PDA

View Full Version : ask a soldier anything thread...

Dove Dozer
04-08-2013, 09:38 PM
Ive served for nearly 10 years on multiple combat deployments. Trained with conventional and SF forces as well.

Ask me anything you might want to know about in regards to being a soldier...

Maybe what its like going through basic training, to going to/preparing for war.

Fuck it. Ask me anything, and ill answer you to the best of my ability..

Shoot! (Pun intended)

Dove Dozer
04-08-2013, 10:09 PM
its all good. Im a nobody here..

Malachi
04-08-2013, 10:09 PM
lol

Dove Dozer
04-08-2013, 10:58 PM
lol

Nothing to ask? All good. Troll away.

~RustyGunZ~
04-08-2013, 11:01 PM
are you potense?

Malachi
04-08-2013, 11:03 PM
you kill anybody?

Masaii
04-08-2013, 11:22 PM
^ you never ask someone that question

@OP from your experience, what was it like coming home from a deployment, did you feel distanced from your family and friends? Did you have PTSD? Just curious if you dont wan to answer thats fine mate.

veritas
04-08-2013, 11:26 PM
How do I become a one man killing machine?

Fig
04-08-2013, 11:35 PM
how much of an unfair advantage has your years of training given you in call of duty? are you a noob?

Dove Dozer
04-08-2013, 11:46 PM
you kill anybody?

Yes.

Split
04-08-2013, 11:47 PM
what was your favorite foreign land

Dove Dozer
04-08-2013, 11:49 PM
^ you never ask someone that question

@OP from your experience, what was it like coming home from a deployment, did you feel distanced from your family and friends? Did you have PTSD? Just curious if you dont wan to answer thats fine mate.

Good question man.

It was a long 7-8 months of redeployment adjustment man. I couldnt sleep because oddly enough things were waaay too quiet for what i was used to. I did distance from fam and friends. Im still not the same, i dont talk about things as much. Im still dealing with nightmares of certain incidents that occured at war.

Dove Dozer
04-08-2013, 11:50 PM
what was your favorite foreign land

Ireland and cyprus. As far as non tactical is concerned and tactical, afghanistan is a nice place without the taliban. Iraq i thought was dirtier than afghanistan

uh-oh
04-08-2013, 11:52 PM
where you from?

america?

or are you a brit/canadian/orsomeotherirrelevant

Dove Dozer
04-08-2013, 11:53 PM
How do I become a one man killing machine?

You dont. Youre only as fast as your slowest soldier. Nothing in the army is a one man effort.

PancakeBrah
04-08-2013, 11:53 PM
Do you think you are a unique sunflower?

Masaii
04-08-2013, 11:55 PM
thanks for the response, good luck with your future mate

Dove Dozer
04-08-2013, 11:57 PM
where you from?

america?

or are you a brit/canadian/orsomeotherirrelevant

From canada. Awaits a canada joke.

Ive heard em all.

Dove Dozer
04-08-2013, 11:58 PM
Do you think you are a unique sunflower?

No the army stripped me of my uniqueness 10 yrs ago

Dove Dozer
04-09-2013, 12:00 AM
how much of an unfair advantage has your years of training given you in call of duty? are you a noob?

I dont play COD.

uh-oh
04-09-2013, 12:01 AM
why did you enlist?

Dove Dozer
04-09-2013, 12:04 AM
why did you enlist?
I didnt have a job i wanted to do for life, so i thought the army would be exciting and allow me some free education and travel.

Plus who doesnt like shooting guns and blowing shit up

uh-oh
04-09-2013, 12:08 AM
wordd

does canada get to keep spoils of war? or are they soft like america and dont let you send shit home anymore?

Dove Dozer
04-09-2013, 12:22 AM
wordd

does canada get to keep spoils of war? or are they soft like america and dont let you send shit home anymore?

Some things may be kept. Its a very touchy topic though as there is one fuck load of paperwork to do. Weapons are a no go. But i have various pieces of afghan clothing. Pics and video of the war, along with some other stuff i wont mention. But yes we can keep some things. I made a sick drill cane while there from a hand carved walking stick. Its adorned with jewels and mounted a commanders commendation coin. Its gorgeous and absolutely priceless.

~RustyGunZ~
04-09-2013, 12:57 AM
are u po*tense

Aesthetic
04-09-2013, 12:59 AM
Are you a peter puffer?

Sharp
04-09-2013, 01:07 AM
How strong a part of your identify is being a soldier? I guess anywhere between job and defining characteristic.

Immaculate
04-09-2013, 01:18 AM
First off *salute* to you for serving your country. I have mad respect for soldiers who put themselves at risk for defending their nation. I have a cousin who is serving in Afghanistan atm, so everytime he comes back, I make sure to visit him.

Anyways *story of my life* lol my question is: what is the greatest memory (during the time you served) that you can bring back and share with your family especially your children?

AND

What is the most weirdest food you had to eat while you were in a foreign country?

Thanks in advance.

Dove Dozer
04-09-2013, 01:31 AM
are you potense?
My bad bro. The fucks that even mean yo

Dove Dozer
04-09-2013, 01:32 AM
Are you a peter puffer?

No. Nice full metal jacket shout out

uh-oh
04-09-2013, 01:33 AM
lol at defending their nation

the wars in the middle east have nothing to do with homeland defense. its strictly corporate interests money/resources etc.

dont take this as me disrespecting the troops tho. most of them are either ignorant kids, or people who have no real choices and the military is the best option on the table. like dude said earlier he joined for a chance to get an education and travel etc. thats why i asked why he joined. i was hoping he wasnt a brainwashed idiot thinking he was making a difference in his country.

Dove Dozer
04-09-2013, 01:33 AM
How strong a part of your identify is being a soldier? I guess anywhere between job and defining characteristic.

A huge part of my identity now, mainly because of the enormous amounts of soldier type training ive done. Im institutionalized.

~RustyGunZ~
04-09-2013, 01:36 AM
My bad bro. The fucks that even mean yo

he is a txtcee i thought someone called u in a thread

was wondering is all

Immaculate
04-09-2013, 01:37 AM

the wars in the middle east have nothing to do with homeland defense. its strictly corporate interests money/resources etc.

dont take this as me disrespecting the troops tho. most of them are either ignorant kids, or people who have no real choices and the military is the best option on the table. like dude said earlier he joined for a chance to get an education and travel etc. thats why i asked why he joined. i was hoping he wasnt a brainwashed idiot thinking he was making a difference in his country.

True too, lol.

Dove Dozer
04-09-2013, 01:39 AM
First off *salute* to you for serving your country. I have mad respect for soldiers who put themselves at risk for defending their nation. I have a cousin who is serving in Afghanistan atm, so everytime he comes back, I make sure to visit him.

Anyways *story of my life* lol my question is: what is the greatest memory (during the time you served) that you can bring back and share with your family especially your children?

AND

What is the most weirdest food you had to eat while you were in a foreign country?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you. My prayers for your homie out in the desert right now.

Im still serving so the memories are still here. But so far greatest memory was helping rebuild a destroyed school so the kids could learn. I thought a lot about my own kids then.

Weirdest food? Good question. Probably stirfry made of goat. However it tasted like beef.

I love ethnic foods so i was alright with something different

Dove Dozer
04-09-2013, 01:41 AM
he is a txtcee i thought someone called u in a thread

was wondering is all

Got ya. Naw i have no aliases. Im new here somewhat.

Dove Dozer
04-09-2013, 01:42 AM
Also Immaculate

Im still serving.

Dominate
04-09-2013, 02:53 AM
Do you consider serving in the army as an endorsement of Canada's foreign policy, or do you consider that you work for the army regardless of what the government commands it to do? And how widespread is that feeling? For example were there any ppl you served with in Iraq or Afghanistan who were of the opinion that the West had no business there?

Dove Dozer
04-09-2013, 09:11 AM
Do you consider serving in the army as an endorsement of Canada's foreign policy, or do you consider that you work for the army regardless of what the government commands it to do? And how widespread is that feeling? For example were there any ppl you served with in Iraq or Afghanistan who were of the opinion that the West had no business there?
Being totally truthful i work for the army no matter what the gov. Commands. Its probably very common tbh. In addition, yes a lot of us felt being in the middle east wasnt our business. But hey.. we were there regardless.

Zen
04-09-2013, 12:14 PM
Idk if this question has been asked but how do locals view you in Afghanistan, Iraq or wherever you're stationed? Do they see you as heroes, bad guys or what?

Witty
04-09-2013, 01:04 PM

Still gotta respect them though, even if they are brainwashed into believing they are fighting for their country, because in their own mind they are defending their own people...and that is respectable whether accurate or not.

Dove Dozer
04-09-2013, 01:35 PM
Idk if this question has been asked but how do locals view you in Afghanistan, Iraq or wherever you're stationed? Do they see you as heroes, bad guys or what?
Its mixed. the locals in Iraq and afghanistan tend to react the same way to military in their country. Id say that a number of them are glad to see troops in their land assisting. However on the same note, some would rather us just leave them to their own devices. which in a lot of cases I agree.

let it be known I am not brainwashed into thinking Im in someone elses country for the greater good. Its war and its brutal, and I dont expect to be liked while occupying another land.

Zen
04-09-2013, 01:37 PM
Great answer. That's kinda how I figured it would be.

Witty
04-09-2013, 01:40 PM
What were the drugs like?

Dove Dozer
04-09-2013, 01:42 PM
What were the drugs like?

which drugs are you referring to? Hence I dont proactively incriminate myself lol

Zen
04-09-2013, 01:47 PM
Technically I don't think it's illegal to say you use drugs. Least that's what I've heard somewhere can't remember where though lol.
Another question, is your time over there mostly routine patrols or is there actually major battles happening? Because from what I hear on the news is it's mainly minor skirmishes. Also how the hell do you find Al queda members? Do they have safehouses in the middle of cities and blend in with everybody or are they out in the middle of nowhere?

Dove Dozer
04-09-2013, 01:57 PM
Technically I don't think it's illegal to say you use drugs. Least that's what I've heard somewhere can't remember where though lol.
Another question, is your time over there mostly routine patrols or is there actually major battles happening? Because from what I hear on the news is it's mainly minor skirmishes. Also how the hell do you find Al queda members? Do they have safehouses in the middle of cities and blend in with everybody or are they out in the middle of nowhere?

on my downtime, honestly I blaze the chronic. when the uniform comes on, its a whole different ballgame. I keep the chronic so far from work its crazy. But I need something to calm my operational stress injuries sustained to my brain. I'll be good though. gotta keep my head in the pad of paper writing lyrics to stay sane sometimes.