PDA

View Full Version : Beat Battle 3 (Official Battle Thread)

uh-oh
07-25-2017, 06:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFLstkm90so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwwmTws8CAQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6KRubLognQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrlyI55ngbc

The Dead Poet
07-25-2017, 06:49 PM
lol at everyone using the same sample from an album...hahha. There was some other good shit on there that I passed on thinking other heads would use it. I'll vote in a bit

boof
07-25-2017, 08:19 PM
1, smooth sample. drums just enough to ride with. sounds like i’m just listening to the original song with light drums. waiting for something to happen but it doesn’t. cool for a song but for a beat battle doesn’t seem like much was done but what do i know

2, knocks harder, punchier drums. the way its arranged is nice. but again i’d like some more drum variation. cool vocal chops at the end.

3, cool ideas. i think they were executed pretty well. transition from part a to part b could’ve been smoother. drums are nice. the other shit coming in lets me know who’s beat this is. also i like the snare roll.

4, nice sample right off the bat. drums are cool. little empty without the sample but just enough. sample back. cool. aight i get the picture

only overall critique is u cats need more interesting drums

all 4 were solid, i think 1 was the only one a little behind. i think 2 had the best mix. i think 3 was the most creative.

i keep cycling 2-4, guess i have to vote whichever one i personally vibe with the most.

goin with 2

uh-oh
07-25-2017, 08:47 PM
i'm stuck between 1 and 2.

1 was simple but effective. i could hear griselda on this. the slow tempo, the underwhelming drums, but the bassline gives this life. its a dope beat.

2 is also dope. the filters were clean, i feel like the drums couldve got busier, like the hats mainly, but the understated snare rolls would be less effective. i dig it.

3 is cool too but my thing is the mix. while the samples filtered and muted for lack of a better word the hats are the same and its just i dunno, when the sample cuts in clean it sounds like this is what it shouldve been the whole time, but i guess it'd get repetitive. its not bad at all though. just not feeling it as much as the first two

4 is boring. the strings sound gross and whoever made it shouldve listened to it with fresh ears and realized this. easily the worst beat of the bunch.

listening to 1 and 2 again i think i have to give it to 2. i want to give it to 1 but 2 is the more complete solid beat. 1's bassline is fire, if the drums were more inspired it would probably take my vote, but again at a tempo that slow its probably best they were so understated, because if they ain't busy it would make it sound MORE empty if that makes sense, with them being understated it diverts more attention to the bass, and melodic properties of the sample.

so really its a tossup to me, i think i enjoy 1 more, but i have to vote for 2, because i almost enjoy it as much, but its also just technically better as a BEAT? this is a shit vote.

also lol at us all using the same sample. i think that answers the question of "what do you look for in a sample" pretty resoundingly. i made something with another of the samples but didn't like it. i also didn't like the one i submitted, so that should go to show how terrible my other one was. but i'll always submit SOMETHING

good job guys

Kin
07-26-2017, 06:03 AM
Maaaan.... everyone ended up using same sample??? Shit...

Those the closest battle so far...

Got it down to either 2 or 3... gonna play a few more timez an hit this wit a vote n' breakdown..

SaluTe to all on this

The Dead Poet
07-27-2017, 12:05 AM
Ok levas.

1 - Why are the drums so far in the back? Bassline is ok. Should be choked out in a few spots where the decay is a little long but it's not that noticeable and i'm playing on surround sound so i'm probably nit picking. This sounds like a Roc Marciano type beat, not sure if that's what you're going for but it's what it felt like. I still think the drums should be a little more to the front though.

2. Sounds clean, Drums are kind of stale. Too much filtering thats coming through on the speakers i'm listening to which are heavy on the low end.

3. This sounds like it could have been really good with just a few slight tweaks. I like the drums. Hat work is cookie cutter but it works. And I like the snare with the clap under it. I like when you have them choking eachother off (NO HOMO) too. It's a nice touch that not a lot of heads take the time to do. I don't like the horns you bring in. And it gets really repetitive fast. In the future for these things a beat shouldn't be longer than 2 mins unless you completely turn it on its head and go a different direction mid beat. Didn't really like the breakdown at the end you attempted just because it really didn't mask the repetitiveness of the two sections you had.

4. Ok well you tried to change it up. I don't like the whistle effect you got going with the sample. When it drops out and you rock the lofi filter section I dug that more. Drums are ok. I dig the roll you have under there. I don't like the pace though. Like it doesn't sound fast enough. Kind of curious on everyones BPM's now that I'm typing this. This shit just ends? lol. I'll be real I wasn't really feeling this.

anyways 1 and 3 were my favs. Both were just ok to me, but both could have been so much better with a few tweaks. 3 was more polished but it was also more repetitive. 1 really needed work on the drums. If you're going to make a beat where the drums aren't at the forefront (a la Roc Marciano, KA, & Willie the Kid) then I think it needs more shit too it. I'm going to go with 1 based on what my personal style bias....3 was probably the most polished out of all these though.

Finnydot
07-27-2017, 04:58 AM
1. idk about this one. it just seems real bland, no real flavor at all.

2. was definitely the most clean. i really liked the drum selection and the filters were perfect.

3. horns were definitely too much. drums get repetitive.

4. did most with the sample. way more sections broken down and the drum patterns on this were flawless. the whistle also killed it. overall this was the most creative of the bunch, even tho the drums were just masking the original. as an overall song, this beat works best for the MC. structure is king, i respect that. when you filtered the sample out for the verses, whatever you added carried the shit perfect.

i'm going with 4.

Cynic
07-27-2017, 11:56 PM
listened to em all a few times

1 - kinda drawn out, definitely could've afforded going a few clicks faster imo. bass was a nice touch but had some clashes with the sample. that response to the flute melody was mixed a little weirdly, found that mad bass-y. drums didn't get in the way of the beat, which isn't bad, but really didn't do anything for you

2 - nothing groundbreaking about filters, but if the shit works it works. fan of it here. felt like it was a clean beat throughout with good placement of the samples. vocal sample at the end was cool but i wasn't feeling the sudden cut to end, felt like there could've been something done in retrospect

3 - def ran long. by the time that break came for the ending i was ready for the whole jawn to end. actually dug the last section but thought it could've come like a minute earlier. nice use of dynamics n shit

4 - dig starting off with this chunk of the sample. gives it that spaghetti-western style feel that carries throughout. sections are well defined and the fade in is nice, but the ending to the sample struck me as abrupt. entirely my opinion but some other sporadic sample during the low key section probably woulda fit well. drum and bass carried it for sure though. not a fan of the abrupt ending but solid up to that point

lookin like we all need endings according to me lol. such a subjective thing, but I just kinda liked 3 the most. def went long but I enjoyed what was going on there just a bit more than the rest. tbh these were some solid beats though. good listen all around

Kin
07-28-2017, 06:14 AM
1 was cool... felt the slower tempo held it back...overall this seemed quiet for some reason. Like how the sample plays out...juz too slow for me

2.. def the cleanest outta the bunch... diggin the drums on this... good builds.. I rock wit this!! .. only thing i didnt like was the vocals at the end..

3..by far the most complex... did a lot wit drums... hi hats sound nice... diggin the chops too... great builds and drops...this is smooth

4..also really good.. my only issue is when the sample drops and comes back in... it feels a lil too empty with just drums for too long..and the sample coulda been smoothed out when it swings back in.. nice ol school sound here tho.. juz feel its a lil thin sounding compared to the others... and you shoulda eqd the highs outta the sample some...

Closest match so far..

Narrowed it down to 2 n' 3..

Although 3 was more in depth... 2 is one I would rock over more...

Vote. 2

uh-oh
07-30-2017, 12:09 PM
UPPIN

get some more votes in, i'd like to close this tomorrow after work to get the next months process started on the 1st (tuesday)

so if anyone reading this wants to vote go ahead lol

uh-oh
07-31-2017, 12:15 PM
UPPIN. when i get home im closing this today

So vote.

Geno
07-31-2017, 01:12 PM
Its 2 and 3 for me.

Felt like 3 had a little more creativity coming through .. But somethvng missing still. Idk it felt forced a little in the switch ups which was really offputing. 2 dope as fuck especially when that wierd voice sounding thing drops. Totally wasnt expecting that. Really smooth and i feel like i could flow forever to that shit and not get tired of it.

Everyone did there thing. 2 and 3 stuck out the most. Honarable mention to 4. Caught myself playing that again. Was clkse with 3. But 2 gets it imo.

Nics work

uh-oh
07-31-2017, 08:16 PM
thanks to everyone who voted

this one is hereby OVER

1-1
2-4
3-1
4-1

mods close this

The Dead Poet
07-31-2017, 08:21 PM
who's who. I know finny is 3. 4 was uhoh which I would have never known but the way you voted tipped that. Who's 1?

kannon
08-01-2017, 11:22 PM
I know this is over already, but...

2 > 3 > 1 > 4

Deluzion
08-02-2017, 01:41 AM
Going with #3

Finnydot
08-02-2017, 07:13 AM
Damn, if only I'd had another week I might have champed twice.