PDA

View Full Version : AOWL Magazine - First Edition

Mike Wrecka
10-01-2013, 11:25 PM
http://i.imgur.com/uAJesXX.png
Season 2

First Edition Magazine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiQoVv0FSKQ

OK people WEEK 1 was an incredibly impressive display of what makes this league work so well. dope verses and strong voter turn out. most battles had ten votes, try getting that much feed in the OM. We had some no shows, as any league will in its first week but we have some real talent that has signed up and is ready to kick some ass in Week 2. I want give a shout out to Certain who is busting his ass and doing most of the heavy lifting for the league. Can't thank that guy enough. Big up to Pancakebrah, the topical admin of the site. He green lighted this league and is doing a lot of stuff behind the scenes to help us grow and prosper. Unfortunately Dove Dozer is no longer a mod, he was let go due to creative differences. He is a good friend, a great guy and an awesome writer. lets hope he signs back in. Props to Zenland on the previews of Week 2 match ups. OK lets look at some FACTS about the league you are participating in

- at one point the other day the AOWL had 25 people viewing this forum. in this day and age that's a lot for a league.
- at this current moment in time, this is the most active text league anywhere on the internet.

so ya text isn't dead, its alive and thriving in the AOWL!!!!!!

lets take a look at some of the no show matches from last week and give them some love

No-Show Shine
By Certain

As our way of ensuring everyone receives feedback, this section of the magazine will break down every full verse that was no-showed each week. The no-show verses will be ranked from best to worst. (My own verse was not included.)

1. NYCSPITZ (no-show victory vs. Nigma)
NYCSPITZ went with a very direct approach to his topic, more or less describing the photo while fleshing out some details about the kneeling angel and the woman hugging him. He interspersed a lot of deep references, most of which made sense (Ozymandias was a person, not a place, but whatever), but they didn't really help deliver a more full picture and instead seemed more built to show knowledge. I'm not a big fan of that type of showy writing, but NYCSPITZ did it well and mixed in more common vernacular to lighten things and bring it back to reality. The juxtaposition was appreciated and reminscent of Canibus at his best. This was a good verse.

2. Dove Dozer (no-show victory vs. Plot)
Dove Dozer (formerly nO gOoD!) took a straightforward approach to his topic with a simple but effective story. He started with some nice rhyming as he described the life of a service dog, opting for vague descriptions. Some worked, others didn't. Then he switched to a brief explanation of how the man was blinded. The final stanza incorporated the photo, in which the dog decides to intentionally kill the man by running out in front of a bus. The stanzas felt disconnected, though, and the motive was unclear aside from "Hey, he treats me like a dog." There wasn't much going on in this verse, but it was a clearly told story, which many struggle with.

3. Aesthetic (no-show victory vs. Fig)
This was a very strange attempt at abstraction. The wording and rhyming were all over the place, and the content was rather unclear. Rhymes were forced at times and off at others. Aesthetic has some upside but would be wise to work on clarity. Before you can go abstract, you have to master writing concrete stories.

Week 2

In WEEK 2 the topics will be quotes. It is fall and we all know fall marks the beginning of two things, the AOWL Season 2 and ofcourse, FOOTBALL! So in that spirit all the quotes this week will be from either football players or coaches. NFL! Now keep in mind these quotes will be fully open to interpretation, they will be applicable and helpful to any part of life so put whatever spin on it you see fit. Be creative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMjmwlwNG0I

Matchups - written by Zenland

King Ra. vs. PancakeBrah
Or as I prefer to call it, Ra vs. Brah. This is both of the competitors first week in the competition and undoubtedly knock some heads if they take it seriously. King ran the last season of the AOWL which was highly successful and then he vanished (just like me and a few other guys). But I hear he's busy with work and shit so I'm wondering if he'll be able to bring his A game because he'll need it going against Cake. Cake's record last season was no show after no show so right now I'm questioning whether he will show or not. If he does then he will definitely be tough to beat. Right now I'm unsure if either of them will show, if they do it has the potential for BOTW.

***Frank vs. Mike Wrecka*** BOTW
Frank tha Tank is one of my favorite writers on this site and any other one. Regardless if you hate his drama or "diva" status as I've heard some people put it, the man is dope. And if you don't believe it he will make you pay. After getting a no show victory over Genocide last week he looks to continue his winning streak this week. One of my picks to champ this league. Wait speaking of champs...The champ is here!! Mike Wrecka champed the WCL pretty decisively and is looking like he is going to be a major threat in this league once again. As I'm typing this his week 1 battle with Mr. J still hasn't been decided. So with a week 1 battle this close, Mike will look to redeem himself with a decisive victory over a top competitor. Do not sleep on this.

Certain vs. Rawn MD
Certain is a guy who came onto the site after I went on my spiritual drug induced journey, and apparently the man's got skills and from what I've read from him he's made me a believer. Although Witty no showed him last week he still dropped an A caliber verse (I'll drop feed later btw), but this week he will not be no showed because he will face Rawn MD a.k.a. the man who beat me and will fall to my superior writing at a later point in the season lol. On the real, this is a battle of two guys who are 1-0 who want to go on and become 2-0. I expect if both of these guys remain active they will both make into the playoffs. This will be a good 'un folks.

Adonis vs. Fig
Adonis is a fucking beast plain and simple, but he'll have to prove it this week. While voters were impressed with his performance last week (my personal VOTW), he still ended up coming up short to Vulgar. If he wants to prove himself, this is the week to do it against Fig. Fig no showed against Aesthetic because of Aesthetic's known topical prowess. He simply knew he would be manhandled by the viciousness of The Mason....Jk. Life fucked his shit up and he had to no show. It happens but he'll hope to make a splash this week against his opponent. This is the battle for redemption.

Mr. J vs. breathless
I'm gonna go ahead and say it now, J is the dark horse of this season. He will be in the playoffs if he stays active and will upset allot of folks. This motherfucker is the Giants that beat the Patriots twice. This man is Buster Douglas. This man is...Well you get the point. He will fuck shit up. As for breathless, he is breathtaking...I hope. I honestly don't know who he is but I'm looking forward to reading his writing. I hope you don't suck because if you do....well, you won't win. Welcome.

Just Write vs. Aesthetic
Just Write and Dove Dozer are both in the military and they are both very underrated. Forreal. Just Write will write a fucking verse that will tug at all your emotions. An excellent writer who is looking to make his first performance in this season a good one, and I don't think he will disappoint. As long as this dude has time to perform this season he will make a good run and knock some heads. As for Aesthetic, well he's had a rough run but the motherfucker has heart and what more could you ask for? He's looking to improve and JW is a good test for him to take him to the next level. With one loss already this season he will need a win now to stay in contention come playoff time. Sleeper battle of the week gentleman.

Pinot Grij vs. Objective
I'm not very sure who Pinot Grij is. He must be another guy who came along after I left. What I can tell you is this is his first week in this season, and he has a cool name. He'll be looking to get off to a fast start but he'll have a helluva test going against Objective who is a great writer. It is Objective's first week in the league as well and he will likely write a piece that is extremely elegant which will piss me off that I can't write like that. Thanks asshole. Welcome to the league fellas and looking forward to seeing what you bring.

Scripter vs. Athiest
Scripter likes to give constructive feedback so I hate him...Jk. A good writer who proved that last week by impressing the voters with a good verse against YDK. With a more structured and refined style this man has allot of potential and he could have taken his battle last week. Instead he lost and starts the season 0-1, but he will have a VERY tough test this week to redeem himself. Athiest, my former crew mate, was bothered with time constraints last week and still imo dropped a well constructed beginning to a story. With more time he has the potential to beat anyone. This is a battle to watch.

dead man vs. patrown
This is the battle of two guys who don't know how to capitalize their names. Seriously guys...Just press shift+d or shift+p...I'm rambling sorry. Dead is dead. We all know him. I knew him within the first few minutes of joining NC's. He's a fucking beast and he will be in a champ match in a few weeks and I'm very jealous of that. Don't lie, the rest of you are jealous too....Or patrown will come into this league and get a major upset. Patrown looked strong last week and if he comes with a dope verse this week against dead, this could be very interesting. I've got my eye on both of these writers.

Vulgar vs. NYCSPITZ
This battle is pitting two serious topical heavyweights against one another. An earthquake may occur from the force these two writers will bring against each other. Both of them are 1-0 and both of them wanna be 2-0. Who will succeed in this one is anyone's guess. Vulgar will bring a crazy story about something none of us will understand and brainwash us with awesomeness. At the same time NYC will bring an impressive flow with a slick story that will capture our imaginations. This shit will be epic. The VOTW will come from this battle.

vividlyvague vs. YDK
Vividlyvague is my second choice for the dark horse of the season. He's remaining active in this league all year he says and with him doing that he will upset several people who take him lightly and will cruise his way into the playoffs. This is a writer to look out for ladies and gentleman, and by ladies and gentleman I mean just gentleman. Where's the boobies? Ok back to this battle. YDK must be someone that came after I left because I do not recognize the name. Either way the man dropped a dope verse last week and was able to pull off his first win of the season against Scripter. This is the battle that separates the men from the boys imo. It'll be a good 'un.

Innovator vs. Zenland
Innovator is a dickfaced turdnugget who fail to come close to the dopeness I will drop. My superior writing will melt his face and b....My apologies. The truth is Inno is dope as fuck and is often overlooked. People look at him like he's just a pothead, which he definitely is, but he can fuck anyone up any week. A writer to look out for and I will have my work cut out for me this week. Good luck bro.

An Interview with Innovator by Certain

THE INTERVIEW
Certain interviews Innovator

Hi, Innovator. You're the first guest in the interview corner of the Art of Writing League's Season 2 magazines. Let's start with this: Why are you in this league, at this website or even writing topical rap verses in the first place?

[thanks for having me. well tbh I go to NC to waste time really. The league is just something that I love to do...I just like writing, no matter what I gain from it or even if I don't gain anything and I stay in the same place I started at. Not to say I don't want to win the league, but for me as long as people see that I have something to offer...is enough for me.]

What do you think is your greatest strength as a writer? What separates you from other members of this league?

[I think im a good storyteller. tbh I don't like to boast about my self but that would be one thing I can call a strength. well im high all the godam time, I mean all the time. im sure no one else aside from zenland is as high as me]

Who's the best writer in the league? Do you try to emulate others' styles at all?

[I honestly don't know whos the best I nthe league, I have a some favorites but id like to think the best is yet to named...anyone one can surprise you. I don't follow anyone at all. I don't like that. I like coming up with my own style based off the topic. I don't know if that makes sense, but if any one notices I try and bring a slightly different style to each week.]

What do you look for in feedback and votes? How do you try to approach voting, specifically as far as content vs. phrasing and diction?

[I want honestly from feed back. that's it. nothing else but honestly. be real with me don't sugar coat shit and don't hide behind fancy words...say what you mean and let me know exactly how you feel about my writing. there is no approach to my voting.. I don't any formula or shit like that..i just read and vote tbh. I don't how else to explain it lol.]

What's your favorite aspect of competing in these leagues?

[that I get another chance to write each week.]

What flavor ice cream is best? What would your ideal sundae consist of?

[peanut butter pecan, with strawberry swirls and some hot chocolate poured all over...godam!!!]

What's your favorite musical act (band or solo) ever? What's the worst album you own?

[Coheed 7 Cambria. worst album I own.....bone thugs latest...I dunno wtf I was thinking.]

Thanks, Innovator. Stick around!

League Records

1-0

Certain
dead man
Vulgar
Vividlyvague
Frank
Rawn MD
Aesthetic
YDK
Mr. J
patrown

0-0

Pancakebrah
Pinot Grij
Just Write
Objective
King Ra.

0-1

Zenland
Innovator
Scripter
Atheist
Adonis
Fig
Mike Wrecka

Signed Out

Dove Dozer (1-0)
Genocide (0-1)
UNFUKWITTABLE (0-1)
Witty (0-1)
namesake (0-1)
Defy Gravity (0-1)
Nigma (0-1)
Plot (0-1)

Conclusion

Voting has been amazing. The best I have ever seen personally. So even though I realize that the three votes or you are disqualified rule may seem like a pain in the ass, it is working. very very well so keep it up guys. And I just want to say that I am very busy running this league so I will do probably just three votes a week guys, sorry to all the people giving me such awesome feedback if I miss your piece I wish I could get to them all.

Keep it going. AOWL, the best league on the net.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBEXSiFzOfU[/

Vulgar
10-01-2013, 11:51 PM
Big ups guys, thanks for the work.

Inno
10-02-2013, 12:43 AM
this was good...I liked it.

because im all over it.

perfect syllable count

patrown
10-02-2013, 06:01 AM
patrown isn't 1-0.. nahhh... i must've misread my shit..

nice mag =) good point of view on all. keep that up.

Zen
10-02-2013, 07:06 AM
Dope.

Just Write
10-02-2013, 10:01 AM
Lol@ Innovator is a dickfaced turdnugget who fail to come close to the dopeness I will drop.

Dope mag

King Ra.
10-02-2013, 11:15 AM
Good job on this. And Zen, I'm definitely showing, good sir.

Y'all gonna have to let me get in on one of these mags later in the season. Epicness-approved. Salute.

YDK
10-02-2013, 11:37 AM
Good shit thanks for the work

NYCSPITZ
10-02-2013, 04:33 PM
dope work guys

gratitude.

e11even
10-02-2013, 11:36 PM
Big diff from last week. Dope as usual. ya'll gone git this work!!!

Frank
10-06-2013, 11:15 PM
Decent props

Interview the kid if u want the real scoop on how I pulled off the biggest heist in topical history

2 aliases in the finals, about to single handedly slay two juggernauts

Im back with a vengeance motherfuckers

King Ra.
10-06-2013, 11:38 PM
How the fuck? Lol. Can't believe I missed that.