PDA

View Full Version : Round 2 - Kin vs. Bxyunggritty vs. Badi Alii - (Kin wins 4-3)

Mike Wrecka
08-06-2014, 03:01 PM
http://www.miketrampetv.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/THE-MIC-624x619.png

Due Date : 8-14-14 11:59 PM PST

Verse Length Limit : 4 Minutes

Battlers must use the supplied topic and beat

Topic : Real Life

Beat :https://soundcloud.com/free_hip_hop_rap_beats/de-froiz-creature-of-the-night

Kin Bxyunggritty Badi Alii

Kin
08-07-2014, 10:11 PM
ChecKin in

Kin
08-08-2014, 11:04 AM
Letz Go

https://soundcloud.com/its-kin/real-life-round-2

<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/162272046&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_ comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;vi sual=true"></iframe>

Bxyunggritty
08-11-2014, 01:40 PM
https://soundcloud.com/bxyunggritty/real-life

<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/162691489&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_ comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;vi sual=true"></iframe>

Bodey
08-13-2014, 10:08 PM
Badi Alii has withdrawn her track

https://soundcloud.com/badiali/real-life-round-2

<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/163058350&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_ comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;vi sual=true"></iframe>

this sucks :/ sorry, just couldnt stick with the beat

I work 2 jobs and I'm still fuckin broke
Mornin Dunkin Donuts, I wanna slit my throat
I'm spittin at minimum wage with venom and rage as Eminem plays
Wincin in pain as they continue to obliterate me by pinchin my pay
I'll probably end up quittin today cuz I'm just too offended to stay
Ima head to the beach to go sip on Guiness and fade til I'm more tinted than Dre
Drown myself in the bay til I'm whisked away by the waves and go missing for days
I get a little mean as I'm scribblin these
Spit into the mirror listlessly, just before it's smashed to smitherreens
Take me to a better place, away from all this blindness
Sick of feelin lifeless, sick of people's disguises of sugar-coated kindness
Their fakery is spineless, classic rookies at its finest
Already decidin if I'm a pussy or a lionness
That's why my liver is always aligned with bitter hepatitis growing as I write this

Dont like my voice? That's a good choice cuz it leaves me annoyed
That's why I roll joints, listen to Royce and act like a boy

That's why I'd trade a pair of heels for a couple of Nikes
That's why they'll always squeal how I'm nothin but dykey

That's why it always matters if they're not gonna like me
How do you apologize for such an obsessive psyche?

I've juggled personalites, the ones that nibble self-esteem
I'm troubled worse than allergies that tickle at an addict's sleep
A couple perverts have at me, something done so callously
Popped the bubbled fallacy that drinks would always balance me
Woke up in the middle of the woods with cuts that still bled
It was as if 100 knives were stabbed inbetween my legs

How twisted is it that you think you're on your safe ground
And wake up rigid in it fully naked from the waist down

But I didn't go to the cops, I let it fester for months
Insanity grew like the crops that you'd roll in your blunts
Suddenly caught the crazy flu and shanked a few with raging fuel
Now you're on the ground with eighteen wounds, aww look what you made me do

Starin blankly at the street, seeping its entirety
Feeling faint, afraid to speak, I lost to this guy in my sleep
To this very day, I'm here, hoping to dissolve this
Looks like you only get laid when they're totally unconscious
So nice to think out loud, i bet your mother would be proud
Now she'll get to hear what her shithead son is all about
You're just a lost cause bitch, it's no wonder you're adopted
No skeleton in my closet, you smelly lintball in my pocket
Cuz my point of view is more interesting than you
It'll take you down a road that you wouldnt wanna go
And expose all of your sins to the black angel yo
And we know exactly what you'd do, you wouldnt even fight it
You'd sit there, talk your nicest while you straight deny it
Well I hope you like the weather when the temperature is spikin
Cuz you'll forever burn in hell until you fuckin start to like it

Meth
08-13-2014, 10:27 PM
A 3 way that everyone showed up for in an audio tourney?

God damn.

Definitely voting on this when I get home.

But first, props for just showing gize.
Badi Alii Kin Bxyunggritty

Meth
08-13-2014, 11:48 PM
Yo. Cool stuff.

Kin

This was nice. Cool throughout. Solid storyline. The flow was really nice, not easy but nice. Hook was dope. Just like last round.

BXYG

Nice man. I thought this was probably the best storyline from all of them. However, I think the execution really hurt you. Not to say, it was bad by any means, however, it just wasn't on kins level in my opinion. It was very aggressive, which when you started I thought was gonna win you the battle for it being a harder flow to utilize IMO. But you seemed off it more than a time or 2. Still awesome tho

Badi

Yo. Real talk. Usually I really enjoy ur stuff. But.. Man. I was let down here. The flow was... Obviously... Not good. And I'm sure, that this was rushed or something but god. I'm trying to say this as nicely and as helpful as possible, but I honestly couldn't get through the song :(

V/ kin. Best track start to finish. Would listen again.

kannon
08-14-2014, 12:06 AM
Okay... So... I'm gonna start with Badi Alii because... Well, because she's the easiest one to eliminate from this round. :/

Badi Alii. Your flow starts out on point, but quickly falls apart when you get to the "ima head to the beach..." bars. And from there, it never gets back on track. This makes your track very difficult to listen to, because the flow is kinda just ONE-AND-TWO-AND-ONE-AND-TWO-AND, but when it's not being rapped on beat, and the end of each bar isn't being emphasized, it just kinda sounds like rhythmic rambling. The lyrics are depressing. Which I'm sure was the point. But that's another fine line to walk. You kind of either have to go over the top with it, almost being comedic, or it just comes out sad. And I know your last track wasn't meant to be taken seriously, so I'd like to believe there was supposed to be some comedy in here, like the "nothing but dikey" line, but it felt too real. If that makes sense. And I was less entertained by the lyrics, and kind of just started feeling uncomfortable. Especially when you started talking about rape. I would love to hear you on a real mic, with a real set up, with a memorized verse (as opposed to reading it off paper or something), maybe with some punch ins, flowing on beat. Cause I feel like you have a lot of potential, decent schemes and a big vocabulary. Probably listened to a lot of Canibus and Jedi Mind Tricks and shit. But I just think that your current set up, doing everything in one take, is just leaving you with incredibly sloppy results. But I definitely think memorizing your verse would be a huge start to improving your one take flow. Anyways, this is easily third place in this round. Sorry chica.

KIN. I wanna preface this by saying that I don't know how I feel about you turning this into a battle when the topic was meant to be anything but that... Half of me wants to be like "MAN THAT'S WEAK." but the other half of me wants to be like "MAN, DOPE FLIP ON THAT TOPIC." So I'm just gonna let that even itself out, and just take this as it is. And honestly, the use of "REAL" actually kinda tips me back in the favor of this being dope. Flow is cool. Punches were cool too. "used to a three way in real life" was dope. I like the flow switch and that "can't be your real voice" was a dope line to end that slow flow with. I dont know why that stood out so much to me, cause on paper, its a mediocre line, but the delivery was so dope, it made it a dope line. the next chunk of double time gets a little rockier, but you pick it back up quickly. I swear there is like an extra beat and a half right before the hook. So fucking weird. Anyways, Does anyone else find it weird to have a hook in a topical verse? I don't know if that's just a netcees thing, I'm literally never heard anyone ever put a hook in a topical battle before. Flow is on point for the most part. There are a couple lines that skew a little faster than the beat, but nothing that distracts too much. I think my least favorite part of this track is that little acappella chunk. Just like the delivery earlier made an ok bar sound doper, this part made an ok bar sound meh to me. And as miniscule as this may seem, I think its kinda weak that you spit SO MANY less bars about Gritty. Especially since he is your main competition here. But overall, pretty cool shit. I think I'm gonna skew towards liking your topic flip, but the track definitely started much stronger than it ended.

Bronx Eggs and Grittys. Flow started off kinda boring to me. During the "I admire... his will..." the rhymes weren't complex, and the slow flow kinda made it boring. But you switched it up right after that bar, and grabbed my attention again. Another hook. Maybe I'm weird to think that hooks in a topical are weird. Plus I feel like it eliminates so much time you could be building a story. This is weird. I started out thinking this was gonna be close. But for some reason, the more I listen to this (this is the 4th time), the less I like it :/ It feels kind of stream of conscious. Just kinda jumping around a lot. Like, this is a really dope SONG. But I dont know that it's a dope topical. if that makes sense. Delivery is dope. I think of all the people in this round, you fit the beat the best. But lyrically, it leaves a bit to be desired. I would have loved to hear you expand on your relationship with your father from the first verse, or maybe even just focus a bit more in verse two. From a technical stand point, this was great. Flow could be polished up a little, but that might just be a preference thing. It came off a little "half bar...half bar.../ half bar...half bar..." to me. Overall, I think I would probably be more inclined to listen to yours again, but I dont know if that gets you a win under these circumstances...

This is a close battle. Probably closer than I'm making it out to be. But after repetitive listens, and many words, I can't not cast my vote for Kin. That being said, I again would have loved to hear more story from all parties involved. All three verses seemed to skip from idea to idea a bit. Which is why I don't particularly care for such vague topics. I'd have loved to hear more direct story telling, more focused ideas, and more development. I'm excited for the finals.

Vote - Kin

Certain
08-14-2014, 01:39 AM
Kin: You're too formulaic. You sound like you're trying so hard to rap. And turning this into a battle was a bad move to me.

bxyunggritty: I liked this, but I think you need to let things air out with your style. You've got a pro style but need to stop trying to jam everything into lines. Just let it breathe. You're good. I liked this. Very direct approach, but you had a good hook.

Badi Alii: This was bad. You sounded like you were freestyling legitimately.

Vote: bxyunggritty

Badweather
08-14-2014, 11:19 AM
I could go into a shit ton of details but I'm doing this on my phone.

I had to listen to these a bunch of times and pretty much simplify my decision making.

So, to put it simply, I have to give my vote to Bxyunggritty on the premise that I actually learned something about him. Which I feel embraced the topic and my idea of the spirit of this topical tourney. Kin, you had a pretty dope spin on the whole concept, but I couldn't really get on board with practically dissing the competition, in spite of it being very well done. The hook was pretty dope, I must say. But gritty acknowledged some shit on a more real level, and actually made me FEEL something, not to mention how raw his delivery and mixing was laid down. Lyrically I think Kin excelled. However, gritty laid his life and heart out on the track, and I have more respect for that than lyrics and flow.

Vote- Bxyunggritty

Mike Wrecka
08-14-2014, 10:28 PM
damn this was a dope battle. I really like both tracks. have listened to both a shit load of times. this is a tough decision for real. you guys both have a lot of skill and put together really professional sounding audios. especially for the little amount of time you guys work on these.

kin - I thought the fast flow was sick. especially the first verse. the hook was amazing. that's your biggest strength. which is usually peoples biggest weakness. the second verse fell off considerably compared to the first. but was still real good. overall really enjoyed it. and I thought the take on the topic worked perfectly cause you spoke about your opponents real life. which was creative.

bxyunggritty - you brought the energy. the opening line was dope. the line when you say , rhymes are basic but delivery is ill , really does sum up your style. its a little less lyrical but has a maybe 90s vibe to it. which I dig. the hook wasn't as good as kins. but was still pretty cool. the take on the topic was strong. but slightly too straight forward.

badi alii - well obviously your quality sucks. you cant win a battle against these guys with horrendous quality. it almost sounded accapella. but at least you showed up. much props. get a program for the computer lady

tough decision but I enjoyed one slightly more than the other and that's

vote - kin

Adonis
08-14-2014, 10:57 PM
Fuckin Pop up just destroyed my vote

Kin - Your cadence is dope. The way you used your chorus, in particular topic, to rip your counter parts was witty. The way you speed up and slow down all while a continous match with the beat might be undervalued, but I caught that shit. I don't know how I feel about the battle shit, but I will admitt this track was dope and you killed it for it was.

BX - I enjoy your gritty style. You know who you are. I loved the fact you said "Fuck syllables and word play", I am gutter to death. I enjoy that shit, and the fact you put you out there makes it even better. But you had so many gutter rhymes...yet opened with how you are a proud father and proud of your father??? Kind of contradicts??? All grime aside though, as you admitt, lyrically you just don't have it. "Keep dreaming my inner demon trapped, serving life sentence. Only thing inside my body living is brain..I'm transcendent". Lyrically not there, but the style for what is, is thoroughly enjoyable by me.

Ali - I liked the fact that you replied to KIN's diss track. Also, aside from quality, I appreciate the rhyme scheme you went with. The lyrical talent is there, but the cadence is so far off that it kills the listenability. Aside from that, you have talent. But that's a huge thing to overlook. Overall, solid verse if the quality and flow were there.

Voting BX

He spit that raw for me, Kin probably had the better track in all honesty, but for some reason unknown to even me, I enjoyed BX more.

namix
08-16-2014, 02:41 AM
KIN:
- this was my first listen of the tourney and of you, and I was into it from the jump.
- production was real smooth. solid execution. flow was on point.
- lyrics were cool, delivery was energic... topic was hit --- and emphasized with the interesting angle of how you went at your opponents.
...when I started listening your verse had me convinced that this was a "THEMED AUDIO BATTLE" vs. 'topical battle'... It actually lacked the direct personals/clear relevance to be a typical audio battle, which is what made me 're-check' the mic check and realize you just decided to make it battle.... which was cool... creative liberty, I can see how this could actually hurt you in some ways, but I dug it --- it took a generic verse and made it more pointed, you're in a tournament after-all and these are your opponents....

Note Mike Wrecka: since you know im a fan of what you started here already, we should have a 'themed battle audio' at some point (not sure if you're up for running it or not but figured i'd throw it out there) --- i love how you constrained the battlers to the same beat and theme, it makes advancing far less subjective imo ---- it would be interesting to see it on the battle realm i think!

Solid verse Kin, look forward to hearing more from you.

Bx
- the delivery was solid, the flow to the beat was good with only a few hiccups --- but the MESSAGE was REAL strong out the gate.
- production was aiight, pretty much the level i'd expect in round 2 of an audio tourney.... could always be better, but i'm sure theres always more time to be spent on a lil more mixing & mastering.
- I really dug how you started off message-wise... it almost threw me off coming off of Kin's verse, which really made it stand out in a good way --- the more 'real' real life tip, sentimental and more emotional story... daddy yourself, your pops livin on dialysis....
- but then it just went polar on me bro... 'fast life, born to win...' - spit crack til ya head pop --- that was all cool in its own right too, but it seemed like it was a completely different mood or some shit, from admiring your pop's will to that lash out shit, I just felt it was conceptually disjointed a bit
- super detailed here, because both were cool in their own ways, i felt the yea "ya, damn, dads are great that sucks bro" moment and then the "fuck you all in real life" moment but didn't necessarily feel them together...

def. look forward to hearing more from you too dude, solid display.

Bad Alii
- i really dug how you kicked off with "wrote this between shifts, i guess this is as real as it gets"... I was about to get all in with you! There was something about the genuine nature of that writing that was going to give you a head start.
- your lyrics actually seemed very truthful out the gate --- which also get yous some points, like really i believed you were fresh off a shift from duncan donuts and writing on the lid of a trashcan in the kitchen alley or some shit lol...
- that said ---- clearly your delivery, flow, etc., etc., didn't match the other two in this case... there were a couple one-off moments where it seemed like something was about to pop off, double-time coming stuff, but it just wasnt pieced together in a way that lead to a good final product
- also as an aside, that self-choir / back-half bar repeat thing you did "not gonna like me / not gonna like me" type thing is something i would definitely nix if i were you. If you are going to do that, I'd lower the levels at least, so it is like a well timed delayed echo, vs someone repeating their words

-----------------------------------------
VOTE - Kin
-----------------------------------------

Came down to Kin and Bx --- and these things:
1. Bx got the message part -- but the message felt a bit disjointed to me from the jump (dialysis pops) to most thereafter (heads pop)
2. Kin's production quality and delivery consistency was higher quality
3. what makes or breaks most votes I have to imagine is how they feel about "topical audio" being flipped into a diss.... I did that once in an topical tourney and even though I conceptually CRUSHED my opponent, I BAAARELY eeked it out because he wasn't dissing me and everyone was kinda like 'wtf are you wasting the topic for dissing your opponent'... HOWEVER, since this is "REAL LIFE", which is a concept this board uses very very often to make fun of one another, I think flipping it into a diss verse worked fine for me this round.....

Solid shit everyone --- glad I got to peep this.

UnbornBuddha
08-17-2014, 07:53 PM
For some reason I can only access Kin's audio.

Mike Wrecka
08-18-2014, 12:54 AM
For some reason I can only access Kin's audio.

https://soundcloud.com/bxyunggritty/real-life