PDA

View Full Version : AOWL Season 6 Magazine: Week 8 Edition

asylum
04-23-2016, 02:49 AM
http://i.imgur.com/uAJesXX.png

Season 6 Magazine VIII Edition
By Asylum

Introduction
Welcome to Week 8 in the Sixth Season of the greatest topical league on the internet. Can you guys believe our first champ match is already here? Just Write had a win streak so damn long, he got put back into the contenders match after his first loss. Everybody give that man a hand. We’re moving forward into this week full steam ahead, guns blazing, throttle wide open and white knuckles clenched on your audiences steering wheel, leading the world into the darkest recess of your mind and showing them the guiding light as they’ve never seen it before. It’s time to redefine greatness. Frank and Timeless will be battling it out in our first CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH of the season! I’m not even going to lie about it, I’m excited about this week. So let’s dive right into it!

48 LINE MAXIMUM IS IN EFFECT

Featured Artist

MOPHONO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apCVbhKd5l4

I picked Mophono this week because he’s doing new things with vinyl. As far as I’m concerned, that’s worth mentioning. I hadn’t heard his beats before this week, and I’m already a huge fan of his work. His beats hit me like a dark, twisted RJD2. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. I’ve also included an interview I pulled from the internet later on in the mag so you can read about what he’s doing with hiphop.

No Show Shine

Adonis

Back to living again

I’ve had enough loss through the years
And this memoir is sordid but clear
Memory shot, happily inebriated
Insulated. A close knit group
Acts alike, checkered past
The fact of life is hope you last
Don’t collapse; fold or pass
Hold the line, conceal the base
Don’t just chase the dragon,
Take a taste.
Be captivating, Picture perfect
Shake the photo, quickly, un-blur it
Admire the writings on the wall
“Fucking Cursive”
Wadding in the wind
Radiant, ever glades being poached and trimmed.
Smoke out… Don’t vent
Cope with opiates
Take a toke and hold it in
*choke*choke*
Exhale the evidence

ALL ABOARD!

Captain Vessel
Don’t sink the bow,
Stand up stern and drink your doubts
Float away in that raft of yours
Sip courage until you take BAC control
Steer clear of the powdered sand
Pristine beaches on lovely land
They lack the tracks, a simple scar that maps it out
Connect the dots and take the route
“X” marks the spot, now take a bow
Standing ovation, Applause in Awe
You spent over half your life in overdose
So I figured you’d fit right in-
In Comatose

~DONIS~

Adonis’ piece read like more traditional poetry to me. I did enjoy the angle. His topic, “Back to Living Again,” opened the doors of self-medication and he walked us through it. There were many subtle drug references throughout and he lightly brushed upon a few places I enjoyed. This artistic piece has merit, although I’ll admit some may view it as too brief. Personally, I enjoyed the short syllable counts and appreciate his ability to compact a topical into such a small space. However, there were some truly rough spots around the beginning of the second stanza. In all reality, this piece may have been more suited for a different theatre. I enjoyed it regardless.

Symetrik

I've never been sure how to handle my problems, I guess I'll be askin'em here…
what kind of man would be driving at all after seven, eight or nine beers?
who doesn't brake when he looks through the glass and can see that she's screaming in fear?
how many times did I yell in his ear while the medic was trying to clear?

fast forward a week, but the tears never came...
I've never been told I was guilty, but people kept staring, I'm drenched in the blame
and day after day, the scene keeps replaying,
I've emptied the cupboards of each of my bottles, I'd rather have spirits consuming my brain
don't even know when I gave up on sober and fell off the wagon, certainly haven't been praying at night.
I thought I was sure I would never go back, but pain overwhelming convinced me to hide
I'm safe and I'm sound, drink 'til I'm drunk and I'm sadly alive
maybe the habit just happened to hold me together. it's honestly fine to feel broken inside

today, I decided,'s a good day to die…
I'm nothing but happy with saying goodbye, it's finally time that my cycle's complete.
the pain'll release to the stars in the sky, scars glowing white as I fall to my knees
empty the vessel they once knew as me, I peacefully bleed 'til my spirit is free.
the few I call friends are the first to believe in the truth that I found was so easy to see.
the kingdom is clean, the pathway pristine. far up ahead I hear laughter.
perhaps it belonged to the woman I killed but perhaps in the end, it won't matter.
I hope she'll be waiting so patiently calm 'til I join her forever and after.
gasoline soaked through my clothes to the bone, it's a comfort to know they'll respect where my ashes are scattered.
Honestly Symetrik, I think I might speak on behalf of a few of us when I say I didn’t expect this quality of writing from you. I’m not sure if you just weren’t trying as hard or trolling us the entire time. Anyway, great work here. Your broken assonance rings true with it’s tone throughout, and your rhymes flowed effortlessly. I particularly enjoyed the bouncing around in syllable counts throughout the second stanza. Very punchy writing, easy to enjoy. Last week you dedicated yourself to complete a whole piece I am satisfied with. Great effort, it’s a shame you were no-showed. You’re finding your voice. Embrace it in the playoffs.

Asylum

She was the only one I ever loved, I cherished each and every curve,
The dimples framed her smile above her perfect chin,
her each and every word.
I hung upon like linen sheets out in the elements to dry.
Yet with each and every passing day, I started asking why.
I loved the way she danced after work, when I opened the door to my room,
Patiently there waiting with a list of reasons she adored me I loved to listen to.
I pushed her back and dove deep within never knowing my own problems,
You lose yourself as you weep and grow, relearn how to walk and fall in..
Huh, as your heart changes the world lays idle, staying the same while we aren’t.
If you stare at the world long enough, it often loses it’s charm.
and you only further your own agenda through the days as they pass.
I’m looking towards the future.. hoping each moment could everlast.
With a vast sunset open, it’s rays show the scope of our life’s compass,
shining deep within the decaying night to display the right amongst us.
I walk into the future open to the heights love sets, letting go of regret.
Each and every seconds sacred, moments we should never forget.

I wrote this really fast and started thinking about a past relationship then just kinda wandered off and finished up the 16. I knew Pinot Grij wasn’t going to show and I don’t blame him. He kinda got shafted earlier on in the season and I patiently await his return, with hope. Sorry buddy. I miss your work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieuEvmv0ZY0

Week 6 Battle Reviews

Mr. J vs Artifice

This battle was a lot closer then the votes tallied. Artifice wrote an amazing topical about the creation of the universe, I’ve done one similar about black holes and this made mine look about as empty as one. This isn’t even the thick of it, but still my favorite few lines..
a few minutes after birth the universe is a cosmic soup
fogged by plasma trapping subatomic particles zooming on the loose
balloons in darkness too for hundreds of thousands of years
until the temperature cooled down enough for fog surroundings to clear
rivers of photons flow freely & stream through space
shaping images, tracing growth from its own extremely youthful state
Mr. J wrote his piece about a drunk driver who got pulled over by some mysterious glowing lights he hadn’t quite figured out was a cop yet. Great work. He did a wonderful job of capturing the thought process of his character with these lines..

by now my vision doubled & the buzzing still continues.
at first it wasn't a problem but now its becoming an issue.
with each passing second I continued to lose strength...
I could stand fine, but no matter what I couldn't move. Great.
my best guess is that it seems better to wait & sit down
with the way my head is whirling its prolly best to lay in the sticks now

I particularly enjoyed that first bar. It just flowed so smoothly and is insanely true to life for an extremely inebriated individual. Where Mr. J meandered, Artifice drove ahead full force. The confidence of his writing in my opinion, gave him the victory last with a shutout by 7-0.

Adverse vs Breathless

Adverse wrote a strong piece about the effects of psych meds. The beginning stanza was told from the voice of a character on medication, full of great imagery and vivid description. He finished by writing in a completely different voice, a less drug-enhanced version of a morning. The switch was impeccable and the piece in it’s entirety was great. This is my favorite segment..

Open the door as the brisk breeze dances 'cross my face
A sea of green grass in front of me, crashing like the waves
Drops of dew glowing in the morning sun, basking in its rays
The doves serenade me with song as I pass...
I hum along to their performing, ensemble cast
Assume my role like i'm just another part of the act

Great imagery, very good flow too. Breathless on the other hand, well he admittedly wasn’t feeling the topic and didn’t produce a full piece. However, I think it had some hope if he had finished it. It was a piece about a man who was at his wife’s funeral, apparently. The story was honest and upfront, and this was my favorite part..

A cookie cutter housewife on the outside, but a monster behind closed doors.
Should I let that pretty picture she painted for the public remain in full form?
The question hangs dangerously at the edge of my teeth as I take my place behind the podium.
Breathless, anxious, feeling faint, lips pressed together as I decide what to open with.

This was quality writing and it’s a shame Breath didn’t ever get into it. It could have been amazing. Adverse shut him out 10-0.

Jesodist vs Innovator

Innovator dropped a cool piece that matched the tone of his topic well, which was “Further On Up The Road.” I think he did a great job nailing his topic and I definitely felt the piece. This is my favorite segment,
In an out of my mind, I can't help but drift.
Reality becomes a blur between the each water rift.
Within the space of each pendulum it's a lifetime
And I'm forced to each memory along tides eye.

Although there was no road, I think this piece reflected much of how I feel about life in general. I definitely related to it, the problem was Jesodist really went full force last week. He did his general thing but intentionally worked the topic in throughout, and that really worked well for him here. I do enjoy Jesodist work, but lines like this are great examples of his strong points,

An old man Sitting in a place that is Dark and Cold,
An art Museum displays all the Raps he Told,
Wearing a crown decorated with Glyding Orbs,
There is no telling the amount of Damage he Done,
Mentally Realighning Worlds,
Combining words that Eternally Ravage the Globe,
Build a castle then start raising a family Deep in the Mountains,
Drinking sparkling water from the Creeks and the Fountains,

I know it didn’t completely rhyme but I really liked it anyways. He set a scene that inspired awe and wonder in my soul. I truly appreciated this piece, in all it’s majesty. Even with a great difference in line count, Innovator made this a close battle but Jes took it with a strong 7-3 vote tally.

Frank vs 2tripple0

2k really flopped last week. I’m not sure if the pressure of his first contender match got to him, but 2tripple0 did you forget what league you were writing in bro? That’s NBL stuff, not topical. Anyway you’re free to drop whatever you want but I urge you to revise your writing process. I’m not really sure what this line meant, but it was fucking awesome and I take back everything bad I ever said about you,
You bout as useless as a cucumber

Dropping that heat! Watch out. Frank wrote a story about strippers getting into a fight in the back room, and it was glorious. His delivery was short in the breath but the verse was long in the tooth. Great work from Frank here, this was my favorite part..

Tackling damsels in distress - fabolous mammals
Ravenous hair pull - classlessness - flammable ramble
Clawing each other like terodactylus with manicured grapples
Financial battle, money badly mishandled
Splitting headache like a landing anvil - bashful
the girl beats her slamming her sandle

Man, this was gold. His ending was great too. Frank hit his topic with full force last week and I’m not surprised he took this 11-1.

Just Write vs Timeless

Last week Just Write wrote an absolutely beautiful love story. I was actually moved by it, it was truly enjoyable. I mean, just read this..

If your heart isn't in it, then what's it all for?
Nowadays too many marriages consistently end in divorce
But me and my baby were different, destined to be forever a pair
Through thick and thin, we were in it, no regrets or despair
Our affection was there, stong..never replaced
"But despite all of that, some things you can never escape...

For the record, I voted for Just Write mostly as a result of these lines. So true and in touch with his emotion, he was able to put into words the reason many couples are able to stay together in our modern caustic society. I appreciate this piece in all it’s greatness. The problem is, Timeless just came too hard. He caught a lot of votes early on and took the win with his flashy mechanics. Like here..

Tenfold the reactions, fine line he's crossed with prudential.
Asking too many questions, nodding as he talks with potential.
Fought the resentful, awaiting an upper hand to walk more eventful.
Narrow escape routes wearing him thin, tearing his skin.
Shawshank with a bullet, all pulled through an embarrassing grin.

Multiples, inners, carrying the rhymes. There’s really nothing more to be said, then Timeless outrhymed JW last week. He took it 4-3 in one of my favorite battles of the season.

Week 8 Outline

This week, we’re going to be diving into the past and utilizing the forgotten pieces of our heritage’s ancestry, along with a few thrown in as I saw fit to fill the venue. If you’ll take a look back and see the picture’s nobody loved; ones that resulted in double no shows in the beginning of the AOWL, many of those very images are on your plates today. Be thankful, for this week has some great topics that should make for some amazing stories. Let’s see what we’re getting into.

Predictions

Symetrik vs Asylum
After reading last week’s piece your challenge in chat makes more sense to me. I appreciate the fact you’ve been keeping it on the back burner, but we’ve been burning at full tilt for a while. If you really think you’re going to beat me this week, I hope you write the best piece you’ve ever written in your entire life. I’m going to try to. Good luck.

Innovator vs Jesodist

This week’s grudge match was set to settle the score. These two are close in their numbers. Their battle was one of the hardest decisions we all made last week. Their topic just happens to be right up Inno’s alley, an abstract image open to the most adept interpretation.. a kind of execution I’ve seen him execute several times flawlessly. I’m willing to bet he’s going to pin the tail on the donkey. Jesodist will be bringing that oldschool flare, tearing it up with rhymes and getting lost in them. At the same time if he dedicates himself to a storyline and utilizes some character development he’ll outrhyme his opponent as well. Problem is, I just don’t see that happening. Inno will take this 75/25. He’s burning for revenge.

Breathless vs Mr. J

These two will be battling it out to an abstract picture with a picturesque image at the top of keyboard extending into the sky. There’s guitars, clouds, grass, pianos, and blossoming trees in the background. In all reality, Breathless is all about that psychedelic life and he’ll get into this image. At the same time, he’ll go straight topical when J might drop a storyline. If Breathless goes full force we’re going to have a tough battle here. I’m giving this to Mr. J 80/20 based on what I’ve seen from both this season.

Adonis vs MMLP

These two emergency stand-ins got pitted against each other for a reason. They’re our reserve force, our emergency stand ins. Our five minute men. These two have a natural aptitude for creating quick storylines and I gave them this picture because I’m interested to see where they take it, we’ll see what kind of twist they put to match the twisted architecture of their subject matter. I’m guessing Adonis will take this because he’s been putting serious effort into his work lately. I wouldn’t want to battle him right now if I needed a win. Adonis, 90/10. MMLP could drop an upset on us real quick, if he put his mind to it.

Adverse vs 2tripple0

2tripple0 looks like he might’ve just realized he lost an opportunity to champ this season. He’s going to be putting some effort into this verse, I’m sure of it. Adverse is a worthy adversary for any of us, fresh in the scene and full of potential. His ability to tell a believable story is exceptional, and if 2k doesn’t rethink his writing process he’s going to lose. However, 2k is full of surprises this season. I’m giving this to Adverse but only 51/49. He might be disillusioned after getting dropped on so short by breathless last week, and I wouldn’t blame him if he was.

NYCSPITZ vs Cereal_Killer

This is going to be a battle of the titans if CK shows. NYC signed back in to our league, and I know I’m not alone when I say his return is welcomed. If you’re not familiar with the great Cereal Killer, he’s one of the most efficient users of imagery this world has ever scene. NYC is one of the greatest of all time. He’s what I would consider a professional writer, and takes the art form seriously. I think he’ll take this 60/40 because if CK goes full tilt it’s a toss up.

Contender Match: Artifice vs Just Write

With JW coming off a championship bout loss, he’s going to be hashing out a good story. I’m sure of it. His stories are easy to get into and always flow effortlessly. If JW pulls out some multiples and inners he’ll for sure take it. Artifice has a different style, there’s lots of mechanics involved and he is also a great storyteller. I think this one will be hard for JW to win, and Artifice might take this 70/30. He’s going to pull out the big guns.

Championship Match: Frank vs Timeless

I’m pretty confident this will be BOTW, for obvious reasons. Both of these writers are in peak shape, they’ll be putting on quite a show. I have no idea who’s going to win this, but seeing as how Frank hasn’t lost a single vote the season except Adonis’ hate vote.. he’ll probably beat out Timeless. 80/20. If Timeless writes a timeless masterpiece, which he’s known to do, he might take it still.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LT4qhiQC1s

Celebrity Interview

Posted by Billyjam, February 15, 2011 09:49am

http://www.amoeba.com/blog/2011/02/jamoeblog/interview-with-sf-producer-mophono-about-his-genre-pioneering-new-album-cut-form-crush.html

Today (Feb 15th), San Francisco DJ/producer Mophono releases the genre pioneering new album Cut Form Crush on CB Records. On it, the artist presents the three genres he calls Dirt Wave, Thug Jazz, and Skip on Beat. Last year Mophono, who also goes by the name of DJ Centipede, did a record with a project called Mophono's Halftone Society on Bastard Jazz Records, a cool small label out of Brooklyn that another Bay Area DJ/producer/remixer DJ Platurn has also recently released a record through.

For Cut Form Crush, which should appeal to fans of instrumental hip-hop and glitch-hop type beats, Mophono is joined by San Francisco's MC Subverse on "Rep," the album's only non-instrumental track, and by famed LA producer Flying Lotus on the track "Cut Form Crunch." Another LA based DJ/production talent, Gaslamp Killer, will be joining Mophono, along with Citizen Ten, in San Francisco this weekend when the artist will be throwing a record release party for Cut Form Crush on Saturday, Feb 19th at SOM Bar. Meantime, the album (which will be released on both CD and vinyl) arrives in Amoeba Music today. Recently I caught up with Mophono to talk about the new record and his career to date.

Amoeblog: For those who don't know about you, can you give us some history about you as an artist, including releases that people should be aware of?

Mophono: I grew up DJ'ing hip-hop and instrumental, experimental, and electronic music at raves and underground warehouse parties throughout the Bay Area since 1995. Before that it was just a hobby that started from listening to shit like the Beastie Boys, EPMD, and the Art Of Noise. I also definitely was inspired by my older brother, who played me a lot of rap, punk and industrial music, sandwiched with my mother and father's psychedelic folk background.

These elements, combined with the Bay Area B-Boy culture blossoming in the early 90's, allotted me the musical spectrum to create my first release in 2005. It was a sample based concept piece about the self and communication and had a lot to do with the human condition and the role of the artist/craftsman. In 2006 I remixed DJ Quest's "Live Human" and the song was featured on the [Daly City Records'] Baby Godzilla compilation.

Later in 2006 I turned down the opportunity to produce beats for House Of Pain's DJ Lethal (also Limp Bizkit) to produce a new musical format called Skip On Beat. I also knew there was more for me in the vinyl culture and experimental electronic music community. In 2008 I released the first all Skip on Beat compositions on "The Edge" 45rpm/7" and in 2010 formed Mophono's Halftone Society and released the Sinicism EP on Bastard Jazz Records, pioneering the Thug Jazz genre.

Amoeblog: How much has your music changed or evolved over the years?

Mophono: Man, it's changed a lot, I've gotten a bit more minimal in the instrumentation and am really feeling the dirtier sounds. You can hear it in my DJ sets. There's a bit more dark, aggressive drum rhythms, complex patterns and distorted drum machine sounds and experimental synth arpeggiation. This is also reflected a lot in my compositions, especially on my new album, Cut Form Crush. Texturally it's gotten a whole lot richer and more specific. Like, I love the sound of one beautiful instrument recorded really interestingly -- whether it be an old ass baritone sax or the crappiest garbage drum machine or the fanciest organ with the perfect leslie, to kicking a pile of snare drums, to sampling on an Iphone, to static record dust.

Amoeblog: Why do you go by the two names DJ Centipede and Mophono?

Mophono: I have been DJ'ing so much music that I don't want to let go of my heritage as a odd baller from the mixtape generation of Bay Area turntablists meets D n B electro experimentalism. Even though I love drum machines and moogs and live instruments, the turntables have been my tool for more than a decade now. I was named DJ Centipede by my original DJ and production team mate who I helped start a DJ co-operative in 1995 called the Ace Revolution Mechanics (A.R.M.). At the time, the only other electronic music crews in the Bay either threw house music rave parties or was Phunkatek. Mophono is the title I use when creating my own compositions on stage or in the studio, but the line tends to blur when I DJ my own compositions.

Amoeblog: Is SF a good place for artists like you to be making music or is LA better?

Mophono: The Bay Area is the dopest place on earth, period. That being said, I have hella love for all cities, L.A. included. My mother was born in Brooklyn and drove across the earth to come to the Bay Area in the sixties and my father was born in Oakland, the second motor city of America, so the Bay Area is my home. No other city on earth has the freedoms that we have here in San Francisco and I use the open-mindedness and support of the community to build new forms of musical and creative expression. Honestly, San Francisco is the best place to make music and the hardest place to sell it.

Amoeblog: I know your record release party on Saturday is at SOM Bar, but is the Tuesday club night "Change the Beat" at the same venue with you as Centipede and all those other DJs still happening?

Mophono: Yes, Change the Beat is so dope! All the homies that have performed along the way and all the regulars, and like I was saying about the Bay Area and how supportive of new sounds and expression... man, we have been able to have some of the world's top musical minds through Change the Beat. Gaslamp Killer helped me start it in January of 2006 and was a resident for almost a year before he moved to L.A. and since then it has been a musical haven for many electronic and experimental artists like Salva, Low Limit and Dibia$e. My main goal in creating Change the Beat was to form a creative platform free of traditional closed minded pressures. So far we have all been very lucky to work together and have acts roll through the party like Flying Lotus, Samiyam, Slum Village, Edan, Andy Votel, Slugabed, Eprom, and so many fucking dope people from across the board.

Amoeblog: Tell me about the Skip on Beat genre.

Mophono: Skip on Beat is a new technology I am still developing. Skip on Beat wax is more than a record; it's a machine. Skip on Beat means, no matter where you drop the needle, the record stays on beat. Q-Bert and DJ Swamp pioneered skip proof records that helped take scratching and turntablism to another level. I really see Skip on Beat as something that could change the way we view and listen to vinyl records. Imagine being able to have a dashboard turntable or ride your bike with a record player. At the record release party for my Skip on Beat record The Edge, I invited people to come and bump the turntables and try to skip the record; everyone really freaked out and it became a completely interactive scene and blew a lot of people's minds, including mine. I still have not fully expanded on the tech side of things but there are two songs on my new album, "Now" and "Cut Form Eight." Both are Skip on Beat and the beauty is you can only do it with the vinyl copies.

Amoeblog: And how do you describe the Dirt Wave style?

Mophono: Dirt Wave falls closer to punk and musique concrete, but tips its hat to post punk industrial and new wave musical textures...really, I hope to dive more into it now that this album is done.

Amoeblog: And what about the Thug Jazz? Love that name, by the way.

Mophono: Thank you, yes, the title Thug Jazz was created by Aspect McCarthy, co-founder of the JAZZ MAFIA in S.F. and Change the Beat resident. It is a term used to describe the act of "Thugging out your sound system." The genre is still being developed by artists all over the world. Some of them don't even know it, they just make hard shit that is untouchable. There is a song called "Bumps" by a project I created called Mophono's Halftone Society on Bastard Jazz out of Brooklyn last year. That song does the genre justice for real.
Amoeblog: Can you break down the Mophono's Halftone Society project?

Mophono: The Halftone Society is a group of like minded musicians that come from the same school of dedication to the art of recording and playing with discipline and not needing so many notes all over the place, you know; people not afraid to play some simple melodies and rhythms, but with balls and feeling.

Amoeblog: Also, can you tell me what the album's recurring term, "Cut Form," means to you?

Mophono: It's kind of symbolic, because I came up with the title with a friend in 2007 after buying a drum machine with Flying Lotus at Robot Speak in the Lower Haight, San Francisco. As far as what it means to me, it definitely relates to the process of getting away from traditional forms and rules but also creating and building relative to them. Each composition or piece of music was created as a template or a rough sketch, a beat, that would later be developed into a composition or song.

Cut Form Crush has many songs that were created specifically for it. I wanted to create a body of music, like movements or parts of the project, [something] that has more value together. At one point I was considering releasing the whole album as one 45 minute track without song separations. But when I thought of the listeners, I realized that was unfair. I just really feel strongly about keeping the songs together as the album.

Amoeblog: What was the instrumentation and recording process for Cut Form Crush?

Mophono: There are so many digital tools available right now and with computers there are so few limitations, it has become daunting to decipher direction because of the endless options. I remember when all we had was an 8 second sampler and sequenced it with a DR 660 drum machine and then [would] record onto a 4 track recorder. Limitations created obstacles that pushed us to do more and be more creative composers. It's funny, in a sense we were inspired more because of all the rules to break and miss using equipment created new effects and odd outcomes that would surprise us. On Cut Form Crush, I kept re-inventing ways to construct compositions and while it was definitely cool getting real technical with programing and digital effects and automation, I was real hyped on recording grand pianos into handheld tape cassette recorders and distorting full drum recordings into static crunches.

Amoeblog: You collaborated with the Gaslamp Killer. Can you talk a bit about that, too?

Mophono: Most folks aren't up to date and other people just don't know of the huge and diverse history of recorded music and what makes old recordings so dope to listen to. Willie [The Gaslamp Killer was born William Benjamin Bensussen] and I have worked on many recordings together; he is one of the most inspiring artists for me to record with definitely because we share a knowledge of odd, obscure music from the newest underground producer to the most rare, sought after psyche beats.

Amoeblog: When you play live what gear/instrumentation do you use?

Mophono: I love the drums and have performed with live drummers but love the drum machine equally. I usually do live needle lifting and play the moog with a drum machine and look forward to the next time I can bring out a string section again.

Amoeblog: And what can people expect at the release party on Saturday night in San Francisco?

Mophono: I purposefully decided to do it at a smaller, more intimate space because I wanted to enjoy the party. It's gonna be myself, Gaslamp and Citizen Ten, we started Change the Beat together, so it means a lot to me to have us together again. There are going to be crazy psychedelic visuals, live performance and amazing DJ's and all the dope party people who have supported me along the way.

Amoeblog: Anything to add?

Mophono: Look out for more Mophono's Halftone Society and the Skip on Beat records to come and I have been making a lot of mixtapes, so keep your eyes on cbrecords.com. Peace!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCRt73GpV_w

Flashback Battle

In this championship match, Pent Up and ZeeDee battled it out in one of my favorite battles of all time.

http://www.netcees.org/showthread.php?t=6680&highlight=Shepard

Psycho Cycle

Charlie Bowins can hardly focused and this is risking his life
With his young wife, who's his caregiver that commits and abides
By all his rules, wishes and guides even as he hits her for lies
That he's convinced of because his brain's mixed up with dementia inside
He's 85, but his young wife is stuck in her 50s
She's in love, but it's tempting
to overdose him with something that ruptures his kidneys
Or drug him with any
of his regular meds while his stomach is empty
Because he'd lose his change and accusable games
got her beat for touching his pennies
Crazy now, but in the 60s, Charlie was boss of the block
Calling the shots with paws full of pot as the big dog at the top
All of that stopped when he realized this new trouble had started
Which made him feel dumb and retarded: to be someone's next target
Charlie's memory fades as he recollects sections to stencil in place
And within this phase, pictures are traced, but timelines are different in days
This gets insane as he dismisses his age, thinking he's 20 for play
Trying to get inside May, his young wife as she tells him,
"you're bones are too brittle: you'll break!"
When he was able to admit this and say, "I'm sorry for hitting you babe.
But I'm missing my brain." They'd laugh it off and she'd start kissing his face
This was their way with him spitting this game that would whisk her away
Then she creates something to help him as a subliminal aid
Pictures of days in his present age properly fit in their frames
At least one image was placed in every room and given legitimate space
On September 8th, the family threw Charlie a cookout at home
A full Bar B Q feast; charcoal and meat with beans and corn put on the stove
Potato, macaroni and other generations of salad
Are placed next to napkins and Hawaiian rolls on the table for balance
Charlie comes out of his room and they all scream to surprise him
In several teams of excitement, which makes Charlie see them as violent
A flash of dementia happens to enter and he runs in his room
Feeling dumb and confused; wondering where in the fuck's his platoon
Surrounded by enemies, he starts loading all the guns he can use
They're repeating their screams in Vietnamese
so he throws grenades under their shoes
Hunting; he shoots something that moves through the smoky flames
He holds his aim close in range and keeps unloading pain
One in the ear goes through their eyes to appear
as if he cries blood in his tears
They're running in fear, but something seems weird,
that's when he's jumped from the rear
Swinging his fists in meaningless fits, but nothing he see's being hit
They pick him up after several giggles and laughter have them needing to sit
May leans with a kiss directly placing her mouth between his two lips
And Charlie wakes up from his evil visions into a dream full of bliss
The rifle he was clutching to aim turns into an adjustable cane
As he sees socks over the place, realizing that was the grenades
The Vietnam war ended that day as Charlie becomes less insane
Suffering in shame with nothing to say, he just cuddles with May
His tantrum is over,
but it's damaged this soldier as those memories keep fading
Mentally, he's crazy
and needing more care for meds, food and consistently bathing
Charlie's in his 80s; too late to give his brain sensitivity training
Which goes to show; you start off and end life with the tendencies of a baby

Hair of the Dog
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, still exists." —Phillip K. Dick

Everything was red - like when you're awake but your numb
and your eyes are closed but you're facing the sun.
You lie there with your head aching a ton
while managing the confined space in your lungs.
Your taste-buds are pushing up daisies and rum,
but you cant get rid of the flavor it sprung.
Your eyelids slowly stop hugging themselves
and the sun greets your temple with a bludgeon to help.
Focus is pulled to become a drum-skin that's stretched
as hollow hearts evolve beyond a "bumping effect."
Summer is met as the sky's blues are magnified
while pupils half their size from hues that stagger eyes.
A dizziness comes from the woozy-patterned sky
like things lightly reflected are dually sacrificed.
Movement might happen like you're flinching and twitching
before rolling in graves to get into the sitting position.
A lawn exposed with torture methods strange and passe
- your head pounded the same direction and way the grass sways.
The green color palpitates against your face in vast rays
and its existence alone elates the drab pain.
The weight just cascades pushing the earth and your sleep
of mud muddled from tears rubbing the dirt on your cheeks.
A proverbial groan that sounds like it merged with a squeal
is let out between a muttered prayer and a courteous plea.
Eyes searching the field find the sun shimmering
against your open bottle beside your unfinished drink.
That one glistening thing makes you wince at the sky;
forcing a reverse vertigo feeling of drifting inside.
The light blue comforts while bridging the sight
with tear sockets too dirt clogged and hindered to cry.
There's grit in your eye, and a timely memory,
blurring a vision of future with a myriad effigies.
A beetle sized lump jumping inside - impending speech
and allowing only whimpers to fly breathlessly.
Breezes that free skin but can dampen your gasps.
Chain tight vein lines along hands in a path
that lead to fatigue while you stand in the grass.
Mundane sun rays that's force you to grab for that glass.
Shattered, relaxed, nerves are swept with fear...
the warm drink becomes a working grenadier.
You slowly examine the dirt you slept on here
to see one outstanding German Shepard ear.
A glance at what you began the night prior,
as a gust thrusts your innards and expands your eyes wider.
- Experiencing a best friend being buried to rot
- both your sense of control and clarity lost...
Liquid courage rises as your lips cherish the sauce.
You'll end and start this the same way
- hair of the dog.

Pent Up took this one for the Championship beating out ZeeDee 4-2. Amazing displays of topical prowess. Both pieces were masterpieces in their own right, but Pent Up wrote my theme song and I love him for it. Hope both of these guys sign back in soon!

Final Word

There is no better time than now to write the piece you've always wanted to write. Put in your best effort and get the best results. It's a matter of being dedicated, showing respect, and taking pride in your work. Do you? Show us.

Notes***
Please vote on time this week! I want to push the due date to Saturday night.

http://i.imgur.com/xNmE7zZ.gif

2tripple0
04-23-2016, 09:09 AM
Dope mag... I again apologize for last week I will write more this time... I think this is the main problem people complain about... And again I think the voters wanted more plot development which I will try to apply to all my pieces... Anyways good luck to adverse and everyone else and to Frank for making the champ match this week

Inno
04-23-2016, 12:36 PM
Fucking dope mag foreal.

Props to all involved in the making of this.

Enjoyed the read thoroughly

Just Write
04-23-2016, 02:41 PM
fuck your predictions nigguh... jk

nice mag pat. :D

symetrik
04-23-2016, 05:08 PM
I’m not sure if you just weren’t trying as hard or trolling us the entire time.
appreciate it. instead of giving myself thirty minutes I gave myself a day! I'll try hard again.

Adverse
04-23-2016, 09:55 PM
Dope mag fellas. Sorry was trying to help but got busy, throw me a task at the beginning of this week and I'll get it done

Cereal_Killa
04-24-2016, 06:38 AM
What is it,
It's in your mouth..
..Vern Acular..
(Myer)
Plastic tubs slitting the shine in your eyes it is fire..

I never hung up my mask,
Say summen..
Like yo yo's are children..
Screaming populating my..

"Safety I'm Safe"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhxTDd9Ne-g

Cereal_Killa
04-25-2016, 05:31 AM
Reflection verse,

Of my mask..
is it it is more like..
collected..