PDA

View Full Version : Semifinals bracket, chat and predictions

Certain
09-15-2014, 03:20 AM
http://i.imgur.com/jwICwAn.gif

Welcome to the semifinals!

Well, that was a gut-wrenching quarterfinals. But four contenders have made it through, and things only seem primed to get more tense.

Keep in mind that we're up to 14 lines allowed, and this week's topics are simply my own creations. Here are the matchups:

5. kannon vs. 2. Darth Yoda | The Drum Beats

5. Eŋg vs. 6. Soulstice | The Edge of Nowhere

oats
09-15-2014, 03:56 AM
Dope round, good shit to soulstice, and thanks for all the non-participant voters. Excited to see how the rest of the tournament shapes up. Yoda vs. Soulstice for the finals IMO, but I could see eng making it in as well.

kannon
09-15-2014, 04:24 AM
basically anyone but kannon

oats
09-15-2014, 04:44 AM
basically anyone but kannon

It's not impossible for you to beat yoda. But it would be less of a surprise for eng to beat soulstice. Is what I'm saying. My prediction is yoda vs. soulstice though.

kannon
09-15-2014, 02:26 PM
I was hoping the finals would be me and you, so we could have an all lowercase championship.

Certain
09-15-2014, 07:12 PM
I don't think there are upsets at this point. Even last round, none of the permutations would have surprised me.

Hell, even in the second round, the only true upset possibilities would have been Mike Wrecka beating El Pancake and jilti beating kannon.

This tournament isn't suited to upsets because writing well is such a major part of it. In a regular battle, someone can come up with a great approach to the topic and not write it particularly well and beat an elite writer who half-asses. But it's almost impossible to half-ass a 10-line verse or even a 16-line verse.

NYCSPITZ
09-15-2014, 08:06 PM
ENG vs Yoda

ENG WINS

oats
09-15-2014, 09:01 PM
I was hoping the finals would be me and you, so we could have an all lowercase championship.

would have been the most low-key tourney championships ever

Certain
09-15-2014, 09:06 PM
Anyone who wants to submit a top five verses list can.

Eŋg
09-15-2014, 10:21 PM
i would've liked to have battled pinot because i hear he's a legend or something. souls' a topical juggernaut who said i was a freshman/newb five years ago (i was, but i was still good) that i rarely remember losing. getting by him, however unlikely, would probably just mean tackling the enigmatic yoda who is one of the better writers on this site, though i'm not even sure what i've read from him. stuff, i guess. smart money's not on me, totoro. no offence to kannon - you're a very solid competitor.

Diode
09-16-2014, 09:11 AM
RIP everyone's brackets.

PancakeBrah
09-16-2014, 09:59 AM
Yo my verse was drunk trash I am not proud of. Eng deserved that w.

Yoda's got this I think.

Split
09-16-2014, 10:31 AM
Sign into AIM & play chess, they said. It'd be fun, they said

Certain
09-16-2014, 10:50 AM
RIP grandmasters.

oats
09-16-2014, 11:10 AM
RIP everyone's brackets.

mine is now completely fucked lol

Certain
09-16-2014, 11:13 AM
El Pancake had Darth Yoda winning it all, Adonis had kannon in the finals and I had Eŋg in the finals. But oats had none of the semifinalists correct.

oats
09-16-2014, 11:36 AM
RUB IT IN, CERTAIN

Certain
09-16-2014, 12:27 PM
oats picked himself to win the entire tournament. Then he lost in the quarterfinals.

oats
09-16-2014, 12:39 PM
RUB IT IN, CERTAIN

Atti
09-18-2014, 07:22 AM
is that engivale vs soulstice..

so this is where rb topical ran off to.

PancakeBrah
09-18-2014, 04:53 PM

Fuk u nigga

Soulstice
09-18-2014, 05:14 PM

Where you been? Is rb still trash these days I haven't been around for over a year.. and yeah this is the last bastion of respectable topical writing as far as I can tell

Certain
09-18-2014, 05:18 PM
Where you been? Is rb still trash these days I haven't been around for over a year.. and yeah this is the last bastion of respectable topical writing as far as I can tell

Dagel just made the semifinals of their tournament by plagiarizing 2013 Netcees verses.

Atti
09-18-2014, 05:32 PM

word I haven't seen you in probably for or five years man. not since abstanti days. I'm not sure about topical. I've been back about 4 months now. mantra and myself took over the haiku league. on intermission right now but we've got a 30 person poetry tournament with cashouts set to start Monday. so the poetry side is actually pretty strong. laureate, me, mindless, mantra, macabre, highenginechief plus a crop of new guys

Soulstice
09-18-2014, 07:08 PM
word I haven't seen you in probably for or five years man. not since abstanti days. I'm not sure about topical. I've been back about 4 months now. mantra and myself took over the haiku league. on intermission right now but we've got a 30 person poetry tournament with cashouts set to start Monday. so the poetry side is actually pretty strong. laureate, me, mindless, mantra, macabre, highenginechief plus a crop of new guys

I just went on after seeing you and noticed.. yeah topical looked liked garbage but Mantra and Mindless are still around huh? Might need to sign in to the haiku league, one of the better leagues ive been in tbh

abstanti.. that was some good shit

Atti
09-18-2014, 09:55 PM
I just went on after seeing you and noticed.. yeah topical looked liked garbage but Mantra and Mindless are still around huh? Might need to sign in to the haiku league, one of the better leagues ive been in tbh

abstanti.. that was some good shit

mantra was the first one back. he was running the poetry section. then i came back and some lounge rat was running haiku like an idiot so i too that over with mantra and it's been running smooth. we've got a solid group really. past 8 weeks have put out some real solid work. the tourney is various abbreviated poetry forms with a free form final round so hopefully it goes well and we can have more.

topicals here seems pretty dope. maybe i'll get in after the tourney and kick the rust

dyedinthewool
09-18-2014, 10:04 PM
Hmm

Soulstice
09-18-2014, 11:22 PM
topicals here seems pretty dope. maybe i'll get in after the tourney and kick the rust

do it.

@Eng ima writing

Certain
09-18-2014, 11:39 PM
Hmm

Quit trolling.

Soulstice
09-19-2014, 12:05 AM
I dropped - don't know how to tag Eng with his damn wild letters

Certain
09-19-2014, 12:50 AM
When setting up the threads for this round, I took off the no extensions rule with this possibility in mind. If necessary, we'll extend due dates 24 hours.

Darth Yoda
09-19-2014, 01:02 AM
did u, now!

do not know why so long for a cyfer.... if it is allowed then i will post a more regulated version of what i have. so long! and have a good night. very good night.

Split
09-19-2014, 11:48 AM
POST-HUMOUSLY DQ'ING DARTH YODA FOR EDITING HIS VERSE 10 MINUTES AFTER THE DEADLINE

#BARS #NIGGA

lol not srs. but y u no post

Split
09-19-2014, 11:49 AM
do it.

Atti

Bring friends. Not professor frost

oats
09-19-2014, 11:57 AM
Nigma should come back.

NYCSPITZ
09-19-2014, 02:44 PM
i think soulstice got this tournament unless eng comes w a monster verse

big baby
09-19-2014, 11:10 PM
certain leave alune idiyote u dumb as shit

kannon
09-20-2014, 12:05 AM
these extensions are whack as shit

jilti
09-20-2014, 12:07 AM
i got kannon taking this tourney if he advances

Soulstice
09-20-2014, 12:48 AM
Damn... could've been a great round..
What's up kan Diggs see you soon

Eŋg
09-20-2014, 01:29 AM
hope every1 advances

me too. that'd be fun.

Atti
09-20-2014, 08:50 AM
Atti

Bring friends. Not professor frost

All my friends are lazy 03-04 poets. which is a synonym for: no-show artists

Certain
09-21-2014, 04:07 PM
Darth Yoda, kannon, Soulstice and Eŋg, be sure to vote on the other battle. But also, I am wondering about your thoughts on extending voting for this round until Tuesday night and then giving the winners a full week to write for the championship.

dead man
09-21-2014, 04:14 PM
lol at not prof frost. y u say dat?

he seems like a good dude in all honesty Split. maybe a bit misguided. he could probably benefit from our leagues but i have asked him and he has this nationalistic bullshit mentality that keeps him loyal to one rap forum at a time. hence, misguided.

Certain
09-21-2014, 04:38 PM

he seems like a good dude in all honesty Split. maybe a bit misguided. he could probably benefit from our leagues but i have asked him and he has this nationalistic bullshit mentality that keeps him loyal to one rap forum at a time. hence, misguided.

Here's his vote from when Dagel bit an excellent Vulgar verse (bold is mine):

Neither one of you did what you could have. Very disappointing battle, but better than no battle at all - right.
So, here's the thing.

1. Mechanics are in favor of Dagel
2. Story is in favor of DEV

Dagel's verse had better rhymes, better imagery and a better concept -- but no fucking value whatsoever.

DEV's verse was weak but it served a purpose as a story. Something progressive and purposeful as a story.
But, it had no substance. It was a flower vase without a flower within it.

It's really close, because I didn't like either verse. Honestly

Well, I'll have to give credit where it's due. Dagel put forth more effort in making an interesting read.
I think I'll change my mind on voting for DEV. After all, his story was boring as hell.
Dagel had a verse that was pointless but semi-entertaining. I found no value other than a writer that tried hard.
And because of that effort I'll give my vote to him. From the wide range of diction to the somewhat provocative referencing & logic he presented,

Vote: Antihero

http://rapbattles.com/forum/showthread.php?481876-Quarterfinals-DEV-Vs-Johnny-Soul-(Antihero)-Johnny-Soul-Wins-2-0

dead man
09-21-2014, 05:44 PM
:|

Certain
09-21-2014, 06:59 PM
Frank, MKG, trap, Adonis, jilti, Split, MMLP, Cormier, timeless, Zen, Orc, Blanco Bishop, @el pancake, Mike Wrecka, Innovator, YDK, UnbornBuddha, pharaohsarmy52, Pinot Grij, Pent uP, Objective, CopyPat, Diode, Defiant and oats, your votes would be much appreciated and reciprocated.

Adonis
09-21-2014, 07:08 PM
Certain

Got you today..Feed me something in OM though, short and sweet on your end

I'll get you some feed today. Haven't even been drinking much PLAYER!!!

oats
09-21-2014, 07:48 PM
I'll vote on at least one when I get home from work tonight if it's extended. Prob the second tomorrow morning.

I think I mentioned it in the discussion thread, but what Certain quoted was what I was referring to when I said how hilarious a plunge the RB topical scene took, that not only are they not that good, but they really have no idea what constitutes good writing over there. That being said, I think timeless really benefited from the aowl (and vice versa, he was consistent and active), and I'm sure Frost and some others would too.

Certain
09-21-2014, 07:56 PM
Darth Yoda, kannon, Soulstice and Eŋg, be sure to vote on the other battle. But also, I am wondering about your thoughts on extending voting for this round until Tuesday night and then giving the winners a full week to write for the championship.

Any of you have a preference? If not, I'm going to do this and extend voting until Tuesday. Reply in the next hour, please.

Darth Yoda
09-21-2014, 08:49 PM
if the votes dont reach a reasonable number then sure

Split
09-21-2014, 09:17 PM

He and I seem to be on equal footing on our respective sites and he is therefore my sworn rival

Soulstice
09-21-2014, 10:39 PM
Any of you have a preference? If not, I'm going to do this and extend voting until Tuesday. Reply in the next hour, please.

I would prefer to close them asap, if we get 6 votes or more and the margin is reasonable. Kan and darth is already 5-0 anyways

Certain
09-22-2014, 12:20 AM
I would prefer to close them asap, if we get 6 votes or more and the margin is reasonable. Kan and darth is already 5-0 anyways

Understood. I'd definitely rather not move on with only four votes in your battle, though. I'll close the battles at some point tomorrow when there are more votes, including my own. (I'm late to vote because I've spent this weekend moving and am just too tired right now to cast a good vote.)

Eŋg, you still need to vote.

kannon
09-22-2014, 02:01 AM
Kan and darth is already 5-0 anyways

which is mindblowing

Adonis
09-22-2014, 05:09 PM
which is mindblowing

It was close brev, I feel my vote explained why I voted how I did and why I'm sure the rest did as well

Pent uP
09-22-2014, 09:33 PM
Will do tonight or tmmrw

kannon
09-22-2014, 11:01 PM
It was close brev, I feel my vote explained why I voted how I did and why I'm sure the rest did as well
Your take on my verse was soooooo far off, bee tee dubz

Adonis
09-23-2014, 12:23 AM
Your take on my verse was soooooo far off, bee tee dubz

Writing from the perspective of a homeless musician is better. I don't know why I gave you so much credit as to come up with concept I originally thought. Dumb me

Also being salty over a loss isn't a good look. We all take them