd be nervous to face, it would probably either frank da gawd, or tbh you, at least out of those actively writing in the aowl. i have a different style than most in terms as i dont quite use to many metaphors or internal rhymes, i just try to get my story across in the easiest way possible for the reader, misinterpretation i believe is how most votes are lost. i think i will try a few things this season though as i plan on not signing out the entire season.. except perhaps near the end, im getting married around the second week in june. second times a charm? well, hopefully. what about you? who do you not want to face in the league? or at least want to avoid as long as possible? also what do you think of Mr. J rhyming all of his votes? some are better than his actual verses ahaha

I view the question differently, I don't fear a single writer, but there are writers I would like to face because I admire and respect them and feel they'll bring out the best in me. To name a few I'd say Buddha, I don't count last weeks. Pinot grij because he would force me to think of an off the wall topic. Asylum cause he's my boy and this week will be fun. Finally, Razah because I would want to match twenty lines and see who could out dual the other, same with j, but mainly cause I'd like to avenge my loss. You brought up a good point of writing more reader accessible instead of a tad complex. I've thought of this before,just not in a long while. I like writing concept pieces, and I want each one, easy to understand. For example, you mentioned a line you didn't like of mine, something like "imagination crossing reality" or some shit. I added that for the reader to understand the character I built was entrenched in his comic books, lost in imagination at one point, but is blurring that line. Not sure if that translates, but I thought it was very important to the piece. To be honest, I never noticed j rhyming his votes, though I don't really read votes except for the ones in my battle so that's that.

As far as writing, I simply sit down, mostly with beats in the background, and write. I like thinking of a concept first, but I honestly just pick a day and write whatever comes to me at the moment. How do you get in that rhythm, the butter zone if you will? Finally, loaded question, but if you could make a Megatron of sorts, using different writers styles to create the ultimate writing machine. Which parts would you pick from? Example: 2tripple0's rhyme patterns, diodes mechanics and love dozers swan song.

That's all for now man. I appreciate the time. Look forward to battling you this season and congrats on the hot start. Hopefully I can turn it around.

i would say dead man's schemes, vulgars brain, orc's rawness, and you gotta throw oats in there because, well he's oats, yea man it was nice chatting with you as well, see you on the dance floor bud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMjX7jJxjBA

Open Mic Feature

I'm not sure everyone appreciates the level of talent Pinot Grij brings to the field. He's truly one of the greatest writers yall might've slept on.. and we can't no show this cat one more time this season! Check his piece, "My Dog,"

When my friends ask, “What’s poppin’, Daniel?”
I’m like, “I’m chillin’ with my cocker spaniel.”

Ayo.

If you don’t like dogs, then I think that you’re super weird
My dog got soft fur, a short tail and droopy ears
I can’t take my dog to work, I think I need a new career
I’m in a room with 7 dogs right now and mine's the cutest here

Her breed is obesity prone, so I can’t give her food a lot
If there’s a dog on the TV she can get confused a lot
I guess it’s my fault cuz I like to watch the tube a lot
We watched “Air Bud: Golden Receiver” - it had a stupid plot

When I say “Speak”, my dog knows how to bark at that trick
A stranger knocks on the door? I know my dog’ll bark at that trick
If she rolls over, I’ll take her to the park for that trick
And she’s excited when she gets inside the car for that trip

I love my dog, she really knows how to walk on a leash
I hate my landlord, he stated “No Dogs” on the lease
But that just means I lied about my dog on the lease
Am I worried if he sees my dog? Not in the least
I’ll just say my friend was here, I’ve been gone for a week
And I forgot to tell him that it said “No Dogs” on the lease
When my landlord leaves, I’ll hook up my dog with a treat
Then throw on Dogg Pound and we both nod to the beat

When my dog needs a haircut, she’s the shaggiest pup
Then I take her to the groomer and she look fancy as fuck
If there’s a storm, my dog is scared if she hears the thunder
But if I need to lull her I’ll just fill her Kong with peanut butter

I said, I really love my dog, do I gotta spell it out?
My dog knows the word WALK - so I gotta spell it out
I said I gotta spell it out, that’s Double U A-L-K
My dog eats the fanciest treats because I stay well paid

My dog is never sad, she’s always wagging her tail
And that’s a real good indication that she’s happy as hell
You’d be happy as well if you ever seen her bottom waggle
That’s why everywhere I go I gotta bring my cocker spaniel

This verse was absolute gold, Pinot Grij. I see you!

Interview

Wudup J how you doing tonight bro? Ready to put in some of that mag work?

The night is young....I am preparing to shake off this weekend rust & focus on my battle at the time being. Not something I would have chosen to write about...but its always about the challenge.

How do you think you'll do against Just Write?

Just Write seems like an interesting opponent, he was a cool little style Im still trying to figure out his angle based on his work from previous weeks, I tend to study my opponent a bit before I drop against them, lately I have been underestimating people & took an unfortunate loss a few weeks back. Regardless I think it shall be a fun show based on the amount of wins he has been able to garner. I still cant believe I couldnt tell the difference between him & Razah last week...what a nut

Which battle's going to be the closest this weekend?

Artifice & Breathless for sure, I really enjoy both of those knuckleheads, after reading Artifices first verse I was surprised to be honest, a really interesting piece he had, Im sad that your opponents didnt follow through last week. you both had an interesting piece which I enjoyed.
Breathless had a cool piece the other week as well, Im not a big fan of opening & ending with the same idea as the start of the verse but he pulled it off & painted a delightful picture...to a picture? anyway...I think that match up will have some mixed reviews but will be a great battle regardless...

I feel if Vivid focuses & JESODIST takes Buddhas advice there may be a crazy battle in the works. I know Vivid has been busy champing shit in the NBL so hes been sidetracked for the past couple weeks so it depends on how things work out. JESODIST is a goof but has some decent lines in his arsenal. I feel he needs to take a step away from the Biblical Clinical Asymmetrical in the Pinnacle of Sentinel rhyming & he may fare better...but what do I know I just write.....:D

What's new up in the open mic? That cypher thread going off?

I have seen plenty of verses that havent seen the light of day here...and that makes me sad. I would feed them but I tend to go on feed rampages when there is nothing else to do. luckily the cypher is popping off again...well sort of. I had to stop for awhile because I felt drunk reading 2tripple0s verse & then JESODIST went off like a homeless philosophical major debating about the tragedies of life how humanities a lie & vanity in Christ is a canopy at night...but dont quote me on that I dont remember what anyone says...I dont even remember what my verse was about last week haha...

Who do you think Echo is?

Echo is not a who..but if he/she was I would name her/him Mary Lou Who the one who brought the heart back to a league of heartless monsters that present themselves as shadows of their former selves...but I want to believe Echo is either a dolphin using echolocation to find the nearest store that sells a rhino in a smoothed out rectangle...ecko...

Should I put NYCSPITZ against Frank or Pinot Grij? Why?

I would like to see him go against Frank to be frank...I feel that would be a battle of epic proportions because you know Frank is going to show. Frank is going to push the line limit to the limits & write a tale with some interesting dialogue, he would bend words to suit his flow which will go on for days. which is always worthwhile. NYCSPITZ always brings something interesting to the table to, I cant remember the last time I read a piece from him but I always enjoyed what he does with his vocab & flow. he reminds me of Pent & Vulgar & Genocide rolled up into a ball & released unto that long stretch. I remember seeing both of them tearing up the league when I first came around these parts & I was amazed...both can write their asses off...

Any final words?

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness

Final Word

Thank you all for your continued participation. Get ready to drop some serious thought and invest time into the greatest topical league on the internet. We’re going to be getting into some deep concepts in the following weeks, let’s get our momentum going! Bring your A game this week! The quality of your next piece and each one after that all depend on the amount of time you invest into this weeks. How much of yourself are you willing to give to expand your consciousness and further the cause of our artform? We’ll see..

2tripple0
04-01-2016, 05:34 AM
Dope enjoyed every bit of this good luck to symetrik

oats
04-01-2016, 05:59 AM
great work, though fuck you for choosing my worst verse of the season to throwback to lol.

asylum
04-01-2016, 06:34 AM
great work, though fuck you for choosing my worst verse of the season to throwback to lol.

Thank you! Well now I have some catching up to do, that is a phenominal verse. Big Penn fan here. Nice work whether you like it or not!

Echo
04-01-2016, 07:22 AM
sick mag asylum; just what the league needs in terms of motivation. you're doing a dope job, consistency is key.

Adonis, in regards to predictions, a quick search would have brought a couple of my verses up. i appreciate the effort nonetheless.

MMLP
04-01-2016, 09:02 AM
Nice mag, NYCSPITZ against Frank wud be a good set up

Artifice
04-01-2016, 09:53 AM
Dope mag. Thanks for the kind words guys. I used to be on netcees back in the .com days, 2010-2012. I used the name MaGiC. I helped run the Netcee's Writer's League back in 2011. I also used to visit freestyling.com and rapleagues.com back in the day, as well as 411hype and b-boys as Escamoteur. Topicals were my thing, but i haven't written at all in 3-4 years, so it's been nice to try gettin' back into it.

Does Cimmerian still come around at all? Remember him from years and years back, i think he might've been on FS back in the day. What about Pent uP?Black Disciple? I know there was a bunch of other people, but those two names immediately stick out...

Adonis
04-01-2016, 11:16 AM
All I know is you saying black disciple reminded me of black ice, anyone remember him from my b boy Era? Pent uP is still around, but he has actually stopped.writing and picks like one tourney or league a year. Cimmerian just competed in the "winter topical 2", he no showed the semi finals but up to that point was the top writer, slightly in front of the eventual champ, Pinot grij.

I posted at bboys many many years and don't remember escometur though.

2tripple0
04-01-2016, 11:17 AM
Oh word i remember u magic

2tripple0
04-01-2016, 11:19 AM
Snap i remember mosta them dudes also

Echo
04-01-2016, 11:22 AM
Dope mag. Thanks for the kind words guys. I used to be on netcees back in the .com days, 2010-2012. I used the name MaGiC. I helped run the Netcee's Writer's League back in 2011. I also used to visit freestyling.com and rapleagues.com back in the day, as well as 411hype and b-boys as Escamoteur. Topicals were my thing, but i haven't written at all in 3-4 years, so it's been nice to try gettin' back into it.

Does Cimmerian still come around at all? Remember him from years and years back, i think he might've been on FS back in the day. What about Pent uP?Black Disciple? I know there was a bunch of other people, but those two names immediately stick out...

i believe Black Disciple is now known as dead man. i could be mistaken, tho.

Mr. J
04-01-2016, 12:18 PM
For the record it was a miracle pill that made him young again a la Jekyll & Hyde

I switched up the ending a few times and forgot to say he was 80 turning 20 or something

2tripple0
04-01-2016, 01:09 PM
Lol time travel much?

UnbornBuddha
04-01-2016, 01:24 PM
Phenomenal work! One thing to note, Jesodist abandoned me so he didn't write any of the verse.

2tripple0
04-01-2016, 01:54 PM
Last week dudes pulled out my battle as well. Discuss...

2tripple0
04-01-2016, 01:55 PM
I also had no time to read other battles so great job for writing this weeks magazine

Just Write
04-01-2016, 05:25 PM
asylum fuckin dope mag bro, very well done.. mad props.
Mr. J I might go over the line limit if it's cool with you

Mr. J
04-01-2016, 05:45 PM
Koalas get you hype....interesting ...but you can use as many lines as you need

Just Write
04-01-2016, 05:47 PM
Koalas get you hype....interesting ...but you can use as many lines as you need

Too hype, and not sure I will, just precautionary measures my friend.

Mr. J
04-01-2016, 06:07 PM
No problem. I will make my attempt at writing tomorrow night. currently away from the lap top.

Just Write
04-01-2016, 07:19 PM
No problem. I will make my attempt at writing tomorrow night. currently away from the lap top.

I write everything on my phone, verses.. votes.. mine and adonis'Adonis's 1 on 1 lol. Idk, I usually just write my verses a couple lines at a time, go back to work while thinking of something else ect.. got mad adhd so I do a million things at once lol. I only got a few lines wrote myself but have no clue where im headed with this so yea...

Its fuckin koala's

Mr. J
04-01-2016, 07:33 PM
Best I can do on my phone is a few cypher verses...

I edit as I go on League or Tourney verses which works better on a laptop
usually multitask with a track on & dropping cypher verses to get rid of the silliness

Just Write
04-02-2016, 07:27 AM
Mr. J ready when you are... bang bang

Mr. J
04-02-2016, 11:41 AM
Feel free to post when you want I will post tonight or tomorrow depending upon my return

Razah
04-05-2016, 10:16 PM
Finally got around to reading this. Appreciate the mag' bruh.

Also, lmao @ the tag.

Is there a way to know who did that?

aha. Adonis

Adonis
04-06-2016, 12:09 AM
Finally got around to reading this. Appreciate the mag' bruh.

Also, lmao @ the tag.

Is there a way to know who did that?

aha. Adonis

wbabwawawawawawawawawaw, that shit killed me, but for real, facts aren't even funny though

And I'm 5'3 and you can't find out who tagged that as far as I know.

Still, who did this? Come get that Rep a few times

asylum
04-06-2016, 12:17 AM
I hadn't mentioned your height to a single one of our peers. I'm curious as well..
who else have you met?

Mr. J
04-06-2016, 12:29 AM
I recall this convo going down somewhere....but where...

Adonis
04-06-2016, 12:38 AM
I hadn't mentioned your height to a single one of our peers. I'm curious as well..
who else have you met?

It's well known bro. I'm not shy about it.

I only ever met old PR/BBOY heads that wouldn't be known here, maybe da pilgrim would be known, he was a topical head.

Met Beat Demon, Respect to that goon, don't fuck with that behemoth.

Met Weapon X/ Ben Grimm, best topical writer of all time maybe. no joke, ask pent up, he knows how good this guy was for a time.

There's more I'm sure, kind of blanking right now. Took an edible a few hours back so I'm my mind is on relax

Adonis
04-06-2016, 12:41 AM
Almost forgot Pat, through out the season I kept a word document with battles that would end up being super dope. I'd keep the link to them so I could post them in the Archives for later under season x highlights or whatever.Just a though, people liked the recognition last season during the final mag.

e11even
04-06-2016, 05:18 AM
That mag was magworthy. Since I signed out of NBL, hopefully I can bag a few wins this time around. Thanks to all who contributed on this paperless paperback.