PDA

View Full Version : On my Goku about to throw a spirit bomb shit...

Chill Phil
12-30-2018, 05:52 AM
December 31st, I'm venturing out to do a five minute set of stand up comedy. This'll be my third time doing it, but first time trying it out in the Midwest. It'll be downtown, where the college kids hang out...so they're millennials that get offended pretty easy.

Which is why I came here...

Since I'm not trying to send a million PM's...I'm asking for all of your positive energy so I can absorb it and throw it at the crowd.

Hashtag support the kid

Exis
12-30-2018, 06:25 AM
Yo bro just throw out a line to me you'd potentially use...

Like would you say...Why you never hit a nigga on a bike? 'Cause it could be your bike, shit like that?...

WRATH
12-30-2018, 06:34 AM
How long is your set for

Sharp
12-30-2018, 06:37 AM
As a millenial, we're not all this type of snowflake/easily offended on behalf of others bitch. That crowd tends to run in packs though so if you think there's one, there's likely more

But if your skin is darker than theirs, you can get away with more. Hoping that works out for you

I think you'll have some Gen Z there too, they seem worse. If all else fails have a joke ready about how 40+ people love comic sans. That'll bring them back to you

gl and have fun bro

Answer
12-30-2018, 09:23 AM
You live in the dmv area, right? At the end of the day, funny is funny and people will generally react regardless. I moved from doing stuff in Maryland/DC/VA to Mobile, Alabama and really wasn’t sure how different the scene would be, but it’s pretty much the same with regards to content (the only real difference is there’s not NEARLY as many open mics down here)

As far as college kids/millennials I really doubt they’re your issue. Especially if it’s in the Midwest, I imagine they’re the more conservative type and 99% of my experience of seeing someone get offended by any material has been middle aged and older people who probably had no business being at a comedy show to begin with. But you should have enough material to adapt to the crowd. If you’re doing something on the west coast, you’d probably have a more sensitive crowd

Geno
12-30-2018, 10:50 AM
You got this man. Best improv i know

veritas
12-30-2018, 10:58 AM
You got this, Phil. I would love to hear a recording of it. Follow your destiny. Rtf.

Chill Phil
12-30-2018, 02:33 PM
Yo bro just throw out a line to me you'd potentially use...

Like would you say...Why you never hit a nigga on a bike? 'Cause it could be your bike, shit like that?...

Lmaoooo!

I won't be talking about race at all. Just lulling people into some deep state of compassion and then hitting them with an absurd/left field punchline that'll catch them off guard.

I'm gonna open with something to the effect of "my name is phil. A little bit about me...after three long years I finally lost 160 lbs"

If nobody claps or says "woo," I'll prompt them to.

When they're not quite done clapping I'll say "...which is just a really positive way of saying I ended a 3 year relationship with a chubby woman"

And then I roll into some fucked up shit to have a positive spin on. One of which has a disarming speech about loss,

Anyways it's only a 5 minute set. But my routine is solid if there's not some feminist bitch there booing when I call an imaginary ex girlfriend chubby.

Chill Phil
12-30-2018, 03:05 PM
You live in the dmv area, right? At the end of the day, funny is funny and people will generally react regardless. I moved from doing stuff in Maryland/DC/VA to Mobile, Alabama and really wasn’t sure how different the scene would be, but it’s pretty much the same with regards to content (the only real difference is there’s not NEARLY as many open mics down here)

As far as college kids/millennials I really doubt they’re your issue. Especially if it’s in the Midwest, I imagine they’re the more conservative type and 99% of my experience of seeing someone get offended by any material has been middle aged and older people who probably had no business being at a comedy show to begin with. But you should have enough material to adapt to the crowd. If you’re doing something on the west coast, you’d probably have a more sensitive crowd

Been living in the Midwest for a couple of years now. Sure the conservatives are older, but the younger generation is conservative in the sense of forcing political correctness everywhere they go.

uh-oh
12-30-2018, 03:11 PM
as a ridiculous fan of comedy who listens to and consumes too much of it, around 09ish comedians stopped complaining about uptight bible belt conservatives and began complaining about outraged libs and its continued in that direction heavily.

but word thats dope phil. Answer i seen you mentioned doing standup somewhere else too. thats dope. i wish you both luck in your endeavors

you guys watch kill tony at all?

Chill Phil
12-30-2018, 06:38 PM
Kill Tony?

Naah fam

uh-oh
12-30-2018, 10:09 PM
you probably should.

i mean it might mess with your confidence though in the sense the majority of your concepts will seem relatively hacky. like the losing weight/girlfriend concept lol. its basically just an open mic where comics only get 1 minute but then get interviewed by established comics, about their life and set. its solid. but word after seeing hundreds of installments over the past years just watching that you see how much the same shit is said. audiences are dumb.

i think its dope you guys are going up tho. allegedly thats the most important thing. the writing will come

im sure its like text or anything else. before people started texting/battling in general a da feet line was like oh shittt

uh-oh
12-30-2018, 10:15 PM
also im pretty sure josh adam myers posted on PR unless im completely mistaken. him and mercules were boys i think. now he does the god damn comedy jam and does standup all over as a legit comic.

but word im a huge comedy nerd, probably more than anything else anymore. all i do is consume podcasts and standup pretty much. catch on to hilarious people super early that way. its dope watching them grow

people either have it or dont, and your a funny dude badweather. so if you took it as serious as other shit you do you could prolly make it. if its just a hobby situation my bad on nerding out. but also by make it i mean make a living. might not be as lucrative as a welding living tho lol

Big Bolo
12-30-2018, 11:54 PM
Well I bet you don't have a lisp...so you should do great...

Exis
12-31-2018, 03:36 AM
Lol...

A 5 minute set? Quick as, you'll be dope bro...