PDA

View Full Version : Art of Writing League Magazine [THE PRESEASON EDITION].

King Ra.
02-13-2013, 12:44 PM
http://identitypr.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/storytelling-wordle.jpg

The Introduction
The time is now. Ladies & gentlemen, welcome to AOB's Storytelling/Writers League, the first inaugural season. The sign ups have been completed & due to popular demand, the league officially begins to make way. The turnout is deep. There are many new ideas being put in place to make this league not only successful, but motivate the participants to want to compete. 12 weeks lie ahead on the road to the playoffs. Who will be AOB's first ever undisputed topical champion? Will the big names like Black D (dead man), Vulgar, Frank or Genocide take the crown? Will promising risers like Cake, Witty, HelloKitty (NYCSPITZ) or Mic Wrecka make the leap into AOB history? All will be revealed this season. This magazine will feature everything you need to know to kick things off. So sit back, relax & enjoy the read. Lets get into it.

Split's Opening Words
Good afternoon, br0s. Welcome to the inaugural magazine of AOB's Art of Writing League. I was hesitant to sign up to moderate at first, but seeing some old school veterans, fresh AOB newbies, and some guests from other leagues around the net changed my motivation completely.. glad to have you guys here, I promise it will be interesting. I'd like to thank Genocide and King Keith for bein the other two people running this shindig, and give a shout to Camp Bell for being readily available to be interviewed. Im excited with the match ups. Good luck.

http://youtu.be/6903zFUIxoU

OPEN MIC FEATURE #1

"Feminism" written by Matriarch

a race of ridicule based on municipal meets
tracks of decaf - disease patched on Dunstable street
dicking Jane - corporate ladder office windows and suite
mound of checks rise as neck ties with tempest elite
destine to meet, press allegiance test this somber system
- heels and miniskirt’s a leg up on the competition
An art. A system. Arguments of vague and passive words
Plato’s philosophy to Kratos crazed vernacular
Strange - spectacular engaged in feudal warring state
of mind - knowledge. Power pending play of swords and blades
Lilith longing for equality’s a coarse display
deemed a demon just for reasoning the Lord’s way
sons of atom and evolution sent to month of may
- to be tempted by the jezebels of present day
piece of ass. meat. tasked? create/induce confusion
a piece of rib. caged, allude to ancient institution
And state pen deducing arguments to prove as facts
the notion of Men > Women? ‘but where’s the proof in that?
you think that power’s in the proof of pudding dicks in pussies?
‘cause lust is limbo - and we’ve raised the bar since 1960
behind a great man’s a leading lady. paradox?
Where would Columbus be without Isabel of Aragon
Sun Wukong waged a holy war against the heavens
But it was Guan Yin, the Holy Mother he lamented
again my scorned form exceeds the fury depth of hell
so i came to raise it ..

- Sincerely, Jezebel

What the readers are saying....

Cake- "The use of punctuation was strong and is one of my favorite aspects of writing open mic pieces. Indicating rest/pause notes, staccato delivery, AND to create wordplay, double meanings, and allusions (rib. caged, specifically). Content was spot on."

Split- "this was pretty nuts. Word choice was excellent. I like how you don't dwell on metaphors at all, it gives your verse a more directed feel and strengthens your argument, like you're making a statement instead of going for artistic merit."

Genocide- "Piece was ill, the raw content you deliver is always intense and the ability you have to make every thought become vivdly detailed is amazing."

HelloKitty- "I came in thinking this was gonna be wack b/c a female wrote it but this was dope. Best female topicalist I've seen by a mile."

WEEK 1 PREDICTIONS

SPLIT versus MALACHI
What's the deal?- This may be the most one-sided match this week. SPLIT comes in looking to start the season off fast, while his opponent MALACHI tests the waters of the topical genre for the first time. We have a solid writer up against a young kid with high expectations.
Who wins?- This match has KO written all over it. To be honest, a KO is only fitting. Any slip up here by Split will be detrimental & Malachi would really be given a boost. Seriously though, let's be real. I see the young Prophet hit'n the canvas harder than Paquiao but he should definitely take this battle as a lesson learned. It may be a long season. Prediction: SPLIT wins, 4-0.

HELLOKITTY versus BLEAK
What's the deal?- HELLOKITTY (a.k.a. "NYCSPITZ") begins his quest for the undisputed topical crown. That quest begins here against BLEAK (a.k.a. "GERONY-splat!!!). HelloKitty is a resepcted writer, don't let the name fool you. When he is on his A-game, he can be difficult to beat. Never read or heard of Bleak doing topicals but if this is his first time, it will be a tough test.
Who wins?- Unlike my above prediction, I'm certain Bleak has better writing skills than Malachi, but in any case, NYC can be lethal. He has one of the smoothest flows in this league & I see him dropping an easy piece to take the victory. Can you say "knockout"? I can. Prediction: HELLOKITTY wins, 4-0.

RAYGE versus CAMP BELL
What's the deal?- This should be an interesting match.... Or maybe not. RAYGE steps out of the battle realm joins the Writers League possibly looking to have his name etched as one of the best & seeking topical gold. His opponent CAMP BELL is no tweener though. With some fresh OM drops under his belt, the Soup King is seeking to garner some royalty & pull upsets. This could be one of the surprise matches of week 1.
Who wins?- I get the feeling topicals are nothing new to Rayge & as he is rising the ranks as a solid battler, don't be surprised if he happens to do just as well with topicals. The Soup King looks hungry though & I expect a very well written drop to contend against his opponent. Something tells me that it will not be enough. Prediction: RAYGE wins, 5-2.

POHFIG versus MR. SINISTER
What's the deal?- As with all leagues that are created, you always have your cases of no showers & this match up may be just that. I haven't seen POHFIG around since he signed up, so I wouldn't be surprised if he never shows at all. MR. SINISTER on the other hand is under the same radar. I've seen him around, but not much & if I recall correctly he is trying his hand at this topical thing for the first time.... I could be wrong. Either way I don't see him showing up either.
Who wins?- I doubt either will show and/or drop. If so, more power to both, if not.... well then- so be it. I'm banking on one showing up & taking an easy W. Prediction: WINNER BY NO SHOW.

INNOVATOR versus RAWN MCDON
What's the deal?- I get the feeling this could be a pretty good match up. RAWN begins his journey to the top this week against INNOVATOR, a newcomer in my eyes because I've yet to read anything from him, but I believe this is no newbie to the topical scene. Either way, he's up against a very good writer in Rawn. It's been sometime since I've read a piece from Mr. Pseu, but nonetheless, he will be a hefty opponent for The Vator.
Who wins?- Does Rawn have some rust to shake off? Is he prepared to quickly rise the ranks? I'm smelling a sneak victory from The Vator but if Mr. Pseu has something to prove, this would be the perfect time to show it. Because your division is one of the toughest in the conference & every win counts. Prediction: RAWN edges it out, 4-3.

SLEEPER MATCH OF THE WEEK!!!
KUJA versus OBJECTIVE
What's the deal?- Don't sleep on this match! This is the sleeper match up of the week & with good reason. These are two very skilled writers under the radar who can really throw it down & I'm expecting nothing short of such in this week 1 match. I've participated in a league with these two before & they are very good at their peak. KUJA looks to kick things off on the right foot. He's a solid storyteller, so don't be surprised if he drops something of that nature this week. OBJECTIVE is very technical. But he can drop gems.
Who wins?- It may come down to preference. I'm a storyteller myself & if it comes down to it, I believe Kuja can start the season off right with a solid story, sneaking past Objective by a hair. This really can go either way. Who would you choose? Predictions: KUJA by the last vote, 5-4.

COUP versus ZENLAND
What's the deal?- Another battle of unknowns from my perspective but my gut is telling me this will be a surprise match. I've peeped some of ZENLAND's work & he is a pretty good writer. COUP is new to me but I'm thinking this guy is just as good & possibly better. This will be interesting to see how these two drop this week.
Who wins?- As I mentioned before, not really familiar with these two, at least under these names & though I've read some of Zenland's stuff on AOB, my instincts are telling me the Coupe is ready to roll. Yes, indeed it is. Won't be an easy cruise to victory but I think you'll deliver. Or not? Prediction: COUP wins in a close one, 5-4.

MATRIARCH versus DYSTOPIAN
What's the deal?- The deal is one I am familiar with & the other not. Matriarch b.k.a. "harMonica" makes her debut as the only female in the league. But don't let her gender fool you. This lady can write. It will be a most pressing match for DYSTOPIAN & nothing short of spectacular will keep you close to pulling the win here.
Who wins?- Haven't seen Miss Monica on here since sign-ups were open. I'm really hoping she shows because it'll be very interesting to see how she does in this league. With that said, this looks to be another KO match. I've never read any of Dysto's work, so who knows how good he is. All I know is you better hope she doesn't show or you drop something out of your ass because I don't see her opening the season with a loss. Prediction: MATRIARCH wins, 4-0.

SPOTLIGHT MATCH-UPS OF THE WEEK

TYSON versus NIGMA
What's the deal?- TYSON has found his place in the topical world & he has been steadily rising. Can he take the next step this season as one of the best? NIGMA is looking to prove himself, too. And what better way to do that than to pull off a win here against a riser. Both seem to have similar styles. This match up should be really intriguing.
Who wins?- This is probably the hardest match to pick from. It can go either way & I believe both will definitely bring it this week. I'm gonna have to go with the one who's hot. Tyson is coming off a topical victory against the Great Geno that took place in the battle arena. A key win which may be the beginning of many more to come. Nigma dropped one or two pieces in the OM, I'm sure he's warmed up. This may be close. I'm gonna say a two vote cushion. Prediction: TYSON pulls away, 5-3.

GENOCIDE versus ORC
What's the deal?- GENOCIDE is one of the most accomplished writers on the net. He has a long history & has earned his place as one of the best. He will be out for blood this year looking to be crowned the undisputed champion. His opponent this week, ORC, takes a step into the topical arena, looking to dominate just as he has with text battles. Word around AOB is Orc is not new to topicals. Question is, will he be able to jump out the gate with a solid piece this week?
Who wins?- Geno took a loss against Tyson in the BA but nonetheless, he has been at it in the OM, still showing his unprecedented consistency. Orc will be in for a battle here. If he can transfer his smooth wording & creativity into this match up, then we could have ourselves a real dope battle. Who gets it? I have to go with the one who is more than likely amped & looking to make a statement this week. Prediction: GENOCIDE wins, 4-2.

UPSET ALERT! UPSET ALERT!

FRANK versus MIC WRECKA
What's the deal?- These spotlight matches are just too good, huh? This one will be just as good. FRANK looks to kick things off right here, coming off that disappointing loss to Academy on netcees, in the second round of the playoffs before the site shut down. Frank is one of the most creative writers you will ever see- that's if he is in the mood to write. MIC WRECKA comes in this season as a notable riser. He has the skills to be one of the best & this will be a great chance to prove it. He also seems very hungry to make moves.
Who wins?- You can choose either one, but I'm certain the majority would go with Franky. The only thing is, which Frank shows up? The one who doesn't seem to be inspired, the one who no shows or the one who flexes his muscles? Frank can easily take this but you never know what to expect. Mic Wrecka can make his move right here. A victory would send ripples throughout the league. Even a close loss wouldn't be too bad. I haven't taken any risks with my predictions. Not until now. I got an upset here. Prediction: MIC WRECKA with the upset, 5-4.

DEAD MAN versus KILLER ARIES
What's the deal?- One of the greatest writers to grace to boards returns to action in yet another season, DEAD MAN whom all know as Black D. Black is looking to regain the crown once again & he is one of the strongest, if not THE strongest writer in this league. His pieces are always damn near flawless. The only thing that stops Black is himself, when he no shows. KILLER ARIES is up for a challenge. Word on the street, Aries is a respectable topical writer, so it would not be surprising if this match is one of the best this week.
Who wins?- Will Killer Aries show? Haven't heard much from him since Bags sonned him. Hopefully he puts all that aside and focuses on the league. I don't see Black losing this one though. If there is one person in this league who can go undefeated, as difficult as that may be, it would be Black. If Aries does show, this will be a good match, but I see Black getting a solid KO victory here. Prediction: DEAD MAN wins, 4-0.

BATTLE OF THE WEEK!!! BATTLE OF THE WEEK!!!

CAKECAKECAKE versus WITTY
What's the deal?- BOTW. Two highly skilled writers duke it out to jump off the season. CAKE is easily one of the best in the league. His style is raw & fresh. I believe out of all the participants in the league at this moment, he can give Black a run for his money. (Remember that epic battle on netcees against Black?) WITTY is just as talented. He is technically sound & his pieces are almost always smooth and full of rich imagery. This battle should not fall short at all. Could be an instant classic.
Who wins?- When it comes to topicals, anything goes. Sometimes writers can struggle writing to a picture or topic & that can give the opposing writer a much needed advantage. These two are no slackers, so both should have no problem writing this week. It may come down to preference & who can paint the better picture, tell a better story. I like Witty's approach this week, I believe he will bring something dope but something tells me the Cakester will show no mercy. Mr. Cake, if you are the next best thing, handle your business this week. This is your chance. Predicton: CAKECAKECAKE in a classic, 7-5.

King Ra.
02-13-2013, 12:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyyKhak2BOE

Writer Biographies
(Split)

dead man
Ah yes, the venerable Blacketh. Black is the closest thing to a legend in the modern topical scene... this is no baseless evaluation, for I have literally never been to a league who does not know of Black. When it comes to lyricism, Black has an incredibly distinctive style that many a new writer have attempted to emulate but none have reproduced. With abstract concepts seemingly drawn from the topical writers' collective conscience, refined and reforged into a meaningful quote- then displayed in a cockily academic tone with carefully constructed flow, Black is a force to be reckoned with.

set in your ways. backhanded compliments, the negative praise
sketch a Monet interpretation - never having put a pencil to page
pressing erase everyday for motivation to play
found love a couple times, just to chase it away
it wasn't in a hopeless place. it was close and immediate
accompanied by distance and a host of inebriates.

Bleak
Bleak is not a newbie to the topical scene, but has not been competing regularly and may be rusty. He's still developing his style and getting his feet under him. His pieces are characterized by subtly surreal concepts and metaphors, smooth flow that places emphasis on end rhymes like many text-battlers. Sometimes his wording comes across as inelegant and forced, but also has the capacity to write poignant quotables. I would say people have a tendency to sleep on him in both topicals and battle verses.

He lays at night and thinks of when the days were bright and vivid.
But thanks his stars for dank and bars, and God for lights he's given.
Answers to the question surface, without the heart to believe sense.
With faith in her he'll lose the way.
Instead he hides the spite that bites like sharks through the pretense.

Witty
What can be said about Witty? Another writer with talent who has spent the time to hone his talent and style. His style's marked by multis abound, a strong writing voice and carefully built stories- not to mention almost zero filler in his verses. Witty reminds me a lot of Eyedea. Sometimes his writing lacks clever metaphors or flips, but his style more than makes up for it. Witty I believe has beat almost every writer he's come up against at least once (in SV). Multiple leagues champed, somewhere around 20 OM HOF's, Witty's skills are undeniable. Witty struggled in Netcee's topical league, but I think it's due to being unused to be forced into a single choice for his topic. Should this league garner his attention, his record will show it.

Inside each of the S.W.A.T trucks, they’re pleading for God’s luck
To bless their weapons, and make this demon come unstuck
Reaching their destination, they’re ordered to man their stations
Circling the house, they have to wait for instructions and practice patience
Not making a noise, they’re standing in place and they’re poised
As they kick the door down, and find him in the basement; destroyed

Innovator
Innovator is a very poetically inclined writer, able to interlace imagery with concepts and develop a piece succinctly. Most distinct thing to me is how appealing his language is. Sometimes his wording struggles, his grammar always struggles. However there's no doubt his developed drops are nothing to fuck around with. Innovator will probably be slept on and will probably turn a lot of upsets this season.

the people die by the dozen the gods have forsaken
us and we are taken by this haven of baren pavement
the only thing flowing is the blood as it courses through
the city's diseased vains as it grieves at the grim truth

Coup
Coup is a writer from RM I believe, where he did rather well for himself.. a lot of champ matches and a lot of contender matches. his writing is chock full of imagery and has a very creative take on topics in general. A lot of religious undercurrents in his verses but it works to his advantage. Strong concepts from what ive seen. He has a developed flow and will surely be a contender in this league, in my opinion.

Flat on my ass I look and see bats
I also note clouds cycle, sky wings
Flying in rains to drown something
Dense drops tap-dance my tongue
Reacting like acid, fizzing that blood
I burn and then remember once was
The rain, that water, that flash flood

Orc
Orc is widely known as one of the best modern text battlers, but got his start way back when in topicals as ..Hades! It'll be interesting to see how he makes his reappearance in topicals, but looking at his old work, he has strong metaphors and emotion. His years of refining his wording will help.

..a poor bastard - my soul is surely damned
life is a journey, man.. and a journeyman must turn master.
apprentice of naivety, believe in me?
I WISH I COULD HAVE LEARNED FASTER!

Kuja
Kuja hails from RM, too. I've read a few of his verses and am very impressed with his storytelling skills... lyrically solid, but the storytelling and creativity of his verses are what really stand out to me, something a four line preview can barely capture. Looking forward to seeing his battles.

His ribcage beating as his heart inside carried on pounding
Peters mind was running around like a figure of eight
As every rational thought he had, started to silther away
Then the stench hit him, the smell of decay, rotting flesh
In a basement of some sort, maggot ridden, a hellish creche
He turned to his left, laid dying was the old man he had met
'this is the end, my young friend' he muttered under his breath
'We are the recipe, broken teeth & bits of bone mixed in with seeds
It seems Crow knows deep down what birds truely like to eat'
Peters was never seen again, what had happened no one was certain
A postcard arrived...
'Feeding the birds makes me feel like a better person'

HelloKitty
NYCSPITZ, a highly acclaimed topical writer who I truly know nothing about except he fiends after females of all kind in all places, and is not so good at chess. I remember a few of his verses from NC's, and while he no-showed a lot, he also dropped bombs. His verses are highly polished and he could champ the league early if he stays focused (doubtful). His style is a combination of multis, strong imagery, and nuanced plot advancement through strong statements. PancakeBrah still gets wet thinking about his win over HelloKitty. He is also no longer undefeated in rap forums chess, so now he has something to prove.

Suspended by invisible strings, firey roar merges with icy hiss
Sen-Shun's soul reflects in those black holes, the night's abyss
From below he climbs, hearing wooden sandal's unlikely clicks
...infinite moments where the paradox of time exists
He ascends - sensing third eye blocked he clenches mighty fists

Split Eight
he has glasses. unoriginal, unstylistic, lacking direction and lyrically weak. his style is a pathetic imitation of an authentic writer every week, with precocious rhyme schemes mixed in. may god have mercy on his halfling soul.

nothing

Matriarch
Matriarch a.k.a. HarMonica is fresh to NC's/ AOB's but either has been writing already or has a lot of talent. She has excellent control over metaphors, subtle wordplay that permeates her verse and often is thematically linked, and recently adopting imagery that grounds her abstract themes and makes them easier to digest. Also, as Cake noted, actually pays attention to punctuation- one of the best tools in the topical trade IMO. One of the best newcomers in the last year, I'd say. excited to see how she'll do, if she decides to show up. Boston WHATTUP.

Lilith longing for equality’s a coarse display
deemed a demon just for reasoning the Lord’s way
sons of atom and evolution sent to month of may
- to be tempted by the jezebels of present day

Rayge
Rayge has dropped solid flex pieces before, he struggles with wording sometimes but has good concepts. I have never seen one of his topicals before, he could do well given his quick elevation in text battling.

Malachi
Malachi is very young but shows great lyrical potential, especially for being like 11. He's improved rapidly, and should he sticks around he'll elevate even more. According to Black, he should "not let these rap forums change him". DONT LISTEN PROPHET. CONFORM.

Disaster strikes when I bust a rhyme
A bastard that don't fit the paradigm of teen's mind at this time
Rapping black magic with passion
Temper tantrum with my six handguns

Objective
Objective is nice with it. He did well in the NWL during its existence. He has strong lyrical abilities and his storytelling is crisp. I wish I remembered his name on his other site so I could pull a quote that would do him justice

That I went out on town and got blackouts from roofies.
The wack scouts the devil sent is camouflaged in booties,
I keep my eyes on em, but they still fuck me over for duties.
The reason I don't believe in cuties; *fuck sluts and watch a couple of movies.*

Rawnold MacDonald
MacNazi. Infamous. Quickserve Perfected. BlitzServe. Eating a blooming onion while paragliding down K2 being pursued by SAS heat-seeking drones for shipping homemade-genetically-modified ki's into the states through his Six-Sigma Blackbelt Kenyan connect, whom he ghostwrites battle verses for. These are some things synonymous with Rawnold McFondled.
Rawn is lyrical but also really wants to seem smart while flexing his street smarts. When you can get past these things, his verses are enjoyable and schemed particularly well. His tone is indeed academic yet real. He can win some matches on storytelling alone, but hates 'poetry bullshit', i can see topics working against him, because he hates every topic or verse i've ever given him.

I'm the Torah's horror, the Quran's quandary and bible's rival
a genesis as a testament to the book of revelations embracing Baal's revival
Salem's own angel dust addict doing tetrodetoxin black magic

ZenLand
An Open Mic upstart, ZenLand has character. Still developing a style, yet already has distinctive flair. His topics are well chosen and havea fresh approach, some of his individual lines could use some polish. He could be a sleeper success.

To smash the courage of Heaven's sects by crashin churches
No time to yearn the loss cuz I'm burnin mosques and turnin the cross
On it's head, God is dead, It's time for the return of the boss
No more words thats false or being concerned with loss

Camp Bell
Camp Bell is another Open Mic frequenter who is heavily slept on. Fresh metaphors, fresh scheming, and doesn't bend his writing to please his viewers. If he can get used to being forced into writing for a topic and crafting a story he could be a rookie contender.

my tightened threads and ignorant rhythms, enlighten heads
a tyrant in the building, tyson's intuition, biting is for bitches
i'm fighting for my right to vibe in vents at lined event billings
blowing lime that hit ya mind then shits silly, pine in sin city
vice in my grip, its not in likeness of chris, i'm into gift giving

Mike Wrecka
Mike Wrecka/ Mic Wrecka, dudes been around for a minute. I remember him coming out of nowhere in the last few weeks of the NWL's existence and instantly shaking the rust off, dude's got nasty flow. KEEP THE SCHEME RUNNING B

a ruthless alliance, that's incredibly gifted,
deleting documents till u never existed/
we are a phantom menace, with sinister motives,
using various methods, to deliver explosives/
resistance is hopeless I can trigger hypnosis,
causing amnesia that exceeds the usual dosage/

cakecakecake
The brahest of pancakes. Very nonformulaic lines and dope wording, his hipster music influences affect his writing as well. IDIOTTTT was one of my favorite Open Mic pieces ive read. He excels especially in storyelling. he'll do really well if he can motivate himself to write, he can contend with heavyweights.

And I see the reach of the road, from here, the base of the trail.
Baseless and bare, barren and broke.
And my face’ll just stare trying to repair it with hope, trust, and gold dust panned.
Like verses carefully wrote as comparative notes in my cold, clutched hands.

Genocide
Adolf Spitler, seasoned Open Mic veteran who has been around since text was born. Pretty much literally. Nothing more to say, incredible versatile writer. keeps it real.

I've had it and scarred, but running away can be as bad as them bars
Have you people ever actually sparred, or fought for your life?
I've overdosed once, woke up in the hospital twice
Or we can talk about the stores I've robbed to suffice
Christ, did it just to go and cop another shot of my vice

Nigma
Nigma, too, has been around for a good bit.. masterful at flexes and highly competent at storytelling. Nigma uses heavy metaphors and allegories as well as a natural, unique rhyming structuree to embellish his verses.

Blood and gore in my hand, squish a batch to pour on the canvas
Typin lines that form into gashes like backs hit with 400 lashes
My minds a sword or an axe in the hands of a Nord as he crashes to war
In the battle, I'm thwarting your plans using Morrowind tactics
Fact is I'm torn between a thirst for grey I claim is my worst of traits
I'm still ill as cursed plague, you pricks as sick as a cure for AIDs

Mr. Sinister
I do not know Mr.Sinister other than that people who've been around a long time remember me. His drops in the OM have been respectable, I don't know enough to pick apart his writing or anything. he's got good form.

Angel eyes analyze any artillery I author
While demonic thoughts lap my brain translating to a scorcher
Somewhat a hoarder... half the room's flowers, the others corpses
Heart of a lion, scientists' mind, lower half like a horses'
Shameful of my sins while simultaneously selling sour
Smoke combined with the layer in the air from metal showers

Tyson
Tyson is underrated. Scheming issues aside, dude has some good writing. He recently won a tight battle against Genocide in the BA. Tyson conveys ideas with ease and usually surprises competitors with on point rhymes and imagery.

At one point it was important to be the crude soldier I was
Now the war is over and I'm expected to resume morning folgers with love
They set fire to my dreams now I'm suppose to bloom roses and hugs
I shrug at that expectation drugs calm that ex fixation
Fuck who provided the inclination that its ok to sacrifice my soul for a nation

Frank
Frank is an enigmatic writer who can approach a topic entirely backwards and still come out with a dope verse. Solid rhyming to back great characterization and emotional range. Frank better show.
The fog from the leafs causes a serene revolving Miserere..
Repeated life sentence we resolve sinner sinning sprees like reward beneficiaries
Living in the Lawn like honey I shrunk the kids - dwarf the imagery
Going to war with a blades of grass, cutting the head off a centipede
Hiding like a recluse reappearing confused in a spinners seize
The bank wouldn't reapprove me cause my bong cost was in the G's
Readjustment on the mortgage forged - double-crossing T's

Dystopian
Don't know him. Hasn't checked or dropped a verse anywhere.

The Eightly Show
Welcome, friends! to the increasingly posted, amateur-critically acclaimed interview sessions with your completely original Split Eight!
----------
>Sup Camp Bell, how've you been?

im good fam, cant complain. just watching meth videos on youtube (dont ask! lol)

>Fantastic! So, I vaguely remember you being on Netcees, but is it your home site? How long you been writing?
my very first site ever was letsbeef.com then goldmic, which i loved. so that would be it. i always saw text as a fun hobby, so its been on/off with me as far as writing goes

>Any major influences on your writing, music or writers?
id just have to say my fellow textcees and everyday shit we go through as people inspire me

>What do you think your strengths And weaknesses as a writer are?
my strength would have to be rhyming. weakness is consistency and patience, i have no patience to sit down and put deep thought into a piece, which is why my concepts are saw as being all over at times.

>Who do you see as contenders to champ the league early in the season?
it may be a surprise but zen and rawn are both cold in there own way, id like to see how far one of them make it. although im humble, once i heat up, id like to see myself be champed..who knows tho, theres alot of talent, may the best man win

>Any writers you want to collab with?
aww man...hell yea, im really into the flex/swag and flow type drops, so a collab with me, dull boy and Orc would hit IMO, i think i could hang with the both of them if i really put my foot into it, Nice also. theres mad people id love to work with really, those just are the standouts

>Have you ever competed in a topical league before?
umm, nah. this is my first, i almost didnt think i could do it but i need to challenge myself to get better which is the ultimate goal, i also want to branch out from just silly rhyme drops all the time

>How do you feel about your topic this week?
LOL. at first i was like "this dude tripping" then as i got high and stared at the pic, i just started writing what came to mind. the interesting thing about this is, its no right or wrong way. its really how we see the pic and what it represents. i think yall will like the direction i went tho

>Any dope battles this week?
ehh, the joe boston vs hollywood is hot right now. i think joe will take that when its all said and done

>You're cornered by a deranged serial killer. You can use one weapon from pop culture to defend yourself.. what is it?
maaan, id use siri to summon chief keef and the goons....GANGNAM STYLE!

>LMAO A FEEBLE ATTEMPT AT BEST. The killer snaps your arm like a sapling! Final words on this planet?
...am i being punk'd?!

>If you got paid $50/hour would you be a Gap model? Btw all ur friends would know about it
Gap, FUBU and U.S. Polo Association son!

>Awesome. Thanks for the interview, got any shout outs/ closing comments?
word, thanks for the opportunity. S/O to that bitch in figurative's Gif...hey boo! S/O to you for your work on the site and closing comments? "i dont usually go out like this but when i do, its with a bang......Stay Thirsty, My Friends"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mIdeTnk8k0

King Ra.
02-13-2013, 12:50 PM
OPEN MIC FEATURE #2

"The Ogliarchy Always Ends" written by Vulgar

I’d forgotten what it was like to wade through marketplaces
Another morning in August ought to be placed in songbird cadence
was it all worth it…in exchange for hellacious inauguration?
This nation of solemn faces, tent pole monarchs disarmed and graven
bloodline compartmentalization left 'em huddled like startled ancients
Squeezed for every cent in debt on deadly whim for some petty bricks
I find things in common with repenting Russian czars, the Serengeti prince
living above where the levees drench the valleys & the servant's buildings
In a castle built by subservient siblings, brothers in arms, emerging children
seems I could no longer curb the feeling - threw a rope over
latched it’s rungs thinkin to myself I'm just an average chum
I escaped from the castle walls like the disillusioned elitist I had become
You see, I live a half life in a dark coven with tattered robes
A christened drab ambrose that glistens like timeless manifolds had risen
Our lives are too rife in this ruckus - diamonds encrusted in grandiose positions
Mother nature's panty-hose are missin'
though Saturn’s glow is distant, it contributes to the last imposed ellipsis
Me being glad to own the kingdom is in the past, a woe, unholy tempest
Allow me to blast this "noble" image while I harass the classic low percentage
I’m ready to trade in my crown, my throne, my mittens
My gold provisions, my goal, to visit a place of bold resistance
To take a humble path. Atonement for my lineage -
Even Castro knows his limits... don't pass the coca
I'll be a casanova, perhaps tending to pastures of Roman women
leaving behind what dictatorship entails, as the plague of quick labor grips the frail
Thousands just died yesterday cause there were invading raiders in the wells
had the thirsty citizens known of the wine at my table? They’d rebel
I’m considered as sacred as the grail - a rich fucking traitor infidel.
A false king among his own people, beggar of approval, leading panicked roosts
but the leader IS an animal, and the facts we teach would sadden you
Mass psychology manipulation via bread, crumbs & the yeast compatible
I found God but didn't need to seek sabbaticals
A sheikh’s pentagonal shield is radical as bishops work nursin' the world’s current
demands for sterling burden the dirt merchants and the worst verdict?
thenstead of mouths to feed, they'll say "It's cheaper to just offer them church sermons"
I’d consider myself a learnt person, a shepherd converted to an equal now
feeling under the weather beneath a teeming stream of Middle eastern clouds
The suffering in their facial features seems to bleach the crowd, I see it now
I’m feeling like an evil count with a Ouija board, fiend of the doctrine
gambling like King Theomach did to be on the streets as a prophet
From this day forth I, Lord Status Quo will dive into a sea of souls
Hegemony is no more, tell the royal leige of old they can keep the scrolls
After preaching my psalms through lands of sweeping gold...
I’ll become a common man with peaceful home, where trees can grow
remember those strolls through halls of judgment when I was talking slick?
I traded my imperial scepter for a walking stick -
I traded my dynasty's wings for the holy book, seraphim for kabbalists
Now I pray to Elohim's accomplices in a cottage lit by kerosene & hostel wicks
re-establishing myself as an authoritarian of the right breed
throughout my mind's territory
to spread the good word:
for a fair regime of consciousness.

What the readers are saying....

Split- "I thought this was cool... quite the sweeping epic."

Genocide- "Bout time the god arrived."

Sharp Nine- "This lived up to the high standard set by seeing Vulgar attached to an OM. The construction of the piece is all there and more. I really dug the perspective you took, definitely felt out of the ordinary...."

Camp Bell- "....the way you wrote this was more amazing.... the vocab was very intelligent and well used."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUMRCEDfG7A

A Word From The King

As you already know, some fresh features are added to the league. Aside from conferences/divisions, an in-depth rankings system will also be featured. This will not take place until around week 4, when title & contender matches begin. You can catch the breakdown of the rankings every week in the magazine when it kicks off. There is another system that will be implemented, but this will be based solely on the activity of the league. Think of it as a back-up plan in the case that the division system we have now goes out of wack. In any case, participants will not have to worry about the league tanking in the event that the current system doesn't work. Activity is solely based on your participation, so the more you participate, the better the league will run. Remember to sign out if you will not be dropping in any given week. It's better than a no show. We all know that voting is key. The faster votes are done, the smoother we can transition into the next week. You don't have to write a novel of a breakdown, but please, give a thorough explanation. Every writer likes to see how readers feel about their pieces.

That's all for this weeks word from the King. Any new updates, you will be notified. Holler.

PRESEASON TOP 10 RANKINGS:

1. dead man

The rankings wouldn't be right if this guy was not sitting at the top. With Vulgar not yet signed into the league, it seems as if the dead man has all the doors open to winning the championship. Seriously, the only competitor I see being a thorn at his side is the Cakester, other than that, it's duck season. One of the most polished writers to grace the net, it seems as if Black is motivated- HIGHLY motivated to sweep the season. And a motivated Black is extremely scary. If he could avoid no shows or slacking off, I see him possibly going undefeated. Who knows who else will sign during the season, but Black has all the tools to handle business. Now let's see if he does just that. Could win 10-11 matches.

2. cakecakecake

While NYC (HelloKitty) is one of my favorite writers when it comes to flow/delivery, this guy Cake is something else. He will no doubt be a tough match-up for anyone & if there is anyone out there who can give Black a run for his money, it's this guy. It's very hard for me to picture Cake losing this season unless he no shows. The main question is will he participate consistently this season? He can easily take the crown if he has that drive to do so. His division is pretty stacked but the way to the crown lies on his road. Will Cake be the undisputed champ? I believe so. I see him making the finals. And he's one of the battlers I think can win all his matches. Could win 10-11 matches.

3. Genocide

The Great Adolf (how ironic?) once again is back at it & if there is one guy who is very motivated to prove the critics wrong, it's this guy. Geno is coming off that recent loss to Tyson in the BA & he is looking for redemption. It is clear that he is one of the better writers & at his peak, can contend with the upper echelon. He is also one of the more consistent writers & every drop he has never lacks in entertainment value. Geno is looking to not only win some title matches but also looking to be crowned the undisputed champion. The road will be a tough one but if this fire he has stays aflame, we have ourselves a huge threat. Could win 9-10 matches.

4. Split

For Split to be this high in the preseason rankings, some would probably say I'm out of my mind. But Split is a sleeper & he fared very well in the netcees topical league, proving he can match up against anybody. This season will be a major step into the spotlight if Split can continue his ascension, which I feel he will no doubt be able to do. Can he contend against dead man & Cake? We will know soon. Don't let the glasses fool you. The kid can write. Could win 8-9 matches.

5. Frank

Frank is one of the most creative writers in this league & when he is on, barely any can match. The main issue with Frank is how motivated is he to write? Tends to no show & other times, writes average drops that leave the reader scratching their heads. Is Frank motivated to make a run for the crown? Witty is his biggest competition in his division & Rawn can even be a problem. If Frank can be consistent, he can no doubt take it. Could win 7-8 matches.

6. Witty

Very skilled at this craft & can tell a great story. There is no question that Witty can hang with the best. He's been doing it for awhile. Question is how will he fare against the top tier & how far can he go this season? Opens the up against Cake. Makings of a classic, but if he pulls it off, look out. Could win 8-9 matches.

7. Tyson

To all of you up & coming writers, this is the guy you want to follow. Tyson started out as an aspiring writer & has leaped up there as one of the better writers in the league. He pulled out a win against Genocide in a BA topical match, so he can contend with the best if he brings it. Do not sleep on him. Could win 7-8 matches.

8. HelloKitty

One of my favorite writers. Has a habit of no showing or lack of participating but hopefully this season here will be different. NYC can be a threat to anyone. In one of the weakest divisions in the league, I believe the SPITZ can rack up a lot of wins this season. Darkhorse for the league crown. Could win 9-10 matches.

9. Mic Wrecka

Mr. Mic is one of those under the radar guys. His division isn't too difficult, but if he really wants to make a name for himself, a victory against Genocide during the season would be a good statement. Could win 7-8 matches.

10. Nigma

Could win 7-8 matches if he brings a solid effort consistently. An improved writer with great potential. Division is pretty tough with Split & Cake there, so it will be interesting how he does against elite competition.

Alright y'all, that is all for our first edition of the Writers League magazine. Hope you enjoyed the read. This season is looking to be very dope & probably is THE best league on the net right now. Shoutout to Split & Geno for putting the word in for me to help mod the league. Shoutout to all the participants, I hope you all are active & anything you'd like to suggest, the mods are all ears. Til the next edition of the magazine, it's the King signing out. Holler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoR5vvGdO3A

Zen
02-13-2013, 12:54 PM
Dope mag except I should be preseason number 1 lol naw. But really props on this all who put it together

King Ra.
02-13-2013, 12:57 PM
Lol. You can get number 1 if you string some victories together. Rankings based on who I know well. But when the real one comes out it'll be much different. Me & Split both put in work. Next week's will be even better.

Atheist
02-13-2013, 12:59 PM
Top notch read =-) in the end was defo worth the wait. will prob read it a few times tbh lol good work =-)

Coup
02-13-2013, 01:00 PM
LOL @ split's bio....pitiful man, just pitiful..makes me want to cheer you up

edit

this is for sure the best league on the net right now

Nigma
02-13-2013, 01:02 PM
Very nicely done gentlemen. Your time and effort is appreciated

Split
02-13-2013, 01:09 PM
dope job King Keith , came together really nice. awesome assessments and I was gonna say we should do OM Features. A+

lmao @ my terrible editing skills

I forgot pohfig's bio, but he posted it in preseason chat.. something along the lines of "im an apathetic Russian Vulgar"

King Ra.
02-13-2013, 01:12 PM
pohfig the GAWD.

Word, Split, I figured that would be cool to feature OM drops. I believe we should do the same for people who drop a verse & get no showed. Have a little section for it.

Split
02-13-2013, 01:24 PM
dead man cakecakecake Kuja Coup TYSON Genocide Matriarch HelloKitty Rawn MacDon Innovator ZenLand Mr.Sinister Frank @circa Mike Wrecka Nigma bleak Orc Malachi Rayge Camp Bell Witty Dystopian

sorry if i tagged you and you already read. if you don't like your bio/ prediction, it's up to you to take matters into your own hands to change it. I assume pohfig is fuckin, 3PA or PenT uP or someone who's gonna make me look like a fool but yo dat's strait

also, King Keith after or before play-offs we should do Grudge Matches... saw it on another site, seemed really cool. good way to boost activity/ get match-ups between ppl who might not've been able to face each other

LOL @ split's bio....pitiful man, just pitiful..makes me want to cheer you up

edit

this is for sure the best league on the net right now

hahah its in jest. partially. and word, I agree.. it's crazy to be in a league where people dropped BEFORE the deadline, let alone didnt take 2 day extensions haha

Zen
02-13-2013, 01:28 PM
Agreed this is the best league on the net and to state again this truly is a dope mag forreal. Lotta time and effort went into that shit.

PancakeBrah
02-13-2013, 01:30 PM
One of the better mags I've read. Well done.

NYC is a bit low in the rankings in my estimation. Other than that, everything was noice.

Split
02-13-2013, 01:31 PM
Activity is solely based on your participation, so the more you participate, the better the league will run. Remember to sign out if you will not be dropping in any given week. It's better than a no show. We all know that voting is key. The faster votes are done, the smoother we can transition into the next week. You don't have to write a novel of a breakdown, but please, give a thorough explanation. Every writer likes to see how readers feel about their pieces.

QFE

Fart
02-13-2013, 01:44 PM
I'm not even in the league or battle, but, A+ mag. props broo

Anjahl
02-13-2013, 02:03 PM
Good mag. I see you've gotten a match up for Blacketh. Word.

NYCSPITZ
02-13-2013, 03:29 PM
good mag dear

Witty
02-13-2013, 03:44 PM
This was dope, good work bros.

bleak
02-13-2013, 03:44 PM
Split what's your AIM?

Split
02-13-2013, 03:55 PM
Split what's your AIM?
split.eight

bleak
02-13-2013, 04:02 PM
alright well we can do that interview and save it for the next one or somethin

Mike Wrecka
02-13-2013, 04:12 PM
wow impressive mag. dope read. oh and btw its Mike Wrecka never Mic. makes me cringe a bit when I read that. anyway very very dope job fellas. appreciated.

Split
02-13-2013, 04:14 PM
alright well we can do that interview and save it for the next one or somethin

sure ill be on AIM later

Frank
02-13-2013, 05:23 PM
Thanks for this opportunity. I will not recycle 8 year old verses and fuck with peoples perception of my skill level any longer.

Zygote knows whatsup.

Shout out to the core.

I hope I can get inspired amongst you.

King Ra.
02-13-2013, 05:35 PM
Do the damn thing Frank. Do the damn thing.

Geno
02-13-2013, 05:36 PM
Sickest mag ever. Big props for this one guys

And I was fucking GONNNNNE @ the bags sonning dagel/killer aries reference. Lmaooooooo

Frank
02-13-2013, 05:57 PM
Do the damn thing Frank. Do the damn thing.

Cool Keith. I will try to regain my composure and make something worthwhile out of thin air. Truth be told I have not wrote a damn thing since I pulled that victory against Zygote. Guess you can say I've been resting on my laurels. I am a Giant in a slumber my brother. May your words spark my revolution.

I will dedicate this weeks piece to you.

For you are my imaginary sponsor.

Mike Wrecka
02-13-2013, 06:28 PM
Frank your search for inspiration has inspired me

to go hard in the paint

for that I thank you kind sir

let us collide indeed

Vulgar
02-13-2013, 08:36 PM
Tight mag guys. Thanks for the mention. Big ups and respect to your efforts.

Geno
02-13-2013, 08:40 PM
Big V!

Whuddup g. We need to collab soon. Just an idle statement for now. But still.. we do.

Inno
02-13-2013, 09:08 PM
good mag fellas...props on the effort tho

NYCSPITZ
02-13-2013, 09:10 PM
this was pretty epic tbh tho

Frank
02-14-2013, 02:45 AM
Frank your search for inspiration has inspired me

to go hard in the paint

for that I thank you kind sir

let us collide indeed

Ok Michael, ok

Frank
02-14-2013, 02:47 AM
Time to dance. Ready when you are.

Nigma
02-14-2013, 02:59 AM
Big V!

Whuddup g. We need to collab soon. Just an idle statement for now. But still.. we do.

Menage et trois?

EDIT: Tyson, you better show, got my eye on you

dead man
02-14-2013, 11:39 AM
worth the wait. thorough, well rounded and personable. i lol'd at a good amount of the bio's. great way to kickoff a fresh league on a fresh site.

NYC as dark horse for champ couldn't be more true imo

lets do dis shit

Frank
02-14-2013, 02:58 PM
Yo dead man.

Happy valentines day you black hearted motherfucker

dead man
02-15-2013, 02:06 PM
on behalf of black, thank you Ms. Cherry, you fine piece of Maya Angelou-scented pussy.

NYCSPITZ
02-15-2013, 03:29 PM
lmao

Frank
02-15-2013, 06:32 PM
I bet you black is really white. like really really white.

cum shot white even

dead man
02-15-2013, 06:45 PM
dead man is gray

Geno
02-15-2013, 07:17 PM
Black is a hue, a blacketh hue

trap.
02-16-2013, 08:38 PM
I got Kuja to win this whole thing. And hey Kuja, bring CK over here. Thanks.

Split
02-16-2013, 11:57 PM
i dont think we have enough votes to close the week out, so i think battles' stay open another day. i can't vote right now anyways. it feels like i just went facefirst through acoffee table.

Frank
02-17-2013, 09:35 PM
voting is sufficient I think. new match ups should be up tonight.

tomorrows presidents day. no one wants to set up matches on president day.

but the people will write, for it is our first amendment biblical bar duty

now get to it

Frank
02-17-2013, 09:36 PM
verses due thursday, votes due sunday

matches up monday, repeat

monday morning that is

King Ra.
02-17-2013, 10:52 PM
Split Genocide we should close battles tonight. Voting has been solid. I can prep week 2 match ups later, early a.m.

Frank
02-17-2013, 11:04 PM
Get it poppin