PDA

View Full Version : The function of religion in a globalized society?

Fig
07-07-2014, 10:08 PM
Are our cultures in danger?

Are these cultures a danger to globalization?

namix
07-07-2014, 10:13 PM
awesome questions.

no - they already defined you.

yes - they already defined it.

namix
07-07-2014, 10:15 PM
consider the geographic displacement of the 'big boy' religions anyway.

they are well integrated in all corners of the earth.

and while I know that a teacher asked you this, or some form of the question, I am disappointed that you have not expounded with your own thoughts hommie.

Fig
07-07-2014, 10:18 PM
consider the geographic displacement of the 'big boy' religions anyway.

they are well integrated in all corners of the earth.

and while I know that a teacher asked you this, or some form of the question, I am disappointed that you have not expounded with your own thoughts hommie.

You're being a bit projective no? I was hoping to spark a discussion. Expound off others thoughts a bit.

dead man
07-07-2014, 11:27 PM
although the general trend throughout history may suggest otherwise, i don't think religion will ever globally consolidate the way popular culture or politics or technology will. regardless of a push in that direction to meet an agenda of any kind. there is a nonzero chance but if there were 2 men alive on earth, they are very likely to disagree on an ideal belief system.

the world is becoming 'smaller' and more connective but obviously still extremely divided ideologically. which is a good thing. there are many benefits to globalization but this would not be one of them. if anything i would say globalization is a danger to the cultural function of religion, not vice versa.

Paradigm
07-07-2014, 11:42 PM
Scientology still exists today. Mormonism, a relatively young religion, still exists today. I don't think Religion will ever really take over or define culture on a global scale, but People fundamentally will and want to believe in a higher power, and will seek to define it somehow one way or another, forever. Religion will always carve out a niche in society because we need that crutch, we need to define what we don't understand.

stupid sheep.

Adonis
07-08-2014, 01:07 AM
No, and no.

I can visit the world by the click of a mouse, I have live feeds to news from around the world at my service. I can Google earth anywhere I want, we are globalized. But I still hold my own estranged beliefs of, being Apes offspring, and although we would slowly evolve into humans eventually, we were jump started at some point by a much older and wiser species. Now, that shit sounds weird as fuck right? I don't give a fuck. Point is, globalization of all cultures and creeds and religions has not changed me one single bit. Good question, but not a smart one in my mind because shit won't change safe for a new world order. And even then, only if the new world order MAKES you take a single religion or die or some shit. People have there own beliefs from when they were raised, people don't change often. It takes multiple generations to do so. But still, there will never be one religion because they're will always be money in creating a new religion. POINT BLANK. if a million people give me a dollar I will write a new bible. Just saying.

Eŋg
07-08-2014, 01:26 AM
god gave man law. man gave us religion.

oats
07-08-2014, 01:41 AM
globalization, in my humble opinion, is an inevitability - not only is it already entrenched, it's only going to extend further as the rest of the world develops. Religion will always have place in society, but the convergence forces of technology are far too powerful to be undermined by it. Specifically, religion isn't going anywhere, but now people aren't as geographically destined to be a part of one religion or another as they were a hundred years ago, because information disseminates so quickly.

That being said, religion, to me, is an important moral arbiter. I got suckered into a political/economic debate on Facebook today (ugh), and it concerned me. There's a growing tide of libertarianism that proposes freedom over any and all values, and I think that's a one-dimensional view of human existence. What about compassion for the weak and vulnerable? What about stewardship over our physical planet? These are important values that most major religions express. I think religions stem from a system of ethics that are often lost in our modern political climate, but are nonetheless vital to a meaningful human experience.

Adonis
07-08-2014, 01:44 AM
globalization, in my humble opinion, is an inevitability - not only is it already entrenched, it's only going to extend further as the rest of the world develops. Religion will always have place in society, but the convergence forces of technology are far too powerful to be undermined by it. Specifically, religion isn't going anywhere, but now people aren't as geographically destined to be a part of one religion or another as they were a hundred years ago, because information disseminates so quickly.

That being said, religion, to me, is an important moral arbiter. I got suckered into a political/economic debate on Facebook today (ugh), and it concerned me. There's a growing tide of libertarianism that proposes freedom over any and all values, and I think that's a one-dimensional view of human existence. What about compassion for the weak and vulnerable? What about stewardship over our physical planet? These are important values that most major religions express. I think religions stem from a system of ethics that are often lost in our modern political climate, but are nonetheless vital to a meaningful human experience.

I read like three exerts from your blog before bed last night :ThumbsUp:

oats
07-08-2014, 01:47 AM
I read like three exerts from your blog before bed last night :ThumbsUp:

much appreciated. I'll have another up once I get my verse done

Adonis
07-08-2014, 02:00 AM
much appreciated. I'll have another up once I get my verse done

I like how you handled that British insult section by the way,

Funny how you repeated him and he got offended...Dumb fuck

Peace bitches, thread jack over I gotta wake up in a few for work

veritas
07-08-2014, 08:16 AM
I have much to say about this.

Destroyer
07-08-2014, 10:34 AM
religion is a crutch of man
until he releases it, he'll never walk on his own and therefore is on a much slower path to his ultimate destination

Batty
07-08-2014, 10:43 AM
There's no definitive answer to the OP's questions. The entire world seems to be in a transitional phase right now, but especially here in the states.

By "transitional phase", I mean that for the first time in a long time people are starting to rethink their stances on alot of issues including religious beliefs as well as political beliefs. Something like the acceptance of gay marriage is going to have a huge impact on culture across the board because we have years and years of culture where male/female relationships are promoted in literature, cinema, etc. Mostly gays have been treated in a hateful or stereotypical manner throughout history.

I mean what is the gay equivalent of Romeo and Juliet?

Brokeback Mountain? LOL

Speaking on technology: People are way more influenced by the media and entertainment these days than they are a bible or what a preacher has to say. I mean, what do you think is more popular right now.... The Bible or Facebook?

So yes, I personally feel our "cultures" are always in danger because the majority of people these days are quick to fold under pressure or be persuaded by the media to support an agenda. I do respect the fact that there are people who fight against some changes, stick to their guns or are just flat out stubborn when it comes to abandoning traditions....until laws force them to do otherwise, unfortunately.

Anybody out there who's Catholic will tell you, it's to the point now that if you mention Catholicism, people automatically think about priest molesting choir boys.

It's gonna take a while for the dust to settle.

Batty
07-08-2014, 10:49 AM
religion is a crutch of man
until he releases it, he'll never walk on his own and therefore is on a much slower path to his ultimate destination

Yeah, but a crutch is used to help a man who has been injured and can not walk on his own, therefore it is vital to him walking.

I am accepting of any religion, law or code a person decides to go by in order to have a conscience over their actions. If some depressed, suicidal dude decides not to shoot my workplace up due to fear of God's wrath or an eternity in hell, I'm all for that shit, how could you not be?

I'll take the Bible Thumpers over hipster wiggers with zero conscience all day, every day of the week. There are some people in this world that you do not want creating their own codes.

Destroyer
07-08-2014, 10:51 AM
Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it.

Destroyer
07-08-2014, 10:53 AM
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid."

Batty
07-08-2014, 01:13 PM
Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it.

Lol, I enjoy it when people use quotes as law.

"There is no knowledge that is not power"

Is there a "human decency gene" that people are born with that I didn't know about?

I'm pretty sure it's a learned thing, if we can just agree that the Bible can be a solid teaching tool, we can move forward in this discussion. I mean, the 10 commandments seem decent.

Destroyer
07-08-2014, 01:23 PM
if we pick and choose what's good and what isn't
but then, who's really making the call in what's moral and what isn't?

Inno
07-08-2014, 01:39 PM
Man,will always have a need to believe I'm something.

Religion offers that at its simplest form

So no. Religion will always be around....it will probably
Evolve into something else as the generations pass.
But the core of religion will always be present.

It's human nature to congregate.

Witty
07-08-2014, 02:59 PM
Lol, I enjoy it when people use quotes as law.

"There is no knowledge that is not power"

Is there a "human decency gene" that people are born with that I didn't know about?

I'm pretty sure it's a learned thing, if we can just agree that the Bible can be a solid teaching tool, we can move forward in this discussion. I mean, the 10 commandments seem decent.

I think what he means is the bible or religion in general is not the SOLE source of moralsor ethics, as a lot of religious folk will have you believe.

Whatever you need to get thru life is your business, but don't get at me saying I'm going to hell just because I live in a different way, cuz that's just gonna get you punched in the face for being an obnoxious fuck, you know?

Btw i don't mean you as in YOU lol I got love for Batty da gawd.

Batty
07-08-2014, 03:58 PM
I think what he means is the bible or religion in general is not the SOLE source of moralsor ethics, as a lot of religious folk will have you believe.

Whatever you need to get thru life is your business, but don't get at me saying I'm going to hell just because I live in a different way, cuz that's just gonna get you punched in the face for being an obnoxious fuck, you know?

Btw i don't mean you as in YOU lol I got love for Batty da gawd.

Yeah, I feel ya 100 on that, trust... especially the part about "whatever you need to get thru life...", that's actually my point, I don't care if a person is spiritual or not, I don't care if they think I'm going to hell or whatever they might think. The point is, we all have been influenced whether it be from a mentor, a preacher, a friend, a life experience, a book, etc. We are not born with morals or a code, we create that shit ourselves even if we choose a religion. Even if a person decides to choose Christianity out of all the other religions out there, there are TONS of denominations to choose from, some very different from others.

Disgruntled atheists would just generally have us believe that all Christians are deep woods Southern Baptists who dance with snakes and hold BURN IN HELL FAGS signs just as a lot of anti-Catholics would have you believe all Priests jack little boys. I got friends who are preachers, atheists, muslims, etc. I was just saying, I ain't got no anger towards anybody trying to get some faith and be good.

I'm saying all this and I don't even go to church myself lol.

NYCSPITZ
07-08-2014, 04:10 PM
The function of religion will always be debated. There will always be various sects but the question is will the judeo-christian religions be able to evolve into something wiser and less volatile. The key is stop treating humans like gods or sages (jesus, mohammed, socrates, buddha, plato, epictetus) and acknowledge that we all have tremendous untapped spiritual power. I believe in the Force like in Star Wars.

Fig
07-08-2014, 04:33 PM
Let's think of religions as operating systems. There are many different kinds, each with its own methodology. Religions give people a mythology to follow, along with traditions that help to keep that mythology in a state of importance in society(remember, "myth" means nothing more than something which someone believes to be true). This breeds cultural identity. I believe this is where the positive effect of religion in globalized society is most dully noted. We need eclectic thinkers with widespread cultural insight. But the more we influence each other, don't we become capped under the same cultural casing?

Friend Zone Fred Zim
07-08-2014, 04:40 PM
Answer gets you a B plus in your AP English class but you fail real life. Too beta!

Alpha Male Jim Sanchez
07-08-2014, 04:42 PM
Let's think of religions as operating systems. There are many different kinds, each with its own methodology. Religions give people a mythology to follow, along with traditions that help to keep that mythology in a state of importance in society(remember, "myth" means nothing more than something which someone believes to be true). This breeds cultural identity. I believe this is where the positive effect of religion in globalized society is most dully noted. We need eclectic thinkers with widespread cultural insight. But the more we influence each other, don't we become capped under the same cultural casing?

I agree with Fred. You are saying very few things in very many words. Jettison the superfluous trimmings here, we are dealing with an easily defined issue. Do we need flexible thinkers in order to better control the great force of religion? The answer is yes, child...

Fig
07-08-2014, 04:46 PM
Answer gets you a B plus in your AP English class but you fail real life. Too beta!

I don't know if I'll ever outlive the embarrassment of being sonned by fail alias 1 and 2.

Alpha Male Jim Sanchez
07-08-2014, 04:49 PM
smh

Batty
07-08-2014, 04:52 PM
The function of religion will always be debated. There will always be various sects but the question is will the judeo-christian religions be able to evolve into something wiser and less volatile. The key is stop treating humans like gods or sages (jesus, mohammed, socrates, buddha, plato, epictetus) and acknowledge that we all have tremendous untapped spiritual power. I believe in the Force like in Star Wars.

Don't treat "humans as sages" yet we all have untapped spiritual powers? LOL

And Star Wars was heavily influenced by religion specifically Christianity with Anakin being "The chosen one" and bringing balance to the Force.

It's always an entertaining obstacle in discussions to see people say God doesn't exist but UFO's, Bigfoot, ghosts and the Illuminati is on some real shit.

May the Force be with you.

NYCSPITZ
07-08-2014, 04:55 PM
lol. God isn't jesus. There is a spiritual force which cannot be fully comprehended by humans. May the force be with you young genius...

NYCSPITZ
07-08-2014, 04:56 PM
Don't treat "humans as sages" yet we all have untapped spiritual powers? LOL

And Star Wars was heavily influenced by religion specifically Christianity with Anakin being "The chosen one" and bringing balance to the Force.

It's always an entertaining obstacle in discussions to see people say God doesn't exist but UFO's, Bigfoot, ghosts and the Illuminati is on some real shit.

May the Force be with you.

always entertaining to see absolute retards who think people can walk on water

Batty
07-08-2014, 04:59 PM
lol. God isn't jesus. There is a spiritual force which cannot be fully comprehended by humans. May the force be with you young genius...

Live Long and Prosper.

NYCSPITZ
07-08-2014, 05:04 PM
k

veritas
07-08-2014, 05:10 PM
TRUTH:

no one living knows what happens when they will die.
everyone will die.

There is written evidence of life after death.
There is physical proof of an intelligence greater than ours.

Since I know that I will die, and that there is something after this, I care about it.

I am a sinner.
We are all sinners.
we can not stop sinning.

Good works will not erase this, our frail human nature.
Jesus saves us from this, because we cannot save ourselves.
Jesus is the God of gods.
let us always be honest withourselves and our nature and this universe (s)

NYCSPITZ
07-08-2014, 05:12 PM
^^ child mentality. I estimate VERITAS' try hard IQ at 120 tops, probably 115. Not exceptionally smart so it makes sense he can't understand his ignorance. Men cannot replicate fish and walk on water. There is a commonality in the thought of "sage" types and that commonality is not that they are god incarnate

PancakeBrah
07-08-2014, 05:25 PM
Glad we have the crack netcees team on the religion case.

I'm sure well get to the bottom of this in no time flat.

Its refreshing to see religious debate on the internet. Finally! Now keep giving me more amazing ideas to read!

Alpha Male Jim Sanchez
07-08-2014, 05:33 PM
Glad we have pancake complaining about these threads again.

I'm sure nobody will pay attention to his opinions again.

It's refreshing to see he hasn't changed his mindset. Yes! He's really so smart to point out his self-absorbed opinions.

oats
07-08-2014, 05:39 PM

Its refreshing to see religious debate on the internet. Finally! Now keep giving me more amazing ideas to read!

lol this made me chuckle

Witty
07-08-2014, 05:42 PM

Your sarcasm often brightens my days.

Thank you.

dull boy
07-08-2014, 05:52 PM
Lol @ people sharing their long winded opinions of self importance

Lol @ me

NYCSPITZ
07-08-2014, 05:52 PM
we r all self absorbed /......

like sponges in an OCEAN.....

Witty
07-08-2014, 05:58 PM
Nothing wrong with talking about things like this tho, there's just not really anything that can be said that hasn't already been said but I encourage debate regardless, it's good for the mind.

Fig
07-08-2014, 06:19 PM
Lol @ people sharing their long winded opinions of self importance

Lol @ me

You are the smartest person you know

Witty
07-08-2014, 06:38 PM
I am the smartest person I know but only because I don't think you can fully know anyone other than yourself.

#deepasfuckm8

Batty
07-08-2014, 07:06 PM
we r all self absorbed /......

like sponges in an OCEAN.....

You ever watch old school Star Trek, bro?

veritas
07-08-2014, 07:42 PM
^^ child mentality. I estimate VERITAS' try hard IQ at 120 tops, probably 115. Not exceptionally smart so it makes sense he can't understand his ignorance. Men cannot replicate fish and walk on water. There is a commonality in the thought of "sage" types and that commonality is not that they are god incarnate

JESUS is God manifest in the flesh.

Fig
07-08-2014, 10:45 PM

Our Higher Heritage by James J. Hurtak, Ph.D.

I do think you'd enjoy it.

PancakeBrah
07-08-2014, 10:58 PM
Fig starting to piss me off bruh

Fig
07-08-2014, 11:00 PM
Fig starting to piss me off bruh

I hate you

TYSON
07-09-2014, 06:09 AM
I like how your opinions of the unknown make others opinions seem like a lack of IQ. Enjoy your discussion tho.

YDK
07-09-2014, 10:39 AM
Aliens sparked religion

Boom

Go

NYCSPITZ
07-09-2014, 01:47 PM
You ever watch old school Star Trek, bro?

na G

namix
07-09-2014, 03:35 PM
You're being a bit projective no? I was hoping to spark a discussion. Expound off others thoughts a bit.

100% I thought you were just effing around in the OP doggy lol

there will be some cross-pollination of values in a truly global society for sure --- some belief systems will be watered down, to the point they are no longer differentiated from other systems which are watered down ---- and others will go the reverse direction to 'protect' those systems, and dissociate themselves from that global society and/or distinguish themselves while maintaining the exclusivity of their belief system (think traditional jewish, strict rules 'must marry a jew', or muslim's attire/etc./etc.)

Just like all things, it's just waves goin through the ebbs and flows ---- the more we come together, the more we desire space... the more we assimilate into a group, the more we wish to distinguish ourselves from them.

At some juncture, the only differences that exist between any religion is just our subjective perception shaped by our relative perception of two extremes.... two extremes which we need in order to individuate things and experience this world. even this tangent itself, at some juncture, is a different means to the same end.

all paths up the mountain end with the same point at some point.

StarFaggot
07-09-2014, 03:41 PM

Are you Pentecostal?

StarFaggot
07-09-2014, 03:43 PM
I like how your opinions of the unknown make others opinions seem like a lack of IQ. Enjoy your discussion tho.

True