PDA

View Full Version : topic announcement!!!

Geno
03-05-2013, 07:06 PM
The instrumental is your topic
Not the title of the track..

Listen to it, write what you feel, title it. You do not have to write based on the title of the track unless you reallyy want to.

Split
03-05-2013, 07:07 PM
I think pohfig was just being a smartass

Geno
03-05-2013, 07:08 PM
I didn't even see what he said. I'm just making this thread for those who don't know/understand what to do.

TYSON
03-05-2013, 07:20 PM
Yea this will be a challenge. I am excited tho its different then I'm used to.

Pent uP
03-05-2013, 09:14 PM
I think pohfig was just being a smartass
No I wasnt. Do u know how hard it is to convey your flow to voters thru text?

I think its a stupid topic category

Edit: im willing to bet half the voters will say something stupid like "I couldn't match the flow to the beat you suck"

Split
03-05-2013, 09:17 PM
I always thought catching someone's flow was easy. Doing it well is different

Inno
03-05-2013, 09:32 PM
pohfig gots a point...

what if i write something a certain way but say it differently...what i mean is.
since we are fitting our words onto a beat..we have to mold it to the beat...so what if voters
simply forget about that...

i mean unless you going to allow for people to record this and post it along with the verse itself..

i think the voting will be a bit skewed

Split
03-05-2013, 09:38 PM
You know the idea of meter right? Consonance, assonance, alliteration... punctuation... its not hard to pick up on imo, I see slant rhymes then realize they're British or something and reread it

Mike Wrecka
03-05-2013, 09:39 PM
people have to read every verse with that battles beats playin

TYSON
03-05-2013, 09:53 PM
Its a fresh look at how we been doing topical this season. Keeps the league interesting. Im looking at it like this the beat is the topic. The different sounds in the beat will be my muse that leads me to my topic. People catching your flow will be different yes but it shouldnt matter too much if your piece is still sick, word. I have never wrote off a beat I have a internal beat I ride on.

Inno
03-05-2013, 10:09 PM
You know the idea of meter right? Consonance, assonance, alliteration... punctuation... its not hard to pick up on imo, I see slant rhymes then realize they're British or something and reread it

fuck you

Pent uP
03-05-2013, 10:46 PM
What if I decide to double time every 3rd bar?
Theres a lot that will be lost in translation is my point. But im ok with it overall I just dont like it.

Ink
03-06-2013, 12:14 AM
^ i'm not writing my verse to the beat at all.. i listened to it so i could interpret the mood and tone to guide my subject matter, but my verse isn't going to be intended to be read while the beat is playing..

... unless we're supposed to do that.. are we?

Split
03-06-2013, 12:46 AM
What if I decide to double time every 3rd bar?
Theres a lot that will be lost in translation is my point. But im ok with it overall I just dont like it.

haha word.. blame that the voters i guess. were basically writing really long intense poems

Sharp
03-06-2013, 12:51 AM
I swear I had this sort of idea on NC but endsane talked me out of doing an OM like that. only it was with this piano piece

I'll be peeping this weeks shit

let me know if you need more tracks to write about, I had a bunch of non-hiphop shit that I felt like people could go really write-y with

Rawn M.D.
03-06-2013, 01:28 AM
this =m gr8 idea imo...

i actually thought about doing this with the NC league, but I decided against it...but im very happy it was implemented

good sht King Keith

edit: this will b a problem to all those who write verbose, if u make ur sht concise and match ur syllables and account for kicks n snares, ull b fine...ppl generally catch my flow fairly easy...i unno should b interesting. As for double time. as long as ur syllables match on ur 3rd and 6th and 9th, i think itll convey itself...I've wrote double time in text (likke ur saying, not the entire pz but parts) and everyone knew it was double time'd; just b congruent with ur sht.

King Ra.
03-06-2013, 06:41 AM
IMO I believe that in writing to the instrumental, your verses should not be based on entirely "flowing" to the beat but rather it should be based on what direction you go storytelling wise & how well were you able to mesh your story to the instrumental given. If this is based solely on who flows to the beat better then I don't see how this would work. All battles should be judged solely of the entirety of the piece given to the beat & not so much on whether it flows perfectly or not.

Since this is the first season of the AOWL, don't be surprised at the different challenges being dished each week because we are experimenting ideas at the same time to see what will work and what needs to improve. People complained about the pictures they were given week 2, but at the same time I read writers who were able to put something together. Writers should always be ready for any challenge in this league.
Rawn MacDon this instrumental idea wasn't exactly mines. Genocide brought up the idea to use beats this week and I agreed with the idea. Definitely big ups to him & Split for making this thing happen.

Geno
03-06-2013, 06:48 AM
IMO I believe that in writing to the instrumental, your verses should not be based on entirely "flowing" to the beat but rather it should be based on what direction you go storytelling wise & how well were you able to mesh your story to the instrumental given. If this is based solely on who flows to the beat better then I don't see how this would work. All battles should be judged solely of the entirety of the piece given to the beat & not so much on whether it flows perfectly or not.

Since this is the first season of the AOWL, don't be surprised at the different challenges being dished each week because we are experimenting ideas at the same time to see what will work and what needs to improve. People complained about the pictures they were given week 2, but at the same time I read writers who were able to put something together. Writers should always be ready for any challenge in this league.
Rawn MacDon this instrumental idea wasn't exactly mines. Genocide brought up the idea to use beats this week and I agreed with the idea. Definitely big ups to him & Split for making this thing happen.

This.

Geno
03-06-2013, 06:51 AM
Also.. flow doesn't play a big part. The biggest thing is what the writer does conceptually with the beat. Create a tiltle and write something based on the vibe that the beat gives. Its not so much about the voters flowing your shit to the beat.. its about the creativity that the beat provides the writer. Everyone gets a different feel based on different instrumentals. Fuck flowing to the beat. Voters should hear the beat. Then read the piece. Whoever conceptually slays the beat better/has a better story/whatever. Is the one who should get the vote.

Make more sense folks?

King Ra.
03-06-2013, 07:01 AM
dead man Kuja ZenLand zygote Split TYSON Boredom pohfig Red glare Ink IamBenT Adonis Mike Wrecka Vinzr Innovator Nigma Mac Rawn MacDon patrown Frank ZeeDee bleak Aesthetic c.d.m. Pryde

Read Geno's post and take it into consideration. This is not about flowing to the beat perfectly. Zen & Zy, you both dropped but if you feel your verse doesn't meet these standards, feel free to edit your pieces.

Vinzr
03-06-2013, 07:05 AM
Damn hard task, pretty much the beat sets the tone for my topical. Not like i can write a sad depressing topical while the instrumental is a cheerful melody. Oh well i always appreciate a challenge!

King Ra.
03-06-2013, 07:10 AM
Put that mind of yours to work, man!!!

Rawn M.D.
03-06-2013, 11:11 AM
I do this all everytime I choose a beat to record too..

i eather let the beat speak to me...

or my concept speak to beat selection

usually the former....because the latter allows for much more options...

but yeah I already knew all this Genocide, King Keith, Split - I just discussed flow bc that was the main complaint.

Adonis
03-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Well damn...wish I saw this thread before I posted...but I'm somewhat happy with the work so it is what it is...