View Full Version : AOWL SEASON 3 MAGAZINE — EDITION 7

Certain
04-10-2014, 05:16 AM
http://i.imgur.com/uAJesXX.png
Season 3, Edition 7

That Which Doesn't Kill Us
INTRODUCTION by Certain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3VjaCy5gck

Well, that was worrisome. I wasn't sure I'd be back here, writing this magazine, at one point a few days ago. I wasn't sure the interest was still there from this league and its members. But you guys proved me wrong, and I'm thrilled. We have a great week ahead, with an absolutely stacked lineup featuring so many new sign-ins I had to ask oats to break them all down. Otherwise, this magazine is all me. And I have a few things on my mind, so let's get to it.

WHY I CARE by Certain
This is my requiem to a writing genre that didn't exist 20 years ago and might not exist 20 years from now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C99iG4HoO1c

I was 11 when I wrote my first text rap on the Internet. It was in 2000, shortly after my mom finally ponied up for CompuServe. I popped my cherry on a website based on the idea that 2Pac was still alive, which is such a 2000 concept that it cripples me with nostalgia. There wasn't much to an 11-year-old's text rap verses: mostly guns, bitches and blow. I had that "Thug Life" tatted on my chest. Tell me can you feel me?

I was 14 when I first entered the RapMusic.com Storytelling/Topical League, known by its members as the RSTL. My first verse was to the topic of, "You are an inanimate object." I wrote about being a plastic bag, and my verse wove the story of going from a grocery store to a lonely man's kitchen to picking up dog shit. That ending killed me. I was 14. I won that battle.

There's something to this genre. It has hooks in me, even as someone who writes for a living and does not have any involvement in the hip hop scene beyond consuming its music. I leave, but I come back because there's nowhere else that I can express myself in this way. The demands on rhymes and complexity make it one of the most limiting genres of poetry out there. They also make it addictive, even more than the thrill of winning a big battle.

In the past when I've come back, it's been short stints under the veil of anonymity. I thought this trip would be the same, thought I'd be done at the end of the Writing Challenge League. I thought I'd be done at the end of Season 2 of this league. I thought I'd be done competing when I started this season. Yet here I am, signed back in, back on the grind, pushing my way toward 200-some-odd victories.

The success does matter to me, but it's not just that. It's this genre of writing, this form of expression. Here we take challenges and mold our art to them, around them, in a way that stimulates all of our creative energies. It's one thing to make art in a vacuum, another to be commissioned and evaluated. "The Mona Lisa" is not "The Starry Night" because Leonardo Da Vinci was painting for a rich benefactor. He had to meet the benefactor's demands while still providing something of artistic relevance. He turned an ugly woman into a beautiful painting.

The message board is dying as a whole across the Internet. Change is good. Social media has advanced to the point where we are even more in contact with our peers, and message boards are unwieldy in the modern era. Text rap still exists, on Facebook and Tumblr and where ever else, though it's not as organized and detailed as it once was.

But there's something to being the last. If we are the last, we need to make it proud. We all at one time or another loved this hobby, even those too proud to admit it. We invested time and effort and creativity into it because it mattered. Maybe it was mostly the winning for you, maybe the opportunity to explore writing in new contexts. Maybe you'd never tried anything like it before because you were 11 years old when it started, and the addiction grew from there.

I've come to approach this league, if not this season, as the last bastion. I've seen other sites, and the talent level doesn't compare. That played a major role in my desire to run this season of this league, and it's played a major role in my being willing to sign up when desperate times called for desperate measures. I'm 26 now, and I'm not ready to see this thing I've spent half my life doing just crumble and fade away.

So I'll keep trying (http://www.urbanprowlers.net/vb/showthread.php?t=16143).

Week 6 Rewind
BATTLE REVIEWS by Certain
Well, that was brutal. Only eight verses were dropped last week, though they almost all were of high caliber. The philosopher quotes were not easy to approach but served a lot of writers well. The voting was so crappy it required a one-day extension. But here we are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5ihsxw_1n0

1. oats beats zygote 4-3. | “Conquer yourself rather than the world.” — René Descartes
This is my favorite battle of the season. oats came with the very direct take on the topic, eschewing traditional storytelling to write about how unfixable the world we live in is and how instead the better approach is to worry about fixing ourselves and adjusting to our surroundings. The plainness of his take was augmented by the complexity of his verse. He took all sorts of forms in showing exactly what he meant, while maintaining the top-tier mechanics we come to expect. He took the broad angle of the topic, while zygote really went right at it and encapsulated the topic perfectly. In his typical fashion, he went with an esoteric approach involving two kingdoms, one ruled by Sartre and one by Descartes, each with his own philosophies. These two societies came to war over a hill and domination, but the ultimate truth lied at the end. If we think, therefore we are, what is war? Is it a part of our minds? Is that what this conquering means? oats ultimately beat zygote in the only way anyone can beat zygote: He out-wrote him. Voters favored his mechanical finesse and more advanced techniques to zygote's directness, though zygote actually rhymed really well this week. I have a feeling zygote will make another title match by season's end.

2. King Ra. beats Mike Wrecka 5-4. | “Life can only be understood backwards.” — Søren Kierkegaard
These two both had a lot to prove, so they did. King Ra. got the win largely because he thought and wrote bigger. His uniquely structured story reflected on life and its meaning, and he did so with a smooth style that included a solid flow. Mike Wrecka went with an even more direct take on the topic, writing from the perspective of someone who has had his life flash before him as he dies. Straight-forward writing does not always sit well with voters, and Mike Wrecka found that out.

3. timeless beats Adonis 7-2. | “The purpose of all wars is peace.” — Saint Augustine
To be honest, both of these writers seemed to struggle with perhaps the best topic of the round. timeless wrote about our war on Earth and the ecosystem. Though that was a clever-enough concept within the context of this topic, the content felt trite because it's been done so often. Adonis came up with a much more original idea, with God wondering why he is the root cause of war so often. But his execution really failed him, with awkward phrasing and no sense of our narrator's mystique. Writing from God's perspective is tough.

4. Totoro wins via Mr. J no-show. | “Happiness is not an ideal of reason but of imagination.” — Immanuel Kant
Another excellent topic was wasted, Totoro at least delivered a rather nice, brief take on it. Because Totoro's verse was so short, it would be easy to underrate it. But he very carefully created a character and an existential dilemma, then smirked as he finished it off with a perfect ending. What makes Totoro stand out usually is his his word choice, but here it was more than that. When he attacks a topic with this kind of thought, he is one of the best. Too often he'll write longer verses that don't serve the topic the way this one did. Mr. J disappointingly no-showed, his second after not doing so once last year.

5. Frank wins via El Pancake no-show. | “The corruption of the best things gives way to the worst.” — David Hume
I was very disappointed this battle didn't go down. Frank wrote a very good, very Frank-esque verse about a girl who smoked dosed fake marijuana and died as a result. She seemed to have been dealing with some shit at home and lost her mind in the synthetic marijuana. I'm not sure this all made sense scientifically, but the way Frank presented was believable and interesting. He could have done more to develop both the girl and the narrator, a bystander in all this. But instead he focused on the images, which were sharp and unique. The rhyming, extended throughout the verse as always by Frank, was superb. El Pancake ducked the Season 2 championship rematch, though.

6. Just Write and YDK both no-show. | “The only antidote to mental suffering is physical pain.” — Karl Marx
Both of these guys claimed to love the topic. Then they disappeared.

Week 7 Preview
POWER RANKINGS by Certain
After several weeks off power rankings duty, your trusty moderator is back to give you some sense of order, albeit the kind that does not factor into anything other than this arbitrary list. Because so few people showed last week, this list will include anyone signed in for Week 7 who already has participated in the league.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG1VVFfOnYQ

10. Adonis (3-3)
Our favorite California pervert (sorry, Fig) knows how to bounce back. Last week he let his writing fall apart on him despite a good concept. I expect him to return to form this week, though he has been a bit up and down all season.

9. Mike Wrecka (2-4)
My co-moderator is not happy. He thinks his record should be 5-1 right now, and his point is substantiated by the vote totals against him: He has two one-vote losses and one two-vote loss, along with a no-show. But his verse last week was very good, and he should bounce back.

8. King Ra. (3-3)
The other half of Vetwork now gets to go against his mercurial partner. This will be a big test for King Ra., a talented writer who often goes for big approaches. Can he write a verse that feels bigger in scope than Frank? King Ra. has proven himself with wins against Mike Wrecka and Mr. J already.

7. timeless (4-2)
Through vigilance, creativity and smooth rhyming, timeless has landed a spot in the championship match. Now he has to face oats, who beat him earlier this season. But timeless' evolution continues and makes him a growing force to be reckoned with.

6. El Pancake (2-2)
It'd be easy to say the Season 2 champion has underachieved this time around, but he actually has written very strong verses in all three weeks he's shown. There's no doubt El Pancake can return to the top of these rankings and this league. But he drops for ducking Frank last week, whatever the reason..

5. Vividlyvague (4-1)
I was disappointed to see Vividlyvague drop out after a very strong effort in the title match threeway against oats and Frank. But he's back now, and ever verse he writes seems to tighten his style and improve his rhymes and narrative focus. He's improved quite a bit since joining us.

4. dead man (0-1)
The effort level is the only reason dead man falls this low. He no-showed in Week 1, but that was understandable with The Winter Topical championship match overlapping. Now he's here, and that should scare all the other writers. It's easy to see him ripping off five or six wins in a row.

3. Frank (5-1)
He feels wronged by his loss to oats and now may be a week away from getting his revenge. And Frank always is much better with motivation.

2. zygote (4-2)
I don't have much to say here other than, this man is our most creative writer and does not seem to get the respect he deserves.

1. oats (6-0)
The champion's record speaks for itself. But what has been most impressive about oats is how he has stood out in every element of writing. He has it all and is the most well-rounded writer on this site. It's good to see that manifest in this unbeaten league run.

WELCOME PARTY by oats
With the boatload of newcomers, I figured it was worth it to have someone introduce us all. Who better than the champion to offer hospitality?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdiRhzTsSnk

Fig (0-0)
More known for his presence in the discussion, Fig is a deceptively talented writer. Admittedly, I had to do some research to discover that, but his complex use of language and ability to write a smart, emotionally compelling verse is impressive. He probably relies a little too much on his rhyming, which, while good, can sometimes create lines too dense to make much sense of on their own. In any case, he has a poetic, imaginative style that will likely turn some heads.

fraze (0-0)
At the time of this writing, Fraze has 2 posts: one vote in the Adonis - Timeless battle, and his post signing in last week. Not a whole lot to go off of, but it definitely smells like an alias to me. Based off his name, I’d say he is a modern-day street poet with a knack for clever phrasing and urban insight. The misspelling of his name is purposeful, believe it or not, and serves to give him street cred in a place where spelling will never be as cool as it should be.

Split Eight (0-1)
The prodigal son returns. After his much-maligned disappearance from the site, Split looks to reclaim his spot as one of the top topical talents NC has to offer. He has an elegance to his wording, and excels with metaphorical musings with heavy emotional undertones. It’ll be interesting to see if his time away will help or hinder his writing, or if he will lean too much on the usual tropes stippled across his writing.

Witty (0-0)
We last saw our Irish hero in an epic no-show meltdown co-starring Rawn, so it’s safe to say that all judgmental eyes will be on Witty to see if he cries wolf again. Fingers crossed that he does show, because when he is on his game Witty can be a force. I’d have to imagine such tags are getting tiresome for him; the “talented underachiever” eventually just fades away into “the underachiever,” so Witty has a lot to prove here.

dead man (0-1)
The Season One champ returns. In any league, Black is shortlisted as a favorite to win, and for good reason. He’s achieved a degree of mastery in this niche of writing, coupling seamless rhyme schemes with unparalleled imagery into larger allegories, often excelling when he delves into human psychology. His loss in the Winter Tourney final showed how he can meander a bit too much at times, and can lose traction with the reader if his imagery overpowers his sense of narrative movement.

Certain (0-0)
The shipbuilder/captain is now a passenger as well. Certain is an all-time talent and well-respected veteran with a smooth authority over his words. He possesses a refined quality that is rare among topicalists nowadays, also making him a formidable opponent. Certain’s writing is as good as it gets, but his verses could stand to improve with some strategic risk-taking conceptually.

Rhetoric (0-0)
I originally tried to recruit Kayge at the start of the league, only to be denied due to his other obligations. To me, he’s in that same boat as Nigma where he’s a few big wins away from throwing his name around in that nebulous “top-tier” pool, making his participation in this talent-laden league a big opportunity for him. He has all the tools: strong rhyming, unique and dynamic angles, and a creative wit that adds depth to his writing. It’s been a while since I’ve read a Kayge verse, but I expect him to make an immediate impact should he stick around.

Bladed Thesis (0-0)
Much hullaballoo surrounded the re-emergence of Bladed Thesis, a highly-regarded legend of yesteryear. It’ll be interesting to see how his style meshes with the trends of the current topical scene, but judging by his verse in OM, he seems to be right in-step . I’m not sure if he’s been active anywhere lately or not, so rust may be a legitimate hurdle as well, especially in the context of consistent participation, but only time will tell what kind of run he has in store.

Vividlyvague (4-1)
Vivid has made a name for himself, and a week removed from a loss in the championship match, he should be back better than ever. He’s a wildcard because he continues to make adjustments that improve his writing, and it’s scoring points with the voters. In the chat thread he has admitted to not having the attention span/patience to edit his work, which seems to be an obvious place to start for his continued development, as his work can sometimes be a little loose and sloppy (just how he likes it).

PREDICTIONS by Certain
We return to story leads for the final choose-your-own-topic week of the season. And we get a huge boost of new blood, with top writers from around the Internet joining us, hopefully to stay. And Witty promises to show. We shall see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icBflcYZhpo

Week 7 championship: oats (6-0) vs. timeless (4-2)
These two gentlemen faced a few weeks ago, and oats won resolutely. To be blunt, I don't see that changing this week. timeless has made progress with every verse he has dropped, but he still lacks his own style and the kind of confidence in handling topics that oats has, as the veteran wordsmith. oats also is on a complete role and seems to have the voters in his corner to a degree, which is not to dismiss any of his wins. And there's that seemingly fated one-on-one rematch against Frank hanging in the balance, though that would require Frank winning as well. Prediction: oats 70-30.

Week 7 contender match: Frank (5-1) vs. King Ra. (3-3)
It's the Vetwork story-off! Let's be clear here: These two gentlemen have very, very different styles but both come up with epic concepts and writing approaches. For King Ra., it's all about the polish. He tries to maximize everything about his verses, often with all sorts of intri***ies defining his work. Frank's enormousness is purely based on his bombastic writing. He stretches rhymes for entire verses and does all sorts of crazy storytelling. He writes like he's Ghostface Killah but the acid made him lucid, somehow. The key here will be for King Ra. to match or top Frank's creativity. Prediction: Frank 62-38.

zygote (4-2) vs. Vividlyvague (4-1)
BATTLE OF THE WEEK CANDIDATE! I love this battle, and I'm glad it's finally (to my knowledge) happening. All three of the losses for these two have come at the hands of our current champion, oats, so let's not read too much into the records. The styles are drastically different. Both are creative as hell about how to approach topics. But Vividlyvague tends to let the rhymes guide him in his storytelling in a style that seems to meld Frank and maybe ThisIsDAM or some other multi-heavy writer. zygote, on the other hand, only rhymes when he feels like it but can do so with ridiculous ease. He's on a tear, and I have to favor him. Prediction: zygote 54-46.

El Pancake (2-2) vs. Split Eight (0-1)
BATTLE OF THE WEEK CANDIDATE! Please show. Gentlemen, we are friends. Show because if you show, this is the best matchup of this incredibly strong week. El Pancake and Split Eight both have very fragile writing styles, full of so much grace and featuring words put together in such specific orders. El Pancake is the much more polished and versatile writer, and he seems like the more natural fit for the straight-forward storytelling typically required by story leads. But Split Eight may be the most talented, if unpolished, writer around when he really tries. If he can dig down, he can pull the upset. Prediction: El Pancake 57-43.

Adonis (3-3) vs. Mike Wrecka (2-4)
Comparing these two writers is very tricky. Both are coming off tough losses, with Adonis knowing he could have cleaned up his verse and made the championship match while Mike Wrecka wonders if he needs to increase his complexity. The thing that initially had me leaning toward Mike Wrecka here is that he seems better built for story lead topics. But in Week 3, Adonis posted one of his best verses and nearly upended Vulgar, while Mike Wrecka no-showed. My best guess is that Adonis works in the abstract with one of the more vague topics, while Mike Wrecka spins a more creative and substantial story. Prediction: Mike Wrecka 51-49.

Totoro (0-4) vs. Witty (0-2)
Witty promises to show, but I'm not commenting on him until he actually does. Totoro probably should drop votes for once, as he would be 2-2 if he had done his required voting every week. He's one of the best, and he's much more likely to show than Witty, which is crazy to think about. Prediction: Totoro 59-41.

dead man (0-1) vs. Bladed Thesis (0-0)
BATTLE OF THE WEEK CANDIDATE! These two apparently go back a ways, which I hope will motivate them. Bladed Thesis dropped his verse already, but I haven't read it. I did read a verse of his in Open Mic, though, and it's clear that he has a great grasp of flow. He rode rhymes hard in that example, but it worked for what the piece was, and I'm interested in seeing if he can do it while tackling a topic. dead man, as we all know, is one of the very best to ever do it. And the interesting thing here is that dead man can't really be outrhymed. Story leads week isn't up his alley as much, though. This prediction comes with a tinge of ignorance toward Bladed Thesis, but I would pick dead man against almost anyone. Prediction: dead man 66-34.

Certain (0-0) vs. rhetoric (0-0)
Certain is mediocre at best. He thinks punctuation is writing. He writes about womanly topics. He tries too hard. He isn't very original, not like he used to be. He has fallen off hard in the past decade. rhetoric apparently also goes by the name Kayge and has a reputation as a good writer. My guess is that he will show and probably beat that overrated fatty. Prediction: rhetoric 100-0.

fraze (0-0) vs. Fig (0-0)
I have no idea who fraze is, and he only has two posts total. This makes it very unlikely he will show. Fig, though, is guaranteed not to show. He is cute as a button, though. Are buttons cute? I've never thought about the cuteness of a button. Prediction: fraze 50-0-50 (double no-show).

Brian Bryan (0-0) vs. MMLP (0-0)
Brian Bryan is Baron Mynd is Lars, and therefore Brian Bryan was The Winter Topical's champion and is in the conversation for best topical writer on this here site and the Internet in general. He is an established veteran known for his versatility and ability to completely strangle any topic. I have read only one verse by MMLP, also from a battle with Baron Mynd. He used a fairly simple but nontraditional rhyme scheme and showed no interest in that particular topic, so hopefully he is more inspired this week. Prediction: Brian Bryan 73-27.

Only Makes Us Stronger
CONCLUSION

First, I want to thank oats for his part in this magazine. But mostly I want to thank all those who signed in, or at least all those who signed in and actually plan on showing up and voting. I'll keep my effort level high for as long as you make it worthwhile. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvW8cSRUU38

King Ra.
04-10-2014, 06:23 AM
Salute Certain.

Witty
04-10-2014, 06:25 AM
This was greatness, good job fellas.

Witty
04-10-2014, 06:37 AM
Certain vs Kayge is also a botw contender btw...if both come correct then it will probably be the best battle of this week imo.

Died a little at the prediction for it tho lol

dyedinthewool
04-10-2014, 08:03 AM
Bon iver and Chrvches though? >.<

You be knowing.

I wish i was in this week. With the batch of writers doing their thing this week, how can I not find the inspiration.

Great magazine guys, as usual!

Split
04-10-2014, 08:04 AM
had my verse written and Safari crashed so there's that.

PancakeBrah
04-10-2014, 10:06 AM
Call me fragile again m8 see if I don't wreck u

Nah jp my nigga

Good work certain! Will read in full post work

Certain
04-10-2014, 12:35 PM
Bon iver and Chrvches though? >.<

You be knowing.

I make the music choices without thinking about the others, but this week ended up really hipster-y.

Next week will be all trap rap.

dyedinthewool
04-10-2014, 12:37 PM
I make the music choices without thinking about the others, but this week ended up really hipster-y.

Do you my g.

Bladed Thesis
04-10-2014, 12:41 PM
66/34.

Brian Bryan
04-10-2014, 12:42 PM
keep trying (http://www.urbanprowlers.net/vb/showthread.php?t=16143).

Script was me in that link you posted.

oats
04-10-2014, 02:24 PM
Dope mag, enjoyed the op Ed a lot.

NYCSPITZ
04-10-2014, 02:36 PM
yo oats is a faggot LOL

oats
04-10-2014, 03:37 PM
yo oats is a faggot LOL

:/

NYCSPITZ
04-10-2014, 03:39 PM
jk oats is smart and handsome and will live in asia!!! :] we r bros because u eat rice

Witty
04-10-2014, 03:40 PM
i eat rice too!

NYCSPITZ
04-10-2014, 03:42 PM
Witty is a very very Western euro with an affinity for GUINNESS and likes drugs by the look of his avatar = ]. I like foxes too Witty yaaaaaaaay

Witty
04-10-2014, 03:44 PM
U know me so well <3

NYCSPITZ
04-10-2014, 03:45 PM
LESS THAN THREE

Witty
04-10-2014, 03:47 PM
lmao

rhetoric
04-10-2014, 03:47 PM
good mag fellas, thank you for the introduction spot Oats . . . I signed in because i hate seeing people i know in a struggling league . . and it gives me the opportunity to experiment with different angles of writing without the pressure of having that need to win every week.

glad to be here, hope the league benefits from my entry

NYCSPITZ
04-10-2014, 03:51 PM
your hubris inspires me to SHAKESPEAREAN LEVELS

oats
04-10-2014, 04:21 PM
jk oats is smart and handsome and will live in asia!!! :] we r bros because u eat rice

My spot on the couch for you has regained it's availability. Come to the land of your forefathers.

NYCSPITZ
04-10-2014, 04:44 PM
My spot on the couch for you has regained it's availability. Come to the land of your forefathers.

ENGLISH TEACHER OATS!!!!

Certain
04-10-2014, 04:50 PM
oats just broke my heart.

oats
04-10-2014, 05:35 PM
Autocorrect! Make no mistake, I am as much a grammar nazi as anyone, but sometimes typing on a phone ruins it. Apologies, everyone. I will do better.

d0ubt
04-10-2014, 05:37 PM
i've always been confused because i've gotten into arguments with people always correcting me. is it ITS or IT'S that is correct?

Witty
04-10-2014, 05:43 PM
i've always been confused because i've gotten into arguments with people always correcting me. is it ITS or IT'S that is correct?

Depends on what you are trying to say.

It's = It is

Its is a possesive pronoun.

If you can replace it with 'his' or 'her' there should not be an apostrophe.

oats
04-10-2014, 05:45 PM
It's is "it is."

Its is possessive.

Proof of autocorrect is attached. Hopefully this exonerates me.

Witty
04-10-2014, 05:49 PM
Thank God for that, you nearly destroyed Netcees, if oats didn't know the differene between it's and its, I think the internet would fall apart tbh.

oats
04-10-2014, 05:52 PM
As long as everyone is safe now, I can rest easy.

e11even
04-10-2014, 05:56 PM

You DO be knowing!!

<3

This mag is the most important to-date, due to the fact that there almost wasn't one. Great job guys.

e11even
04-10-2014, 06:04 PM
Sidebar: Oats, the way you look is how I always pictured Certain for some reason.

Certain
04-10-2014, 06:16 PM
I am as much a grammar nazi as anyone

http://i.imgur.com/qBFn7ML.gif

oats
04-10-2014, 06:43 PM
Vividlyvague where did you see a picture of me?
Certain you wouldn't be the first to doubt me and be made a fool for it. Choose your gifs wisely.

d0ubt
04-10-2014, 06:45 PM
ah, i always thought even the possessive form was it's, because you use the apostrophe when you use a name when it's like "d0ubt's property", type of deal. thank you guys.

e11even
04-10-2014, 06:45 PM
I'm pretty sure you threaded an open mic video and a recent beard pic with a sausage dog. Am I mistaken?

e11even
04-10-2014, 06:46 PM
ah, i always thought even the possessive form was it's, because you use the apostrophe when you use a name when it's like "d0ubt's property", type of deal. thank you guys.

The English language is funky like that.

d0ubt
04-10-2014, 06:47 PM
yes, yes it is.

it has many rules, but often times it says fuck the rules.

oats
04-10-2014, 06:47 PM
No you're not mistaken, just curious.

Pay no attention to me today, I'm sleep-deprived so my brain is all sorts of fried.

Witty
04-10-2014, 06:51 PM
No you're not mistaken, just curious.

Pay no attention to me today, I'm sleep-deprived so my brain is all sorts of fried.

I know the feels bro.

Certain
04-10-2014, 07:05 PM
Certain you wouldn't be the first to doubt me and be made a fool for it. Choose your gifs wisely.

"I am as much of a grammar Nazi as anyone."

oats
04-10-2014, 07:13 PM
Incorrect. You fail to recognize how malleable English is. Of isn't necessary and nazi need not be capitalized because I'm not using it formally as a reference to the third reich, but as a common noun.

Journalistic formality is not the end-all of grammar rules.

oats
04-10-2014, 07:16 PM
Ex: Many a man have tried to correct my grammar, only to realize that there is no singular bible of usage or syntax.

Mike Wrecka
04-10-2014, 07:17 PM
Kelsey Grammer > grammar

Certain
04-10-2014, 07:43 PM
Incorrect. You fail to recognize how malleable English is. Of isn't necessary and nazi need not be capitalized because I'm not using it formally as a reference to the third reich, but as a common noun.

Journalistic formality is not the end-all of grammar rules.

You can argue about the "of," admittedly. But you cannot argue about the capitalization of "Nazi" or "Third Reich." "Nazi" only exists as a proper noun.

oats
04-10-2014, 07:52 PM
Also incorrect, though you're right that I should've capsed Third Reich. Nazi does exist as a word to describe someone who is authoritarian or imposes their views on others, similar to how the Bible should be capsed but bible can also be loosely used to describe an authoritative manual on something.

Let's just agree that English is a fluid, creative language that is at its best when it's flexible. But in order to break the rules effectively you have to know them first.

NYCSPITZ
04-10-2014, 07:54 PM
APOCRYPHAL TOME I'm POPPING UR DOME ur NOT IN MY ZONE

e11even
04-11-2014, 12:06 AM
APOCRYPHAL TOME I'm POPPING UR DOME ur NOT IN MY ZONE

...says Oats to a more-than-certain Certain.

dyedinthewool
04-11-2014, 12:07 AM
...says Oats to a more-than-certain Certain.

:x

e11even
04-11-2014, 12:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsuVMdnF8A0

This is overtaking my soul right now.

dyedinthewool
04-11-2014, 01:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsuVMdnF8A0

This is overtaking my soul right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoLTPcD1S4Q

Fo lyfe.

e11even
04-11-2014, 01:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoLTPcD1S4Q

Fo lyfe.

The song was great. That video was greater. I wish people made quality videos more often.

e11even
04-11-2014, 01:25 AM
Speaking of great music with cool vids... is one of my faves...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qybUFnY7Y8w

Certain
04-11-2014, 01:27 AM
They actually do. Videos have improved a lot even as MTV has died. Arcade Fire's "Reflektor" experiential video was awesome. Some other excellent ones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3af4Gz4Daw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GOZjlwIwfk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLCqSMDEQsA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUyKdaNKHzo

Certain
04-11-2014, 01:27 AM
We had the same thought on OK Go. I don't even like OK Go, but that video is so fucking good.

dyedinthewool
04-11-2014, 01:34 AM
Speaking of great music with cool vids... is one of my faves...

So fucking cool. Not a huge fan of them but good song for sure

Certain
04-11-2014, 02:42 AM
So fucking cool. Not a huge fan of them but good song for sure

The worst part of that video is the song. OK Go's lead singer might be the worst.

e11even
04-11-2014, 03:33 AM
i concur. the mustache guy looks ridiculously funny though.

another one that was annoying at first but kinda grew on me was the one in ltime-lapse photography. they eventually turned visionary into try-hard. kinda tragic.

Certain
04-11-2014, 03:44 AM
Your time-lapse comment reminded me of another cool video with a song that doesn't rise to the occasion in my opinion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbd4h1kaFlY

oats
04-11-2014, 03:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVhjGJ13iIs

e11even
04-11-2014, 04:18 AM
i liked both of those, and i'm not familiar with either.

no more mainstream shit for me. i'll look into this stuff.

Certain
04-11-2014, 04:22 AM
There's much better Aesop Rock to dig into.

e11even
04-11-2014, 04:38 AM
so i heard. i'll start with the ones you guys touched on last week.

Certain
04-11-2014, 04:44 AM
Aesop Rock for beginners:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iujjGCoF4g

timeless
04-11-2014, 08:24 AM
Aesop Rock for beginners:

you got to go back to float even though it wasn't that good, he didn't get good til labor days came out. 1,000 deaths was so good though.

timeless
04-11-2014, 09:31 AM
you got to go back to float even though it wasn't that good, he didn't get good til labor days came out. 1,000 deaths was so good though.

3x as good, Aesop gets that regular play.

Bladed Thesis
04-11-2014, 10:05 AM
Float was always my favorite Aesop album as it is just more consistent.

e11even
04-11-2014, 12:35 PM
Going on a youtube treasure hunt.

dyedinthewool
04-11-2014, 12:46 PM
Going on a youtube treasure hunt.

I wish you a joyous journey, for a youtube treasure hunt is better than an easter egg hunt

e11even
04-11-2014, 12:52 PM
:)

Certain
04-11-2014, 01:17 PM
Keep this thread suitable for work.

Witty
04-11-2014, 01:17 PM
my bad.

PancakeBrah
04-11-2014, 01:28 PM
Hello Witty how are you today?

Witty
04-11-2014, 01:35 PM
http://media1.giphy.com/media/13MS5BwKSJFylq/200.gif

Witty
04-11-2014, 01:35 PM
Hello Witty how are you today?

Quite bad, it was good and then it stopped being good, and now it sucks.

How are you?

PancakeBrah
04-11-2014, 01:43 PM
I'm quite well. Its Friday.

Did someone died?

Witty
04-11-2014, 01:53 PM
nah nobody got deaded, but a soul has been violated.

Do you have plans for the weekend?

PancakeBrah
04-11-2014, 02:01 PM
Yeah, do nothing.

I'll lift and run.

I enjoy doing nothing.

Split
04-11-2014, 02:01 PM
http://media1.giphy.com/media/13MS5BwKSJFylq/200.gif

Repped

Witty
04-11-2014, 02:03 PM
I have to work, and then I plan to enter oblivion.

I hope you have a good weekend.

Split
04-11-2014, 02:03 PM
I'm trying to beat my best 5k time

Already set my best mile time since HS... Not impressive cause I only ever measure mile times as pace during distance running but still. It is a good day

e11even
04-11-2014, 02:43 PM
I'm trying to beat my best 5k time

Already set my best mile time since HS... Not impressive cause I only ever measure mile times as pace during distance running but still. It is a good day

fastest 5k? i'm only at 20:59. i was never really the athletic type even though i look it.

oats
04-11-2014, 03:34 PM
I never ran a 5k competitively, but my fastest mile was 5:15 in college.

This weekend I will finish the rest of my grad school work forever.

Split
04-11-2014, 04:13 PM
fastest 5k? i'm only at 20:59. i was never really the athletic type even though i look it.

20:01 is my best in an officially timed/ measured race... when my season goal was to break 20:00. :( That was back in HS.

I timed myself and ran (i believe) 19:05 two summers ago under sketchy circumstances. Yesterday, I ran my first mile out of four at a 6:11 pace, when my previous (recorded) best was a 6:50 at a cross-country meet.

I think I'm going to try a standing mile on Sunday or Monday. Gonna enter a 5K race before i go abroad.

Split
04-11-2014, 04:14 PM
I never ran a 5k competitively, but my fastest mile was 5:15 in college.

This weekend I will finish the rest of my grad school work forever.

mirin hard

Frank
04-11-2014, 04:46 PM
I took offense to Zygote being 'the most creative' and to deadman 'out rhyming anyone'.

Though, I approved of pancake dude being 'the most fragile'.

Shout out to Tha Talent for going the distance and thensome week in and week out, all the while dropping open mics and battling it out in the league of champions. Somebody who has been there since day 1 of my text career. Still reeling...

And Shout outs to the big homie King Ra.

Salute Sun

oats
04-11-2014, 04:46 PM
Split Eight idk what that means :-/

Split
04-11-2014, 04:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69SowXBLZdo

Certain
04-11-2014, 05:06 PM
Split Eight idk what that means :-/

"Mirin" is kid-speak for "admiring."

oats
04-11-2014, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the translation

e11even
04-11-2014, 05:57 PM
20:01 is my best in an officially timed/ measured race... when my season goal was to break 20:00. :( That was back in HS.

I timed myself and ran (i believe) 19:05 two summers ago under sketchy circumstances. Yesterday, I ran my first mile out of four at a 6:11 pace, when my previous (recorded) best was a 6:50 at a cross-country meet.

I think I'm going to try a standing mile on Sunday or Monday. Gonna enter a 5K race before i go abroad.

My average for 3.2 miles is 22:30 . I stopped running a year ago lol. When I was running 10 miles every other day I managed a 53 minute. That day I injured my knee.

oats
04-11-2014, 06:01 PM
I was never into long distance. I did a half marathon once, intending to have that be my springboard into a full marathon, and said fuck that after lol.

The incentive for running a fast mile is that the faster I go, the sooner I'm done running and can go do something fun.

Certain
04-11-2014, 06:05 PM
I was never into long distance. I did a half marathon once

http://i.imgur.com/uGntSE9.gif

Split
04-11-2014, 06:15 PM
I wanna do a marathon to say i did a marathon, really.

Fig
04-11-2014, 06:17 PM
5:56 MILE FRESHMAN YEAR

JUST SAYING

I'M GOD

oats
04-11-2014, 06:25 PM
I wanna do a marathon to say i did a marathon, really.

That was my single aim, and it wasn't enough to get me to follow through.

Certain is getting uncomfortable with us talking about being active, let's respect that and switch gears into a discussion about the best vinyls to listen to while eating piles of pizza and hostess products.

oats
04-11-2014, 06:29 PM
My vote: Even Worse by Weird Al.

Certain
04-11-2014, 06:41 PM
I've been eating healthfully and working out lately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqvUz0HrNKY

Also, I'm not a vinyl fan. It's like you don't even know me, oats.

Mike Wrecka
04-11-2014, 06:48 PM
I have only owned one record in my entire life

The Monkees Greatest Hits

its glorious

oats
04-11-2014, 06:49 PM
Goddamnit. So much for my sweet burn. Though I'm shocked you aren't into vinyl.

I've been pretty inactive cuz I have a stupid sea urchin spindle stuck in my foot.

oats
04-11-2014, 06:50 PM
Mike Wrecka are kendamas popular around where you live?

Certain
04-11-2014, 06:53 PM
Goddamnit. So much for my sweet burn. Though I'm shocked you aren't into vinyl.

I've been pretty inactive cuz I have a stupid sea urchin spindle stuck in my foot.

#HawaiiHumbleBrag

Mike Wrecka
04-11-2014, 06:53 PM
Mike Wrecka are kendamas popular around where you live?

I googled it because I never heard of it. a wooden toy popular in Japan?

they are decidedly not popular here

the kids were crazy into those rubber bands that you weave into bracelets but those are played out now

PancakeBrah
04-11-2014, 06:57 PM
I, too, have ran a half-marathon. Averaged 8 minute mile pace throughout. I've never been a particularly fast human being.

I just went to the driving range. Exciting. Srs.

I'm going to eat some eggs and drink some coffee. Then I am going to do this assignment. Then I am going to read. Then I will go to sleep. Then I will wake up. Then I will lift. Then I will write a verse that'll shit on Split Eight's mind. Then I will run.

Certain
04-11-2014, 06:59 PM
El Pancake, I find myself more sympathetic with the upbeat songs on Modern Vampires of the City with every listen. I'm enjoying "Finger Back" right now quite a bit.

Does this development mean I should reapproach the back catalog?

PancakeBrah
04-11-2014, 07:06 PM
Of course! They took awhile for me to enjoy but they're very good. I'm usually not one for upbeat pop-type music but it's catchy stuff.

oats
04-11-2014, 07:09 PM
Constant accusations of "humble brag" = sure fire sign of insecurity. I'm sure you're a neat guy, certain, don't doubt who you really are.

Certain
04-11-2014, 07:10 PM
Constant accusations of "humble brag" = sure fire sign of insecurity. I'm sure you're a neat guy, certain, don't doubt who you really are.

Why are you getting defensive about sarcasm?

PancakeBrah
04-11-2014, 07:11 PM
Certain vs. Oats is how I imagine a 'Downtown Abbey' beef goes down.

You guys should meet over tea and dryly undercut each other while smiling perfunctorily.

oats
04-11-2014, 07:12 PM
SARCASM WORKS TWO WAYS BRO

Certain
04-11-2014, 07:13 PM
SARCASM WORKS TWO WAYS BRO

You forgot the comma, friend.

It's clear I have hurt your feelings.

I am sorry.

oats
04-11-2014, 07:15 PM
I'm sure he would enjoy a lesser known tea, making me feel the need to defend the tired and true English breakfast teas I tend to drink. This will lead into various backhanded compliments and veiled insults where we congratulate each other for the things that we look down on each other for.

Certain
04-11-2014, 07:16 PM
I'm sure he would enjoy a lesser known tea, making me feel the need to defend the tired and true English breakfast teas I tend to drink. This will lead into various backhanded compliments and veiled insults where we congratulate each other for the things that we look down on each other for.

There's nothing tired about your tea choice.

oats
04-11-2014, 07:16 PM
YOU WONT WORRY ABOUT A COMMA ONCE I PUT YOU IN A COMA

Metaphorically. I need you conscious to continue running this league, which I genuinely appreciate.

oats
04-11-2014, 07:17 PM
Szijekxjsjdjdj

*tried and true.

Certain
YOU WONT WORRY ABOUT A COMMA ONCE I PUT YOU IN A COMA

Metaphorically. I need you conscious to continue running this league, which I genuinely appreciate.

<3

Certain
I think I won.

OATMEAL 13-2.

PancakeBrah
04-11-2014, 07:20 PM
To be fair, the comma/coma line was ether.

But yes, the tired/tried misstep was fatal.

oats
04-11-2014, 07:27 PM
Nvm mods close this

e11even
04-11-2014, 07:37 PM
I think I won.

OATMEAL 2:13. Allow to cool.

Certain
04-11-2014, 07:38 PM
No, Vividlyvague.

e11even
04-11-2014, 07:39 PM
I like mine with craisins and syrup. Yummy.

Split
04-11-2014, 07:41 PM
Are we preaching from the book of Oats?

Oats 4:23
Thou shalt never be a fuck nigga

e11even
04-11-2014, 07:45 PM
Are we preaching from the book of Oats?

Oats 4:23
Thou shalt never be a fuck nigga

LOOK WHAT YOU DID! YOU BURNT IT!

oats
04-12-2014, 12:55 AM
OATS 3:16

e11even
04-12-2014, 04:47 AM
Nice.

But are you what The Rock was cooking?

Sry. I just felt compelled to be a nimwit. My apologies.

Pinot Grij
04-12-2014, 01:57 PM
I wasn't sure I'd be back here, writing this magazine, at one point a few days ago. I wasn't sure the interest was still there from this league and its members.
I find the topics are uninspiring, just my opinion. Had a hard time getting into them, hence my bitchass no-show. Maybe multiple topics is the way to go.. brings out the best in everyone getting to pick the topic they connect best with.

Witty
04-12-2014, 02:18 PM
4 pics
4 song names/album titles/movies
4 quotes

Always worked for me.

Throw 'em in a thread and let people pick which one inspires them the most. It may make it easier for the writers but I think if there is more choice there is less chance of people saying 'I couldn't find inspiration from the topics'...if you can't find anything to write about from 12 possible topics, you don't deserve to call yourself a writer.

oats
04-12-2014, 02:19 PM
Certain can you edit in that my topic was "you are trying to stay awake..." in my thread? I didn't want to edit it in and look fishy

Zombie
04-12-2014, 02:49 PM
Touching opening Certain. If I may inquire here; topicals are always a realm of writing, and though the intri***y of rhyming is livid, it doesn't mean it isn't some type of poetry that has to die. As it is poetry.

Certain
04-12-2014, 03:59 PM
Certain can you edit in that my topic was "you are trying to stay awake..." in my thread? I didn't want to edit it in and look fishy

At the beginning or end?

Certain
04-12-2014, 04:09 PM
I find the topics are uninspiring, just my opinion. Had a hard time getting into them, hence my bitchass no-show. Maybe multiple topics is the way to go.. brings out the best in everyone getting to pick the topic they connect best with.

I think the challenge is part of the idea of the league. Street art week missed its mark for sure, but you no-showed to the topic of "Run for your Life" during the roundly praised Beatles week. I thought that was a great topic.

I'd love to have you in the league. I think you're one of the best. But I also hold a strong conviction toward assigned topics.

oats
04-12-2014, 04:13 PM
beginning

Pinot Grij
04-12-2014, 08:03 PM
I think the challenge is part of the idea of the league. Street art week missed its mark for sure, but you no-showed to the topic of "Run for your Life" during the roundly praised Beatles week. I thought that was a great topic.

I'd love to have you in the league. I think you're one of the best. But I also hold a strong conviction toward assigned topics.
Yea dude.. I'm not assigning blame, just giving my perspective on the matter. Sometimes I just can't click with it, and because of that if I signed back in it might just happen again.

For me, the writing is all about having a good time and if I stew on a topic for too long and it starts feeling like work, then I get frustrated and pissed off. Multiple topics would work better for people who feel the same way. I'll def continue to vote and maybe jump in on a one-week basis here and there when I know I need to write some shit down.

Mike Wrecka
04-13-2014, 10:03 AM
But I also hold a strong conviction toward assigned topics.

I strongly agree

the problem with multiple topics is that people end up choosing different topics

I find it very difficult to judge a battle between two contestants using different topics

was never a fan

big baby
04-13-2014, 12:01 PM
there should be a topic about: youre big baby for a day, go.

oats
04-13-2014, 03:48 PM
agreed Mike Wrecka and big baby

Witty
04-13-2014, 04:38 PM
I prefer voting on battles when both have written to 2 different topics...I am easily distracted and I lose concentration quickly so the change of topic is always welcome to me, it doesn't really matter either way tho, I find a lot of the time when you lack inspiration it isn't because of the topic but moreso due to your frame of mind not allowing you to see anything in the topic.

Certain do you follow any domestic football/soccer leagues?

e11even
04-13-2014, 06:06 PM
Yea dude.. I'm not assigning blame, just giving my perspective on the matter. Sometimes I just can't click with it, and because of that if I signed back in it might just happen again.

For me, the writing is all about having a good time and if I stew on a topic for too long and it starts feeling like work, then I get frustrated and pissed off. Multiple topics would work better for people who feel the same way. I'll def continue to vote and maybe jump in on a one-week basis here and there when I know I need to write some shit down.

Bolded

big baby
04-13-2014, 07:22 PM
tbh first time I saw the topic switch up thing I liked it. Plus, the strategy input is at its highest. For example, if there is a group of topics 1-5 and topic 1 suits challenger 1 better than topic 3 which is better suited for challenger 2, then that's the route to take usually. But if challenger 1 wants to cater to certain strengths and characteristics, perhaps topic 2-5 may be a better choice so it may highlight/underline different points or strengths or something. I knew what I wanted to say but then I started typing and it seemed so far away so no.