PDA

View Full Version : ABL Mag, Inaugural Edition- 8/22/06

God Of War
01-24-2013, 12:14 AM
08-21-06

Intro

Well, here we have our first season of Anotha's Battle League. Now I just want to let everyone know
that writing a mag can be a bitch, so at least take the time and read it and drop some feedback
guys. Well, we're about to commence and shit's already lookng DOPE SAUCEY.. everyone better
bring their A game or else you'll get WHORED and what i mean by that is.. your ass kicked. This league
will be one that consists of 12 weeks and then playoff's, we will start crowning regular season champ
on the 4th week of battles, so guys step your gonna have to bring nothing less than heat if you want to
reach the champ match on that 4th week! We will hold rankings and update them every week as the
season progresses, starting on the 4th week we will also have a contendorship match every week,
which will consist of the 3rd and 4th ranked battlers going at it for a shot at the championship the
following week. This league is looking dope as I said so guys make sure you don't No - Show and
that you have your voting Links every week. WOOORD! -Nyce

Battler Profiles
-By Te Ora
MIC REKKIN BASTARD
Most improved coming into this. He’s been working with a new steez recently and it’s paid dividends. In a recent battle with T.O he proved he could hang with the big boys, and is looking likely to be a front runner in the league. If he continues to elevate he could claim a few big scalps by the time this is all said and done. Does have the tendency to come with some pretty played ideas but is solid in most other aspects.

Te Ora
Over the period of time he has been at Anotha he has done his thing. The most respected battler on the site. Expect him to come hard, and motivated to win this whole league. I'm looking forward to reading his verses. He's got a dope steeze with some fire punchlines but slips in played lines here and there. He's gonna be a force in this league. Opponents better not sleep on him or you'll surely regret it. -By: Nyce

Nyce
The man to beat. Probably the most experienced battler in the league, and arguably the most elevated. Has a big ego, and doesn’t always come his best, but may prove unbeatable if he puts in a concerted effort.
Joe Native
Inconsistent but improving. Has the tendency to half ass, but when he comes his best is one of the better battlers on the site. Knows how to identify dope lines and is half way towards writing them himself. Look for him to be in it at the end as long as he doesn’t get lazy.

Pyr0
This league could be an eye opener for him. He’ll either swim or sink. I estimate he’ll do the latter, but hopefully he proves me wrong. Inexpeirienced, and comes in with a lot to prove.

Fohkus
Some say he’s fallen off, but I question whether he was ever truly on. Shows improvement in spurts, before reverting back to old habits. Needs to concentrate on coming fresher, and needs to be less reliant on metaphors. It will be interesting to see how he fares.

da big glassman
Shows good potential. Still pretty rough around the edges, but is starting to nail down the basics. His wording leaves a lot to be desired, and he does require work in most aspects of battling. That being said the signs are promising, and he could be a playoff contender.

Sin
Has a big ego, and is known to talk a lot of trash. If he takes this seriously and addresses certain aspects, most notably concepts for his punches, he could be decent by the end of this. Looking likely to languish at the bottom of the league though.

MC J3RSEY
Another who is thought to have fallen off, but is more likely just struggling with consistency and maybe trying to shake off a little rust. Brings a point of difference to the league in how he writes his punchlines, focusing more on gunplay than wordplay. It’s a style that works for him, and always has since he first came to the site. Look for him to be a challenge once he gets a few matches under his belt.

sp!tf!r3
Has been working with a new steez recently. I think his success in the league depends on how well he perfects this new style. Doesn’t have too much issues with the mechanics of battling, and posts some witty lines at times. Needs to eliminate explanations from his verses. Could be a front runner.

BIG.UK.
Pretty much in to make up the numbers. Hasn’t showed much battling prowess, or anything to suggest he’ll do much better than a couple wins. Comes in with everything to prove

prozpekt
Seems to have come out of no where, and is rated, if not overrated, by many. He does show raw talent, but needs to work on his wording and coming more direct. He shows good creativity at times, and could be a playoff contender if he decides to include personals in his verses. One of the more interesting cases in the league.

Tha Menace
Has been showing improvement and a real willingness to elevate. At times he can get a bit complacent and rush his verses, but usually shows well. He has good original concepts most times, although his wording can take away from how hard he connects. Once he’s ironed out these flaws he should easily make the playoffs.

MC Dangerous
Has a penchant for posting “OWN3D”, but is yet to fully achieve this through his verses. Defintley underrated and could be the surprise package of the league. Being primarily an audio head, he does tend to come with a few concepts that are considered played in text but is adequate in most other aspects. I look forward to seeing his progress in the league.

Fletcha
Not expected to do well. To be honest I haven’t seen much of him around anotha’s battle scene, and defintley nothing of late. He’s known for being a committed dude and if he sticks it out he could elevate by the end.

Franchise
Has showed marked improvement recently. Has finally moved away from the stretched ‘complexity’ steez that was once so popular on anotha, although his wording can still be a bit average. Has announced he will only be involved in the ABL on anotha so is expected to put in a full effort. Could challenge for the playoffs.

Synister
Recently made a comeback to anotha. Can have standout lines at times, but his below average ones generally outnumber them. Tends to place multi’s over punches, and needs to eliminate explanations from his verses. Might battle in the Top 10, but a playoff position is doubtful unless he elevates.

Jon
It’s questionable how much time and effort he is going to be able to invest to battling in the league, seeing his son has just arrived. When he has these things he is one of the better battlers on anotha, although he does focus on multi’s too much at times. He too is working with a new steez, and it’s questionable whether he has had enough time to master it. As long as he finds the time to write Jon should make the playoffs.

Dilated Eyes
Has elevated recently but still has a long way to go. His punches have become a lot stronger conceptually but can be played, and worded poorly. Will need to elevate to reach the Top 10.

Bob
Was elevating before he vanished from the scene. From what I’ve seen his lines did tend to come off a bit statement-like and he did seem to focus more on multi’s. May encounter the rust of not battling for awhile early on, but should be back on track by the time the league is done.

Te Ora Interview
-By JonJon

Jon
So Te Ora what gave you the idea, or the inspiration to start up the Anotha Battle League?

God Of War
01-24-2013, 12:15 AM
Te Ora
Just viewing the other leagues around the net, and seeing how they helped battlers realise potential. We haven't really had anything text wise that is really organized since $$ was running tournaments, and I thought this would give text battlers a place to show their talent

Do you think all other tournaments have failed since $$ stopped running them?

I don't think we've ever had a tournament that hasn't reached it's completion, but all because they get to the end doesn't mean it was a success. I feel they've all had inconsistencies rule wise which have caused disputes. For most of them the judges were people who really didn't know much about battling, and I think we've managed to remedy that for the ABL

Do you think this is better organized? and how sure are you that this league has been organized properly?

I defintley think this is better organized. I know this. I remember speaking to former tournament runners when they'd posted their sign up threads and then asking them how is this and that going to work and them being all "dam, I don't know.. I never thought of that". I don't think any of the hosts have put as much thought into a tournament or league on this site, as I have for this one. I've gotta give propz to Nyce though. He helped out a lot with how this would be run and would work. That fag practically lives in battle leagues so his advice on how it should work n shit was pretty helpful

Is everything going to plan at the moment witht the set-up of the league?

Thus far it's all going to plan. We're actually getting this started a week earlier than we thought we would

Who will be running, and helping with the league?

Me & you will be hosting. MIC REKKIN BASTARD and especially Nyce have helped with setting this up, and will be helping with modding

What do you hope will come out of this league? what do you hope to achieve by the end of it?

I hope we get a core of say 10 battlers up to a good level. I hope everyone in it elevates. We're looking to crown the best text battler on this site, but we're mainly looking to elevate everyone involved

Do you think its going to be close between any 2 or three people or basically everyone has a chance of winning it?

I think dudes like Fohkus, Menace, Joe Native, sp!t are ganna elevate real quick and will be real competitive by the time playoffs come around. I think it's pretty wide open leading in, everyone is of similar skill level really

In the rules you say the league is for fun, but yet, you state you will try and get anybody banned that no-shows twice, do you think that is fair?

That was more a scare you into showing the fuck up tactic. I doubt I'd be able to get you banned, but if your ganna sign up to a league you really should show up. No shows have ruined most other tournaments and leagues on this site before. I don't want that to happen to this one

Do you not think that maybe, battlers will get bored, as the league will take more than 12 weeks to complete?

I hope not, I guess we'll see. The plan is to introduce the championship about a month in, which should create extra interest and competition. We're hoping the dudes not in the Top 10 will strive to get into it, and that'll keep competition fierce. Theres plans to have special stipulation weeks which should keep competitors entertained too

What if you find yourself in a difficult situation, being a battler and a co-host, what if something argumentative happens in one of your battles, how will you sort that out?
Bitching in threads will not be tolerated. If you do that you will lose votes. There is going to be a chat thread each week we're you can bitch all you want, so there'll be no excuse for arguing in battles

What if theirs an argument about your battle, in the chat thread . . . . .How will you sort that out?

About my battle? The chat thread will be for shit like that. I guess if it gets too out of hand I'll just close the thread

how do you think your gonna do?

I want to win this one man. Anything other than 1st place will be a dissapointment for me. I haven't really put much effort into text battling for while, but I'm planning to here.

who do you think will win in the following battles

MRB vs. Nyce
MC J3RSEY vs. JonJonOyes
Fohkus vs. Synister
Spitfire vs. Te Ora
Bob vs. Fletcha

MRB v Nyce - Nyce
MC J3RSEY vs. JonJonOyes - Jon
Fohkus vs. Synister - Fohkus
Spitfire vs. Te Ora - Me
Bob vs. Fletcha - Bob

iight Te Ora Thanks for your time and Good Luck with the Anotha Battle League

Iigh thanks fo' the interview foo'

Power Rankings
-By Te Ora
Who's in a position of power leading into rankings week..?

10. da big glassman
Has shown improvements of late and if he puts it all together could surprise his opponent. Looks likely to pounce leading in.

9. Jon
Would be rated higher but hasn’t dropped his best in a hot minute now. Goes in as the underdog against Nyce, this could very well bring out the best in him.

8. Joe Native
Would be rated higher if it weren’t for a dip in form recently. Inconsistent battler who drops well just as much as he drops weak.

7. MC J3RSEY
Faces one of the top young guns in prozpekt. This could make him up his game, and bring him back to his best. Not to be underestimated.

6. Fohkus
A bit on and off. Is expected to win against Fletcha, and should be able to put together his best for the league. Look for him to move up if he elevates.

5. sp!tf!r3
Has the easiest match of the week. Fairly consistent, and basically gets a free verse to work with his new steez and become more comfortable with it. Look for him to put it all together in week 2.

4. -ThaMenace-
Hasn’t been battling as much of recent, and could go in a little undercooked. Another with an easier match and opportunity to get warmed up before week 2. Consistently improving.

3. MIC REKKIN BASTARD
Consistently elevating. Looks a safe bet against Bob. Look for him to show well, with the prospect of a rematch with Te Ora looking likely for next week.

God Of War
01-24-2013, 12:15 AM
2. Te Ora
Might be the only one who can challenge Nyce at this stage. Rust COULD be a problem, but is consistent and has an easier first match.

1. Nyce
One half of the match of the round against Jon. A consistent performer who will be confident heading into the league.

Week 1 Predictions.

Te Ora Vs. Dilated Eyes

This could shape up to be one of the more interesting battles in the premier week of the ABL. Both battlers know how to throw a punch and hurt their opponent. As of now I’m putting my money on Te Ora, seeing as how duke is a more experienced battler and IMO is one of the best on the site when it comes to wording concepts so that they do their maximum damage. He’s just one step ahead of Dilated’s game However, there’s always room for an upset here as Te Ora knows he’s the better battler and may come too weak, underestimating Dilated Eyes. Also, Dilated Eyes can surprise with some hard punches. If Dilated concentrates hard and comes up with some fire punches he could take the win depending on what TO does. But coming into this battle, I have to go with

V/ Te Ora by knockout
-By: MRB

Nyce Vs. JonJonOyes
This will no doubt be one of the most interesting battles this week. Both Nyce and JonJonOyes are experienced battlers that know what they’re doing when they write a verse. I’m gonna go into this battle predicting Nyce is going to win this thing, cuz the dude’s got skill. I think his punches will just come harder over JonJons. However this battle, much like Te Ora Vs. Dilated Eyes has plenty of room for an upset. Nyce is notorious for coming half ass. I honestly think I have yet to see the dude come as hard as he can in a battle, and wouldn’t be surprised if this wasn’t the same case. JonJon is gonna have to work hard tho, seeing as how he’s got a tendency to focus more on multies than punches. He’s gonna have to come with some raw ass punches if he wants to take this, but I think its possible that he could pull it off if nice comes half assed again.

V/ Nyce by a 2-3 vote margin if he comes soft and Jon comes hard.

Joe Native Vs. Synister

This battle will also be one of the highlights of the league IMO it will be the closest/ Both battlers are pretty equaled IMO. Joe Native is a comparable MC who can come with some dopeness when he works for it. Synister just might edge this though because the dude can come with some hot shit. I think Joe can definitely stack up, but his verses aren’t as consistent as far as dope punches go when compared to Synister. Synister wont take an easy win though. Tho his verses haven’t been the most consistent, Joe himself IS consistently improving in his battles. If Joe puts a lot of work into this he can definitely take a win. Both battlers will have to come hard if they want to take this.

V/ Synister edging it

Pyr0 Vs. Franchise

I got my money on Franchise because the last thing I saw him write actually had some pretty dope punches. Also, Pyr0 comes pretty weak seeing as how he apparently doesn’t really know how to write a punch. Franchise is just a better battler IMO so I see him taking the win

V/ Franchise by Knockout

Sp!tf!r3 Vs. Big U.K.

Ok here's how I see it, unless Big U.K. can pull a miracle out of his ass.. I don't see him winning this, spit's pretty decent.. he's an up and comer in my opinion, still has a lot to learn but he's developing nicely and could be a big dawg once this league reaches the playoffs, big U.K. you need to work on some clever conceps and some nice wording and PUNCHES if you hope of winning this battle.

V/ Sp!t

MC Jersey Vs. Prozpekt

Close battle here, i haven't too much from jersey but from what i read he doesn't impress me very much, prozpekt is decent at wordplay and stuff but from what I seen he likes that stretched bar style and thats all just wack to me, hopefully both you drop clean and this will be interesting.. might be the closest battle in all of week 1 but I'm gonna say prozpekt is taking it.

V/Prozpekt

Sin Vs. TheMenace

TheMeance is nice.. he's one of the better dudes on this site, Sin isn't all that good.. he is the definite underdog coming into this battle. I say menace takes this one easily, Sin don't let that discourage you though.. drop hard and make me eat my words.

V/ Menace

Da Big Glassman Vs. MC Dangerous

DBG is elevating at a pretty nice pace here at the site, when I first came he didnt know how to throw a punch now he adds some nice ones to his verses here and there, it will be interesting to see what how he develops and grows. MC Dangerous i really haven't read much from.. he doesn't battle often. DBG battles pretty often around the site so I see DBG taking this over a rusty MC Dangerous.

V/ Da Big Glassman

Fohkus Vs. Fletcha

Alotta people say Fohkus is falling off.. well, to tell you guys the truth, I thought he was elevating lol, his first recent drops i peeped i wasn't really feeling at all but then he started having some nice punches every now and then of course followed by some really played ones. Fletcha I don't think he really is the battling type.. I never see him around the battle section and tried serching for a battle of his but couldn't find a single one.

V/ Fohkus

Mic Rekkin Bastard Vs. Bob

To tell you the truth, I don't even know who Bob is, hopefully he's dope and contributes to the league.. or hopefully he wants to get better and drops on time and votes because he will elevate immensely if he rides out the season. MRB is pretty nice.. look for him to be in the playoff's, he just had a battle against Te Ora in which he lost but nonetheless dropped some nice shit.. hopefully he keeps it up and keeps improving.

V/ MRB

Outro

Well, everythings set guys. Now it's all up to you to come week in and week out and drop your hardest, I wanna see what kinda damage you guys ca do. I think this league will be alot of fun and you guys will get a big learning experience from it. Don't half ass verses drop hard each week, don't NO SHOW.. vote on your battles and just keep the rythm of the league at an ultimate high. besides from that, just have fun. No bitching, this is for fun so let's elevate and have fun all in the same time, I think we have a nice core of textcees and you 20 are the best in Anotha right now, hence why we picked you guys.. well I'm out ya'll and Check-in to your battles ASAP. I wish the best of luck to all. Drop hard as fuck!