PDA

View Full Version : ABL Mag, Week 2 Edition - 8/29/06 by Te_Ora

God Of War
01-24-2013, 12:21 AM
08-30-06

Te Ora (http://www.anotha.com/member.php?u=36)

Intro
-T.O
OMGZ! it seems we've made it past week one and with *shock, horror* a grand total of seven of you showing up by the deadline! after being granted an extra 24 hours another eight of you managed to drop verses, with a further five failing to take advantage of this extension http://www.anotha.com/images/smilies/mad.gif. you might say that that's a pretty nice recovery from what looked like could be a real debacle, but you'd be ignoring the overall quality of the verses. most of you dropped the equivalent of no show verses. because of this a verse of the week hasn't been awarded (i'm far too modest to give it to myself http://www.anotha.com/images/smilies/cool.gif ) and a battle of the week hasn't been either. you should all aim to show your best each week, not doing so merely slows your elevation. with that being said let's take a look at this weeks action..

Battle Reviews

1. MIC REKKIN BASTAD Vs. 20. Bob
bob no-shows, and MRB wins by default

2. Te Ora Vs. 19. Dilated Eyes.
both showed here, pretty one sided matchup.. dilated still has alot to learn, and he shouldn't bold his text although he had some decent concepts that he mighta been able to pull off had he worded them right.. Te Ora took the win and all the votes in this one.

3. Nyce Vs. 18. JonJonOyes
both showed here in this one also, pretty decent battle.. jon had some cliche's but he couldnt get the usage down on them and they merely hit. I had a rushed verse because i was out drinking and made it home past the deadline. Hope you bring fire next week Jon, it was a cool match.

4. Joe Native Vs. 17. Synister
Synister no shows, Joe Native wins by default.

5. Pyr0 Vs. 16. Franchise
this battle was pretty weird but i kind of enjoyed it. both of them had nice short bars with decent flowage in them, not many punches which ended up hurting the two, mostly pyr0 as he lost this one, that hell out of here line was the best in this battle, props to both for showing.

6. Fohkus Vs. 15. Fletcha
decent ish here, Fohkus had some cool concepts at some points but his wording was a problem. Fletcha didnt really have a single punch and he should really stop bolding his rhymes, lol. thats elementary shit i.m.o. no offense, but i liked that his bars werent stretched and ish, but you gotta add punches man.. they are ESSENTIAL, anyways... the proving you right bar was a nice personal. but yeah, fohkus ended up coming out on top in this one.

7. Da Big Glassman Vs. 14. MC Dangerous
both lose but will get a chance to redeem themselves. if they no show again they'll be in a hole too deep to get out of.

8. Sin Vs. 13. -ThaMenace-
Sin no shows and is replaced out of the league.. and menace gets no show shine for the week. props dude, and sin FUCK YOU

9. MC J3RSEY Vs. 12. Prozpekt
decent battle here, definately the closest one this week. Jersey had a more personal verse, some of his wording was off and the punches he tried were pretty wack.. but his personals were decent.. prozpekt came with a cool verse i mean, i hate the stretched style and shit. dude had decent meta's and ish but he some of them were kinda corny or forced. in the end Jersey won and prozpekt got one vote.

10. Sp!tf!r3 Vs. 11. westkeptsecret
pretty clear here, spit had a better verse it was more polished but some of the punches in there i wasnt feeling and the cox wordplay was used by my great grandfather. but westkept lacked punches and its better to bring bad punches than no punches at all kids. this was an ehh battle, but spit came out on top. the grate line was pretty cool though. & westkept just keep at it man, read some battles so you get a feel of what punches are and try to bring out some concepts next week.

Top 12 Punches.

Menace To Sin
Sin is known only to talk trash and spew out curses
The first half of that is true only to his verses

Dilated Eyes To Te Ora
an ya said ya make art wit words, but that aint -saying- -much
cuz if ya were refering ya lyrics to art..ya -paintings- -suck-!

Jon To Nyce
usin street talk so you can chalk out your life
''No man is an island''
but yet everyone manages to walk over nyce

Fohkus To Fletcha
Got ya like bad pick up lines, cause u'll never be able to hit this
N ya bitch is as clear as day, cause everything's open for buisness

spitfire To westkeptsecret
Zero to zero, please just check-in abate
Like a rushed cheese shredder...
...you're only seconds to grate

prozpekt To Jersey
These~Days Aint~Many~Thats~Sick so if "youre Jones'n for a squeeze~play", better Shake~Jennys~Fat~Tits
bert gets worse trying to Make~Any~Damage so like kids from southpark, You Shouldnt Take~Kenny~Chances!!

Fohkus To Fletcha
N you like counting wars...cause you never fuckin one in a fight
U don't think u'll do well in the league, n im just prooving u right

Te Ora To Dilated Eyes
your not smart.. should drop nothing instead of your rhymes
it's like your in august and i'm in december..
i'm THAT far ahead of your time

Franchise To Pyr0
This site is ‘hot’ man its promisinly ‘bright’..
Pyro?.. The one who ‘gets the hell outta’ this site..

Jon To Nyce
God loked at nyce and the alphabet, got to 'L' an made that for him
cus like retards in school, Nyce 'D'grades the forum

Jersey To prozpekt
Anywhere you at, Got Hard Rhymes Shit My Flow'll Go There
Like a crowded Six Flags, Them 'Long Lines' Ain't Goin No Where

Te Ora To Dilated Eyes
your punches are avg as fuck.. yet you still paste em for us
you could have nyce hooks.. but ytf would he waste a chorus?

DOPENESS!

-Nyce

Bitch of the Week
i'm not one to pick on individuals..
so it's only fair that i throw all of the no showing assholes under the same blanket! generally this section will be awarded to one person who bitches about votes, groans about the rules, or gays up the chat thread - but this week we had a league with more bitches than a girls night out. i honestly don't care about your excuses - if your going to sign up to a league you should be organized enough to show up ESPECIALLY on the first week. if you were planning to go on a holiday then maybe you should've waited until you got back to sign up. your all lucky i like bitches, because of this some of you were given a second chance. anyone who needed the mass 24 hour extension gets runner up for this prestidgious award http://www.anotha.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

No Show Shine

God Of War
01-24-2013, 12:21 AM
-ThaMenace-

Sin is known only to talk trash and spew out curses
The first half of that is true only to his verses
Thought Sin, hit rock bottom, but he steady decreases
I'd give him a break, but he's already in pieces
He says he's tight on audio, and maybe the kid is right
If he is, just one question, whose lines did he bite
I told em, There's no need to front, just act yourself
I turned around to look and he smacked himself
I eat emcees and today Sin's gonna provide my lunch
I got this easy I got too much pride to punch. . .

. . .Not, I'd offer him a spot
To ride wit my crew but he rides to much

No hate

this week was a bit of a joke. let's take a look at how all of this effects the..

Power Rankings

10. Franchise (newly ranked)
fran didn't completley stink so i gave him a powerful rank.

9. MIC REKKIN BASTARD (-7)
barely managed to show, this bastard wasn't sonning anyone this week. falls 6.

8. Jon (+1)
he didn't show crap like his name might suggest, but didn't do enough to claim the win. seemed a bit cliche happy, and has the spotlight on him in more ways than one this week.

7. Joe Native (+1)
synister wasn't able to steal the win from him, in fact i'm wondering whether fohkus has FINALLY got revenge as he failed to even check in. which is kind of unlikely as we all know how much fohkus hates Native. in between dropping disses Native showed and claimed the no show win, climbing one rank.

6. MC J3RSEY (+1)
showed he can still compete with the proz and looks to be returning to his best. climbs one postition to no. 6.

5. Fohkus (+1)
showed with a fine a verse....... but no where near as fine as that chick in his opponents avatar! somehow managed to remove his eyes from fletcha's check in and dropped nicely. for this he must be commended and advances one position.

4. sp!tf!r3 (+1)
invaded to no. 4 this week after scaring off the UK and managing to keep the west winless. we shall all watch with horror as he continues trekking into enemy teritory, endeavouring further in his quest for world domination!

3. -ThaMenace- (+1)
there's something a dodgy about this guy. he manages to send me messages on msn when i am signed out and very suspicously had an opponent no show this week....... claims the no show shine and advances one position up the rankings.

2. Te Ora (-)
he looked hungry as he Eyed up the win against Dilated. showed with a consistent verse and retains the no. 2 spot for this week.

1. Nyce (-)
Nyce has told us that Hurricane Ernesto is about to hit his city. while his drop wasn't absolute garbage, it did sort of blow. with that being said he did wind up with the win, and breezes through retaining the no 1 power rank.

actual ranks can be found here (http://www.anotha.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13559)

-T.O

Battler Spotlight: JonJonOyes
...As Told to Sp!tf!r3.

Name: JonJonOyes

Last week, JonJonOyes took a devastating loss to Nyce, but this week, he has high hopes for a victory against Pyr0. Only time will tell for this father of one, mentor of many and self-proclaimed "King of Kings." In a rare and candid interview, JonJonOyes opens up about his elevation, the state of Anotha and much more.

On the fondest memories he has of his punchlines:
"Well, I just try to make my punchlines good for others to read. If it satisfies others, it satisfies me. I don't have one thing that sticks out... I have loads."

On giving advice for those with stretched lines:
"Practice makes perfect. Try and read others who use shorter lines. I used to have a lot of words that didn't have to be used, so I took 'em out."

On whether a championship is within reach:
"I believe I came as close as I could with $$$3. I believe I should have won that one. Also, some others thought I should have (won) as well, which was a bummer because most of 'his' votes were friendship votes for him or hate for me. It doesn't really bother me, though. A lot of people like my stuff and that's good enough for me."

On being a total witness for Anotha's lifespan:
"I plan to see even more . . . as long as I can keep improving. I know there will be a time when I pack it in, and stop all the textin'."

On his girlfriend's reaction to the forum:
"We are still an item. We actually plan to get engaged after Christmas this year; I think she has her heart set on me gettin' a diamond ring on the 25th (of) December. For a change, it'll be me on the knee (laughs). Most of the time, she's with me when I'm on it. She hates XU . . . .she was with me like 30 minutes ago, went home to put James to bed. She'll help me if im writin' deep becuase she's emotional."

On doing his fair share for making Anotha great site:
"I wouldn't say it's great. This time last year, it was at its' best in terms of interest and excitement. Now, it's at its best (as it has ever been) when you speak of the talent: Nyce, Te Ora, Menace and MRB."

sp!t went all nostradamus for this weeks..

Predictions

1. MIC REKKIN BASTARD (1-0) vs. 2. Te Ora (1-0) - The only thing separating these two emcees is concistency and, although M.R.B. has proven himself worthy in the past, Te Ora may take the win. When it comes to creativity and attitude, both of them seem to have a lot in common. In his previous battle, M.R.B. was given a free win, thanks to his competitor not showing up. His verse was jam-packed with played out punches, while Te Ora' verse against Dilated Eyes was hard-hitting and painstakingly direct. This match-up can go either way, but Te Ora gets the vote via track record.

God Of War
01-24-2013, 12:22 AM
Prediction: Te Ora

3. Nyce (1-0) vs. 4. Joe Native (1-0) - Unfortunately, this will be a one-sided battle. Nyce is one of the most talented emcees on the site right now, and Joe Native is a fresh face with room to improve. Joe has plenty of originality, but he only applies it some of the time. His verses have the ability to take played out punches and turn them into something hipper than the pun itself, but, like mentioned earlier, his consistency is an issue. Nyce makes up for everything Joe lacks and isn't afraid to admit that he does. In other words, confidence will be the key in this battle.

Prediction: Nyce

5. Fohkus (1-0) vs. 6. MC J3RSEY (1-0) - We've all seen what MC J3RSEY is capable of. He knows exactly what weaknesses to attack and how to attack them, whereas Fohkus' disses are more generalized. The two of them combined would be a similie dream team, but only one of them can walk away with the victory. Fohkus' more recent rhymes have proven to us that he's graduated from his intense overuse of Multies, which has contributed to the overall impressions that his verses can make on a reader. J3RSEY has always stuck with one standard style, which can be a factor of either hurt or gain. Despite MC J3RSEY's Jigga-like abilities to throw a jab that can leave a mark forever, I'll go out on a limb and hand this one to Bryden.

Prediction: Fohkus

7. sp!tf!r3 (1-0) vs. 8. ThaMenace (1-0) - Possibly the match of the round, both seem to be elevating, and both want to win. sp!tf!r3 has the potential for witty lines, but needs to gain enough confidence to post them without hyperlinks. ThaMenace is coming into his own, and just needs to concentrate on coming his best while making little improvements. I've got ThaMenace taking this for being slightly more polished at this stage.

Prediction: ThaMenace -T.O

9. Franchise (1-0) vs. 10. prozpekt (0-1) - To be honest, I wasn't been impressed with Franchise's showing at the second Punchline Tourney. Most of his punches lack that essential "Oh Factor" and simply leave the reader with forgettable euphemisms. Propzpekt, at the same time, has his own flaws to deal with. His stretched lines are borderline run-on sentences, although he somehow executes a mediocre flow. Since this is a text battle, rather than a real-life one, Prozpekt has the harder disses, all while maintaining a complex composure.

Prediction: prozpekt

11. Pyr0 (0-1) vs. 12. JonJonOyes (0-1) - I don't think there's any need for explanation when I say JonJonOyes will be declared the winner here. Pyr0 needs to learn the fundamental skills of battling, and, until he does, his battles will be shut-outs. JonJonOyes is a polished battler and will waste no time as he murks this newcomer.

[B]Prediction: JonJonOyes

13. Fletcha (0-1) vs. 14. Dilated Eyes (0-1) - For someone who vowed to elevate, Fletcha's last verse wasn't very promising. The emcee who could once rattle off adequate Multies was stumbling over simple one-syllable rhymes. Fletcha has definitely fallen off, even if he was never really that much of writer to begin with. Dilated Eyes, on the other hand, has improved greatly from the days when his long lines and bland ego were dominant. I don't expect anything mind-blowing from either of them, but Dilated Eyes has the advantage here.

Prediciton: Dilated Eyes

15. westkeptsecret (0-1) vs. 16. da big glassman (0-1) - This may be the closest match-up of the week. Da Big Glassman has a horrific sense of grammar and structure, but his punches are direct and his personals are always the honest truth. Westkeptsecret has a tendency to take concepts and ruin them with played out delivery. It'll be interesting to see who wins this battle, no doubt.

Prediction: da big glassman

17. doodydean (0-0) vs. 18. Bob (0-1) - Doodydean has a lot of work to do with making his flow fit his punches, while Bob has a lot of work to do with... just showing up. Either way, Doodydean has the more creative punches and comprehendable structure. Hopefully, Bob can prove this prediction wrong. I've seen dope verses come out of Bob, but he hasn't dropped a lot in recent times and seems to take this league as a joke (i.e., texting in verses from his cell phone).

Prediction: doodydean

19. presysce (0-0) vs. 20. MC Dangerous (0-1) - Presyce is hot off of his Punchline Tourney win and I'll be damned if he lets someone like MC Dangerous get past him. The only problem is Dangerous' low profile on the site, which makes it difficult to dig up personals. In accordance, Presyce will have to rely purely on good old basic punches to help him win. This shouldn't be that much of challenge for him, but I wouldn't be surprised if MC Dangerous comes out of nowhere with underrated lyricism.

Prediction: presyce

Outro
don't forget to read this and leave comments, it's takes quite an effort to write and an even bigger effort to compile (trust me! http://www.anotha.com/images/smilies/wink.gif ). propz to sp!t & nyce for their contributions to the mag, and jon for giving his time for the spotlight interview. don't forget to drop in your battles, don't forget to drop HARD in your battles, don't forget to vote, and don't forget to edit your CHECK INS with links to where you have voted. thnx for reading and pz.