PDA

View Full Version : Who says soccer? Ask the people who invented the word (and the game) - the Brits

oats
06-18-2014, 10:12 AM
Sorry to all so-called purists, but the English were the ones who started calling it soccer first, not the Americans.

http://m.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/06/why-we-call-soccer-soccer/372771/

Badweather
06-18-2014, 10:20 AM
people actually argue about this? lol

big baby
06-18-2014, 10:36 AM
people actually argue about this? lol

all the time. ppl get offended when u say soccer

Just C
06-18-2014, 10:40 AM
Sorry to all so-called purists, but the English were the ones who started calling it soccer first, not the Americans.

http://m.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/06/why-we-call-soccer-soccer/372771/

The question isn't who came up with the word soccer. The question is why.

The answer is American Football which Americans call Football.

The argument comes from people calling a game where players barely use their feet in conjunction with the ball, football. over a game where feet are 99% of the game

Shit you could even say an american football isnt even a ball lol

Badweather
06-18-2014, 10:51 AM
The question isn't who came up with the word soccer. The question is why.

The answer is American Football which Americans call Football.

The argument comes from people calling a game where players barely use their feet in conjunction with the ball, football. over a game where feet are 99% of the game

Shit you could even say an american football isnt even a ball lol

probably because the ball is taken on foot to the goal? it's all semantics really. no biggie, right?

Brian Bryan
06-18-2014, 10:59 AM
Handball seems the obvious choice for the name of the game, to me at least. The ball is carried in peoples arms, or hands, so why not handball or armball?

It's the most logical. The ball isn't kicked with the foot, so football seems rather a stretch of the imagination.

The 'ball' isn't spherical shaped, either. Infact, it's more of an egg-shape, so why not 'handegg' or 'armegg' or Americ-egg or something sensible?

Beats me.

Eŋg
06-18-2014, 11:26 AM
americans still say soccer, even if eton boys near the turn of the century coined it. i can't think of anyone but yanks and aussies saying it now.

it makes sense that the word came from britain to then be rebuffed. though i never heard the story before. good article.

Witty
06-18-2014, 02:51 PM
Yeah it is derived from the word Association football as was used in England originally...my football history is second to none.

However, it was originally called football, the term soccer came some time afterwards, so football is the original and correct term for the sport, soccer was only ever used as a sort of nickname (Like Rugger for Rugby) never the official term.

Fig
06-18-2014, 03:29 PM
Handball seems the obvious choice for the name of the game, to me at least. The ball is carried in peoples arms, or hands, so why not handball or armball?

It's the most logical. The ball isn't kicked with the foot, so football seems rather a stretch of the imagination.

The 'ball' isn't spherical shaped, either. Infact, it's more of an egg-shape, so why not 'handegg' or 'armegg' or Americ-egg or something sensible?

Beats me.

Because that sounds retarded as fuck?

Yo nigga let's get down on some armegg Aw fuck yeah no

Brian Bryan
06-19-2014, 02:43 AM
Yeah it is derived from the word Association football as was used in England originally...my football history is second to none.

google history*

Witty
06-19-2014, 07:31 AM
google history*

I love that knowledge is now so rare ppl assume u must be lying.

Nah, I'm just super smart.

Get on my level.

Brian Bryan
06-19-2014, 07:50 AM
Knowledge is rare? This is 2014. The web is two clicks away with billions of results to whatever query you could possibly want to know the answer to.

Knowledge had never been so readily available.

Witty
06-19-2014, 08:15 AM
I mean real knowledge, gained from living life and having conversations, reading books, life experiences...like the slumdog millionaire guy.

Googling it is cheating, and repeating something you just saw on google does not make you smart...it makes you lazy.

Hush
06-19-2014, 09:11 AM
If witty isn't a persona he's the most boring person ever

Witty
06-19-2014, 09:15 AM
If witty isn't a persona he's the most boring person ever

:(

U hurt me soooo bad Hushy baby, y u hate me???

Brian Bryan
06-19-2014, 09:31 AM
I mean real knowledge, gained from living life and having conversations, reading books, life experiences...like the slumdog millionaire guy.

Googling it is cheating, and repeating something you just saw on google does not make you smart...it makes you lazy.

You're seriously trying too hard to make it look like you didn't read or hear someone else say that shit then regurgitate what you read/heard to come off smart, even with it being blatantly obviously that that's exactly what you did.

What does it matter how you found out about it, be that the web or someone IRL?

You posted it purely for the purpose of stroking your own deluded ego and it's transparent as fuck.

You a lame.

Brian Bryan
06-19-2014, 09:46 AM
lmao Witty in here right now viewing thread, not posting

pussy

Witty
06-19-2014, 09:50 AM
You're seriously trying too hard to make it look like you didn't read or hear someone else say that shit then regurgitate what you read/heard to come off smart, even with it being blatantly obviously that that's exactly what you did.

What does it matter how you found out about it, be that the web or someone IRL?

You posted it purely for the purpose of stroking your own deluded ego and it's transparent as fuck.

You a lame.

I posted it because it's true and that's what this thread is about?

And yes, I read it somewhere...that's how knowledge works, you learn things from elsewhere and then when there is a discussion you say what you know about the subject....I have learned some things about football, and now that there is a conversation about it I can say what I have learned....this is how discussion and conversation work, you should try it instead of just posting super dumb stuff all the time...did you think I was saying I was just born with that knowledge? ur dumb.

Also, you're the one who found it so hard to believe someone might actually know something without googling it.....which really says a lot about where you get your 'knowledge' from.

You are trying too hard, settle down little princess.

Edit: And also, this post is another example of you posting super dumb comments, you said I am trying too hard to make it seem like I didn't read/hear that information elsewhere even tho in my last post I said thissss

So, in conclusion, you are super dumb and cannot read....you shouldn't attempt to clown people when you are not too bright yourself.

Witty
06-19-2014, 09:52 AM
lmao Witty in here right now viewing thread, not posting

pussy

Sometimes I have a life to live and can't always post exactly when u want me to.

I realise you won't understand this.

Wise Wiggles
06-19-2014, 09:53 AM
wtf is a football if it isn't a ball? y'all need to quit nerding so much

Witty
06-19-2014, 09:53 AM
Yeah an American Football still counts as a ball tbh they don't have to be round :/

Another example of Brian having no idea what he is talking about.

Eŋg
06-21-2014, 04:56 PM
"From this point onwards the two versions of football were distinguished by reference to their longer titles, Rugby Football and Association Football (named after the Football Association)," Szymanski writes. "The rugby football game was shortened to 'rugger,'" while "the association football game was, plausibly, shortened to 'soccer.'"

^ this wasn't from the article in the OP.

Objective
06-21-2014, 07:17 PM
so why not 'handegg'

Has been joked around with for centuries, haha. Source:

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/6464387/handegg.0_standard_709.0.jpg

The problem isn't really when y'all say ''soccer'' (although I got to admit I think it sounds stupid af), it's when people from the US correct us or call us stupid for calling football football.

Hush
06-22-2014, 08:06 PM
:(

U hurt me soooo bad Hushy baby, y u hate me???

I don't hate you

Ur the vanilla ice cream of boarding tho

Witty
06-22-2014, 08:13 PM
<33333

You love me.