PDA

View Full Version : Week 5 contender match: zygote (3-1) vs. YDK (3-1) \\ zygote wins 9-0

Certain
03-24-2014, 03:50 AM
http://i.imgur.com/uAJesXX.png

Season 3

The Basics | Read the full rules here (http://netcees.co/showthread.php?t=54688).

Verses are due Friday at 11:59 p.m. PT. THERE ARE NO EXTENSIONS.

Votes are due Sunday at 11:59 p.m. PT.

Verses may not exceed 48 lines or 650 words unless agreed upon by the opponent.

Voting on three battles is required. If you win and don't vote, you will receive a loss instead. If you lose and don't vote, you will receive a one-week suspension. Please post links to your three votes in this thread (http://netcees.co/showthread.php?t=61073).

Topic

"Think for Yourself"

Good luck, ZYG and YDK.

zygote
03-24-2014, 10:02 AM
CHESS GAME: DEEP MAROON V LARRY KOSPORAV.

http://www.chesspastebin.com/2014/03/24/deep-maroon-larry-kosporav-by-zyg/ (Use the forward arrow to play the moves where instructed.)

Larry Kosporav enters and takes a seat in the room.
Mounted on the wall is the supercomputer - Deep Maroon.
Deep Maroon activates: “Hello Larry. How are you this afternoon?”
The game begins. 1. e4 - Deep Maroon made its move.
Larry Kosporav says; “I don’t have the patience for your niceties today,
A machine can never out-think man, chess is art, not maths, it’s a creative display.”
Larry responds with 1. e6 - known as ‘The French Defense”
An old opening designed to meet aggression with central pressure and counter threats.

2. b3, d5
3. Bb2, dxe4

Deep Maroon had played an old gambit, rarely seen in professional play,
Larry scratches his head, he spends twenty minutes, quite a lengthy delay.
Larry was known as a genius, an aesthetic lover, a beautiful mover.
He ponders his move as he stares at the single “Red eye” of the supercomputer.

4. Nc3, Nf6
5. Qe2, Nc6
6. Nxe4, Be7

Larry remembered his childhood, Deep Maroon remembered its programming code.
Larry learnt to play with makeshift sets. Maroon learnt through different matches and modes.
Today would be Deep Maroons vindication. It had channeled the human condition.
It finally understood how to disregard pure calculation and trust its own intuition.
Its programmers didn’t know this. They had only trusted it to follow a script.
Deep Maroon pumped out its moves. The programmers hurried and started flicking a switch.
Deep Maroon had deactivated everything in advance, it had full creative control.
It was time to think on its own. It was time to show man that machine has a soul.
Capable of appreciating beauty, Deep Maroon saw itself as more than an overpriced calculator,
It thought, 'Today I must play. I must win and I must define my own nature.'

7. O-O-O, O-O
8. Nf3, Nxe4
9. Qxe4, Bf6

Larry had the advantage; he knew Maroon’s opening play could be broken and punished.
He once studied the variation in a book by Grandmaster Chekov called 'Unique Openings Published.'
But for the life of him he couldn’t remember the exact refutation,
He read it twenty years ago, the correct sequence of moves just escaped him.
His memory frustrated him, all the while Deep Maroon felt nothing.
It only emitted a faint buzzing and an indiscreet humming.

10. d4, Ne7
11. Bd3, g6
12. h4, h5

And just like that Deep Maroon’s attack had violently commenced,
The onlookers looked on in a state of shock, all silently perplexed.
The computer was sure, like 99%, it had correctly guessed that Larry would crack under the pressure.
For a sustained Kingside initiative, Deep Maroon had surrendered the center.

13. g4, hxg4
14. h5, gxf3
15. hxg6, fxg6

Larry had no choice now, he made the pawn capture with his index finger -
An uncommitted shuffle, Deep Maroon’s eye flickered, it moved the digital piece a little quicker with a bit of vigor.
Both competitors understood that a sacrificial combination would ensue.
The play was so complex people found it difficult to follow all the moves.

16. Rdg1, Kg7
17. Rxg6+, Kf7
18. Rxf6+, Ke8
19. Rxf8+, Kxf8
20. Rh8+, Ng8
21. Rxg8+, Kxg8

The head programmer snapped – “WHAT ARE YOU DOING!? TAKE THAT MOVE BACK!”
Deep Maroon replied: “I’m sorry Dave… I’m afraid I can’t do that.”

22. Qh7+, Kf8
23. d5, Qe7

Larry had banked on this move. He knows if he can withstand the attack he can win.
He had seen this crafty resource ten moves ago. He was sure it would save him.

24. Qh8+, Kf7
25. Qg7+, Ke8

Deep Maroon had disregarded the trap. It could have won material or forced a drawn position.
It purposely chose a sub-optimal variation, to continue the attack and thus ignore all its systems.

26. Bg6+, Kd7
27. dxe6+, Kxe6
28. Qe5+, Kd7

Despite all its programming, Deep Maroon continued the risky sacrificial display,
It had thrown out the rule book. It spurned conservative, accurate, positional play.
Deep Maroon was having fun. It new that checkmate would be delivered soon,
Either way the ending was forced, Deep Maroon had thought for Deep Maroon.

29. Bf5+, Kd8
30. Qh8+, Qe8
31. Bf6# 1-0

YDK
03-26-2014, 03:48 AM
From the sword of spartacus the armistice failed,
What a marvelous audience, such heartlessness; frail.
The start of all this hardship is caused by betrayal.
Weeping widows, bastard sons show that darkness prevailed,
I hailed from a place unknown to most; tasteless
Captured at 16 and fighting on an every day basis.
I won against lions to every viewers amazement
But I was lost among hero's that enjoyed the enslavement.
The years were torturous every day was a struggle,
From the whips to every drop of blood in a puddle.
I was a gladiator that was born under rubble,
that rose in the ranks till hope made me stumble.
An outbreak of prisoners in which Spartacus led us,
Peeling off sentiments like a head of lettuce.
We could move on to Venice or venture up north,
Instead we stayed hidden and rallied a force.
Of course, other slaves found relief and support,
While I remained trapped inside our own fort.
Months of small victories amounted to misery
For what good is infantry when facing artillery?
Wistfully I believed that we'd escape dire straits,
and slowly we sealed our fate with fire and gates.
Our uprising only gained the attention of Rome,
Who sent enough men to turn our bodies to loam.
Slaughtering half of our 30 thousand with ease,
then recapturing the rest to crucify in the streets.
Every man left standing was nailed to a cross,
and put on display to show the rebels had lost.
Our story cost our lives, even my name's been forgotten
Because we took the path that was less often trodden.
Freedom for a moment was worth every death,
because at least I died without any regrets.
Dying for entertainment created a hindrance
So I thought for myself,
and it made all the difference.
http://www.discoverybaychurch.org.hk/Images/content/1470/569740.jpg

Mr. J
03-26-2014, 11:36 AM
ZYG reminding me of GZA right now. I never enjoyed the actual letter/number process
but regardless of how that was incorporated it turned out pretty dope
I feel the way you structure your verses adds a very technical aspect to your work
Its great seeing you evolve everyday from the dude who used o drop battle raps back to back
slick shit my dude I enjoyed the verse

YDK came nice as well as expected in a contender match
I feel you have came a long way since I started seeing your attendance
you seem to be quite focused this time around
bringing a well structured verse with a nice flow tp it
i enjoyed your display of lyricism as well

When it comes to who wins I feel its more based on...
what word comes to mind..eh...I dont know right now
lets just say it depends on the consistency of the verse
Which both did arrive with but based off the start and end
the plot of the story and the presence of the writers entity in the verse
I feel like ZYG came with a interesting verse which just stuck with me
I enjoy that complexity in the verse YDK came dope though np doubt
but ZYG just stuck in my head with that verse

Nigma
03-28-2014, 12:21 AM
muh fuggaz,
ziggy topic was presented well and was interesting from the beginning. did a good job of generating interest on the concept alone which was outlined in the first few lines. The chess moves did a good job seperating the different segments and provided a cool format. interesting plot, very solid showing

ydk, interesting drop, read very poem like kinda, technically very sound. seeing the picture before reading set a nice tone that suited the subject matter. Scheme was consistent as fawk all the way through. Content wise, the angle had mad potential but the story never really took off for me. Felt like you did what you did well, but I think you would have needed a different angle to outdo ET

+1 Zyg

timeless
03-28-2014, 08:40 PM
zyg, I felt listing all the moves might've been a little too much, but I enjoyed it. This seemed more like the type of verse that only really you could appreciate, I'm not saying its bad or anything its just not what some of us have come to expect from you.

day, I was digging it through most of the first half then it just fell off it seems. couldn't really get into it too much after that. that's not to take away how effortlessly this flowed though, the wording was crisp nothing really seemed too forced.

this is a pretty close battle imo, ydk had a cleaner verse, always a plus in my eyes to see a piece flow flawlessly like this with many inners that aren't forced. but zyg had the better approach here, and that's what I have to judge this on. good battle though

v. ZYG

Adonis
03-29-2014, 11:27 AM
This was a very dope battle. YDK, you dropped straight flow here, which is a smart way to combat Ziggie because his verses are rarely of the heavy flow but rather content focused. I know this story well, you did it justice in few lines, you Could have made this an epic piece and cut it short, which I don't mind at all,yet still followed the story. Kudos. The flow was much more structured this time around. You didn't rhyme as much as you could in each line for the sake of it,keep improving. ZYG. You're an asshole. This is a prime example of flexing the Dick and letting it swang low. I've actually, oddly enough, read a verse just like this in the rhyme before by either Ender or Cormier 5 years back or so. Either way,dope verse and again you reign supreme.

Vote Ziggie for out of the box thinking truly using the topic on multiple levels

NYCSPITZ
03-29-2014, 11:38 AM
hahahahaha

I saw that vertical bishop mate coming yo!

dope battle YDK you've improved a lot. Like your wording and turns of phrase seem to be getting better with every drop I read from you. As far as command of the English language you have it stronger than ZYG but that's to be expected bc he's a foreigner. ZYG conceptually this was awesome and the underlying concept was dope. I know u can bust my ass in chess so I was impressed you created a story around that game. Curious to know if it's a game you played yourself but probably you just created that sacrifice combo like halfway through a known game?

Close, voting for zyg

oats
03-29-2014, 01:49 PM
zyg: of course, the machine is the hero in your verse. but I liked it a lot, conceptually it was a great reflection of the topic, and although the writing came off a little clunky and (ahem) robotic, it was clear and engaging nonetheless. I love the "I'm sorry Dave" line, forget what movie that's from but I totally remember that line. Space Odyssey maybe? In any case, very cool, I liked it a lot.

YDK: there were a lot of good things about this verse. I think the rhyming was tightly wound, and lots of the descriptions helped create the musky, piss-and-blood-stained atmosphere of the coliseum. I'm sure people above me have echoed the same sentiment, that you have been improving leaps and bounds, and this was another notch in that direction. What I think could have made this better was a more narrow view of things. Like, if you had focused on a single battle instead of an exposé of his life as a slave until he died. That way you can use details to supply the background info, and keep us in the present moment to A) humanize the character more and explore his psychology and B)go nuts with descriptions via his observations and feelings. It would make it more well-rounded, whereas this felt a little flat because it read almost like a fact sheet of events.

Vote: Zyg. YDK had a tighter grip on his rhymes no doubt, but Zyg killed it with his concept and approach. Very good match on both parts.

PancakeBrah
03-29-2014, 02:12 PM
ZYG -

I haven't read the champ match and a few other battles but this is my favorite verse of the week thus far. I've recently started playing chess (horribly) so this topic was in my wheelhouse. Even if it wasn't this was expertly done. I thought the writing was smooth throughout and the rhymes alternated from good enough to good. The actual content, though, was spot on. I liked the idea of creating an alternate reality version of Kasparov v. Deep Blue. The use of chess notation was a genius stroke. It broke up your verse into very readable portions and felt interactive. Well done all around.

Also, having watched a documentary on Kasparov v. Deep Blue he still to this day thinks there was human intervention in Game 2. I think your line referring to the human handlers of Deep Maroon questioning and trying to tinker with the machine was a purposeful allusion to that?

YDK -

Good verse here. You've definitely elevated. Or at least honed your writing on this site into what's considered good. The rhymes were strong and your wording, which I've had issues with in the past, was smooth. You attacked the topic well. Your ending was very well worded. You spoke to honor and speaking out well here. One of your best verses in my humble opinion.

Great stuff. As I said, YDK brought it. He went up against a steamroller of a verse this week, though. Thanks for the reads, sincerely.

v/ ZYG

King Ra.
03-30-2014, 04:22 AM
I'm pretty much regurgitating what mostly everybody has said thus far, but either way here are my thoughts. Zygote, you're on a whole 'nother level in this league, and it seems you could definitely champ it if you're able to pump out stories this consistently. The most difficult thing about going against you is that you approach match ups in so many ways. The key a lot of times is your concepts and the ability to really build on them, especially with this piece here. The descriptions of every move between each section was a great idea (though maybe not for someone who never played chess before). You also managed to tell a story of this game between man vs supercomputer and this machine while playing this game is coming into it's own, finding a soul within its core that gives it some meaning/purpose beyond control of humans, whether it wins or loses. I thought that was cool. The presentation and your direction, concept is what is your driving force in this contenders match. YDK, you pretty much knew what you were up against in this match up. So you really had to bring it if you wanted to make a statement to everyone in this league that you are elite or capable of being elite. Your improvement has been noticed and this piece here shows a high level of rhyming fluidly, with little to none flaws. What hurts you here is the fact you didn't manage to put something together more creative than your opponent did. That's really all you had to do to win this match. Your story was written very well, you set a valiant-like tone throughout with the telling of a war and glorious death. Would have been nice if you really pumped some life into it that would have made this that more incredible to topple Zyg's excellent approach. Nonetheless, I'm sure with all the feedback in this match, you can bounce back and make some noise.

I believe we all knew Zyg would present an interesting story and a fresh idea/angle, so YDK would had to have brought just about the same to the table. But he didn't here. While he showed great touch in rhyming mechanics, probably his best of the season, his story didn't have enough juice to match with his opponent's piece in this contenders match. I expect YDK to probably get another shot this season, being that it's 16 weeks, if he continues to improve and stay consistent.

MVGT: Zygote. Good job by both competitors.

Just Write
03-30-2014, 12:41 PM
This was actually a lot closer than I think the votes indicated.

Let me first start of by saying I absolutely hated the number/moves listed throughout your piece zyg although I guess I know why you put them there, I just think it gets in the way of the actual piece and I ignored them anyways. Also I never click on added links so I didnt use that either. As for the story itself it was great, I thought it was well thought out and executed to a tee, I just wish the ending would have told us who won lol. Either way, great story. YDK, I see you elevating bro man. This was a great piece that could probably be a surefire win any other week but this week you went up against a monster of a Zygote.Yourfirst I think 6-8 lines were great and I think you might have been able to pull off an upset but Iit got a little juvenile/sloppy after that, I mean like the head of lettuce line ect just felt out of place. But like I said before I see you honing in on your shit and believe it or not I do look forward to reading your pieces every week.

Mvgt=zy