PDA

View Full Version : AOWL Magazine Week 7- "The Road to the Playoffs Begins Now" Edition.

King Ra.
03-30-2013, 10:57 PM
AOWL MAGAZINE
presents....
"The Road to the Playoffs Begins Now"
***Week 7 Edition***

https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/3379679361/6a07391a68383bf6d2ed09d0d3b3ec96.png

We are 7 weeks in & 6 weeks away from the end season tournament. The league continues to grow & familiar faces are making their way back in for their final push for a spot in the playoffs. While everyone is jockeying for position, there is still much to do before looking so far ahead. So without any more further delay, kick up your feet and let the sounds of Kendrick Lamar guide you through this weeks edition of the AOWL magazine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjlFqgRbICY

OPEN MIC FEATURE #1

"Visitors" written by ill nik-A

Sometimes unplanned days go great, most the time they fail
there’s different ways to celebrate escape & toast to fine details
there’s no bad dreams at wakes & if provoked u bite your nails
saw the light that paved the way but a mother’s hope denied the trail
u have to cope & find your sail… the winds are blowing south
north is where u should be but self-pity’s sting’s not slowing down
violins make golden sounds… its melodies begging to follow
While enemies keep sending u their complementary bottles
Exemplary struggles, it’s the perfect way to initiate those in pain
substitutes are short term solutions but it alleviates most the shame
facilitate growth not blame, but u continue to point the finger
there’ll always be cold days but resolution helps u enjoy the winter
but when u avoid… it lingers, who listens when the ridiculed speak?
plus compiled issues are just life time subscriptions of difficulties
where do the cynical meet? The 13th floor’s vacancy troubles many
but luck isn’t an emotion & we all at some point will struggle plenty
every rubble’s messy, ask for the strength to pick yourself from it
or settle for indolence as betraying your abilities is also hell’s promise

WEEK 6 RECAP

PATROWN COMES BACK & HANDS INNOVATOR HIS 4TH STRAIGHT LOSS, IN A 6-4 VICTORY.-
After a quick 2-0 start to the season, Vator finds himself on a real cold streak, losing his 4th straight, this time a 6-4 loss to patrown, who overcame a furious comeback in votes to pull away at the end. While both verses didn't pack much punch, when it came down to voting, readers were practically divided in choosing a winner. patrown is now (2-1) and looks to slowly climbs the ranks as Vator looks for that early season magic to get back in the win column.

RED GLARE SERVES MIKE WRECKA A 7-0 KNOCKOUT BLOW.-
Wrecka started the season with a loss before stringing together 3 straight victories. After gaining the #1 contender label, he finds himself back at square one, after a devastating 7-0 k.o. served up by Red glare. While Mike impressed the readers, his story was not enough to topple what Red was able to throw together this week. Red is now in a title match against Frank this week while Mike looks to surge back into the rankings & possibly another shot to get a title match.

CEREAL KILLA DROPS A GEM IN HIS ROUTE OF KUJA, 8-1.-
The "Duality" partners went head to head this week & in the end Cereal Man delivered the harder blow, blowing past Kooj in a 8-1 route. Though the votes were one sided, both competitors dropped some very solid pieces & CK was able to put together the better drop to take the w. This was his first match in the league this year. Kooj, hasn't had the luck with getting battles in due to no shows & this marked the first time he is involved in a match with votes. He looks to get back to the .500 mark this week while CK tries to make it two in a row.

ADONIS HANDS VINZR HIS FIRST LOSS & A DEADLY 12-0 KNOCKOUT.-
Vin has started the season off very well stringing 3 straight wins until coming into contact with Adonis, who has been on a tear himself, serving up a 12-0 masterpiece last week. Adonis has proved to be a very elite writer in the early going this season earning himself a #1 contenders match this week against zygote. His verse was too overwhelming as voters were clearly in favor of his piece over Vinz. Though Vin takes a loss he remains a silent threat and will look to win again this week.

ZENLAND GETS BACK IN THE WIN COLUMN, PUTTING A HALT TO C.D.M.'s 2 MATCH WIN STREAK, 8-3.-
Veritas was riding high, pulling off two impressive wins with two impressive drops. But this week, the Zenmaster had his way. After a series of losses, he managed to put together a solid piece to overtake c.d.m., 8-3. Voters leaned toward Zen over the V, who seemed to had lacked a bit of that fire this week with his verse compared to most of his others this season. He still remains as a threat to anyone. The win marks Zens first victory in some weeks & he will look to add on to that this coming week.

IAMBENT'S STORYTELLING LEADS HIM TO A 8-0 SHUTOUT OVER ZEEDEE.-
This match was the perfect example of a strong conceptual piece going up against a strong written story. In the end however, BenT was able to put together one of the strongest, if not THE strongest verse of the week in his 8-0 victory over ZeeDee. Zee was riding off a quick 2 match win streak to start the season, but BenT, coming off a no show loss last week pulled off a gem. Both competitors are now (2-1) & with 6 weeks left, will look to string more victories as they make their push to the playoffs.

INK HANDS OBJECTIVE A LOSS IN HIS RETURN FROM HIATUS, A 9-4 WIN.-
This was one had Ink spilled all over it when it was all said & done. Objective returned from a long break to suffer a 9-4 loss to Ink this week. This match was similar to the Vator/patrown battle, with two short verses doing battle. Difference here was both had more polished pieces. Most voters felt Objective could have had done a bit more with his verse which would have turned the tide in his favor more. I guess grapefruits are nothing to fuck it. Ink has now won two straight & can make it 3 with a win next week.

TOPICALDOOD5 RUNS DAGEL OFF THE SITE WITH A 8-3 STOMPING.-
HOF worthy verse. Best writer on the net. You lie. You lie... so bad. TopicalDood5 made quick disposal of the Dagelmite, putting together an imagery filled gem while cruising to a 8-3 victory over the now exiled Brass Body. This battle wasn't that close, though Body was able to get a few votes (but word on the wire is Adonis is still petitioning to have his vote changed in favor of Dood5). Dood5 really displayed his skill set in this one, and could be a heavy player for a title match soon. It was his debut match in the league. He looks to climb the ranks fast while we try and figure out where Dagel's so called HOF nominations went.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8Qxtzk-bK8

A WORD WITH THE KING- PART I.... THE CEREAL_KILLA DISCUSSION

King Keith: First off as we always do, introduce yourself to our readers yo.

Cereal_Killa: Sweet..
I am an Aussie hiphop artsist/writer n creator.. I have doing hiphop lyrics for about 12 years
I recorded 2 unmixed solo albums
1 mixed solo album
1 mixed joint mixtape

I am currently getting my production company up n running.. called Black Rabbits Crixa which i've been working on n off for 10 years.. its taken so long due to the fact you gotta conquer everyday life as you master your dreams.. I got a big team behind me now and its all paper work n funding to get to the next step.. which were just comes down to time..

King Keith: Alright. So we got a hip hop artist on our hands here. When did you start competing in topical leagues & how long have you been doing it?

Cereal_Killa: I signed up for writing on rm's league in 2003, so 10 years now.. I've been off on a few others sites but only for a few months.. I always found my way back to rm :)

King Keith: You've been in about 2-3 matches so far this season. What is your take thus far on the competition & the league overall?

Cereal_Killa: ahh man its complete crazy.. it resembles a beginning of something massive.. Over the years the great writers from a handful of the massive forums have all united over here.. But its not just technical writers, you got story writers, you got poetic writers, you got topical writers n you got ppl from all age groups n backgrounds.. Its a beautiful thing.. Im loving it

King Keith: The league continues to grow and get tougher, man. Your name seems like an alias for a text battler not a topical writer. Lol. How'd you come up with it & is there any other aliases you are known by?

Cereal_Killa: lol
I havent battled in yonkers, i kinda jack this ish.. I write dark, sharp and in your face to make a humorous point about a serious topic..
so Cereal Killer came from the red n meth track "cereal killer" n my favourite character from the movie "hackers"
i needed readers to know not to take my writing to heart as most of it is suppose to make you cringe first but laugh latter..

King Keith: Interesting. What's the deal with you & Kuja? How'd that come about?

Cereal_Killa: I've known him for years one of my fav writers.. so when i heard that he came back to writing a few years back we teamed up.. Like ink said, kuja is a serious story writer he is amazing at displaying the environment and even when he does deep emotional pieces he manages to do it with such beautiful colours.. Wait until he does one of his full tim burton style stories.. :)

King Keith: Word. Kuja is actually one of my favorite storytellers hands down. I definitely know what he is capable of. Well, oddly enough, you earned your first win of the season last week against your partner. This week you're up against me. Ha. How are you feeling about the topic & the match up?

Cereal_Killa: Dude youra boss n def not just in the literal sense.. Its gonna b fantastic, i mean was playen in the check in but were gonna bring an inferno together..
The topics are amazing here, you guys always find some nice choices..

King Keith: Most definitely. It will be a good one. We've been experimenting ideas this whole season. Just wait until next week comes around. Well, it's week 7. What match ups do you have your eye on & any predictions?

Cereal_Killa: yeh ok break down..
Besides my boy
My must watch list is..
1: Zygote
2: Red Glare
3: Iambent
4: Topicaldood5
5: Adonis

But saying that.. every single writer in here is off the chain. like im talking they all bring their own flavour to the table.. That list is just who entertains me the most with their verses.. And its always subject to change..

King Keith: Interesting picks right there. Well, this marks the end of our discussion. Any shout outs, fuck yous & final thoughts you have, spill it.

Cereal_Killa: Cool.. Shouts to the AOWL league itself and all the peeps making it grow.. PZ

VERSE OF THE WEEK

Not only was the title an attention grabber, but so was the story from start to finish. IAmBenT served up a gem last week against ZeeDee & earns the VOTW honors. Relive it all right here.

"Concerning A Merchant To Whom A Harlot Sold The Arm Of St. John The Baptist..."
written by IAmBenT

"Behold the Lamb...", spoke the holy hand, fingers stretched out
Beneath the stony glance of the lonely man, his wet mouth
Inches from the mutton, when in a sudden, came a-tappin
Upon the door - it was his whore.. but something happened...

"Quick! Custodian, if my favors you would savor, do not waver,
Hurry, labor to the men whose rattled sabers, battle rapiers,
Swing to gut me, for thy neighbors falsely claim I am a thief
Scurry, please- your holy speech should bless me with relief"

And as he streaked, into the night, mutton grease in his right,
She easily spied St. John's Arm, outreaching the Light,
Which she heaved in delight, to redeem her silvery prize
From a merchant with sin in his heart and deceit in his eyes...

The initiate asks...
"If none of the Saints surpassed John the Baptist
Where are the miracles he should have practiced?

"Sheriff, this indeed is the women who has bothered me
Arrest this trash, for thus trafficking in her harlotry!"
And with that, they dragged the wicked vixen in a stupor,
Betrayed, dismayed he used her, just to claim his filthy lucre...

He swaths John's Arm in the violet robes of Jesus
Then gone!, Far off, in a silent home he ceases
His sojourns, and in a stone urn, the Relic rests,
Pressed into the roof's legs, when blessings manifest...

After a decade's test, the merchant's wealth blooms
Jealous respect grooms this new prince whose health croons
The tunes of God's shine, assumed he's God's kind,
Imbued with all signs of truth from God's mind...

The master replies...
God doesn't rely on miracles, but wisdom,
Needs no assistance, its established in His system

Lost in thought, they haunt his shop with reports of flames
Such a shock when a shrug's his response to the scorching blaze
"What a calm this man has as the city burns to ash...!
We sift in filth and trash...the Merchant's palace has no scratch.."

Envy burgeons as a heavy burden on the wealthy merchant
His enemies' empty purses steady urging stealthy searches
He's heard of a certain hermitess, who's under duress
"She'll safeguard the Arm, while I suffer the rest"

He pledged her a treasure, went and fetched her a hefty measure
This pressure to sever with the relic met her with deadly pleasure
With her door as a shield, the floor as her field, The ARM!
At last, for her vengeance, she bore it to wield...

And before he could feel,... any respite*, at his desperate try
To hide the pride of John that strived to find the Light of Precious Christ
He was arrested.. "WHY?!" They had divined what he was hiding
From the biting lips of the witch in whom he was confiding...

...but, the spinster!? he evinced his faith and she betrayed him quick!
That's correct, for the wicked pay, and must be shamed for it...
See, as years passed, her tears gashed a face left grieved
In defeat...
... ahhh... the self-same HARLOT he deceived!

King Ra.
03-30-2013, 10:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMR45VOKj58

AOWL POWER RANKINGS

http://www.chemeddl.org/images/top10.jpg

1. Frank (Titanium) (2x AOWL Champion) (5-0)------- this week: vs. Red glare (4-1)

2. zygote (Platinum) (4-1)------- this week: vs. Adonis (3-0)

3. Red glare (Titanium) (4-1)------- this week: vs. Frank (5-0)

4. pohfig (Platinum) (4-1)------- this week: OUT.

5. Vinzr (Titanium) (3-1)------- this week: vs. Que (0-0)

6. Adonis (Platinum) (3-0)------- this week: vs. zygote (4-1).

7. King Keith (Titanium) (3-1)------- this week: Cereal_Killa (1-0).

8. Mike Wrecka (Titanium) (3-3)------- this week: vs. ZeeDee (2-1).

9. Ink (Titanium) (2-1)------- this week: c.d.m. (2-4).

10. Nigma (Platinum) (3-1)------- this week: OUT.

***For a more in-depth breakdown of the Power Rankings, be sure to check the Power Rankings & Conference Standings sticky thread. Will be updated on Sunday.***

OPEN MIC FEATURE #2

"The Opposite Problem"
written by namix

do you have the "opposite problem"?

an optimist?! NEGATIVE! just positively positive
the secret of the universe relies upon the opposites
for context in our populous, how competent are colleges?
took a lot of ignorance to comprehend what knowledge is
it’s a problem which is relative, its apparent we adopted it
it's extremely unique, so commonly it’s moderate.
see the glass as half full with a modest bit of cockiness;
but if ya never topped it off, the cup would still be bottomless.

without a winter would a summer even be a thing?
if I never had a fall, would ya ever see me spring?
it’s sink or swim; but what’s a swim without a sink?
I think that I know – therefore I am, I think.
we peak then plateau, and we gradually shrink
no matter how far ya go, ya always on the brink.

Do you have the opposite problem? it’s likely it’s so:
answer with yes, or no – it’s residing in both.
a friend, or foe, above, below – in binary code
the ebbs and flows, they come and go, a high and a low

we want yes without no, wanna know without lessons
never had the answer, but want it without question
seek some direction: east 'n a south; north 'n a west
from chaos there is order, we’re an organized mess
it’s simply complex, we want a grade without a test
wanna win, no contest; wanna host? be my guest!
every notion we protect, all the motions we object;
are all perpetual at worst, and immoveable at best.

beauty is skin deep… but how shallow is sight?
when beauty’s best seen by the beholder who’s blind
can ya find an absent mind present in a moment of time?
in some cases ya capitalize; others, lower than swine.
but it takes both to take off – a case where all the pigs fly
and its the lowest swine who go most high, hoggin the sky‼

Do you have the opposite problem? answer it wise:
the answers black and white but may range from day to night
no wrong or right, narrow or wide, just a demand to supply
the secret’s too revealed to hide, so expect a surprise.

find depth in our shallowness, fulfillment in our hollowness
our future leaders will rise from those who can follow this.

Problem Solved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrkHVZWAYps

No Show Love
(broken down by Adonis)

Witty - Wrote fairly twisted tale of a murderer basically going over in, in detail, the acts and emotions of his prized kill. The imagery in this verse is worth the read if you have time, but reader beware, its pretty gruesome.

”He grabs her carcass, slices from her eyes to her chest
Then like a manic artist, steps back to admire the mess
His fire's possessed by desires he once tried to reject
Now he doesn't fight, he sees himself as higher and blessed
He brings the dead, he holds everybody's fate in his hands
With fingers spread, life trickling through the spaces like sand
She's simply red....and I don't mean the name of a band”

This went on a few more lines followed by an extremely well written closer. His topic was “The Ash”, and of course the killer ended his killing with burning of the victim, but the wording and tone Witty set up for the finally was well above par. Great drop, ashamed it was a no show, I think you would've beat a fair share of competitors.

Zygote – Good lord man, amazing verse; glad I got to read this before writing my verse against you this week. Zy wrote a epic tale of not rags to riches, but riches to rags. A tale of the kings son, hidden behind the walls of his lavish, easy life style, unable to know, see or realize there are others far less fortunate. The tale then merely begins...

“Gautama walked the rocky path, negotiated the tricky terrain,
The first real person he saw was a leper in pain, this diseased man driven insane,
Gautama felt as if his life was beginning again.
As he continued to walk he saw a decaying corpse,
The ascetic monk who wrapped the body in a veiling cloth,
Gautama turned around and saw his distant coastal fort,
A golden Kingdom with pillars built from stone and smoky quartz.
But that was there, and he was here, it was now,
Gautama knew it was different, but different how?”

The verse then went on to a very philosophical realm, where a man gives away the glorious life for the life of true happiness. This man was not fictional, in fact we all know him as Buddha. The topic was beggar, and although I'm not a big fan of how he laced the topic to his work, anyone who reads zygote's verse WILL be a HUGE fan of the writing. In my humblest of opinions, this was unquestionably the verse of the week, and there is no debating that to me. I'm a sucker for looking inward/ philosophical verses when done properly, and you did that ease as far as story telling and flow go. Remind me of SacriFICE, which is absolutely the greatest compliment I could give anyone. He's a living legend.

King Keith – Wrote a very short verse, yet not the tyical no show ten lines because it had meat to it...

”The world hates
the rejects & are quick to crucify you. Refute*
the bible (or at least try to) 'cause even God
gives you the cold shoulder (or so it seems)
& escaping loneliness becomes a thing, the dream
scene is your new reality, addiction. A new realm,
when no one stands by your side no longer. It's over.
Refuse to wake up. Can you hear the cries of The Loner?”

Still, Keith did not have much beyond this, a short verse about solitude and noises that come with it.

Mac - Another short verse, this one probably would not get many wins against others this week. A tale of a orphan, who seeks to get revenge through being an “Arms Dealer”. I liked the concept behind it all, did not like the execution. I know it was rushed and wrote last minute, definitely not proof read or spell checked because there were plenty of errors. But the talent is there, you just need to flesh a verse out. I do this by finishing a verse, then the next day simply reading it, then making either minor or major adjustments on lines in order to better get my point across. Either way, you are talented, just need more time for polishings sake.

"i wanted revenge, i wanted my mother to pay for what she did
for dropping me in a shithole, an orphanage when just a kid
withdrawed my life savings, went to Siberia and bought guns
planning to re sell them i've already sold tons
and no, not seeking for blood i just wanted to find my mother
but i wouldn't kill her, slowly my guns would find and get her away"

King Ra.
03-30-2013, 11:00 PM
WEEK 7 PREDICTIONS

AOWL Championship: Frank (5-1) vs. Red glare (4-1)
The championship match returns this week & this will be a very, very interesting bout. Frank (2x AOWL champion) once again will defend the title, this time against quick riser Red glare, who has been on a tear of late. Riding on 3 straight victories, he should be fully prepared for this match. Luckily for Frank, all no show losses were wiped away due to a change in the site url which prevented some participants from signing in. So he remains undefeated. Does Frank still have the motivation to continue his reign as champ? It most certainly seems like it. He will have to be on guard because Red looks to be building up a lot of steam. Who wins? I'm becoming a fan of Red's work each week that passes by & he has the skills to be a champion. He will have to bring all of that here if he wants to the first to take Frank off the throne. A valiant effort will commence but for some reason, I believe Frank will be very difficult to take down in this match and possibly the others to come ahead. PREDICTION: Frank, 12-8.

AOWL #1 Contender Match: Zygote (4-1) vs. Adonis (3-0)
This is going to be a fierce match up right here. zygote has been rolling this season & all roads seem to be leading to a possible rematch against Frank (that's if he manages to get past Red). Let's not count out the other guy here. Adonis has came into the league and made his mark. His 27-3 vote edge is ridiculous, showing that his pieces are usually uncontested. This match will reveal much for the power rankings & who can potentially be the next AOWL champion (if Frank ever gives that up). zygote is one of the most flexible writers around which is why he usually fares very well no matter who the opponent is. Will his quick drop be enough this time around? Both have already posted their verses. I'm guessing they dropped some pretty heavy stuff. I like Adonis' writing style. To win this he will have to be very creative. Off to an impressive start to the season but this match will be the first thorn on his path. PREDICTION: zygote, 10-7.

Kuja (2-3) vs. ZenLand (3-3)
This one could be another sleeper match. Kuja enters this week coming off a loss to his partner, Cereal_Killa, and looks to get back to .500 against the Zenmaster, who pulled off a pretty impressive victory last week over c.d.m. That wins keeps Zen in the thick of things. Kuja just experienced his first battle this season which ended in votes. This one will definitely end the same way. Kooj is the more polished writer and is known for his storytelling (peep week 1's no show verse). So the Zenmaster will have his work cut out for him. This is a White division showdown & the winner here will gain sole possession of 2nd place. Zen has shown some of his skills this season, but not quite consistently. He still has some work to do, but is definitely getting up there. If he can manage to put together a good piece with great mechanics, this one won't be one sided. Toss the coin. It's heads. Which means unleash your inner Zen-ness. I see this one being close but I see Kooj constructing a solid story to take this one from Zen. PREDICTION: Kuja, 7-5.

Malachi (0-2) vs. Patrown (2-1)
Malachi has been out of action since week 2 and now returns to the league after a semi finals no show in the Ultimate Writer tourney. He is still fresh to doing topicals & the hiatus may affect his performance somewhat this week against his opponent, patrown. Patrown has been up and down writing wise & we haven't really yet to see how good he can be. I don't see Malachi getting into the playoffs this year with the enormous amount of talent & experience here in the league, but if he wants to get in the win column, this is one of the weeks to do it. A win for Patrown & losses from Ink & Vinzr will put him in first place in the Black division. A division with dead man & TYSON who both haven't really been active of late. It's there for the taking. Should be a smooth win, unless he slips up & Malachi drops a dagger..... it's possible. Seriously. PREDICTION: patrown, 9-0.

Topicaldood5 (1-0) vs. Innovator (2-4)
The Vator like Mike Wrecka has written for every match this season. & after a quick 2-0 start he has loss 4 straight match ups, 2 of those could have swung his way as well. Despite the losing streak, he continues to improve and fight. His opponent this week is riding high off of one of the better verses last week. TopicalDood5 (probably alias of the year in the AOWL) is no push over. His debut was a solid win that ran Dagel crying on his way out AOB's door. That's not to say he will do the same to Inno, but you get the point. Vator has seemed to sunk a bit with his writing, as the topics are getting more challenging but he has mad potential. It will be difficult this week to pull off a win against Dood. But this can be a stepping stone for the coming weeks as the playoffs near. Not this week homie. PREDICTION: TopicalDood5, 11-0.

SLEEPER MATCH OF THE WEEK!!!: Mike Wrecka (3-3) vs. ZeeDee (2-1)
Mike Wrecka has loss 2 straight matches & a title shot which was right in his grasp. It's back to square one but this week could be the difference between getting back to the top or lingering with playoff hopes. His opponent this week is ZeeDee, who is coming off a knockout loss to IAmBenT. Both of these writers, despite writing some very good pieces, were not able to top the opposition & this match is labeled as the Sleeper of the week. Mike Wrecka has had a pretty tough schedule this season but he has been able to hold his own. How much more does he have in the tank to continue putting together solid verses? He's one of the few who has dropped every week this season. ZeeDee gave us a gem last week & we see what he is capable of. This looks to be a story vs. concept type of match. Hard to pick a winner. While I really enjoyed ZD's piece last week, I feel Wrecka will not quit. I see him pulling off a win here & getting back into the thick of the race for title contention. PREDICTION: Mike Wrecka, 9-5.

Exoduzt (0-0) vs. Objective (0-2)
Objective returned from a hiatus last week only to lose to Ink but I'm sure now he is feeling the blood flowing through his veins as he enters this week. His opponent, Exoduzt, is another newcomer & will look to kick things off on the right foot. I don't know much about him like fellow new member, Que, so it's hard to say how much fire he will bring in his match. Objective can be very hard to beat at times, and when he is on his A-game, he can contend with the elite. Exo will have to bring some good content & flavor to pull this off. Though Objective took a step back last week, I see him getting right on track here. PREDICTION: Objective, 7-5.

c.d.m. (2-4) vs. Ink (2-1)
c.d.m. was riding the wave of two straight victories before suffering a loss last week to Zenland. While it puts a halt to him getting to .500, c.d.m. is still a threat to anyone he goes up against. This week, he faces Ink, who made his debut 3 weeks ago & is on a 2 match win streak right now. A win for Ink coupled with a loss by Vinzr would jump him to 1st place in the Black division, while moving him up a bit in the rankings. But winning here won't be easy. Veritas has been one of the more consistent writers & can put together a very well written story. As I am typing this up both have dropped already. It's open for votes. I thought Ink's piece last week was fresh but he will need something more to topple c.d.m. Your time is not yet, good sir. PREDICTION: c.d.m., 9-3.

BATTLE OF THE WEEK!!!: Vulgar (0-0) vs. Witty (3-2)
Yes, yes. This match will be a doozy. I asked Vulgar a week or so ago would he be joining the league this season & he said he was taking a break from competition. I guess the writers bug bit him because he makes his debut against Witty, who is starting to show some consistency in attendence. This battle will send ripples throughout the AOWL. Vulgar recently posted a new piece in the OM, and he doesn't look like he has any rust to shake off. Witty is ready to bring something to the table as well. A win for Witty will put him in closer distance to Frank in the Green division & possibly begin to open a path to get a title shot. Who wins? Both are so talented & while Witty seems to be picking up steam, I see Vulgar starting his rise in this match, in what should be a classic. PREDICTION: Vulgar, 9-5.

Cakecakecake(0-3) vs. Nigma (3-1)
If there is one competitor who has failed me dearly this year, it would be the Cakester. 3 no shows so far (the 4th was wiped away due to some participants having trouble logging in last week) & not a verse to really showcase his talent. He can definitely write & if he wants to get in the playoffs, he will have to string some wins together in these final 6 weeks. Nigma is returning after a slight break away from writing & looks anxious to get it done this week. This match has mad potential to be the BOTW. Only question is: will Cake show? Hard to tell. With that said, this Cake will be in need of much yeast to rise up. Prove to me that you can show up to a battle. I got Nigma here with a no show dub. PREDICTION: Nigma, by no show.

Vinzr (3-1) vs. Que (0-0)
Vinzr suffered his first loss last week to Adonis, a minor setback, but will look to regain his footing here against league newcomer, Que. Little is known about him but as with everyone in this league, don't be surprised if he is just as talented as the majority. This would be a nice win to kick things off for Que. Vin has a 2 match lead in the black division & is still a threat for the title if he can maintain his consistency. This may be an under the radar match but I got an itch that Vin will comeback much stronger this week & continue his ascension in the rankings. PREDICTION: Vinzr, 8-3.

Split (3-2) vs. IAmBenT (2-1)
This match should be one of the ones to your eyes on. Both competitors are very talented writers hanging under the radar. IAmBenT is coming off an impressive win over ZeeDee & is riding on momentum. Split's season has been roller coaster like & we haven't truly yet seen him at the top of his game. If he shows & brings it, expect this one to go back & forth. A win here for BenT would be huge & probably propel him into the top 10. A win for Split will keep him in a good position to catch zygote in the in the Red division & above the .500 mark. Hard to pick a winner here but based on what I saw last week from BenT & Split's up & down start, I got IAm pulling off another impressive win. PREDICTION: IAmBent, 8-5.

OPEN MIC FEATURE #3

"Visiting Friends"
written by Cake & Matriarch

Every track I listen to. All this time, sifting through
torrents, mp3's, files, traces, vinyl, mission fueled
binge. To paint a smile on my face. Switched to new trends.
Miles Davis, Bitches Brew. Guitar string picked 'til it bends.
I Can See For Miles. With my new prescription lens,
thumbing through catalogs. The gray tinted film,
I've frayed and splintered the ends.
Plastic Ono Bands, Californications, nostalgia. I visit friends
on bloodshot hung-over days lost. Dazed, lost.
Led Zeppelin, teenage angst and the delayed cost.
Teenage Dream. Lush, the dream pop.
Phoenix, hipster scene. Crystal Castles, homage.
I Wish You Were Here. Drum kits blast, the barrage.
Baroness whiplash the garage. The Flaming Lips
skipped tracks as collage. College. Another fugue state,
Riff Raff and Minaj. The populists' due weight.
Eddie V picked fast, with guitars, and became God.
I'm hot for teachers. A cappellas and busted speakers.
Riffs from hell. Like the Sleigh Bells album, the front was sneakers,
and their chops are stellar. To be dramatic,
music's been tied close to the struggles.
And every music fan knows 'Repeat', always overrides 'Shuffle'.
I've had...four? iPods. And countless iTunes generations.
The boom bap me new track steez,
to the indie rock aesthetic and Classic veneration.
I wear out wavelengths.
Single song obsession, every interpretation my brain takes.
I eat every snippet I've found. The hisses, the pounds
off drum kicks or bass notes. The hunting of every
trick in it's sound.
Until I can't listen again,
Unless it's to relive. I said, I'm just visiting friends.
I want to visit again.
After another hundred rhymes.
After writing this little gem while gripping this pen.
After listening to Deerhunter's 'Spring Hall Convert' at least a dozen times,
I'll want to visit again.

digital fixtures - mixed of vintage volume ensnared
captivating! Janis played with prim euphoric impaired
we shared a truth at seventeen: Love belong to the fair
beauty queens. music scene. proms and bonding affair
pondering where - this juxtaposition will take us
fully aware - that luck's a fucking glitch in the matrix
Simple and basic. Design of a conspicuous crazed bitch
rhythm’s abrasive - inventing villains in veiled pitch ..
of high notes, connoting violent twisted descent
momma asked me “where are you?”
told her “I’m visiting friends..”.
To the bitterest entropy - it’s the sweetest revenge
hello darkness, my old buddy, pleased to meet you again.
It’s 60’s peace and pretense. deep in weeds and free sex.
at sixteen, we walked the valley just to pique an interest.
dissecting dim dichotomy between figments and friends
Friday night’s charades of youth - sometimes it’s fun to pretend
Function? Defense; Entertaining plight of a soloist
who’s lack in social grace-fully fight just to fit into trends
spirits of greatness - playlists are bricks in the wall
Pink and purple rain drops - my drizzled dictions of Fall
constricting richest - appalled! detecting deep disturbance
rotten. soiled. problems boil down beneath the surface
Heeding words of Ms Ian : “music is captured perspective”
not just 'aesthetic' per se, but more as gathered objective.
Such as laughters and sentiments
trapped in a pessimistic chapter that never ends
i’m visiting friends
enter da stage take a Bowie - ‘Oh i’ll see you again!’
Maybe a hotel on a dark desert highway?
Or Hell House of the fall of Usher - Going My way?
Led poison Zeppelin left without a Quarter for fair
A choice. The stare. listen, we'll talk when I'm there
I'm at the club for 50 cents...
Sometimes it's fun to pretend.
Momma asked "Where are you?"
Told her "I'm visiting friends".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe0n5mqkf6c

A WORD WITH THE KING- PART II.... INK DISCUSSION

King Keith: First off, introduce yourself to our wonderful readers.

Ink: Wsup!! It's Ink aka. Mr. If-You-Beat-Me-Its-Cause-I-Didnt-Try.

King Keith: Is that really the case? Or that's your way of keeping making your opponents feel worthless?

Ink: Haha nah.. Well time is always a factor, and sometimes I don't have enough of it to give a decent verse.. But I do try to give a good showing each week out, out of respect for my opponents.

King Keith: I hear you on that. So how long have you been involved in topicals & writing in general?

Ink: I first started writing when I was 11 or 12... I took a hiatus of a couple years and came back to it at 16 or so... I joined aznraps at that time.. This was a few years after Jin Tha MC blew up, so the sites traffic wasn't as crazy as it used to be, but it was still pretty active. From there I just did my own thing until I joined RSTL.. and now I'm here. I spent most of that time just really finding myself and my style... now I'm at a pretty comfortable place in terms of my writing identity.

King Keith: The competition has been getting increasingly tough as the weeks move on. You've had 3 matches so far. What's your take on the level of competition & the league overall?

Ink: This has been the most impressive league by far. The competition here is far better and everything is just running really well right now. Props to all the mods, and even to the other writers for taking care of their voting. Everyone needs to contribute in order for text leagues to thrive and it's great to see that here.

King Keith: No doubt. So this week you're up against c.d.m. I believe you both have dropped already as we speak. Nonetheless, riding this 2 match win streak, how do you feel about your match?

Ink: Man, talk about having to be political in my response here haha... Well it's two different approaches.. c.d.m. came at it with a very factual "this is my message and i'm going to fucking tell it" approach.. I took a less direct storytelling approach.. I would say I feel fairly confident about the outcome. And he probably does too. So we'll see when the voting closes.

King Keith: Should be a good one. I won't be able to read it until after this mag is posted later tonight. Which match ups do you have your eye on this week & any predictions you have?

Ink: Hmm.. There are a few that particularly peak my interest:

Zygote vs Adonis: There are a few artists where.. when I read their material, I feel like we drink from the same river... Adonis recently radared as one of those people, so I'm looking to see what he drops this week. He's been on a streak and I think he'll continue it this week.

Cakecakecake vs. Nigma: I'm watching this one, mostly because I'm curious to see what Cake has... He's noshowed for all I can remember, but it sounds like he packs a serious punch when he wants to.

Split vs. Bent: I'm a fan of Bent's style, we wouldn't be in the same crew if I wasn't.. Split is nice, but I don't think he'll overcome Bent this week. Actually, I don't want Bent to lose until we match up again so I can exact revenge lol

Frank vs. Red Glare: It's the championship match, so I gotta keep an eye on it. I'm leaning towards Frank taking the win to face Adonis next week.

CK vs. King Keith: For the same reason I'll be watching Bent's battle.. CK is a monster, and he's going to eat this week.

I haven't seen any of Exoduzt's work either, so I'm a bit intrigued by what he'll bring to the battle this week.

King Keith: Nice lil snippet there. Do you feel you have a shot in these final 6 weeks to hold the title? And how are you feeling about your chances of making the playoffs?

Ink: Hmm... It's hard to say. I know I'll have to sign out for a week for a trip.. So that leaves me five weeks.. They're both possibilities I would say, especially the playoffs, but they're not things I'm particularly striving for... I use the league more as something to keep me writing weekly and I'm satisfied as long as I can keep that up.. My real goal is to get something published.

King Keith: Wow. That's something you don't hear much. What exactly are you trying to get published?

Ink: A book of my material... Some of them are perfected versions of verses I wrote for leagues like this one... Most of them are never released stuff.. As of now, it's going to revolve around the concept of little moments and everyday items.

King Keith: I wish you the best of luck with that man. Well that concludes our discussion for this weeks mag. Any shout outs, fuck yous or thoughts you'd like to share, spill it.

Ink: Shout outs to Nom. Cause he needs to get his ass over here to complete the trifecta. And CK you still owe me a match! Good luck to everyone this week, let's see some HOF worthy verses. And I don't mean by BrassBody standards.

King Keith: Lmao.

Well this marks the end of another edition of the AOWL magazine. Once again, I apologize for the delay & I promise the coming magazines will be posted much earlier & more in-depth. 6 more weeks til the playoffs & this league continues to develop & grow when others are barely scratching the surface. So a big big shout out to all competitors for keeping this league alive. Let's continue to do the damn thing. Shout out to Adonis for the No Show Love breakdowns this week. Shout out to Cereal_Killa & Ink for the interviews. Be on the look out for Split's midseason competitor breakdowns. Also look out for the Power Rankings update & next weeks topic preview. This the King signing out. Holler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwqSuEEn4vI

King Ra.
03-30-2013, 11:01 PM
Again apologize for the delay gentlemen. Hope you enjoy. Holler.

patrown
03-30-2013, 11:11 PM
Very much did enjoy.
Thank you all who participated.
Not to be a diva, but I'm motivated now.
ahoy.

Ink
03-30-2013, 11:21 PM
thanks for putting this mag togetherrr.. and i'm glad slipping you that twenty was enough to get featured.

CK, had no idea you were an aussie.. I've been trying to visit for the longest time.. i got a friend or two over in sydney and adelaide.

Inno
03-30-2013, 11:37 PM
Good shit keith..season is rolling along. Props on the effort to commit
To this league..making it dope every week

Vulgar
03-31-2013, 12:01 AM
Great job on the mag.

Objective
03-31-2013, 12:33 AM
Dope mag as always! You think too highly of me kind sir. It's another ''dry'' week for me. I predict a win to Exo if he drops something.

Objective
03-31-2013, 12:37 AM
Dope mag as always, great interview as well! You think too highly of me kind sir. It's another ''dry'' week for me. I predict a win to Exo if he drops something. (Only scoped through it so far, going to take a second read later on.)

Red glare
03-31-2013, 12:54 AM
entertaining; out standing job;

IamBenT
03-31-2013, 01:33 AM
Fantastic...!! Gonna read the interviews after I finish this darn verse

TYSON
03-31-2013, 01:43 AM
I really love what y'all do here. Totally feels like hip hop reporting live, u know. Dope shit.

Second, I can't help but feel fucked cause no shows got no love in the last week mag. That really sparked a real interest in this league when I seen the no show love. Then I got no showed and seen no week 6 no show love. JS................no show

Cereal_Killa
03-31-2013, 02:47 AM
Ink

Lol yeh come on down.. N u will get that match up my good man..

Brilliant mag, fantastic.. Cheers n thank u

Ink
03-31-2013, 02:50 AM
the girls there are something, that's for sure

King Ra.
03-31-2013, 09:12 AM
TYSON my apologies for that. I will feature your verse in week 8's mag to make up for it, with some commentary.

Adonis
03-31-2013, 12:05 PM
Good shit Keith, was beginning to motivate myself, but you have done the job. I shall vote on a few today depending on whats open.

Adonis
03-31-2013, 12:06 PM
TYSON my apologies for that. I will feature your verse in week 8's mag to make up for it, with some commentary.

As I said, I can do the no-show love from here on out. I can also include the missing week either some time today or for the next mag?

Zen
03-31-2013, 12:58 PM
Dope mag as always

Atheist
03-31-2013, 01:00 PM
Awesume read, nice job

King Ra.
03-31-2013, 06:28 PM
Adonis for the next mag.

Matriarch
03-31-2013, 10:47 PM
League is looking very sexy.

:)

IamBenT
03-31-2013, 11:19 PM
Thanks to this amazing mag I am inspired now to vote on every battle this week.

Nom, where are you!?

Great battles so far, will be voting everywhere

Soulstice
03-31-2013, 11:29 PM
dope mag

Angkor
04-01-2013, 01:53 AM
Thanks to this amazing mag I am inspired now to vote on every battle this week.

Nom, where are you!?

Great battles so far, will be voting everywhere

is Nom = Nom de Plume?

IamBenT
04-01-2013, 10:47 AM
Also, I forgot to mention that I do very much appreciate being mentioned for verse of the week! That verse was alot of fun to write and I'm just glad to be in a league where people read, write, and generally have a good time. Lots of talent out here, don't sleep!

Cereal_Killa
04-01-2013, 11:17 AM
King Keith power rankings..
Mike wrecka vs red glare

$)

Adonis
04-03-2013, 01:01 AM
let's see some HOF worthy verses. And I don't mean by BrassBody standards.

Line of the entire mag right there

Frank
04-03-2013, 06:12 PM
MAGAZINE WAS WELL DONE

YOU LET IT COOK FOR TOO LONG

I WANT THAT SHIT RED NEXT TIME

OUT THE BROILER IN 5 MINUTES

BOM BOM

kapeash

Geno
04-03-2013, 06:19 PM
werd
eyo -this was excellent. illest mags onm the net coming from the aowl -by far.
not sure if i already commented in here. but here it is. make sure i get that big welcome back shout in mag 8

HOLLA ATCHA BOY PEOPLE

Frank
04-03-2013, 06:36 PM
I WILL BATTLE KING KEITH IN A MAGAZINE BATTLE

DUE 24HRS

King Ra.
04-03-2013, 07:32 PM
LMFAOOO.

Ink
04-03-2013, 08:10 PM
Shiet Frank

He straight up just laughed at your challenge

Que
04-03-2013, 08:16 PM
Great Magazine !!! Hey INK A.K.A Cham......Good shit bro!! Propz to the writers and the rest who put this together.

Ink
04-03-2013, 08:24 PM
Cham? I think you have me confused with someone else... Lol

Que
04-03-2013, 08:26 PM
oh snap so you aren't Chameleon?

Ink
04-03-2013, 08:46 PM
who the hell is chameleon? he better be dope if you thought i was him... lol

Que
04-03-2013, 08:50 PM
lmao