PDA

View Full Version : WEEK 7 REVIEW.

zygote
09-02-2013, 12:24 AM
WRITING CHALLENGE TOURNAMENT WEEK 7 REVIEW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j89KdXrfroo

General Writers Review.
(1) TYSON: DNC.
(2) Nigma: Didn’t imitate his opponent, but rather wrote about the impossibility of anybody being able to imitate his own style. It was a good choice, the best part was when everything was broken down in a self-aware way. E.g., “Pathetic, they saying that all I do is flow? Yeah, in my writtens it's potent. But that simple shit you quote Is just a ripple in my ocean.” Good personal attacks towards the imagined opponent as well - “You think you're something but you're nothing.. The Placebo Effect”. Also, Nigma has a great chance to become champion, any loss from PB or MW and Nigma can reach the top position. Awarded 2 points.
(3) Innovator: Good imitation captured the so called nerdcore style of Sharp Nine. References to PC game and science fantasy movie. E.g., “Darth Omni the dark anomaly spitting visuals outa wormholes” – it was a critical hit. You gain +15 EXP for rhyme imitation and leveled up! Innovator maybe has an outside chance here. Awarded 2 points.
(4) Adonis: Created a short submission as a sign of respect for his often no-showed opponent. Good ethics displayed. Awarded 1 point. Voluntarily signed out.
(5) NYCSPITZ: DNC.
(6) Storyteller: DNC.
(7) Objective: DNC.
(8) Pent uP: DNC. Is signed back in for this week.
(9) oats: DNC.
(10) Boredom: No showed. Signed out. Awarded 0 points.
(11) Figurative: DNC.
(12) The Artful Salopian: Had 6 lines but no-showed. My guess is France or Holland. Possibly should have just submitted the 6 lines anyway. Awarded 0 points. Is signed back in for this week.
(13)Coup: DNC.
(14) nO gOod!: DNC.
(15) PancakeBrah: The satire/attack was very well done, much better than a try-to-be-as-accurate-as-possible approach. It was a risky kind of submission though. It had potential to be misunderstood and easily criticizable. Perhaps the short ‘scouting report’ part at the start was essential for framing it. I think without this short section it would have been much less well perceived. Good pragmatic choice to include this additional part. Awarded 2 points.
(16) deadman: DNC.
(17) MikeWrecka: Managed to go through again with a strong submission. It was noticeably different from his usual style. There were less joining words and coherence and more vocabulary heavy turn of phrase (indicative of Aesthetics style). Almost a satire more than an imitation in parts. It was very enjoyable to read. Overall, another good effort. Awarded 2 points.
(18) Rawn M.D.: DNC.
(19) Plot: Another good twist on the specific task. Wrote in his own style about the opponents style, it was a good attempt but didn’t resonate well with the voters. Personally, thought it was underrated submission actually. Perhaps, it could have been good to have a small introduction better explaining it somehow? I enjoyed the last line especially, but maybe something like this as well as at the start would have gone a long way. Awarded 1 point.
(20) Mr. J: Provides a good effort on a consistent basis. Shortened his line lengths to match his opponent style. Didn’t stray too far from the source material provided and it helped to focus the submission. A straightforward approach and good execution of the topic in a week where most competitors could not do the same. Awarded 2 points.
(21) Cereal Killa: DNC.
(22) TopicalDood5: DNC.
(23) Gazette: DNC.
(24) Certain Serpent: The most technically prefect imitation from the entire round, the accuracy displayed was surly his intension. Weather it be careful grammars or, spelling Certain Serpent insures key details are correct. Accept for a few uninspiring lines, the rest of the submission was crafted to illicit a great response. It can stand as a lessen to all competitors. The morale of the story is; good editing, stylistic care and attention to detail improves your writing. Awarded 2 points.
(25) Just Write: DNC.
(26) Rayge: DNC.
(27) Xnub: DNC.
(28) Split Eight: DNC.
(29) Brian Bryan: DNC.
(30) VERITAS: DNC.
(31) Witty: DNC.
(32) Atheist: DNC.
(33) patrown: DNC.
(34) Pinot Grij: Won via no-show with a very short submission. Here it is in its entirety; “floppity flop
rappity rap guy choppity chop jump around party style.” There is no doubt this is Pinot Grij’s magnum opus, a piece de resistance, a tour de force. Awarded 2 points. Voluntarily signed out.
(35) Shogun Dinero: DNC.
(36) Word: DNC.
(37) PiE: Beginning to think that PiE is the alias for ZeeDee. If not then they are clones/twins/see the same therapist. No showed by way of formal protest. Signed out. Awarded 0 points.
(38) DwnLd: DNC.
(39) Red glare: DNC.
(40) DeadLion: DNC.
(41) Defy Gravity: Provided an imitation of an imitation. Don’t know if this was because Defy Gravity is a new user or it was intentional. Giving Defy Gravity the benefit of the doubt, let’s assume that it was intentional plan. It’s disappointing that the only 1v1 contest with two serious submissions was easily the most engaging contest of the week. PancakeBrah created that very aggressive imitation quickly, it could have been easy for Defy Gravity to be drawn into this, but Defy Gravity managed to stay objective and collected. Awarded 1 point.
(42) Sharp Nine: No showed. Signed out. Awarded 0 points.
(43) Pryde: No showed. Signed out. Awarded 0 points.
(44) Aesthetic: Good effort my Masonic friend. It’s pretty telling that out of the 3 way contest all 3 submissions were very similar. I think all 3 of you competitors have similar styles anyway. Voters enjoyed your poetic style and turn of phrase, however they felt the rhyme scheme elements were underdeveloped in this instance. Awarded 1 point.
(45) Formal Logic: No showed. Signed out. Awarded 0 points.
New Competitors
(46) Lost in Thought: STRENGTH – familiar with LiT from a different now defunct website. I remember LiT having a great understanding of multiple rhymes and an upstanding reputation for creating a memorable turn of phrase. WEAKNESS – Only can remember one or two non-insult based writings by LiT. The topics were generally about romance/drama (Specifically one was about infidelity?). PREDICTION – Glad to see you competing, surely you will do well.

Points record.
NAME: (POINTS) – Win/Loss/Draw/No Show.
TYSON: (0.0) – 0/0/0/2
Nigma: (11.0) – 5/1/0/0.
Innovator: (9.0) – 3/3/0/0.
Adonis: (8.0) – 2/4/0/0.
NYCSPITZ: (0.0) – 0/0/0/3.
Storyteller: (5.0) – 1/3/0/0.
Objective: (7.0) 2/3/0/0.
Pent uP: (9.0) 4/1/0/0.
oats: (4.0) – 2/0/0/0.
Boredom: (7.0) – 3/1/0/2.
Figurative: (1.0) – 0/1/0/1.
The Artful Salopian: (8.0) – 3/2/0/1.
Coup: (3.5) – 1/0/1/1.
nO gOod!: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
PancakeBrah: (11.5) – 5/0/1/0.
deadman: (2.0) – 1/0/0/2.
MikeWrecka: (12.0) – 6/0/0/0.
Rawn M.D.: (4.0) – 1/2/0/1.
Plot: (6.0) – 2/2/0/1.
Mr. J: (8.0) – 3/2/0/1.
Cereal Killa: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
TopicalDood5: (3.0) – 1/1/0/1.
Gazette: (1.0) – 0/1/0/1.
Certain Serpent: (10.0) – 4/2/0/0.
Just Write: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
Rayge: (0.0) – 0/0/0/2.
Xnub: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
Split Eight: (2.0) – 1/0/0/2.
Brian Bryan: (6.0) – 3/0/0/0.
VERITAS: (6.5) – 2/2/0/0.
Witty: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
Atheist: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
patrown: (3.0) – 1/1/0/2.
Pinot Grij: (7.0) – 3/1/0/0.
Shogun Dinero: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
Word: (1.5) – 0/1/0/1.
PiE: (3.0) – 1/1/0/1.
DwnLd: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
Read Glare: (1.0) – 0/1/0/1.
DeadLion: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
Defy Gravity: (3.0) – 1/`/0/1.
Sharp Nine: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
Pryde: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
Aesthetic: (1.0) – 0/1/0/0.
Formal Logic: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
Lost in Thought: N/A.

Memo week 7.
Greetings competitors, we reach the penultimate week of competition. CONTINUOUS TASK WEEK, this week’s tasks will be familiar for many individuals; it’s essentially a phrase topic. Tasks were designed in a continuous format but competitors are not required to collaborate either in intra/inter contests. The task phrases themselves are clear and continuous but also ambiguous, you can respond holistically or directly to specific parts. Find below your match-ups and specific tasks.

Specific contests and tasks.
(24 v 41) Certain Serpent v Defy Gravity. TASK: How long have you been here? Why did you come here?
(2 v 8) Nigma v Pent uP. TASK: Who are they who came with you? Why is your vehicle damaged?
(44 v 20) Aesthetic v Mr. J. TASK: What are you looking for? What did you just notice?
(3 v 10) Innovator v Plot. TASK: What do you offer? Why do you hate us?
(15 v 17) PancakeBrah v MikeWrecka. TASK: When will you leave? Why are you doing that?
(46 v 12) Lost in Thought v The Artful Salopian. TASK: What are your customs? When will you stop?

General Information and FAQ.
How many weeks will the tournament go for?
There will be 8 weeks of standard competition, and a special 9nth week tiebreaker week only in the event of tied rankings.
How are rankings and record calculated?
All wins are awarded 2 points. A loss is awarded 1 point. If you “No show” you are awarded 0 points. Tied matches at the end of the voting period are awarded 1.5 points each.
Tied matches at the end of the voting period?
Voting periods will not be extended beyond the deadline, tied outcomes are O.K. Submissions due Wednesday 23:59 PST. Ext due Thursday 23:59 PST. Voting due Sunday 11:59 PST. Weekly Memo uploaded Sunday subject to schedule.
What are the voting regulations?
Standard 3 required votes any less than 3 results in a vote deduction from your contest.
What are the voting guidelines?
Long paragraphs etc are not required, any justification of your vote is sufficient, it can be simple, as long as it is not arbitrary or unexplained. Voting based on your own subjective opinion, basically how much you enjoyed either, there is no requirement for you to vote based on writings compliance to the task. I can’t speak for all voters, but you will never have a submission DQ’d for ‘not conforming’ to the topic.
What will get me banished from the tournament?
Plagiarism (including self-plagiarism of old material), double accounts, editing your submission after your opponent has also submitted or voting has commenced, any unnecessary comments creating bias for your contest.
What are the deadlines for writing?
Weekly Magazines containing the Weekly Memo (general theme) will be released, along with the specific pages containing your writing task instructions (specific tasks). Then you will have 3 days standard +1 day if required extension period to complete your writing. Voting can begin whenever the contests both have writing submissions, and will stay open for votes until the next Weekly Memo. The scheduled process should not take more than 7 days.
What should I write?
Whatever you want, the aim of the writing challenge tasks is to stimulate not restrict. There are no min or max line limits.
How are contest competitors chosen?
On sign up each competitor will be given a number. Using random.org 2 numbers are paired with each other. Match ups are always randomized rather than based on any system of high-ranking vs high-ranking etc.
What if there is an odd number of competitors for a round?
In the event of an odd number of competitors, there will be a 1v1v1 contest with all standard rules applying.
What are the sign in regulations?
Signing in is open to all for all rounds, 2 required votes for sign in to be effective after week 1 sign ins. If you no-show you are signed-out and must sign-back in to receive a matchup.
No-show repairing?
There will be no no-show repairing’s, as consideration of your effort if you are no-showed there will be an additional length review of your writing in the following memo.
Are multimedia aids allowed?
Yes. You can use pictures, videos, soundbytes, and other multimedia to aid your weekly submissions.
What does the number beside my username mean?
They don’t mean anything, they are not rankings. They are just your original sign-in number used for random assignment to tasks and contests. Note, the competitors are assigned randomly to tasks, not the other way around, so all task allocation is randomized as well.
Will there be a champion?
Yes, at the end of the 8 weeks (or if needed 9 weeks) league the highest points will be given the title of champion of writing tournament. You will receive if you wish the text underneath your user name stating “Challenge League Champion.”

Closing Weekly Comment.
Getting there, nearing the end, there are some clear competitors emerging for serious contention. Others a little further back from the top positions are still enjoying participation and have some chances still for the top position. Next week will be a special challenge with special points, and there will also be additional content in the potentially final review. The decent amount of voting is also much appreciated. Good luck to all competitors for completing your submissions.

Aesthetic
09-02-2013, 01:23 AM
Man im fucking pissed; I needa get off my ass and fuckin vote.

Sorry guys, next time I sign in ill break every bar down.

Certain
09-02-2013, 01:37 AM
So, the possible championship contenders with two weeks left:

1. Mike Wrecka (12.0)
2. PancakeBrah (11.5)
3. Nigma (11.0)

I'm out because Mike and Cake face this week, ensuring one will reach at least 13.5 points this week (which would then become 14.5 with even a one-line submission in Week 8). Nigma would need Cake to win this week then lose next week, which is possible, in order to win outright, though if Mike wins this week and loses next week, Nigma and he could be tied.

Seriously, though, I should have beaten Rawn M.D., guys. I'm not one to bitch, and I agree with Mike beating me. But I read that Rawn battle like 20 times. Alas, that's why we can't vote on our own battles.

Plot
09-02-2013, 02:45 AM
Phrases, so am I supposed to take my task and just google commonly used phrases with the words in them, and then construct a rhyme? its a bit ambiguous

Certain
09-02-2013, 02:51 AM
Phrases, so am I supposed to take my task and just google commonly used phrases with the words in them, and then construct a rhyme? its a bit ambiguous

Think of it as the same type of topic you'd get in a traditional topical league. Do whatever you want with the phrases.

I think this is probably the most open and easiest challenge yet.

PancakeBrah
09-02-2013, 09:32 PM
Zygote you're the best on the site in terms of running a league/tourney. Props.