View Full Version : AOWL SEASON 3 MAGAZINE — EDITION 16

Certain
06-11-2014, 02:34 AM
http://i.imgur.com/uAJesXX.png
Season 3, Edition 16

We've Come A Long, Long Way Together
INTRODUCTION

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruAi4VBoBSM

I have to praise you. We made it here because of your dedication as well as my own. We've reached the final week of the Art of Writing League's third season, with only the playoffs lying ahead after this. I don't know who will run Season 4, but someone should. It won't be me, which is not to say that I haven't had fun these past 16 weeks but only to say that it's a lot of work and I'm too neurotic to take it easy. I hope that it's be a fulfilling experience for all of you, and I wish the best for those members who don't make it to our playoffs. But I never want to speak of you or to you again after this week. Anyway, we have a great magazine here this week, despite this being a one-man show. And we've started off with the "Praise You" video, so that's pretty awesome.

ITM
In the spirit of the 2014 FIFA World Cup, your friendly moderator and modest international soccer fan picks players who compare best to the 12 writers signed in for Week 16. The rest of you aren't in, so I'm not making comparisons. Also, watch the Nike commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afUUBvWBp3I

Did you watch that? If not, watch it. It's well worth the 5 minutes, 29 seconds.

zygote | Xavi
Our current champion had to be a world champion, and Spain's Xavi is one of the most creative yet fundamental players in the world. He's a brilliant passer but rarely creates the kind of highlight-reel plays to draw oohs and ahhs. That's zygote, whose creativity is unmatched and of championship caliber.

Certain | Frank Lampard
He's well past his prime but still hanging on to a thread. Lampard wasn't ever known as the best player in the English Premier League but now may go down as the greatest in league history. That's a lot of clinging on, but Lampard now is gone from the EPL. And Certain is no longer Tha Talent. Times change.

Vividlyvague | Didier Drogba
The Ivory Coast forward is one of the most dangerous attackers in the world when he finds his form. But too often he's aggressive but slightly off. He can fill up a net in a hurry, though, just as Vividlyvague can get hot and beat anyone. Also, there's the alliteration factor.

Objective | Michael Bradley
Like American soccer players, Objective is a bit out of his element in an English-language league. Bradley is a prototype of American soccer, with a lot of talent but withouot the ideal stylistic ability to meld his skills together and maximize them. Objective still has time to learn that.

Vulgar | Mesut Ozil
Obviously Vulgar would be the olive-skinned German. He's had some injury issues this season but has a crazy amount of skill and often dominates ball control and sets up or finishes on scoring chances.

timeless | Wayne Rooney
He's a workhorse whose name is well-traveled these days. Rooney puts his head down and drives at the goal with great force every time, despite not having the size or natural ability of some other top strikers.

King Ra. | Andrea Pirlo
Pirlo has as much flare as any player in the world, but he ultimately shows his veteran instincts in the front of Italy's attack. King Ra., similarly, is a veteran who still loves to frill up his verses and go for the big score. Both live for the grand moments but now need to execute on the grand stage.

Bladed Thesis | Alexis Sanchez
Sanchez, Chile's golden forward, is one of the top offensive threats in the world because of his remarkable ability with the ball on his foot. He came in and was one of the best players for Barcelona last season even as he was overshadowed by his bigger-name teammates and their struggles. Bladed Thesis similarly has taken advantage and moved to 3-0.

Adonis | Philipp Lahm
Lahm is German's workhorse defensive ace, playing any position asked and never hesitating to handle tough spots. Adonis does that in this league, not getting much in the way of glory but providing a stable presence and making the plays we need to keep going.

patrown | Oscar
Essentially the sidekick to the best player in the world (Neymar), Oscar has grown a reputation for his own high-quality play for Brazil and Chelsea (though he was down last season). patrown similarly flies way under the radar and rarely seems like a favorite but has the ability to make an impact on his own.

Zenland | Gerard Pique
Pique has a beard. Zenland has a bigger one. Pique has sex with Shakira. Zenland probably wants to. Pique is a central defender for Spain, the defending world champions. Zenland is the people's champion.

Soulstice | Zlatan Ibrahimovic
Ibrahimovic is one of the 10 best players in the world, but his Swedish team did not qualify for the World Cup. Soulstice would be a contender in the AOWL playoffs but is a long shot to qualify now.

Week 15 Rewind
BATTLE REVIEWS
Story leads proved interesting this week, but they also generated a ton of no-shows. As a result, we staged two bonus battles, one between Adonis and zygote and one between Vulgar and Vividlyvague. That made for a better week than it otherwise would have been, and those two battles were very good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMfjA4gyEcU

1. Bladed Thesis (3-0) beats patrown (2-4) 4-3.
BATTLE OF THE WEEK! This battle was one of the closest battles of the season, not only because it came down to the final vote, but also because the verses had such clashing strengths and weaknesses. Bladed Thesis brought a lyricism-bathed tale of alien invators, but he leaned on that crisp writing to overcome thin content. With that said, his verse was interesting because he did so much with the idea of "When the gods come," as his first line said. patrown, meanwhile, told a dark comedy about a demon infection spreading from an egg in a refrigerator to a person who presumably becomes a demon. I loved the way he ended it, but his writing was much rougher around the edges than Bladed Thesis', which ultimately cost him the battle.
Crowds went silent of course and the vibe was remorse
Eyes to the horde, these visitors arrived with such force
Flying in swords, humanity wondered what kind of plight was aboard
From the sky came our lord, their own type of Titan of sorts
Their mightiest with a mind for the gore, violence enforced
Appearing to land, the skysword beamed lights to the shore
Striking the floor, it caused a crater right where it roared
Engines humming vibrant to the core as if it was enlightened by torch

2. Certain (5-4) beats cyph her (2-2) 7-0.
Here's where I'd usually rag on Certain's boring-ass verse, but doing so wouldn't be fair to the strong effort put forth by cyph her. She wrote a unique little parable here with the topic of a homeless musician. Her writing again leans toward poetic but simplistic, saying more with less thanks to strong diction. The ending was a bit too tidy, and the character probably wasn't developed enough, and the narration shifted between first and third person awkwardly. But it was a solid verse, one only beaten by the best verse of Certain's season.
A neighborhood of pillars he embraced..
Stringing cords and watching fingers dance..
On occasion being recognized for his melodic grace..
Something so simple.. An unforeseen glance..

A shadow of which compared to others..
Dropped something odd into his case..
It was odd it had replaced..
Anything that had awed into the chase..

3. Zenland (2-2) beats King Ra. (6-7) 5-2.
This was an interesting rematch of onne of the more interesting battles of last season. King Ra. again wrote about deities. Only this time, the topic wasn't the Sun. I think people were a bit thrown off because he wrote his verse as part of a larger story, and if you aren't familiar with the folklore behind Set and Osiris, this may all have flown over your head. Zenland wrote a much more straight-forward story about getting cancer and the ramifications of death on a broken family. His content packed an emotional punch, though I'm not sure his writing delivered it fully. Still, his story was more relatable and approachable, and his rhyming was as strong as it always is.
Television's lied to us by glamorizing death.
They make it seem honorable, like it's something you're dying to get.
You lucky martyr. All the people sitting beside your bed,
Your loved ones, children serving you wine and bread.
A toast! to the wonderful life that you've led.
Close your eyes...
sigh and you're dead.
Things don't happen that way. Not if you've made mistakes.
You gotta have been restrained, not have tempted fate.
But I did.
I can't find my kids today after my wife left with them in May.
I don't know what I'd say if they answered.

4. Vulgar (7-4) wins via El Pancake (5-4) no-show.
Well, El Pancake's comeback wasn't much of one. Vulgar posted one of the most well-written verses of the season, tackling the black water topic with an imagery-loaded verse that probably was the best of the week even though it barely moved its story past the topic starting point. The writing and lyricism and thematic elements were on point and made me want more. He did beat Vividlyvague 4-1 in a bonus battle, though.
Transatlantic geysers erupted, at first the Aussies
theorized the Earth was contaminated by human germs & proxies
More mature parties calculated that the terms were costly
that the surf from salt seas had converged into a furnished, gloss sheen
In massive strains, the acid rains were onyx petrol, Turkish coffee
never served with malt cream, spawning utility worker crossbreeds
they soon populated each glistening urban offspring
no pensions, just a penchant for the murky myrmidon sleet

5. Vividlyvague (8-6) wins via Soulstice (2-5) quasi-no-show.
In one of the week's biggest disappointments, Soulstice posted a no-show verse probably knowing Vividlyvague would post a proper one. This loss could be what keeps Soulstice out of the playoffs. Vividlyvague took a creative approach on the cancer topic and offered some of the tighter writing of his time in this league early on. The ending didn't connect for me, but Vividlyvague reminded us that he is rounding into form and could be a threat in the playoffs this time around.
This was routine. Black cats with a sedative gaze; a morphene.
Caution before me, I slunk along shadows down the torn streets.
Avoiding every miniature crevice, I'd horned three
times, watching night's derivative essence in her hosting.
And in an exchange later she was home free.
"Hey, Boo... my shift is over and I need you ta bone me..."

6. Adonis (7-8) wins via Frank (9-6) no-show.
Though he elected to post a no-show verse initially, Adonis messaged me a very good verse about being a street musician, and it went into circulation for his bonus battle with zygote, which he won 5-1. The writing was the strong point here, as he did a good job setting a tone for this street musician's life, though he largely avoided the second half of the topic. Frank now goes into the playoffs 9-6 with only one head-to-head loss by votes (to Cereal_Killa). His other five losses came in a three-way to oats (with Vividlyvague); by no-shows to zygote, Vulgar and Adonis; and in a disqualification against King Ra. He's also lost three in a row.
Harmony's strung, hung by autonomy's tongue.
But if poverty lacked novelty then mech's wouldn't have won.
Instead, I sit, bearing my heart on a string.
Striking cords for the hordes of beings baron of dreams.
Each day, the same. Stiletto's clack-clack, herding of soles.
Throats choked by ties suited for gold.
Cyborgs slaving for presidential love notes.

7. zygote (12-3) wins via Cereal_Killa (5-2) no-show.
Well, I thought it was well done. But a lot of the electorate here wants traditional or at least something closer to traditional than what zygote was willing to offer this week. zygote won because Cereal_Killa randomly up and disappeared after a memorable title run. But his play didn't land with voters in his bonus battle against Adonis, which he lost 5-1. This one is a matter of how far you're willing to expand the concept of text rap.
JOHN: (to audience) In a way, I’m glad for the diagnosis.
(to Anne) I don’t know, a while I guess.
(to audience) I was struggling. Before cancer I was just sleeping.
Now I have found meaning. I mean to die. Cancer is my suicide.
These cells that uncontrollably replicate throughout my marrow are my salvation.
They are my newfound motivation and my driving force, my selfesteem.
Before cancer I was not a human being. I was a shell, an empty husk, a -
ANNE: (interrupts) I’ve had enough, you can’t always leave me out like this!
JOHN: Why not?
ANNE: We’re the only family we have left!
JOHN: I’m dying.
ANNE: It’s unfair.

8. Objective (1-2) wins via Lemur (0-1) no-show.
There's nothing to see here. Objective won with a no-show verse, which was good enough to beat Lemur, who wasn't seen after his sign-in.

Week 16 Preview
POWER RANKINGS
I rank the 12 people signed in for the final week based on what they've done lately. Last week's rankings were by King Ra. and based on the season as a whole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD8hhNtxPgs

12. Objective (1-2) | Last week: Not ranked
He's the only person left who cannot make the playoffs, but he still can spoil Vividlyvague's seeding a little. Objective didn't post a full verse last week, which doesn't make much sense as he doesn't have much else to battle for. But I hope to see him in longer for next season or whatever comes after this.

11. Soulstice (2-5) | Last week: Not ranked
One of the best writers in this league has put himself seriously at risk of not making the playoffs. He needs to win and get some help this week, and even then he's hoping a few people don't sign in. That's a sign that Soulstice was one of the season's bigger underachievers, starting with his opening two no-shows and most recently including his no-show verse against Vividlyvague.

10. patrown (2-4) | Last week: Not ranked
I really liked patrown's verse last week, but he now has lost two in a row and seems skidding from solid playoff position to the wrong side of contention. Last season, he beat Adonis in the final week to clinch a spot in the playoffs. He can do the same this time, but momentum is against him.

9. timeless (6-7) | Last week: Not ranked
One of our more dedicated writers has gone through a bit of a slump lately, with three consecutive losses before taking a two-week break. His last win came in Week 10 against Adonis, and he's also beaten Certain and Mike Wrecka. So he can get big wins. He now needs to show it.

8. King Ra. (6-7) | Last week: No. 9
King Ra. is in a similar position to timeless, a ways from his last win (Week 12 against timeless) but still in good position to make a push in the playoffs. King Ra. took a tough loss last week but now can make a statement against one of our hottest competitors, Bladed Thesis.

7. Certain (5-4) | Last week: Not ranked
He somehow slacked his way into the biggest seeding match of the regular season and now can clinch the No. 1 seed with an upset victory.

6. Zenland (2-2) | Last week: Not ranked
Our affable beard-food collector bounced back from a big loss to cyph her and now is in position to possibly steal a bid to the playoffs despite being absentee for much of the season. Beating King Ra. was an important step, but he now must go through reeling Soulstice.

5. Vividlyvague (8-6) | Last week: No. 8
Vividlyvague is in position to tie Frank for the No. 4 seed in the tournament with a victory. That came after a loss to cyph her when he posted a half-verse. Vividlyvague has done really well when he's put effort in during this season, though that's been too rare.

4. Adonis (7-8) | Last week: Not ranked
King Ra. snubbed Adonis last week by not including him, but this ranking has nothing to do with that. Adonis has been one of our most stable members and is capable of knocking off anyone, as he showed in his bonus battle with zygote and in beating Vulgar a few weeks ago. But he's up and down and needs to solidify his approach.

3. Bladed Thesis (3-0) | Last week: Not ranked
Similar to Johnathan Mercy, Bladed Thesis has made a big impression in a short time. And like Johnathan Mercy, he comes with a major reputation for sharp lyricism from past lives. Bladed Thesis could join Zombie as the only unbeatens in the league at season's end if he outlasts King Ra., but there's a chance he could make the playoffs either way. No one will want to face him.

2. Vulgar (7-4) | Last week: No. 6
If Vulgar continues writing as he did last week, he will be an absolute favorite to win the playoff championship. But this season comes to a close with the big guy not once landing in a weekly title bout. He hasn't underachieved so much as had some bad timing, including landing oats upon signing back in. He's primed for a big run in the playoffs, though.

1. zygote (12-3) | Last week: No. 1
I thought his bonus battle loss to Adonis was more a testament to his enterprising mind and willingness to go beyond the expected than anything else. zygote easily has the most wins in the league and has a chance to lock up the No. 1 seed with a win against Certain. He probably won't be the favorite to win the tournament, but that's probably another symptom of us underestimating him.

PREDICTIONS
Audio killed the text prediction game for a while, but it's back now. We also use this section to take a look at what's at stake for the playoffs in the battle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpyfOYnUGWM

Championship: zygote (12-3) vs. Certain (5-4) | Escape or stay warm?
What's it mean? Winner gets the No. 1 seed. That means a lot more for Certain than zygote, who can't fall lower than the No. 2 seed either way. Certain would slip to 5-5 and be probably around No. 11 in seeding, which would mean a tougher road.
Prediction: zygote is holding out. He hasn't posted a verse yet, though I know he knows the topic. This clearly means he's about to post the best verse of the season and destroy all of Certain's hopes and dreams. zygote 100-0.

Vulgar (7-4) vs. timeless (6-7) | Painting chains
What's it mean? This one is all about seeding, as both of these gentlemen have guaranteed spots in the playoffs. But the difference between the No. 5 seed and the No. 10 seed is going to be very small, meaning this will be an important battle. Vulgar potentially could rise all the way to the No. 4 seed with a win.
Prediction: While timeless has been cold, Vulgar is on a tear. I do think timeless wants to prove himself one last time entering the playoffs, but this is a really tough matchup. He did not seem happy about the topic. Vulgar laughed. I didn't think it was overly slanted toward Vulgar, but I'm factoring in reactions and recent output. Vulgar 63-37.

King Ra. (6-7) vs. Bladed Thesis (3-0) | Grim Reaper's video games
What's it mean? Bladed Thesis needs a win to guarantee his spot in the playoffs. If he loses, he still could make it but likely would be the No. 15 or No. 16 seed, which would mean tough opposition early. A win would move him a few spots up and put him in an easier field, and the same can be said for King Ra., who has struggled against top competition.
Prediction: Bladed Thesis is nearly done with his verse and asked for a line extension. I think he is taking this playoff push very seriously, and he probably is the better writer, at least on the technical side of things. I like this topic for both of them, though, and King Ra. does well with bold topics. I'm still leaning toward the hot hand. Bladed Thesis 57-43.

Vividlyvague (8-6) vs. Objective (1-2) | Hook, line and drinker
What's it mean? Objective almost certainly can't make the playoffs. (He'd need a bunch of people who signed in not to vote and therefore disqualify themselves.) Vividlyvague, though, is hungry. He could be as high as the No. 3 or as low as No. 6 in the seedings, and he would be well advised to do everything he can to chase the higher spot.
Prediction: Objective and Vividlyvague are two of the toughest to predict. I've read great verses from each and terrible drek from each. I'm hoping they both come with it, but I am guessing Objective will use his low stakes to try something new. That's good for his development, so I can't hate. But I also can't favor him, particularly as Vividlyvague rounds into form. Vividlyvague 61-39.

Adonis (7-8) vs. patrown (2-4) | Timely shoveling
What's it mean? patrown needs to win to have a shot at the playoffs, though he might not make it either way. For Adonis, it's a chance at revenge. Last year in the final week of the season, patrown knocked Adonis out of the playoffs. That time, it was winner makes it and loser goes home. Now Adonis is comfortable but still could use a seeding boost.
Prediction: These two are up and down week after week, but both showed up strong last week. I expect more of the same, and I know Adonis won't coast, especially with a .500 record up for grabs. patrown needs it more, though, and I hope he takes time and really works on his verse. Adonis is a better writer, but patrown's a better half-asser, but they won't be half-assing. This is the closest battle of the week. Adonis 52-48.

Zenland (2-2) vs. Soulstice (2-5)
What's it mean? The loser won't make the playoffs. The winner might. Zenland has a much better shot than Soulstice and almost certainly would make it if he wins. Soulstice would need some help from people above him not signing in or voting.
Prediction: This is a high-consequence matchup with a lot of possible variables, specifically related to how hard Zenland goes. He is a fantastic rhymer who rarely sets himself down to pour effort into writing to a topic. Soulstice is the opposite, a methodical storyteller with as much talent as anyone in this league who, if anything, sometimes overthinks. I'm going with Soulstice winning this, then possibly sneaking into the playoffs and knocking off the No. 1 seed. Soulstice 54-46.

Through the hard times and the good
CONCLUSION

I'm mixed on what to think of Well$, so listen to the song below and tell me what you think. He's 19 and from Charlotte. Anyway, thanks for reading. I have no one to thank for helping with this magazine because no one helped with this magazine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxQH4VD9pSY

e11even
06-11-2014, 07:44 AM
Dope. This mag was pretty as fuck. Great job One Man Band Man.

oats
06-11-2014, 10:16 AM
Dope, excited for playoffs.

Bladed Thesis
06-11-2014, 01:07 PM
Bladed Thesis | Alexis Sanchez
Sanchez, Chile's golden forward, is one of the top offensive threats in the world because of his remarkable ability with the ball on his foot. He came in and was one of the best players for Barcelona last season even as he was overshadowed by his bigger-name teammates and their struggles. Bladed Thesis similarly has taken advantage and moved to 3-0.
More like Arturo Vidal.

Certain
06-11-2014, 01:12 PM
I haven't seen your defensive game yet.

Bladed Thesis
06-11-2014, 01:56 PM
Paul Pogba.

King Ra.
06-11-2014, 02:13 PM
Certain what seed do I get if I win or lose?

Frank
06-11-2014, 02:39 PM
Show me my opponent

Dope job!

Certain
06-11-2014, 02:49 PM
Certain what seed do I get if I win or lose?

Too many variables to tell. You probably are in the No. 6 to No. 9 range.

Witty
06-11-2014, 02:52 PM
Paul Pogba.

Quality player.

Witty
06-11-2014, 02:52 PM
Dope mag Certain

Zen
06-11-2014, 03:17 PM
I dig it. It'll be interesting to see who'll follow Ra and Certain in running the league. That's tough to follow.

Witty
06-11-2014, 03:19 PM
I dig it. It'll be interesting to see who'll follow Ra and Certain in running the league. That's tough to follow.

Someone's gonna need to step up, but I really can't think of anyone.

As you said, it's a tough act to follow, hopefully someone can do it tho.

Witty
06-11-2014, 03:22 PM
Also, Certain I would have said you were more like Steven Gerrard.

Zen
06-11-2014, 03:24 PM
I would consider running the league.

I'm back. Just considered it.

Nah.

Bladed Thesis
06-11-2014, 03:34 PM
Quality player.
No doubt.

Juventus - best midfield in the world.

Certain
06-11-2014, 03:40 PM
Also, Certain I would have said you were more like Steven Gerrard.

I had him first but figured Frank Lampard is more past his prime.

Witty
06-11-2014, 03:58 PM
I had him first but figured Frank Lampard is more past his prime.

I dunno if you're past your prime cuz u seem pretty dope but i dunno how you used to write so i can't comment, though i suspect you are being modest.

One thing you and frank lampard will probably have in common soon is living in America.

Certain
06-11-2014, 04:44 PM
Netcees is my MLS.

I can put it like this: In 2005, I probably had more topical battle victories than anyone among those on bigger sites. Six-time RSTL champion, plus at least one tournament, RhymeNReason season champion, various other sites (411Hype, Fiend World, can't remember them all), beat pretty much everyone who was around. I was really good.

Then I left for a bit and lost my creative edge.

e11even
06-11-2014, 04:54 PM
That football video tho.

I might watch it twice.

Mike Wrecka
06-11-2014, 05:17 PM

y u do dis?

Zen
06-11-2014, 05:22 PM
http://i59.tinypic.com/muh3b4.jpg

Mike Wrecka
06-11-2014, 05:47 PM
two words

colored squares

Witty
06-11-2014, 06:21 PM
That football video tho.

I might watch it twice.

This one is good too, tho not as good as the one in the mag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XviR7esUvo

oats
06-11-2014, 07:19 PM
There are so many Mexicans here it's crazy. I feel bad for Cameroon and the other African nations, haven't seen any fans of theirs traveling for the World Cup. Opening ceremony tomorrow though, should be nuts.

Mike Wrecka
06-11-2014, 07:45 PM
This one is good too, tho not as good as the one in the mag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XviR7esUvo

if soccer even closely resembled the action in this video maybe it wouldn't suck

e11even
06-11-2014, 08:18 PM
That's an ugly wig.

King Ra.
06-11-2014, 08:26 PM
I'm heavily considering running the league again for season 4. I have many ideas that could keep things very interesting/exciting. Adonis you'd be down to run it with me? Probably jump off after summer's over.

Adonis
06-11-2014, 11:15 PM
I'm heavily considering running the league again for season 4. I have many ideas that could keep things very interesting/exciting. Adonis you'd be down to run it with me? Probably jump off after summer's over.

Always yes. I don't know if this means Certain isn't interested, because he's a top candidate even over you, no offense. You did leave us in the dark for a bit.

But I've always said I love writing first, but if I'm needed to help run a league so others can write I would sacrifice myself for the betterment of this shit.

Basically what I'm saying is

Yes. with ...

1. If certain can't,doesn't want to/or doesn't have the time or strength, to run it with you.
2. You promise not to dip
3. And this is separate...I'm always here to help out with shit overall, certain knows this and you grew to know this when you ran season 1. So if you find new "MOD" that is willing, that's fine with me and I actually prefer that so I can participate. But if push comes to shove I'm one PM away from running any league with pleasure

4. VOTE ADONIS remainder of playoffs or fuck off!!

EDIT:

CERTAIN - can we get Jah modship to further discuss this in the appropriate forum? Thanks

Certain
06-11-2014, 11:21 PM
I'm not interested. And OK, I made King Ra. mod of the Season 1 forum so that he has lounge access.

dyedinthewool
06-11-2014, 11:44 PM
Certain is certainly considering retirement?

Certain
06-12-2014, 12:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIJjK3IV3E0

Vulgar
06-12-2014, 12:23 AM
Awesome modship. Good mag. Good memories.

dyedinthewool
06-12-2014, 12:31 AM
.__.

Brian Bryan
06-12-2014, 07:27 AM
lmao what player would i be?

that section seemed cool

PancakeBrah
06-12-2014, 11:36 AM
Wait Certain isn't modding season 4?

Good night sweet netcees

Certain
06-12-2014, 01:31 PM
lmao what player would i be?

that section seemed cool

You'd be Peter Crouch. Washed up at such a young age. Can't even make the roster.

Mike Wrecka
06-12-2014, 03:54 PM
guys please don't forget about the ever glorious WCL

a Season 2 ran by zygote is needed imo

Brian Bryan
06-12-2014, 04:55 PM
GONE @ peter crouch when i'm 5'8", tops haha!

crouch was never good though

i at least get my name thrown in the hat when the discussion comes up

my interest in text seems to ebb and flow, maybe ebbs more than it flows these days, but i think i showed that when i want it - i'm still capable of hanging

don't put away my boots just yet

Witty
06-12-2014, 06:02 PM
Crouch was a decent player yo, he always scored for England when he got the chance.

I still wish Liverpool didn't sell him.

Certain
06-12-2014, 06:05 PM
Peter Crouch sucked. Baron Mynd was way better.

Witty
06-12-2014, 06:06 PM
I don't understand how anyone can say Crouch sucked.

Witty
06-12-2014, 06:11 PM
22 goals in 42 games.

Certain
06-12-2014, 06:11 PM
He provided nothing beyond goals, often on headers from great feeds from David Beckham set pieces or the like. He was like an uh-oh-level poor man's Miroslav Klose.

Witty
06-12-2014, 06:17 PM
He provided nothing beyond goals, often on headers from great feeds from David Beckham set pieces or the like. He was like an uh-oh-level poor man's Miroslav Klose.

Nah man, his hold up play was phenomenal, he was much better with the ball at his feet than in the air, he always looked awkward but he was very skillful, his job mainly was to hold up the play and feed it through to Rooney or whoever was in front at the time, and he did that as well as anyone did at the time.

He was never a top top player, but he certainly didn't suck.

Also, he has done what Rooney still has not, he has scored at a World Cup.

Witty
06-12-2014, 06:25 PM
Also, Rooney needs to score this time around or go down as the biggest waste of talent the world has seen.

The man has unbelievable ability, to not do it at the top level is a disgrace for someone so talented.

Zen
06-12-2014, 06:49 PM
I know 4% of the names mentioned in this thread. I enjoy soccer, but I just don't watch much. Messi's the only player I've ever watched that wowed me. Dudes a beast.

big baby
06-12-2014, 09:43 PM
Netcees is my MLS.

I can put it like this: In 2005, I probably had more topical battle victories than anyone among those on bigger sites. Six-time RSTL champion, plus at least one tournament, RhymeNReason season champion, various other sites (411Hype, Fiend World, can't remember them all), beat pretty much everyone who was around. I was really good.

u fucka always sukked dont lie idiyote

PancakeBrah
06-12-2014, 10:18 PM
lol he spelled it 'idiyote'

lol

rich

e11even
06-13-2014, 03:46 AM
pancake is muff?

oats
06-13-2014, 08:57 AM
Lol@he provided nothing except goals.

Peyton Manning sucks, all he does is score TDs

Ray Allen is a waste, all he does is provide points

THATS THE POINT OF PLAYING THE GAME

Not even Michael Cera can save you from this one, Certain

Brian Bryan
06-13-2014, 10:24 AM
Netcees is my MLS.

I think I could have given you a run for most victories back then. I was at every one of those sites (and more)

:)

Certain
06-13-2014, 11:31 AM
Lol@he provided nothing except goals.

Peyton Manning sucks, all he does is score TDs

Ray Allen is a waste, all he does is provide points

THATS THE POINT OF PLAYING THE GAME

Not even Michael Cera can save you from this one, Certain

You're nothing but pineapples.

Certain
06-13-2014, 12:04 PM
I think I could have given you a run for most victories back then. I was at every one of those sites (and more)

If memory serves, you took a while to get into topical battling. I don't remember you ever doing it at RnR, and you definitely were way later than me in the RSTL. But maybe you were racking up wins at RB. Now you've definitely passed me.

oats
06-13-2014, 03:05 PM
You're nothing but pineapples.

I'll take that as a compliment.

big baby
06-13-2014, 04:27 PM
Brian Bryan Certain will crawsh yew

Brian Bryan
06-14-2014, 02:51 PM
If memory serves, you took a while to get into topical battling. I don't remember you ever doing it at RnR, and you definitely were way later than me in the RSTL. But maybe you were racking up wins at RB. Now you've definitely passed me.

I'd been in the RSTL since 2003, I'd signed in a couple of times and posted under the MC Greg Braid E account which was another multi-user name a few people had access to.

I went by a few diff. names at RnR, Luther Blissett and The Crimson Shadow (at least!) that I remember off hand - but I definitely was in the Pen and Paper league for a short while as some name.

I'm pretty much retired from text now. I saw the tourney as one last hurrah for me. It was good to avenge my loss!

oats
06-14-2014, 03:10 PM
You guys make me wish I was active during those years. I was on HHH and planetrap from 2000-2002ish, dabbling on some other sites here and there, but I didn't come back until 2010. Seems like I missed the golden age.

Adonis
06-14-2014, 03:34 PM
You guys make me wish I was active during those years. I was on HHH and planetrap from 2000-2002ish, dabbling on some other sites here and there, but I didn't come back until 2010. Seems like I missed the golden age.

Didn't you have a short stint @PR like 3-5 years ago? That's the only place I would know you from and I knew you before I joined here so....

oats
06-14-2014, 03:45 PM
Yeah I came back to rap boards in general in 2010, and I did a season of RHYME in like 2011 I think. Also was on the short-lived text stars. Pretty sure we crossed paths in rhyme though

e11even
06-14-2014, 05:33 PM
I was on text since 02-03 but never crossed into the more advanced boards. Started as a battler.

Netcees was my first real dive into the topical format.

Zen
06-14-2014, 06:32 PM
Netcees was the first place I even dropped an om or topical battled as well. Only battled back in the day because 8 Mile made it seem like a good idea and I was too young to get into an underground club full of screaming black people that'd be blown away by my whiteness.

big baby
06-14-2014, 11:15 PM
cool storiez lol sike

oats
06-14-2014, 11:28 PM
big baby who would win in this fantasy match: Roberto Duran vs. Pac-Man. Both fighters are in their prime in front of a neutral crowd and fight to their full capabilities. Go.

Certain
06-14-2014, 11:29 PM
big baby, I've got this. Roberto Duran. In his prime, he was the best welterweight ever.

oats
06-14-2014, 11:29 PM
Both fighting at LW

oats
06-14-2014, 11:31 PM
I feel like that might be one of the most entertaining matchups possible. Duran is up there among my favorite all-time pugilists.

Certain
06-14-2014, 11:31 PM
I actually meant lightweight, not welterweight. He went 72-1 before the "No Mas" fight.

oats
06-14-2014, 11:39 PM
All time beast no doubt.

oats
06-14-2014, 11:44 PM
Certain what are your top 10 favorite sports in order

big baby
06-14-2014, 11:49 PM
certain shut up jesus fuk idiyote shut it! JUST SHUT UP! SHUTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!! SHHHHHHHHH!!! UT UP! DUM I SWEAR I HATE

ahem oats hmm that's a good one. The iron fisted Duran built a reputation on the gritty aspect of the sport. A LW Pac was still developing a lot of his technique back then, and only had a few punches to his arsenal that was only amplified and considered deadly due to the blitzing hand speed. Pacquiao was a vulnerable fighter but due to his offensive capabilities and quickness he never really tasted any worrisome moments. The contrariety styles they bring are also fun to discuss. Pacquiao was good back then but he wasnt deadly. He had a really tight time frame in where he embodied a bit of everything, around 2009. I think recently he has slowed down a bit, but has taken a more fundamental stance with his original powerhouse tactics. Duran looked really beefy in his fights when he moved up and even in his 2nd against Leonard. (Leonard being more of a boxing technician than Pacquiao will ever be) He looked good against him in the first fight and stunned him and probably loooked his best then. But that was at WW. At LW, I'd take Duran comfortably, but it wouldnt be a blowout, it'd make for a very good fight, and Pacquiao if he would have time warped back in the day, would be Durans' Marquez. That's how good he was. I do think Pacquiao ages better, and has better conditioning.

Certain
06-15-2014, 01:24 AM
Certain what are your top 10 favorite sports in order

1. NBA (by quite a bit)
2. College basketball
3. College football (mostly SEC)
4. Tennis
5. Boxing (I try not to let it wane because everyone else does)
6. MLB (though my interest has whittled down to the Yankees and attending games)
7. International soccer (as in, FIFA events)
8. NFL
9. NASCAR
10. NHL

big baby
06-15-2014, 01:35 AM
big baby what are your top 10 favorite sports in order sexy pants so hot fuck me in butt

1. Boxing
2. NBA
3. Soccer (I like it, I just havent kept up with it, all types, all leagues)
4. MLB
5. Tennis
6. MMA
7. College Basketball
8. Gymnastics
9. I love track and field, but there really isnt really any large and consistent sporting events and the events dont really last long, etc.
10. NFL

There are near infinite amount of things that can be called sports or can be categorized as sports idiyote. I'd put chess up there, along with swimming.
It's also a broad question, sports I partake in, or just simply watch?

I narrowed it down cuz u stewped

big baby
06-15-2014, 01:41 AM
big baby, I've got this. Roberto Duran. In his prime, he was the best welterweight ever.

eh I don't mean 2 break parade but fmj is just too much of a talent. Arguello would probably put down RD hadn't it been for his chase of the big bucks at WW and forward. FMJ has showed an admiration for Arguello and to this day I think is /was a prominent Featherweight, probably the best.

Certain
06-15-2014, 01:43 AM
eh I don't mean 2 break parade but fmj is just too much of a talent. Arguello would probably put down RD hadn't it been for his chase of the big bucks at WW and forward. FMJ has showed an admiration for Arguello and to this day I think is /was a prominent Featherweight, probably the best.

I'll buy the Floyd Mayweather Jr. argument.

Zen
06-15-2014, 01:55 AM
cool storiez lol sike

Just noticed this and fuck you. I'm too drunk to take your sarcasm bb da bb. And Duran would win because he's fuckin Duran.

Zen
06-15-2014, 02:18 AM
jk lmao luv u bb!!

But seriously Duran. Rewatched Hearns vs Duran yesterday though and Hearns demolished him. Hearns is seriously underrated.

Certain
06-15-2014, 02:39 AM
Tommy Hearns was just a wild man. He took way too many punches and didn't last as a result. But Hearns vs. Marvin Hagler Round 1 is the answer for anyone who tries to say MMA is more entertaining than boxing.

Zen
06-15-2014, 02:42 AM
I agree with the second half and partly with the first half. He did take way too many punches, but he's always been a personal favorite of mine.

Edit: Just saw you liked tennis so lets see if we agree in this, best tennis player ever?

King Ra.
06-15-2014, 06:07 AM
Martina Hingis.

oats
06-15-2014, 08:45 AM
Fed is the only right answer to that. I don't care if his only French title was a result of nadal being knocked out early, there just isn't another acceptable answer (don't you dare say Borg or Sampras)

oats
06-15-2014, 08:50 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who ranks nfl pretty low on my list as well, though I'm surprised to see NASCAR make an appearance - I genuinely don't understand the appeal at all.
big baby sexy pants etc, I consider a sport anything that will make you puke if you stuffed your face with nachos midway through the competition. So chess, poker, bowling, and other such games that receive espn airtime for some reason, are not sports.

big baby
06-15-2014, 09:44 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who ranks nfl pretty low on my list as well, though I'm surprised to see NASCAR make an appearance - I genuinely don't understand the appeal at all.
big baby sexy pants etc, I consider a sport anything that will make you puke if you stuffed your face with nachos midway through the competition. So chess, poker, bowling, and other such games that receive espn airtime for some reason, are not sports.

you can puke midway through a chess competition

oats
06-15-2014, 10:09 AM
you can puke midway through a chess competition

Id puke playing you because it's disgusting how easy it would be. Still not a sport though.

big baby
06-15-2014, 10:11 AM
Id puke playing you because it's disgusting how easy it would be. Still not a sport though.

I'd beat Zygote when I'm trying to lose.

oats
06-15-2014, 10:15 AM
Any match against me means you are trying to lose. I'll make zygote feel like a gamete, and big baby feel like a little sperm in my nutsack.

big baby
06-15-2014, 10:31 AM
Any match against me means you are trying to lose. I'll make zygote feel like a gamete, and big baby feel like a little sperm in my nutsack.

I dont really flaunt my chess genius, but I'll eradicate your existence if you want? Set it up.

Witty
06-15-2014, 10:51 AM
I don't even know how to play chess.

Never tried.

Zen
06-15-2014, 11:15 AM
Fed is the only right answer to that. I don't care if his only French title was a result of nadal being knocked out early, there just isn't another acceptable answer (don't you dare say Borg or Sampras)

Actually the right answer was Rafael Nadal. He's got a winning record against Federer and Djokovic (however you spell it) and 14 grand slams so he's right behind Federers record. Nadal is the man.

Btw you guys got chess.com? I'll play ya on there.

Zen
06-15-2014, 11:21 AM
I don't even know how to play chess.

Never tried.

This is a shame Witty. It's the game of kings so you've got to play it. It's your namesake.

Witty
06-15-2014, 11:28 AM
This is a shame Witty. It's the game of kings so you've got to play it. It's your namesake.

It just seems really boring, it isn't a sport if there's nothing to kick, hit, or run with.

For example....Rugby is a sport....darts is not....soccer is a sport....golf is not.....boxing is a sport....chess is not.

I realise this isn't the actual definition of sports, but it is MY definition and therefore more important that the actual definition.

Witty
06-15-2014, 11:32 AM
btw if I am not good at something it automatically doesn't count as a real sport.

Those are the rules.

Zen
06-15-2014, 11:38 AM
It just seems really boring, it isn't a sport if there's nothing to kick, hit, or run with.

For example....Rugby is a sport....darts is not....soccer is a sport....golf is not.....boxing is a sport....chess is not.

I realise this isn't the actual definition of sports, but it is MY definition and therefore more important that the actual definition.

It seems really boring, but there's a moment when you're playing and you realize that you can checkmate your opponent in two moves. In that moment, you feel like a badass. You just outsmarted this guy and made him your bitch. What's not to love about that? Nothing, except being checkmated. Then you da bitch.

But honestly I've never thought of chess as a sport and I hate golf so I agree.

zygote
06-15-2014, 11:43 AM
Zenland, whats your chess.com username. Mine is called alvaromal.

Top 10 sports:
1. Basket throw
2. Flight wheel
3. No hand touch ball
4. Helmet touch
5. Diamond bags
6. Felted holes
7. Fish catching
8. Pole jump
9. Sand sphere
10. Spear throw

Zen
06-15-2014, 11:45 AM
I forgot it awhile back but I'm logged in on an app so ill send you an invite.

Bladed Thesis
06-15-2014, 12:58 PM
It seems really boring, but there's a moment when you're playing and you realize that you can checkmate your opponent in two moves. In that moment, you feel like a badass. You just outsmarted this guy and made him your bitch. What's not to love about that? Nothing, except being checkmated. Then you da bitch.

But honestly I've never thought of chess as a sport and I hate golf so I agree.
If you're two moves away from checkmate when you realize you're two moves from checkmate, you're playing wrong.

Chess is about the long-game and when discovering who's the better chess player, it comes down to who can prepare ahead of their opponent and NOT play what's on the board but instead play your opponent who is playing what's on the board. Or, play your opponent against what he thinks you're planning ahead. Playing chess by what's currently on the board is a quick and easy way to getting overwhelmed and out-played.

Witty
06-15-2014, 01:03 PM
Sounds like too much effort...I'll stick to getting high and playing my xbox.

Zen
06-15-2014, 01:06 PM
If you're two moves away from checkmate when you realize you're two moves from checkmate, you're playing wrong.

Chess is about the long-game and when discovering who's the better chess player, it comes down to who can prepare ahead of their opponent and NOT play what's on the board but instead play your opponent who is playing what's on the board. Or, play your opponent against what he thinks you're planning ahead. Playing chess by what's currently on the board is a quick and easy way to getting overwhelmed and out-played.

Dude, I was using that as an example to entice Witty. Please don't tell me how to play chess.

Bladed Thesis
06-15-2014, 01:09 PM
Dude, I was using that as an example to entice Witty. Please don't tell me how to play chess.
Hahaha, gives bad example, defends himself.

gg hold the re.

http://i.imgur.com/Olr2E.gif

Witty
06-15-2014, 01:15 PM
Bladed Thesis seems quite arrogant.

Bladed Thesis
06-15-2014, 01:17 PM
Bladed Thesis seems quite arrogant.
Agreed.

Witty
06-15-2014, 01:22 PM
<3

I just found a piece I wrote about chess, I was only 16 lol

8 years ago....fuck.

Black’s Move

I apply mental floss on the doctors orders
Meditate to get away from the darkest corners
I blocked these borders, a smile breaks onto my tired gaze
While I smoke, I hope happiness aint an acquired taste
Cuz it stands dire and fake, I wanna break my ceramic attired face
Smash this saran-wrapped porcelain shell
Before I’m scorching in hell, I’m forced to rebel
As I take a white, but lose a soldier as well
Sing a venomous lullaby to my lil girl - aged one
And collapse in a slump
-beside my prisoners-

White’s Move

Screaming from her crib, my baby awakens
As I gaze merrily vacant - complacent
Patient with life, take it one-pace-at-a-time
Newly bloomed buds are greatly sublime
I smile….and just lay back and kick it
Play badminton, black jack and cricket
Friday - Saturday - Sunday - days of the lord
Where the face of the board, is outcast
Like the ways of the sword
The pawns move forward
Kings and Queens step aside
And on one of these days, even the bishops survive
------there goes another black------
Sliced from the knife of the knight
The whites are ahead, blacks are behind
But continue to fight, their loss at the back of their mind
The piece might be dead, but it’s tracks are unsigned

Black’s Move

I study my target, feeling so bloody lethargic
Back at work, and trying my hardest to start it
Monday has released it’s venom, sunk it’s teeth
squeezed out every inch of belief
And replaced it with grief
---------------There goes a white------------
Knocked off the square, onto the pile of the fallen
I’m down-trodden, as I light up this pollen
Crowds flow, like locusts to the most impressive bargain
Youths talk nonsense, in their senseless jargon
Blacks Pieces crowd my mind, return of the king
Here to take his throne, murder the spring
A diagonal move, there’s a pawn at his feet
Fumes invade my lungs, in a world of elites
Us common folk, are like murdering cheats
How did I get here? In this circumstance?
In the eyes of the system, we’re like worker ants
--------but the White Queen is still to move----------

White’s Move

Drifting silently, hopping over bishops and knights
The queen moves with ambition and might
1-2-3-4-5, yes five black pieces, added to the pile
Ticked off in my brain, registered with my smile
Pawns, rooks, and bishops alike - stand tall in their plight
The fallen of white, has begun stalling tonight
Blacks are outnumbered, soldiers wounded or dead
As my wife, climbs quietly into my bed
I look to the ceiling with a warm place in my heart
For tomorrow there is a new game, just waiting to start

Checkmate

Zen
06-15-2014, 02:04 PM
Hahaha, gives bad example, defends himself.

gg hold the re.

http://i.imgur.com/Olr2E.gif

Dude, I don't care how fucking good you are at chess you don't KNOW you'll checkmate someone in more than two moves. You might because you're a god damn psychic chess maestro, but the rest of us will notice that checkmate COULD be gotten in five moves tops because the rest of us realize that we're playing other people who aren't fucking idiots and will likely see what we're doing. Now excuse me, I'm trying to spend time with my family without some cocksucker online trying to argue with me about chess. FUCKING CHESS. Let it go brah.

Certain
06-15-2014, 02:09 PM
Bladed Thesis is right, though. You should be setting up traps all game and feeling out how an opponent will react to those traps so that you can feel the success of a checkmate coming as soon as you start your final trap. Of course Zenland is right, too, that a good opponent may sniff out the checkmate and avoid it by making a move against his or her own nature.

Bladed Thesis
06-15-2014, 02:24 PM
Now excuse me, I'm trying to spend time with my family without some cocksucker online trying to argue with me about chess. FUCKING CHESS. Let it go brah.
Nobody was arguing about chess until you blew a gasket, friend.

Let it go...

Zen
06-15-2014, 02:33 PM
You're right. I'm ashamed of myself.

Witty
06-15-2014, 03:47 PM
Watching France vs Honduras...god damn Pogba is good.

The Honduras team look like they came not to play football but to injure as many of the opposition as possible lmao

Certain
06-15-2014, 04:23 PM
I was thinking the same about Patrice Evra.

Witty
06-15-2014, 04:32 PM
3-0 lol

yeah Evra is playing well, had an awful season with Man Utd but he is looking back on form today.

And as I am typing this I look up to see him injured :/

Witty
06-15-2014, 04:34 PM
it's ok tho he's back now lol

Bladed Thesis
06-15-2014, 04:48 PM
Pogba is a prodigy and only going to get better at Juventus.

Certain
06-15-2014, 04:51 PM
yeah Evra is playing well, had an awful season with Man Utd but he is looking back on form today.

He looks really sharp in midfield. Maybe he should move up?

Witty
06-15-2014, 05:02 PM
He looks really sharp in midfield. Maybe he should move up?

I've always rated him more as an attacking player than a defensive player, kinda like Glen Johnson for England, tho he is better at defending than Johnson....the only problem being he is getting older and I dunno if he would have the legs to play that position for a full season, but he's looking good right now. i thought he was leaving Utd but apparently he will be staying so it will be interesting to see what Louis Van Gaal does with him.

Witty
06-15-2014, 05:15 PM
Next we get to see possibly the most talented player of all time...I hope he rips them apart tbh

Certain
06-15-2014, 05:24 PM
Next we get to see possibly the most talented player of all time...I hope he rips them apart tbh

That's high praise for Zvjezdan Misimovic.

This game is going to end up like 6-3 Argentina.

Bladed Thesis
06-15-2014, 05:28 PM
He's talking about Dzeko.

Witty
06-15-2014, 05:30 PM
That's high praise for Zvjezdan Misimovic.

This game is going to end up like 6-3 Argentina.

LMAO

Yeah it could be a very high scoring game due to Argentina's defense and Dzeko playing for Bosnia who is a very good striker.

Should be the most entertaining game so far.

Witty
06-15-2014, 05:53 PM
Argentina are playing 5-3-2??

That's strange, normally they play 4-3-3 so as to enhance the threat of Messi even more.

Didn't expect them to have such a defensive formation.

Witty
06-15-2014, 06:48 PM
Looks like I may have to eat my words about Messi, he (along with most of his teammates) doesn't even look like he's aware there's a game of football happening, Argentina have not been good....Bosnia are no joke tho, they have surprised me.

patrown
06-17-2014, 04:02 AM
thanks for the mag bro. great job holding it down this season . much respect.
lmk if you need me.