PDA

View Full Version : AOWL CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH: pohfig (3-0) VS. Frank (3-0) [FRANK WINS, 4-2.]

King Ra.
03-05-2013, 06:31 AM
AOWL CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH:

pohfig (Platinum) (3-0) versus Frank (Titanium) (3-0)

16 lines minimum, 48 lines maximum.

Verses are due THURSDAY 3/7 at 11:59 PST.

Extensions are due FRIDAY 3/8 at 11:59 PST. NO LATER!!!

You MUST check in.

You must vote on at least 3 other battles and post links. For every absent link, you will be deducted ONE vote next week.

If you no-show, you will be removed from next week and have to sign back into the league.

TOPIC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLyge6ZLUCI

Good luck to both participants. pohfig Frank

Frank
03-05-2013, 03:34 PM
110%

Pent uP
03-06-2013, 10:52 PM
Yup

Frank
03-07-2013, 10:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNd2tYWmENc

thunder

15;
Please excuse my dear aunt sally

This is most definitely mathematics

Put one and one together

Do the math

30:
Mathematics. Pass my glasses. I'm a master at this.
I be in the back of classes. Macking like I had to have it.
Gang of snow bunnies running around like a pack of rabbits
I'm jumping in it. and humping these bitches. Nigga graph my status
I be with the baddest mamacitas on the planet.
Hopping out the black lax, Jet lag, pants sagging.
Yo If I wasn't rapping, none of this would ever happened.
And If I was still trapping. I'd be with Max, Maxin'
I'm price tag snatching. Yeah I'm packing. Yeah I'm flashing.
Don't come to trigonometry and have your ratchet absent.
Yo What is my advancement? Rich? I'm in that bracket
My flow is quadratic, this just a fraction of a fraction
Of a fraction of my talent, what's the chances, talking probability
Your bitch is probably feeling me, what's her math kiid?
Back of the class shiit. I ain't gonna pass thiis.
Now I get X axiis. try and grasp abstractness.

*chorus*

Yeah I put on weight. Million dollars on me now.
Million dollars in 1 hundred dollar bills - 220 pounds.
Absolute value, is going up and down.
Thats just my .2 cent - nine pennies - one ounce.
10, 000 feet above the ground. Yeah I'm in your town.
Flying from New York to London younging. Yeah without a sound
Going 16,000 miles. Concord. I'm in style.
Due to the time zones, by the time I arrive home, I know I will have arrived home 2 hours before announced.
Fashionably late - My cell phone like a numerator.
Y coordinate hoe if you ain't trine do no favors
Bitch I'm trine move to acres, 1000 sq. miles, cubed and catered
Substitute truth, simplify my life, reduce the haters
Every volume of my albums integrable, correlating flows
So the radio has a ratio and I can sit back in class calculate my dough.
I'm taking over. Expanded Notation...
Now I gotta sell my soul. All in the equation...
yo

*chorus*

Number 1. No Co efficient. None
That's the difference in addition to divisions just begun.
Uh.
My heart cold. colder than the winter sun.
Average ice berg weigh 20 million tons.

*bridge*

The surface of any sphere is four times the surface of its greatest circle
I used to pay attention fore I started blazing purple
Sour every hour to the third power, was a radical sign
Now I'm trine park my bentley, in a parallel line
Getting Pi - I'm in my prime, interior angle, acute triangles dangle when I bang you at the right angle - 90's degrees
100,000 heart beats, ass out of proportion - she a exponent
Nothing congruently reciprocal cancels out

explosion

Pent uP
03-08-2013, 12:32 AM
Good Kid in a Mad City

Yo

Walk with me - through the streets lowly aves;
Where the sky is blue and clear but the people are mad.
Stop at the liquor store first for beer, cheetos and snacks.
You got dudes mean muggin like Deebo on blast -
looking like they could crumple and free throw a cab.
...You'll be fine as long as you seem so relaxed.
Then There's bums who build their ego's with daps -
just diss'em and dont drop your palm below their hand.
Don't sleep though - or they'll do more then try to spray threats.
There's mean hoes wincing like they aint seen the light of day yet -
in some club wear - up there acting too fly
and stay jet.
Don't holler though, you seem too high to make sense.
There's dudes with brawns over brains who's minds are wasted
- walking with model bitches acting like they dont like the great sex.
There's driver's - anxious for a piece of that green -
revving their engines like the raised tach increases esteem.
Muscle cars with fucked paint that spent G's on their wheels
but can't afford gas -
Dave Chapelle - keeping it real.
That dealership steals - doing whatever to stack Benjamins -
they want that paper concealed from birth like black presidents.
That taqueria's the shit - the cook's a fat Mexican
who'll hook it up after hours with draft beverages.
There's a guy coming up who freestyles and raps senselessness
but I admire his work in the rest of the crafts elements.
It's not THAT negative - it's just some relevant facts.
There's a breeze in the air and women in flowy sun dresses and hats.
Eye candy and mind brandy run breathlessly fast -
take it all in and start commending the path.
We live a life of perspective - while blind in our ethics.
Wondering why others are weak, or why they're defensive.
Either we're not noteworthy or there's no rhyme to our message.
Live struggling to keep control; or dying to get it.
Some say we're skating by... on a grind to our deathbed.
At a mile a minute I'm surprised we can find a direction.
This world is ours to mold for the sights in our lenses -
but instead we huddle and cluster in lines at the exits.

Adonis
03-09-2013, 01:20 PM
OK...First let me start with....It's a damn shame the First Title Match has zero votes while every other thread has a steady flow of votes. Moving on...

Frank - I like the surrounding theme of mathematics. I was a bit lost initially about there being two beats, but my slow mind caught on soon enough...It flowed with the beat for the most part, but you slipped a few times in 2nd and third verses.

Calculate my dough Line could have been re worded some how to make it more fluid.

Also at a few points it seemed like the rhyme/math concept over powered the actual meaning of bars...

That's the difference in addition to divisions just begun.///Now I'm trine park my bentley, in a parallel line

neither of these truly make sense to me, the wording in the first is wrong or something, not a proper sentence. The 2nd is just blah....seemed like a throw in to for math concept sake. You also had some intelegent bars...

Getting Pi - I'm in my prime, interior angle, acute triangles dangle when I bang you at the right angle - 90's degrees

Flow was a bit off IMO, but the concept behind this line I like. I took it as you saying your style is from the 90's when hip-hop existed instead of what is now.

All in all, ok verse. Seems like a lot of flexing going around this week which I usually hate, but even I did so to an extent. I think some polishing up on each line could have up graded this entire piece from, decent to good.

Pohfig - A verse about people in general and how the world spins pretty much. Not sure if this was set in a concert but I doubt it. First read I looked at the word, "Crumple" and thought typo. Was going to say something, then looked it up..+2 for teaching me something....

There's mean hoes wincing like they aint seen the light of day yet -
in some club wear - up there acting too fly
and stay jet

Something isn't clicking with me here, maybe the "up" or "wear" is supposed to be "where"? IDK but I don't get this at all. Like it aint even english and shit...Props for word usuage again "tach" :thumbsup: Upon second read I get the bolded bar, just think the word "up" is out of place. it's meant to break the sentences, yet up should be another word but it's there to connect jet/fly...not a fan but its makes sense.

they want that paper concealed from birth like black presidents.

Line of the match easy...had me audible LOL...

vote-Poh His verse was more down my alley, to me his was deeper, flowed better and had superior imagery and word usuage. Good battle.

ZeeDee
03-09-2013, 04:01 PM
Frank, the flow was there and I was able to follow the content, but there wasn't really much to the content. It seemed to follow the standard brag about life kinda song usually heard on the radio, but in text, which isn't a good thing to be compared to. The math you used was just basic knowledge and not used to convey any real message... all this really shows is you know what math is and that you know how to rhyme. Id expect more from a champ match honestly... I'm hoping that you just didn't have time to write this week and this is just an effot to not no show. I can obviously see you have skills, but the effort wasn applied in this verse. There was 2 elements that I liked about ur verse and that was u went in song mode with a chous and you showed some cool rhymes within it as well. Content wise,this wasn't a good display imo..

Pohfig, you're kinda jumping all over the place within your content and the narration kinda reads like you didn't know where this was going til it got there, but it got there. The slight humor and carefree attitude is expressed and the flow was on point as well. It was smooth to read to the beat even tho that beat is weak and I don't like mos def at all.... using a lot of relateable examples for us all to get at least most of your content was done with some cleverness and I can appreciate that. Your ending actually wrapped it up nice enough for me to be happy with the it overall.

Vote pohfig for better content, narration, flow and overall message.

Mike Wrecka
03-10-2013, 11:10 AM
yo very dope battle here. worthy of the champ match

it was not the typical topical battle. that sounds cool typical topical. im trademarking that but I digress

frank- man the flow was sick. it was swaggy but stayed on topic at the same time. you really brought the mathematics topic into the street. it was an awesome verse. it was swag and flowish. but the math element made it seem like so much more. worked with the beat.

pohfig- you had an equally well flowing piece. another awesome verse. I really enjoyed it. it was also street and meshed very well with the beat. a good overview of life in the hood.

overall- very close battle. props to both. they put on a show. but I gotta vote and my vote goes to Frank. his verse had a little more charm. and kept my interest a bit more. the math element put it over the top.

vote- Francis

Zen
03-10-2013, 12:58 PM
Holy shit mad props to both guys. Read this when both guys first dropped and reread them now for a better vote so let's get to it.
Frank: Kind of crazy concept here like you do everyweek but god damn did it work. Bringing math into the streets haha. Dope. The rhyme scheming was ill as well with multis dispersed throughout the piece which only helped to better get this concept across to the reader. Props Frank.
pohfig: Great verse. This piece gave off some intense imagery of the struggling life on the street. Dope content. The scheming of this piece was dope as well. It flowed perfectly and gave the message you were trying to portray perfectly. Another good piece from you.

Overall I gotta say that both guys came even this week forreal. Both deserve to be here so props to both. So after saying that I gotta vote on who I enjoyed the most, and that's gotta be Frank

veritas
03-10-2013, 02:09 PM
this is no hate at all to pent up's work, it was clean and excellent......but frank was genius. His mathematical wordplay was amazing. The concepts were top notch, and unique and original. Also his swag was kicking, and his flow was strong. The way he incorporated the wordplay was just too top notch for me, and like I said, no hate to pent, it was a dope verse...but when I finished with frank's i was like "damn".

vote frank

Split
03-11-2013, 01:24 AM
Vote

Split
03-11-2013, 01:48 PM
This was a very very dope matchup

Pohfig.. More swag than I was expecting.. Some of those lines are siggable, flowed on beat and didnt feel stale, had that Mos Def incredibly spontaneous yet polished feel. Structure and scheming was A+, content was a cool little skate down Lincoln Ave where the minister slips twentys for 40s and drinks Colt with his masses. It was a cool jaunt, but the diction and images weirdly contrasted like it was too stilted.. Really minor issue, just a note really.

Frank. The repetition worked well, the wordplay was really cool and worked both ways. It was a cool take on the original anthem, I really liked your syllable rhyming this week- sometimes it's too thick for the content but here it really linked your lyrics in a fresh manner, like the last stanza was delivered perfectly. Some of the wp got too heavy, but still it was dope how you used numbers and math to relay facts with metaphors, like you was true because everything equaled out.

This was a close match... Pohfig had the edge in quotes and impact.. But Franks energy and delivery was notably more enjoyable.. Furthermore felt like Frank was more ambitious in his approach- made the song his own and made it more despite taking what may seem the "easy" path of using Mathematics to build a story... I really appreciated Frank's powerful metaphors and more solid message that was a little harder to relate to than Pohfig's preaching narrator. By the end of Franks verse he'd really picked up steam and ended with a satisfying snap/ Chris Rock mic drop

V/ Frank

King Ra.
03-12-2013, 06:05 PM
I'm sorry fellas, disappointing that we couldn't get more votes.

Frank is AOWL's first champion.

FRANK WINS, 4-2.