PDA

View Full Version : stoned curiosity and amphetamine focus

oats
10-30-2013, 11:29 PM
is the best way to get work done.

unless you're on NC instead of doing your work. anyone wanna finish my hw?

StarFaggot
10-30-2013, 11:43 PM
Adderall and Mary

oats
10-30-2013, 11:43 PM
you got it.

Diode
10-30-2013, 11:51 PM
tussionex. pure liquid hydrocodone. opiate blanked loaded with energy.

oats
10-31-2013, 12:04 AM
tussionex. pure liquid hydrocodone. opiate blanked loaded with energy.

I'll look into that. how do you get a scrip for that?

Diode
10-31-2013, 12:14 AM
I'll look into that. how do you get a scrip for that?

i did too much dxm in my early 20s so i cant take OTC cough syrup, fucks me all up. i list it as an allergy.

so when i have a cough or painful sore throat, i always have top get a script for a narcotic

Eŋg
10-31-2013, 12:15 AM
what was your homework?

oats
10-31-2013, 12:16 AM
how to modify science curriculum for students with learning disabilities.

it's easy, I just really don't feel like doing it.

Eŋg
10-31-2013, 12:19 AM
i'm deconstructing Tennyson's Ulysses.

was maybe going to swap but you can keep yours, tbh.

Diode
10-31-2013, 12:22 AM
i'm deconstructing Tennyson's Ulysses.

was maybe going to swap but you can keep yours, tbh.

could be worse.

could be joyce.

Eŋg
10-31-2013, 12:23 AM
Joyce is one of my favourites (as is Tennyson). as a writer. not for his breaking-the-etym Ulysses, though.

i also know that oats is fond of him.

but yea this poem is a bit dry.

oats
10-31-2013, 12:27 AM
that sounds much more difficult, but also much more interesting. I miss English homework. I don't even teach science anymore.

oats
10-31-2013, 12:30 AM
yeah Joyce is def one of the GOATS. Portrait of the Artist and Dubliners are my personal fave. Couldn't do Finnegan's Wake, will start Ulysses after I finish the book I'm currently reading (I was told by a professor that I wouldn't enjoy it as much if I read it before I was 25, so I've honored that).

Rawn MD
10-31-2013, 12:35 AM
Oxydose Diode

dead man
10-31-2013, 02:17 AM
hated dubliners lol and that was apparently joyce's magnum opus so i never bothered to read anything else he wrote

maybe i need to give it a re-read..

Eŋg
10-31-2013, 02:34 AM
hated dubliners lol and that was apparently joyce's magnum opus so i never bothered to read anything else he wrote

maybe i need to give it a re-read..

he would probably consider Ulysses his magnum opus. in ambition, if nothing else. A Portrait of the Artist... which was mentioned, is considered (among) his best work, in reception.

haven't read either Finnegan's Wake or Ulysses (but did Chamber Music) & rate him highly.

m'yea... The Sisters, Araby, Eveline, A Little Cloud, A Painful Case ( -- thought you woulda liked the last two) & The Dead. Dubliners is a great book.

read Lord of the Flies twice, about 6 years apart, before realising how good it was.

in a nutshell: revisit.

add. oats i'll wait a year and a bit then, also... though that number/age feels a bit arbitrary.

oats
10-31-2013, 02:50 AM
oXus you're right - it is an arbitrary age. I think he was just saying don't spoil it with a rudimentary understanding of the finer points of his technique, which I would have inevitably done had I attempted to read it as a freshman in college. Perhaps when I was seasoned and in practice for literary reading around 22 it would have been fine, too. in any case, I have an idea of what it's about and how it's executed, but I'm still eager to read it. I tried Finnegan's Wake twice - the first in high school almost as a challenge, and I couldn't get through the first 50 pages. I tried it again during a winter break in college, thinking I'd somehow detect more to it, but even with greater resolve, I couldn't manage to finish it. Maybe one day it'll make sense, but I'm either too smart or way too stupid to orient myself in it. Now I tend to give a book 50-100 pages before I decide to drop it. how old are you, by the way?
dead man Ulysses is widely considered to be not only Joyce's best work, but also the best novel ever written. Which of course is incredibly subjective and debatable, but it's worth noting the prestige and accolades that it has received. That being said, Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man is def worth reading, also considered a top 10-15 novel of all time, and one of my personal favorites. Revisit that, and then Dubliners, and you'll prob like the latter better this time around.

Eŋg
10-31-2013, 02:57 AM
i had a similar experience with Finnegan's Wake. i'll endeavour to read that and Ulysses but will likely wait until after my degree, which will take a while, as i've too much reading to do in between. probably. reading Dickens, Hardy and Bronte's right now, and that's just prose.

24 in little over 3 weeks.

yea can i just echo you in either reading more Joyce or revisiting his work. there.

oats
10-31-2013, 03:04 AM
fuck man, I understand. Especially Victorian lit. Unlike Finnegan's, I can understand and respect the brilliance of Dickens et al, but I still couldn't get into a lot of it. Just too dense and wordy. I liked Vanity Fair a lot though. It sucks juggling all that reading cuz with me I always found that I only really read one thing at a time, and just skimmed/scanned through the other shit. So I "read" a lot of books in college, but didn't actually read them. point being, I should probably give them another go-around, as well.

Certain
10-31-2013, 03:07 AM
James Joyce definitely would have said Finnegan's Wake was his masterwork. But no one knows what the fuck he was talking about in it. I've read parts of it and found myself largely lost every time. Then I asked tenured English professors, and they said the same. It's not a wholly lucid book. It's not supposed to be.

Ulysses is widely considered his best, but I prefered A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man for its evolving writer's voice. Ulysses really requires academic study to fully grasp, and I don't care for that type of reading. I read it as I read any other book, and I really liked the words but definitely missed some of what they meant.

Dubliners is great, but it's not a reflection on his three novels at all.

Eŋg
10-31-2013, 03:10 AM
i hear you. Dickens is cool. for example parts of Bleak House are quite brilliant when you consider the context, the mood, emotions and in particular the fears of his audience at the time. but fuck me, does that book drag. it's not exactly a sagacious thing to say, yet i don't feel age would change my disposition toward the slower, laborious, parts of his writing there. i mean i get why they're there... sort of. but seriously.

i can even like the Brontë sisters.

i'm good with the Victorian Era more for the poetry, though. Tennyson, aforementioned, and either EBB or R Browning -- where i thrive. more or less.

idk i have a lot to read. lol. probably shouldn't even be online.

p.s. i think it's a toss up whether JJ would have said Finnegan's Wake or Ulysses was his best work. wasn't the latter unfinished? i remember reading something about this years ago -- it's where i got his phrase breaking the etym; an analog for 'splitting the atom'.

i tried to read Ulysses when i was 15 and almost immediately gave up.

Certain
10-31-2013, 03:13 AM
Charles Dickens mostly was writing his books in the form of serials. They were wordy so that they'd continue on for many editions of these literary magazines of the era. He really was writing pulp fiction, though, and while he had a great mind for stories, as an author, he probably compares more to Stephen King than any other contemporary. He was popular, productive and not particularly relevant for the way he constructed sentences.

Eŋg
10-31-2013, 03:18 AM
serialization was the thing, back then. i single out Bleak House because i find it more sluggish than his usual writing. he isn't my favourite; ever since i was 11 and coerced into reading Great Expectations which was not Harry Potter, y'know.

oats
10-31-2013, 03:20 AM
Dickens was (in)famously paid by the word for his work, so as Certain noted he would purposely be as verbose and descriptive as possible. Which, ironically, and this is all my opinion of course, led to him being considered as brilliant as he is. He went off on intricately detailed descriptions of things to simply fill up more page, and as a result his work is open to greater interpretation. I agree with you Certain though, he and Fitzgerald occupy that same space. King is underrated as literature too, imo.

Eŋg
10-31-2013, 03:22 AM
well, Alexander Pope would have been proud of him, at least.

Certain
10-31-2013, 03:30 AM
Dickens was (in)famously paid by the word for his work, so as Certain noted he would purposely be as verbose and descriptive as possible. Which, ironically, and this is all my opinion of course, led to him being considered as brilliant as he is. He went off on intricately detailed descriptions of things to simply fill up more page, and as a result his work is open to greater interpretation. I agree with you Certain though, he and Fitzgerald occupy that same space. King is underrated as literature too, imo.

But literary scholars, the types who adore James Joyce, don't care for Charles Dickens.

I've never read anything by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I'm not interested, really. There are so many authors out there.

oats
10-31-2013, 03:36 AM
I agree, to an extent - I think there are probably equal amounts if not more who appreciate both. But there is definitely a brand of people that fit that description.

Agreed though, there are way more books I'm more interested in reading right now. Last couple years I've been reading a lot of nonfiction, more than I ever did in college at least. I try to bounce between fiction and nonfiction.

Certain
10-31-2013, 03:41 AM
If you started today reading one highly regarded book a week, you could live until you were 500 and still not have cracked halfway through the list. It's pretty absurd how many well-regarded books (novels, plays, story collections, essay collections, memoirs, nonfiction narratives, etc.) there are.

oats
10-31-2013, 03:53 AM
No joke. Especially since people are still churning out brilliant work. I'm a huge Salman Rushdie fan. If you haven't read Midnight's Children, it's staggering. Also recently read Tenth of December by George Saunders, which contained a couple of phenomenal short stories, among the best I've ever read. Don't get me started man, I have no avenue to nerd out on literature anymore.

edit: are you on goodreads?

Rawn MD
10-31-2013, 04:06 AM
I liked Verne, but I can't read that kinda stuff much ne more

Postmodern lit

Pallahnuik
Vonnagut
Attwood

veritas
10-31-2013, 08:06 AM
Ulysses is the one work which I have never been able to finish.

It mocks me bc picard brought it with him for light reading when he went on vacation to Riza.

Split
10-31-2013, 09:14 AM
I have to program a microprocessor to blink an LED 10 times when a button is pressed, and adjust a servo motor 's position according to the total number of blinks.