PDA

View Full Version : AOWL Season 7 Magazine: The Preseason Edition

Frank
12-15-2016, 09:24 AM
http://i.imgur.com/uAJesXX.png

lucky # 7

by Anonymous

introduction

Alas! Low and behold,! Once again back, It's The Incredible! Gentleman - Emerging out of the rubble rock; AOWL's Season 7 single handily puts the website back on the map for another historic tenure of world renown penmanship of the most colossal and formidable you will find for 550, 000 miles of interactive networks in either direction of the world wide web: Out of hibernation, our league has assembled a voluminous group with a spirited history. Let us take a look at the starting line up for what is certain to be a thrillingly competitive opening Season: Before we begin though, let's look back back upon some of the greatest moments and matches of this unrivaled story line of ours. But before we get into that, let's cover the basics -

Season 7 will be unprecedented. The duration is up to the people. Possibly a poll could settle it once and for all. The dreaded decision all moderators must make early on in any season. How high are we going to set the bar. Some will enthusiastically push for the standard 16 weeks. Others will unanimously agree on a 12 week season, while others will, a rare bunch, if you will, of iron men will suggest the 20 week season. As of now, the collective consensus is 14 weeks. Though, this is subject to change in the upcoming weeks with all sorts of variables at play here. Line limitations and due dates are going to be clear each and every week - along with topics and guidelines pertaining voting. The Highly Anticipated Season 7 Championship match is now scheduled for week 7. These next few weeks of epic, grueling, gauntlet like challenges will reveal the two candidates set to square off for the highest prominence.

Pick up where we left off.

First - a a look back at our inaugural opening week Preseason Magazine's of each of the previous 5 seasons...

Season 1 - King Ra
http://www.netcees.org/showthread.php?t=3652

Season 2 - Mike Wrecka
http://www.netcees.org/showthread.php?t=19195

Season 3 - Certain
http://www.netcees.org/showthread.php?t=54741

Season 4 - Adonis
http://www.netcees.org/showthread.php?t=97912

Season 5 - Dr. Dog
http://www.netcees.org/showthread.php?t=119805

Season 6 - Frank
http://www.netcees.org/showthread.php?t=123036

You might be wondering what I, the Season 6 champion, has in store for this Season. Well, look no further.

-Indepth Magazines with all inclusive details-
Featuring the Noteworthy "Writers Block'" which features sensational dialogue between some of the internet's most creative and crafty inventors.

Here we take a look back at the magic moments the Writers Block has given us.

Vulgar, SRAL's STI Storytelling Topical Invitational Champion, and Oats, elaborating on the process:

VULGAR: What up oatsy. As an English teacher myself (only in the fictional sense) I've taught thousands of students my methods. Some people call me the Mecca of Bizarre Topicalisms, while others call me a strange individual with pretentious gusto. I'm here to slightly dispel some of those myths by exposing some of my creative writing processes. When I see a "topic" be it an image, quote or a string of words, I either give it a quick glance and "garner its magic" immediately or I stare at it for about 2 or 3 minutes, considering the possibilities. Let's say it's Vulgar vs. Oats (3) and I know I have a very tough opponent ahead of me who's going to write his ass off... I'm not going to go for a simple, everyday concept, nor the first one that springs to my mind, unless it's a really original thought.

Is there a true formula for writing a verse? No, not really. I usually try to take notes for verses I'm planning on putting a significant amount of mental effort into. If I have a free second throughout the day, I'll scroll down ideas. For instance, last week's topic was a picture of old men at a table playing poker with marbles instead of chips. I'm not really an avid poker player myself, so I decided to use an element in the picture: the grinning old man who had his hands in the "pot" of cards. The picture was hinting that he had the winning hand and he was collecting his rewards. This translated into my brain: Write a fantastical folklore-ish type of tale using a Pans Labyrinth-like set of characters: Man, little girl, mythical creature, and relate it to the concept of excessive greed turning out for the worst.

It was a risk not to take the picture literally and write about gambling, but as oats said in his vote on the battle, I actually made a gamble with my interpretation of the theme. All of this, I would say, is Part 1 of the Writing Process: Take a chance, do something you've rarely if ever seen done before, and try to succeed at it.

OATS: Professor Vulgar, I always find it interesting to see how others go about their writing. As you said, there is no one way to write, and given the vast complexities of the human brain, you can imagine that there are innumerable ways to unleash its creativity.

I cosign the idea of waiting for the second, third, fourth idea before really going into it. The same idea was true when I was more of a battler than a topicalist - you don’t take the predictable, obvious angles; you want to strive for something that will dawn on the reader, something they weren’t immediately thinking of.

I have the unfortunate task of watching Mexican soap operas with my girlfriend. Of course, I don’t speak spanish, so to me it’s just one emotionally heavy conversation followed by another in different rooms. In any case, she translates the gist of what’s happening, and inevitably I start guessing who is responsible for the scandalous rumor (“Mari-Cruz had to have sabotaged the wedding!”). This is how I imagine people read topicals. If they can guess where I’m going right off the bat, then I didn’t do a good job, in either my concept itself or my execution of it. On the other hand, if I’m too subtle, then they’ll miss my message altogether. So it’s a balancing act, and one that requires the assumption that people will read my verse more than once before rendering a verdict.

Good points, guys.

"Interviews" prying into the psyche of the AOWL one writer at a time, offering subscribers interesting details into the lives of your fellow writer, from a writing, and non writing related view point. Here, Asylum does a phenomenal job getting an insightful perspective from one of the AOWL's most controversial writers, 2tripple0 in an interview from Season 6.

ASYLUM: Let me start this out by congratulating you on your win against season 5's champion, Godcomplex. Against all odds, you've taken down our reigning champ in an extremely one sided victory. Congratulations on your great start into Season 6. Which aspects of your verse do you feel gave you the edge over your opponent? Why do you really think you won?

2TRIPPLE0: I'm not entirely sure why the votes went my way but I think it was the right decision. I think i took into consideration what feedback I received from the other writers in the league and that made a big difference concerning the votes last week. Also I've been posting a lot more recently and I just think practice makes perfect so all in all I think it's mostly because I am trying to show more engagement with netcees.org in general and that has implemented my success and improvement overall.

"Open Mic Features"
Prolific pieces from Netcees Open Mic Forum on display showcasing talent that may not be participating in our league, but are a member of the site, nonetheless.

by Certain orginally posted 09/30/2016
vs deadman STI Final Four Topical Invitational
http://www.netcees.org/showthread.php?t=124844

"Pig"

Lights glow in the rain. Red and blue, deadened hues,
dulcet tones. The morning’s approaching. Check the news.
Death and gloom, depression fumes. The smell of weed
still lingers on the leather seats.
License, registration and a bucket list of felonies.
Both hands on the wheel, he shoots the cop a crooked glance.
No. False. Moves. No twitching, stretching or looking back.
Yes, the fabricated apologies fall from his cracked lips.
Cuff of his sleeve soaks as the cop stalls with a flashlight.
The palms of his wrapped fists drip sweat onto the wheel
as the officer’s scan finds no threat or contraband steel.
The window rolls up. Sigh of relief. Heart still finding its beat
knowing a broken taillight can lead to chalked lines on the street.
Enveloped in a world where black skin’s a sign of defeat,
he mutters a single word as he drives from the scene.

“Pig.” Some wear it like a badge, with pride and belief,
so damn certain that they’re on the right side of the beef.
The right side of the law. And the law is the order of man,
which in turn protects the weak and keeps discord in remand
to make sure everyone’s every day goes according to plan.
But whose plan? The question no one’s been afforded to ask,
presuming planets find their orbit in a sorted line dance.
But we’re ignoring what’s before us, it’s a sordid romance
where the power lines dangle like a tourniquet’s knot.
Now lest we try to expose this as a murderous plot,
keep in mind, it’s more corrosive and disturbingly wrought.

“Pig.” The job prescribes a head-down, stubborn mentality
where following commands is rewarded with government salary,
a gun and some power. See, it’s the vocation of broken jocks
who once assumed authority over nerds, grunts and loner goths.
The cap and the nightstick form the silhouette of an enemy,
a brute force of capital gains with death as a penalty.
The streets remain the home of cracks, crack and homelessness,
unprotected as we swig and pass back the opiates.
They’re told to only keep us off Nasdaq and Park Ave.
as gats flash and cars crash and black flags rise over us.
The corner: A training ground for both the cops and the thugs,
where the stakes are cardboard caskets and fatherless sons.
So we resent them, boys in blue posted up on our hard streets
who strut to the drums of black bodies thudding on concrete.

“Pig.” Like the one that took the life of Keith Lamont Scott.
Flash his mug on the news, ebony hue — he was our cop.
Nope. We know better. From the crying wife to protestors.
It’s not that they’re Uncle Toms. They’re trying life as go-getters.
But the ties that bind us don’t sever. He’s caught in the trap, too.
Masks cover the actions of another affirmative black dude.
Even the white cops, products of a system in place
specifically targeted to reinforce their visions of race.
And we can’t breathe. Hands up, eyes down. Give up the chase.
Disassembling our physical frames in the name of keeping them safe.
The guilt turns to fear turns to distrusting avoidance.
That same fear, in them, starts this disgusting performance.
So we’re on the block with attitude, fist-pumping the chorus.
It’s fuck the police — even as the system’s fucking them for us.
http://i.imgur.com/SYBFt1U.jpg

"Reviews"
Play by play analysis summarizing the entire battle, which will include the win margin, the vote count, the voters sentiments, and the overall highlights. Expect an array of different voices to chime in here, with other personalities offering their perspective on the matter, which will be sure to provide you with tip top commentary.

"Vote of the week" (VOW)
VOW will be appointed to the most meticulous, articulate, sincere vote henceforth. A special tally will be kept to keep track of the do gooders and their unequivocal deeds. Making it easy to honor an exemplary voter at the end of the Season.

VOW (vote of the week) goes to Zygote in the Season 1: Week 7 Championship battle between Frank 5-0 versus Red glare 4-1.

Firstly, you both write like the same the writer. E.g., extended rhyme schemes and heavy use of semi-colon.

Red Glare, while enjoyed the rhyme schemes and technical ability, perhaps it lacked coherence. There were strong themes, especially the worldwide descriptions which were nice. Some lines were confusing. E.g., " the rabbit - runs across the field; faster then noise;" maybe this a colloquialism but I didn't understand the metaphor/reference. Same observation for the "Captain Roy - asteroid hemorrhoid" line. Enjoy ambiguity to a certain extent but lost your train of thought here and it was off-putting.

Frank, in this it seems like the focus was on the descriptions. Really enjoyed the descriptions of minute details, focusing on the very small while also moving the story along was great writing. E.g., foot prints line, picture the glimmer, and off our liquor flask line. Full praise for what you wrote this week. Also enjoyed the message, which I interpreted as missionaries claiming to be word of God are actually the devil for Indigenous cultures. One minor criticism, the word "shooken" seems wrong. Overall, voted for Frank.

"Piece of the week" (POW)
POW is self explanatory. All will hail your powerful excerpt in a magnetized manner in our respected magazine.

POW (piece of the week)
Vulgar, S.T.I Finals vs Certain
"Literary Messiah"

Mankind’s intelligence decreased rapidly, it seems the light departed
No more igniting parchment, no sense of direction when night is harshest
Pounding temples. Incoherence, income vanished, it's all out the window!
Yesterday, humans comprehended language... today? Confounding symbols
clouded mentals; civilization broke down over a period of weeks
Mouths gaped open, crooning from Bombay to Iceland - no conspiracies to leak
appearances were bleak, people forgot the wrongs and the rights
Devolved overnight, but why? Neither zombies nor apes, just delirious & weak
not a soul remained, except one, to recite funeral rites and preach
his pedagogy really had no chance of awakening the googly eyed beasts
Along with forgetting how to read, humans wouldn't plant seeds
triggering a domino effect of unfulfilled physiological needs
Yes, there was vague hope. Those who survived - billions dreamed
When they awoke, they personified the sudden death of thinking machines

Ned was a custodian of sorts, an oral historian and archivist
He was the last man on Earth, practically... a note-taker and columnist
preserving and analyzing texts was the basis of his mission
However, today he wasn’t upbeat, nor was he migrating data into systems
He'd been forced to blockade the library doors, mobs raided his position
he made revisions, relocated to the top floor to read for a time there
none of the city’s inhabitants had the depth awareness to even climb stairs!
Ned grew tired fairly quickly after reciting Dr. Seuss -
turns out minds fared terribly
he’d never seen grown adults and old folks act this rudimentary
Officially the smartest man on Earth, before he was average at best
cataloguing historical materials in cabinets, trapped at a desk
The whole library in a whimsical disarray, in the air was an ancient smell
of spoiled coffee, sweating bodies draped over misshapen shelves
Many stumbled indoors & caught Ned reading The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells
A book he thought appropriate for illustrating his place, he felt
“All men, however highly educated, retain some superstitious inklings.”
The squinting faces below couldn’t understand it, but they couldn't resist it
Ned recited key excerpts aloud, peering down through his monocles
“I went over the heads of the things a man reckons desirable
No doubt invisibility made it possible to get them, but it made it impossible
to enjoy them when they are got.”
In a moment of empathy, Ned identified with the narrator heavily
It was meant to be, that he was sent to seed ideas into their memories
A simulation of the Greek Lyceum to educate and formulate concepts
to re-teach the alphabet to the masses - by reforming the process
somehow, some way, the world had to learn to take care of themselves
This disorder & nonsense had to end; far too much wear-n-tear on the shelves
Ned knew it was all over, his job, his ex-wife Mildred, retirement plans
empty gas stations, train cars stuffed with dim wits - jive with the band!
Street performers slumped in seats; in Cape Town they lay in drunken heaps
their musical IQ's dry as the sand -
blank stares from anyone who held the Quran or a Bible in hand
“Everyone seemed eager to talk at once, and the result was Babel”
he read from The Invisible Man, as the people below mumbled, bedazzled
Ned was a character in a story too far fetched to be true, a lector prone
to give the gift of gab to anyone who might process it, over the megaphone
The first couple of readings were sobering episodes -
His boss was in the crowd, with a runny nose, foam on his office clothes
From God knows what... Jesus Christ, this was a snot-nosed bunch.
and outside wasn't much better -
you see, in this brainless age, potholes sucked. Snapped ankles.
Crippled bystanders - they shuffled their feet, and became entangled
Ned went to the library's roof, looked out at the city, wondered if he was alone
was this a eugenics experiment gone awry? Governments deemed it unknown
He walked through a maze of cubicles toward a room he locked every day
I Am Legend sat on his cot, an old copy of Soylent Green on top of a crate
"B-b-boooook," said a voice, in a primitive grunt. Ned was jolted to action
"Book! Someone said book!" he cried, feeling a surge of hope & compassion
he ran downstairs in haste & found an adolescent boy emitting the word
His copper-brown eyes were glazed over, he appeared a little disturbed
he jabbed his index finger at The Odyssey, tears running, stuttered in place
Mankind's fall from grace had ended!
The invisible man, flushed with relief, began to show some color in his face

Quote:
“Can I take your hat and coat, sir,” she said, “and give them a good dry in the kitchen?”
“No,” he said without turning.
She was not sure she had heard him, and was about to repeat her question.
He turned his head and looked at her over his shoulder.
“I prefer to keep them on,” he said with emphasis
- The Invisible Man, H.G. Wells, pg. 1

"Predictions"
Here is where I peer into my crystal ball and make an educated guess. It's funner if everybody does a prediction. Please play along in our Chat & Predictions thread each and every week for the duration of the entire season.

AOWL Pick Em 2016 WEEK 1

Legion (0-0) vs. Frank (0-0)
Topic: I find that ducks' opinion of me is greatly influenced by whether or not I have bread.

Legion is battling Maximus in the 10th week of the NBL (Netcees Battle League). He's 2-2. Relatively new. Appears to have dropped his verse already. From my brief research nothing much has materialized on him besides periodic stints in the 1-2 punch league and NBL. His sole surviving piece dates topically back to January 5th, 2015. Entitled the "Empty Mirror" http://www.netcees.org/showthread.php?t=115598
It's been a few months for me too. But I'm looking to come back home to Cleveland and win this year. The Cubs ended their drought, maybe you could this year too. Ha. Not on my watch. I'm going back to back.

Innovator (0-0) vs. Maximus (0-0)
Topic: It is not fair to ask of others what you are unwilling to do yourself.

Innovator was the co-captain of the late, discontinued Poetry League that I champed over sral. A zany playground of bizarre ness. Innovator might've have champed the league on a no-show victory and got an accolade for it; that's how crazy that league was being ran. Innovators poetic license sometimes gets him into blunted fender benders. Innovator is a solid mid carder who is yet to make the AOWL playoffs in his 6 seasons. Unexpected moments of beautiful language often appear in his material overshadowed by a collage shortage. Maximus made his debut last season with really nothing to show for. Maximus and Legion are battling in the nbl this week. Participating in all of Netcees leagues means Maximus may be the most versatile writer on the board at this very moment. I predict Innovator unintentional headbutt knockouts out Maximus 4-1.

Jesodist (0-0) vs. Timeless (0-0)
Topic: If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it.

Jesodist ran wildly through the AOWL last season almost comparable to a Tasmanian devil. Probably the most vaudevillian and scrutinized of last season with one of the least fan friendly styles. Capitalizing on horror core themes with unorthodox capitalization. A vicious scriber with a pension for demonic other wordly themes, often teetering around 64 lines. A permanent fixture of the Open Mic sub forums. From a critical standpoint, Jesodist often infuses any topic or picture in general with his normal fantasy driven tirade, lacking real conceptual prowess to tackle a topics from any other angle. Jesodist showed a lot of heart last season, participating late into the season with a 2-8 record, venting while absorbing the brunt of a lot of negative feedback. Timeless, on the other hand started last season with a victory and didn't look back - going 7-2 at one point, signing out, and in, throughout the season and ultimately sitting the playoffs out. Timeless was sort of a pushover seasons 1-5, even dating back into the NWL days. Not anymore. I'm rocking with Jesodist here hoping he can return super polished like Certain Serpent had a hand in editing it.

Pancakebrah (0-0) vs. Artifice (0-0)
Topic: Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

The Winter Topical Moderator himself: El Pancake, king of coif. More posts on Netcees than anyone else with 33,000 plus. Resident indie go to guy for anything chic or emo. Cake had an impressive run during Season 2 rising up and distinguishing himself among the top tier champing. Good to see Cake compete without worrying about tarnishing his newfound perfect image. Don't expect much here though, he no showed his own winter topical. Even though he did make my threads view able, so he may be active again? Artifice came out of no where season 6 and went like 12 and 1 before I stopped him in his tracks. Underrated with mainstay potential. Interesting match, guys. If Artifice's momentum carries into this season he will get a big victory here over a Pancakebrah, who if isn't coifed to a T here will surely lose his edge here to Artifice.

Pinot Grij (0-0) vs. NYCSPITZ (0-0)
Topic: What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Pinot Grij's coming off that huge upset loss to Enj in srals sti topical storytelling invitational. Sral bigged Pinot Grij up to be the favorite of the tournament and Pinot was strong armed by the less experienced battler Enj in a close bout. Pinot Grij has sex appeal though, he'll be back. A paramount picture writer who goes for the gusto with a dedicated fervor. One of the more comedic writers in the history of the Netcees topical scene. Winter Topical Champion. NYCSPITZ, winner of the Alias Topical Tournament. Appeared in the Season 4 AOWL Championship Battle against deadman. If NYCSPITZ is in gear like his first postmates leads us to believe, Pinot Grij will be in store for another doozie. Pinot Grij will have to outfunny NYCSPITZS mythical here. Outcome will boil down to voter preference. NYCSPITZ summoned Pinot and looks to drink his soul here. Pinot will have to be hilarious to stand a chance here. NYCSPITZ bliztkriegs Pinot Grij.

Adonis (0-0) vs. Mr. J (0-0)
Topic: Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.

Adonis, you are the custodian of the AOWL, helping to pick up the pieces in the most desperate times. A very opinionated individual whom we're sure we'll hear from in the future mags. Adonis has modded different topical leagues on different websites at the same time. He fluctuates between middle and top tier. Early round 2 exits in both season 3 and season 4's playoffs. Adonis went 6-5 in Season Six before graciously giving his playoff berth to NYCSPITZ helping Asylum Mod. Adonis dropped his verse already. Read it already. Appropriate first verse of season 7. Mr. J never did get the memo of Netcees death, and has remained a presence in our open mic sub forums. This is a controversial match up - with less on the line this time. Whoever wins here will get off to a good start. The two jostled in the opener last season. Mr J won 5-4 adding insult to injury. Picking Adonis in a reverse outcome of 5-4 in his favor in this seasons opener.

Awww Shit (0-0) vs. Slechtn (0-0)
Topic: If not us, who? If not now, When?

Two jobbers jobbing to the death for our amusement

MMLP (0-0) vs. 2tripple0 (0-0)
Topic: You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?"

MMLP is out of srals shadow. This season MMLP is standing on his own two feet without the wing to nestle him in. MMLP is a premier mid carder with a knack. If MMLP is motivated look for MMLP to pull off a couple notable victories this season. 2Tripple0 is AOWL Alumni though, single handily keeping Netcees alive with discussion forum propaganda. Well done Mr. 2Tripple0, Of all people, 2tripple0 managed to keep Netcees interesting again until the AOWL returned. Upsetting Godcomplex in the last season opener. 2Tripple0 with a semi upset.

Razah (0-0) vs. Echo (0-0)
Topic: Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them such.

Razah's on the come up in the circuit. Precision, to the point, chiseling, compact treat of a writer. The Razah's fan friendly style has gained somewhat of a small following. He's admitted to not writing anything since last season. Granted, we're all guilty of this. His opponent is the Conon Mcgregor of the nbl. An irish alias with clout. Dabbling in topical battles through out the eras, this alias who I didn't realize was one - until Baron Mynd brought it to my attention. Not sure if we should disclose this guys identity. Sort of a big deal. I got Razah, though. Take out this nbl thug

Diablo (0-0) vs. deadman (0-0)
Topic: To the world you may be just one person, but to one person you may be the world.

And last but not least... A historic showdown with little promotion or exposure or hype - Until now. The Rematch of the Original Winter Topical Championship Tournament.

Need I say more.....

Final word

Welcome to Season 7. I'll be your host. I am that first post in the AOWL forum, 4 years ago . (http://www.netcees.org/showthread.php?t=2535)
This all started with A premonition that has lead us to this manifestation before us. Lots of us have written along side each other for years. Now we will collectively end the year and bring in the new year on a triumphant topical note. I call upon all moderators King Ra Mike Wrecka split 8 Adonis Certain asylum to take part and participate in a league inspired by you: its predecessor.
VETWORK

Razah
12-15-2016, 10:18 PM
Dope mag. I enjoyed reading it, solid shiddit.

I'm all for the shortest possible amount of weeks in the season, keep it short & sweet. Let's see how this week goes though, we shall see.

Legion Of Cocks in my mouth
12-15-2016, 10:29 PM
Dooopppeee

sral
12-16-2016, 04:35 AM
WE IN HERE, CHEA!

Inno
12-16-2016, 06:49 PM
Frank

If I remember correctly I one that in a battle and then defended it
Against Diablo before losing it. Sucker.

Great mag tho

timeless
12-17-2016, 05:13 PM
Dope mag frank

Sign in sraL