PDA

View Full Version : Long bar vs Short bar

Gunplay
12-29-2017, 07:15 AM
What’s the difference and what do you prefer

I know most GM and LB heads like me are used to the long bars with CAPPED MULTIES and stuff.

I prefer writing in long bar style cause that’s what I’ve been conditioned to write with over the years but when it comes to readability, I’d read and pick a short bar verse over anything else simply because it doesn’t have any overly exaggerated stuff and the bars are to the point.

But still tho I wanna know what the difference is. With an example probably

Amen
12-29-2017, 08:51 AM
Short bar.

Long bar got crammed with basic/mediocre schemes and wack/weak punches.

Short bar if worded precised and harsh has more impact, IMO.

Plus you can throw a scheme on short bar and be 100 times better then a long drawn out long bar.

Ghost1
12-29-2017, 09:07 AM
field with ponds

Orc
12-29-2017, 10:21 AM
See how you posted in like a four line format? Shortbar is one set up one punch

~RustyGunZ~
12-29-2017, 10:31 AM
As a longbar legend I decree all threads like this banished and shortbar to be the universal style of Scrypt

uh-oh
12-29-2017, 11:50 AM
as someone who dislikes text to my core i prefer reading longbar because there is a semblance of flow

short bar is like some spoken word shit that happens to rhyme at the end of winded statements

Destroyer
12-29-2017, 11:57 AM
field with ponds

Aaaaand I’m dead

WRATH
12-29-2017, 03:21 PM
Long bar is like face to face battling short bar is like audio

Problem with long bar is the reader would have to physically act out the pauses for them to make sense, as seen in your battle with anti. Also, a lot of unnecessary filler.

Schadenfreude
12-29-2017, 05:07 PM
field with ponds

Just killed it, close thread.

Diablo
12-29-2017, 06:27 PM
lmao long bar sucks and everyone that ever did it sucks too

Seyance
12-31-2017, 09:06 AM
Naa, there are some good heads that used to write longbar and made the transition successfully. Orc, Bayou and Dominate to name a few.

I think the main problem was writing shortbar or 'normally' mirrored writing actual music and a bar was a bar of music. Where as longbar tried to argue that a bar was pretty much 4 lines glued together. Basically misunderstanding or re-purposing the use of the name 'bar' taking the writing of longbar away from writing music. I think for the majority of us which came up on this(shortbar) side of the internet that always just seemed dumb.

The second issue was the decorations, most longbar was written with clearly defined bolded parts and ridiculous grammatical embellishments pointing out the multi syllabics and wordplay. I always felt the writers thought little of the readers ability on longbar forums, you are writing for dumb people so you dumb it down. But the trap really is it did attract dumber people.

There is seemed to be a clear distinction to me in the types of people which generally frequented each kind of forum. Longbar forum's seemed to be more of a home to people who considered themselves to have a lot in common with the streets and more attempts were made to keep up a reputation of being a real life g. Which is why you see a lot of gunplay in longbar. Where as winning a shortbar battle seems to be really is based off intelligence and the voters are looking to see how creatively you can diss an opponent. Shortbar writers generally expect the voters to notice any multi syllabic, internal rhymes and wordplay without them being clearly earmarked as such.

The types of wordplay used by longbar heads was particular in such that it could be a word broken down and miss-pronounced because the grammatical embellishments made it clear that !!'THIS~IS~WORD~PLAY'!! Forcing the reader into having more of an understanding of what the writer was going for, good or not. But the facts were most of these wordplays would not work if properly said out loud. Which again took longbar further away from the writing of wordplay actual music.

Also longbar forums have always been home to the dumbest fucken wordplay names, shit like Nawn Since and Awe Sum. But one thing about them is though funnily enough, longbar sites generally had more audio heads at a better level and were more active on that side.

Aero
12-31-2017, 09:16 AM
Who ever invented long bar is a terrible person.

Enbombz
12-31-2017, 10:20 AM
Ive never enjoyed reading long bar but it work well live. Long bar done well works over a beat aswell tbh. Short bar in theory would work better on beat but people use too many syllables for that to be the case in general. Short bar text as we know it doesn't really translate to much else.

sral
12-31-2017, 11:15 AM
lmao I've always been predominantly shortbar tbh but I've champed with both

I was terrible at longbar

For Battling
12-31-2017, 11:39 AM
We still typing in here lol how about we make another thread about what sites did you used to post on

WRATH
12-31-2017, 06:09 PM
I was writing long bar on goldmic tbr

BROKE LESNAR
12-31-2017, 07:24 PM
longbar is trash

Objective
01-01-2018, 07:43 PM
I don't think there is a winner over the other. It all comes down to style and how well you can master them both.

I enjoy longbar because it's like a middle ground between a short story and a rap, you can guide the reader along your journey/story with a decent flow as you go with punctuation, great word usage and atmosphere of the writing style. You're also more free to experiment with words and schemes, in shortbar you're a bit more limited but get to the point faster as it's more action packed and aim to wow the reader in quick succession which is dope af when done right. If it isn't done right the whole piece just seems weak with lack of depth. In general I think shortbar is a little bit more flashy but effective while longbar is more thought out and can score you lots of points in one sentence but if the sentence is filler/cringe you'll lose twice as much since you can't really get away with it.

I used to write on CC back in the days.

Amen
01-02-2018, 08:42 AM
I was writing long bar on goldmic tbr

What was your name on GM?

dead man
01-02-2018, 03:04 PM
My long bar text forum name was silla.bull

WRATH
01-02-2018, 03:37 PM
What was your name on GM?

LAST1LEFT. I only battled maybe 5 times and 2 of those were crew battles

Barcotic
01-02-2018, 03:41 PM
i longbar'ed on uf for tiiime

but fuck longbar
shit was wack

Amen
01-02-2018, 04:42 PM
LAST1LEFT. I only battled maybe 5 times and 2 of those were crew battles

Don't recall that name.

WRATH
01-02-2018, 08:54 PM
When I was there it was unquestionably the biggest battling site. They could of held 10 NBL's and then some. Some nigha named Steel was the champ. I thought it was an awesome setup but it wasn't my scene i battled a couple times and took off. Think I went to boxden after that.