View Full Version : AOWL Preseason Mag

Mike Wrecka
09-19-2013, 10:45 PM
http://i.imgur.com/uAJesXX.png
Season 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nendMLrpI-s
click it.

Welcome to Season 2 of the AOWL

We have an amazing list of competitors signed up. Champions from various different sites and leagues. Some of the most highly regarded topical writers to ever do this are here. And so are you. This is a proving ground. Beat some of the top heads and you can make a real name for yourself. Text isn't dead. Its alive and thriving in the AOWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lets take a look at the competitors - by Mike Wrecka

Innovator - always a solid competitor. Inno shows up every week and brings a good verse to the table. Needs some signature wins against top notch competition to really make his mark. Very good voter.

Rawn MD - the man, the myth, the legend, the Rawnald! All jokes aside Rawn is a seasoned topical competitor and has had alot of success in the past. This guy is a force and can beat anyone on any given week.

Genocide - Everyone in this league should fear this dude when he is in beast mode. He done champed plenty of topical leagues. His multis are unmatched and so is his flow. I have a strong feeling that he is pissed off for the lack of recognition lately. Its like you take a league off and they forget, well Geno gonna make them remember.

dead man - my favorite writer. And when i say my favorite writer I dont mean that he is my favorite writer in this tournament. I mean he is the best writer that ive read on the internet. Ever. Doesn't do much storytelling but his flawless mechanics take the reader on a riveting whirlwind of a voyage through a beautiful landscape of perfectly placed nouns, verbs and adjectives. The defending champion. Winning twice in a row would be an incredible feat.

namesake - dont know much about him except that he dislikes Allen Knight. Seems to do reg battles and topicals. Could be a wild card.

Vulgar - the Czar of Bizarre bars. Widely regarded as one of the best topicalists to ever do it. Often uses an unconventional flow that catches readers off guard. Vulgar sees things in a different way than most people so his take on topics can be fascinating. This guy can also get real political if he wants. Probably your favorite topicalist's favorite topicalist.

Nigma - competes every week. Ive never seen him sign out of a league. He piles up wins while people are taking weeks off. He will be in the playoffs. Nig has beaten some elite talent but is underrated by most. His writing style tends to pack alot of repeating rhymes in each line. Creative takes on topics.

Frank - Frank is as top tier as they come. But sometimes he resorts to amateur tactics in his quest for victory. Still he is a talented individual that has beat everyone there is to beat. This guy brought two usernames (himself and an unknown alias) to the semi finals of this league last season. Thats impressive. He combines an aggressive flow with humorous and insightful writing. A force to be reckoned with.

Certain - Certain emerged onto the Netcees scene out of seemingly no where and performed very well in the WCL. truth is he is a seasoned vet coming back off a hiatus. After a few early losses in the WCL, he went five weeks straight without a vote being cast against him. Not quite considered top tier yet but looks poised to make a push to get there. I'm interested if he could hang with some of the heavy weights in this league

Witty - the Tibetan fox has champed numerous leagues and many different sites. his catch phrase is, but I'm better than you and he backs it up more times than not. he made a nice run in the playoffs of this league last season. aside from that though, he hasnt made his mark on Netcees 2.0 like he has on other sites. that will change soon.

Zenland - the Zenmaster returns! He was a big part of AOWL Season 1 and hasnt been seen round these parts since. Word on the street is that he was off being a hippie all summer dabbling in psychedelics and banging out flower power chicks all messed up on whippets and peyote. He is admittedly a little rusty but i dont anticipate that lasting long. Good writer. This guy will surprise some people especially if he gets a little more creative with his approach to topics.

NYCSPITZ - all the top heads say this guy is nice as fuck with it. ive read a few of his Open Mic pieces and have definitely been impressed. sick sick sick flow. has a penchant for no showing leagues and tournys but if he participates he's gonna fuck some people up for sure. good to have you aboard.

UNFUKWITABLE - i know nothing of unfukwitable tbh. dont think ive read anything from him. which is cool. he is that mysterious guy that every league needs. we dont know what to expect. He is quite confident though so his week 1 opponent shouldnt sleep.

vividlyvague - vivid is new to Netcees. I read an OM piece from him, liked what I saw and invited him to join the AOWL. he had a style similar to dull boy if i remember correctly. ive seen him say he is a rookie of sorts. well no better place to learn the ropes than the best topical league on the net. welcome and enjoy.

by Certain

Mike Wrecka - It's a lot easier winning topical leagues when you moderate them, so Mike Wrecka is a contender here as he comes off championing the Writing Challenge League. Wrecka is neither the most polished nor the most potent, but he batters away with remarkable consistency. He consistently comes up with brilliant approaches to topics, which gives him a leg up in the content category even when he gets out written. But on top of that, his narratives are focused and his flow is smooth. And he's a great voter.

Aesthetic - This dude came in and immediately started talking shit before establishing credentials, which is a bad move. He thinks he's a lot better than he is, but he's not bad. He doesn't have the talent to compete for a league title, but he should learn a lot from being in this league, and he does seem like the type who will be a dedicated member for as long as he sticks around.

nO gOoD! - He wrote his name like a 2001 newbie, but nO gOoD! is an experienced writer who works out of Afghanistan as part of the U.S. military. His style is very straightforward, but he has shown a knack for content and knows how to make his simplicity work for him. He may not be a title contender in this league because he'll struggle against the most advanced writers, but he should be able to beat anyone when he comes up with the right approaches.

YDK - He's talked a bunch about returning to writing, and I think the rust has shown in what I've read from him. But his raw style definitely could appeal to voters if he keeps his subjects emotional, where that rawness works best. He'll probably need to smooth out his mechanics in order to reach a high tier, but YDK certainly is not one to overlook.

Plot - Though his name suggests story telling, Plot has mostly posted topical verses since joining this board. He lacks the conceptual creativity and depth of writing tricks to join the top tier, but his verses have been consistently good. He's the type who could really surge if he puts it all together during the run of this league.

Fig - The 17-Year-Old Formerly Known As Figurative is fun and funny on the discussion boards, and it seems to translate well to his writing. His mechanics need a lot of work, but he has the ability to come up with a funny take on a topic that might translate well to voting when he's facing a serious verse. He also shows a lot of involvement here, so hopefully no-shows won't be an issue.

Mr. J - A man of few words, Mr. J tends to jot down short raps that often fly a little off-topic. He'll probably thrive in the photo rounds, partially for this reason. In general, he seems to lack the focus required to compete at a high level in these leagues, but he also seems unfazed by that, which is a good attribute. He definitely can wow you with a couplet or two, and if he starts taking this seriously, he may be a real contender.

Adonis- Though he's constantly talking about how good he was, Adonis is a strong writer now, too. He tends to write himself out of battles too often with strange and overly complex takes on topics. But when he strips down, his poetic style stands out. If he lands a topic that inspires him, Adonis can beat anyone in this league. But he will be one of the less consistent entrants.

OK so there you have it people. an amazing lineup that will only get stronger as the weeks go by. I know there are alot of vets lurking in the shadows ready to pounce on this league in Week 2 after scoping out the competition.

Battles will be posted on Monday. We will have picture topics this week. I will say this, if you dont bring it in this league, you are going to get destroyed. survival of the fittest begins now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIq4UTgqDAc

Predictions -

Nigma will get no showed every week until he loses round one of the playoffs

Frank will be an never ending source of drama, what a diva

Vulgar will write about medusa and minotaurs in a labyrinth , and win

NYCSPITZ will never post in this forum again

An ATR member will champ continuing the glorious reign of excellence

Fig will have continue to have sex with trees because the rough bark feels good on his uncircumcised penis

ok interview Q & A by nO gOoD! with Pancakebrah

ng- So for those of us that don't know you well, how long u been around the boards? And why pancakebrah? Any secret behind the name?

PB - I've been on netcees for just over a year. I joined during the last SC. PancakeBrah was my username on bodybuilding.com's misc board. There are a bunch of tongue-in-cheek usernames that end in Brah there and I like pancakes. Thus a beautiful marriage was born and I haven't looked back since

ng - You have a unique writing style, how long u been writing?

PB - I used to do text back in high school on a no name site and GameFAQ's Rap message board. In academics English and Creative Writing have always been my strong points, the subjects that came naturally. And then I got to netcees on a nostalgia trip and gained some influences from different writers here and meshed it with my normal writing voice. But I suppose the real answer to question is that I've been writing since I was 8. I was born retarded.

ng - ok cake.. Tell us, anyone a prob for u this season? A "cake" walk for you brah?

PB - I'm not signed in for Week 1, so an undefeated season is out of the question. I'll probably sign in Week 2 or 3 depending on my schedule. To be conceited, when I have time to write and give a full effort I don't see many people who can out write me. Black and Vulgar are the only names that come to mind who I think will actively participate. But Vulgar is a crazy person who believes anything so I'm not worried. But I'm sure my own laziness and procrastination will do me in at some point. Plus the site has enough dope writers that people can surprise you. It'll be a good season, for sure.

ng- Nice man... So tell us, what triggers that inner voice of yours.. Any trade secrets to share? Any mentors you found helpful to attaining your current level of writing?

PB - I wouldn't say any legitimate mentors. It's hard to talk about your writing voice and not come off as pretentious. I have influences, on this site and off. Black, dullboy/bwhaha/whatever, CopyPat, Vulgar, etc. I guess a good writing voice comes from confidence and experience. Not just experience in terms of writing but life experience, a perspective and opinion on how life works and why things happen.

ng - That's awesome man.. How about musical influences and inspiration. Any particular artists or things that trigger that need to rhyme the fuck outta things?

PB - Action Bronson, The Antlers, Joanna Newsom, Vampire Weekend, Death Grips, and Grizzly Bear. When I was younger it was more rap-centric. Huge fan of OutKast, good music to write to. Nas, too. But I'm in an indie rock/acoustic phase and I write emo bullshit a lot so it works.

ng - That's insightful dude.... Ok off topic.

Pepsi or coke?

PB - Haha I haven't had a soda in 3 years. Back when I drank it I preferred coke. Pepsi's just a bit too sweet and there's something 'Murrican about that cherry red can.

ng -I coulda swore u were gonna opt for neither and suggest a protien shake... I've noticed people here hit you up for fitness advice brah, you lift a lot?

PB - I've been slacking pretty bad lately due to a new job and the semester starting again. But I went every other day for 3 years pretty solid. Put up decent numbers, plan on getting back into once I'm over this sickness. It's a great hobby, I highly recommend it.

ng - I would too cakebrah, I've been lifting weights since I was a kid. Dad made me a deal 100 bucks for 100 pushups. 99 pushups were worth nothing. So I never looked back and I hit 180 at 15 yrs old.

Now, any words of advice for people lookin to improve their writing?

PB - Read a lot. Find a confident voice. Look for unique angles. I've always thought Jonathan Franzen's tips for writing were great;

1. The reader is a friend, not an adversary, not a spectator.
2. Fiction that isn't an author's personal adventure into the frightening or the unknown isn't worth writing for anything but money.
3. Never use the word "then" as a conjunction when we have "and" for this purpose. Substituting "then" is the lazy or tone-deaf writer's non-solution to the problem of too many "ands" on the page.
4. Write in the third person unless a really distinctive first-person voice offers itself irresistibly.
5. When information becomes free and universally accessible, voluminous research for a novel is devalued along with it.
6. The most purely autobiographical fiction requires pure invention. Nobody ever wrote a more autobiographical story than "The Metamorphosis".
7. You see more sitting still than chasing after.
8. It's doubtful that anyone with an internet connection at his workplace is writing good fiction
9. Interesting verbs are seldom very interesting.
10. You have to love before you can be relentless.

ng - Wow.. Very dope. My friend, its been an absolute pleasure shootin the breeze with you for the mag. Or should I say "piece of cake"

Peace brah

PB - Word. Good interview.

Ok fucktards there it is. Enjoy digesting this shit. Battles to be posted Monday. pz.

Geno
09-19-2013, 10:59 PM
Good pre mag. Props @ you guys.
Gonna be an ill season. Let's Get It!!!

Zen
09-19-2013, 11:03 PM
Dabbling in psychedelics is an understatement lol. Dope mag though guys props. Hmu next week of you need any help.

Geno
09-19-2013, 11:13 PM
P.s.

Sorry bout the interview @no good
Was taking to long and I had something to do lol. Good work with cakes, his is way better than mine would have been. Srs

PancakeBrah
09-19-2013, 11:19 PM
Dope mag.

Certain
09-19-2013, 11:44 PM
PancakeBrah: Pink slip, 230 lines on the difference between bra straps and Arab straps, due in 35 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG1VVFfOnYQ

Adonis
09-19-2013, 11:53 PM
I would like to point out I've never mentioned how good I was Mike Wrecka

In fact the quite opposite. My record @ PR is something like 12-25 so why would I say I'm good. I simply say I've been around which is most true. Never brag cuz I have nothing to brag about beside beating Mahatma and almost beating SacriFice in the playoffs.

Apprecite the effort though bruhv. Keep hating on the kid: TO ALL

Fig
09-19-2013, 11:57 PM
This mag has inspired me to give up my tree fucking ways

thank you and good night

Mike Wrecka
09-19-2013, 11:57 PM
I would like to point out I've never mentioned how good I was Mike Wrecka

In fact the quite opposite. My record @ PR is something like 12-25 so why would I say I'm good. I simply say I've been around which is most true. Never brag cuz I have nothing to brag about beside beating Mahatma and almost beating SacriFice in the playoffs.

Apprecite the effort though bruhv. Keep hating on the kid: TO ALL

Certain did your profile. he did about the bottom half it is marked, i wrote " by Certain."

and you can brag about beating me, i am a champion

Certain
09-19-2013, 11:58 PM
Where's Pinot Grij?

Adonis
09-20-2013, 12:07 AM
Certain did your profile. he did about the bottom half it is marked, i wrote " by Certain."

and you can brag about beating me, i am a champion

Sorry brother, there is nobody on this site in mahatmas class in his prime. And sacrifice holds the all time win % record.

Something like 30-6 over a 6 year span including 2 titles and 3 apparences.

I'm currently recruiting him to entertain us here per Deadman request, have been unsuccesful in contact though.

Certain
09-20-2013, 12:09 AM
All-time winning percentage record where? That's definitely not the best record of anyone in an elite topical league.

Fig
09-20-2013, 12:35 AM
I only had 2 matches in last season of the AOWL

and I beat cake in one of them :)

im stoked for more competition this time around

Vulgar
09-20-2013, 12:36 AM
Nice mag..

Aesthetic
09-20-2013, 01:02 AM
Fuck you nigga im always talking about how shit of an textcee I am in comparison to all the competition look at my fucking score lol I know I suck I jsut like clowning you insecure ass niggas cause it gives me a cooked ass smile.

Dope mag by the way

amped as fuck

Dove Dozer
09-20-2013, 03:59 AM
Nice way of politely saying I suck @ my lil breakdown lol

Geno
09-20-2013, 07:31 AM
Now, I hate you Adonis

Dove Dozer
09-20-2013, 07:58 AM
Dope mag mike

dead man
09-20-2013, 10:37 AM
"It's doubtful that anyone with an internet connection at his workplace is writing good fiction"

yes.

Certain
09-20-2013, 11:38 AM
Nice way of politely saying I suck @ my lil breakdown lol

That's what you got from that?

Ghost1
09-20-2013, 12:39 PM
I see u bros still clinging onto the art of writing name from when u thought ud all be relevant and take over netcees. Well thats neat.

Hey adonis <333

PancakeBrah
09-20-2013, 12:46 PM
Bags shut your face fat boy

Mike Wrecka
09-20-2013, 01:16 PM
I see u bros still clinging onto the art of writing name from when u thought ud all be relevant and take over netcees. Well thats neat.

Hey adonis <333

Bags we are relevant and we have taken over netcees. duh dude

Dove Dozer
09-20-2013, 02:13 PM
That's what you got from that?

Maybe I read it wrong. No big deal.

Objective
09-24-2013, 03:40 AM
Dopeness, if you should need my help with future mags feel free to holla' at me Mike Wrecka.

Pinot Grij
09-25-2013, 06:16 PM
Looks like some dope comp. Lookin forward to joining you assholes... Nice mag also

King Ra.
09-28-2013, 06:57 PM
Salute.

Ghost1
09-28-2013, 07:01 PM
LOL who revived this faggit from the dead^^^^

King Ra.
09-28-2013, 07:05 PM
I missed you too, Bags. <3

Rawn MD
09-28-2013, 07:11 PM
Sup keith

King Ra.
09-28-2013, 07:17 PM
Rawn MacGod, sup man.

Rawn MD
09-28-2013, 07:29 PM
Workin mayn u

King Ra.
09-28-2013, 07:33 PM
Been working and running around. South Florida livin'.

Rawn MD
09-28-2013, 07:45 PM
U already kno

Mike Wrecka
09-28-2013, 08:29 PM
Been working and running around. South Florida livin'.

Adonis
09-28-2013, 11:44 PM

Go read admin lounge suggestions and PM or post thoughts there
King Ra. you too. post concepts for topics in upcoming weeks in mod lounge

Glad your heart is still pumpin, hope ryan tanehill sucks and mike wallace breaks his vertebre and retires wealthy along with wake due to injury and overpriced contracts... wheeler da god tho

Adonis
09-28-2013, 11:48 PM

Hey adonis <333

I reside in the RHYME youngin

When our tourney (our meaning PR) kicks off, you can find me over yonder.

Big ass forehead fornicating ass muhfucka

Split
09-28-2013, 11:50 PM
Bags? More like dirt bags am i rite???

patrown
09-29-2013, 02:41 AM
thats wudup