Netcees

Netcees (http://netcees.org/index.php)
-   Discussion Board (http://netcees.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   How do you get revved up to write? (http://netcees.org/showthread.php?t=123394)

Vulgar 04-08-2016 04:37 PM

How do you get revved up to write?

Ahhh, this ancient, cherished hobby.

How do you get yourself psyched up to write? Do the words go onto the page without much of a hassle of aroused passion or gradual inspiration?

Do you need to "go there" or get into the frame of mind related to your subject matter? For example, writing from the perspective of a murderer, as a priest or a child, as a peaceful sage in the woods... what gets you in the mood? Directly. Is it a variation of the same thing?

When I battle or write topicals, I have different states of mind. Especially pic battling. Just curious if there are some more different or unique customs out there, pre-writing rituals.

If there is already a thread like this in the past, my bad.

Witty 04-08-2016 04:46 PM

I usually hate myself and write stuff that is completely contrary to my character...mainly self loathing helps me write.

Inno 04-08-2016 05:25 PM

I listen to recordings of pencils writing on paper

sral 04-08-2016 05:52 PM

It just comes naturally to me, topical writing I mean.

These days I usually analyse what I determine are my opponents flaws, and write what I think I need to do to win.

If their lines are too long, I place an emphasis on flow.

If they can't tell a story, I'll do that well.

If they're not much of a metaphorical writer, I'll sometimes go for that.

If they're the type to go for a more high-brow approach, I'll maybe opt for something more conversational and relatable.

It completely depends on who the opponent is.

I write to win.

All this "I write for me," bullshit is for the birds. You guys keep doing that, I'll keep champing these tourneys and leagues you only ever make up the quarter finals of.

Truth be told I'm more likely to lose in round one of a tourney vs an unknown 32 seed because I don't know enough about them to write around them. It's completely down to me at that point and that's where I risk slipping up, though, let's face it... Ain't many 32 seeds writing to this level either to compete. Once we get to the business end of a tourney, the "known" heads make up the last eight or so and from there on, I'm not losing.

Who else you know ran through the biggest topical tourneys on the site back to back without a loss in either?

Lars the Gawd

Mr. J 04-08-2016 06:58 PM

I wrote about a page & a half on dos and donts & decided I dont want to do that...

usually a instrumental sets up my mood and I build off of that for about 30 minutes & go back & edit everything that fits the topic & build off of that...

when I first started writing in AOWL I would normally have about an hour or 2 to finish a piece...now that i have more time I just enjoy myself & wait until last minute...oh the joy of the cypher

Adverse 04-08-2016 07:17 PM

It used to just flow out, I used to write 16's in high school like nothing. Lately i've had a lot of problems getting motivated which is part of the reason I came back to NC, rapping on forums and text battling is how I got started so I wanted to see If it could kick start something back up.

NYCSPITZ 04-08-2016 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sraL (Post 577856)
It just comes naturally to me, topical writing I mean.

These days I usually analyse what I determine are my opponents flaws, and write what I think I need to do to win.

If their lines are too long, I place an emphasis on flow.

If they can't tell a story, I'll do that well.

If they're not much of a metaphorical writer, I'll sometimes go for that.

If they're the type to go for a more high-brow approach, I'll maybe opt for something more conversational and relatable.

It completely depends on who the opponent is.

I write to win.

All this "I write for me," bullshit is for the birds. You guys keep doing that, I'll keep champing these tourneys and leagues you only ever make up the quarter finals of.

Truth be told I'm more likely to lose in round one of a tourney vs an unknown 32 seed because I don't know enough about them to write around them. It's completely down to me at that point and that's where I risk slipping up, though, let's face it... Ain't many 32 seeds writing to this level either to compete. Once we get to the business end of a tourney, the "known" heads make up the last eight or so and from there on, I'm not losing.

Who else you know ran through the biggest topical tourneys on the site back to back without a loss in either?

Lars the Gawd

Calling lars the gawd out ... topical 48 lines anybody picks the topic

Vulgar 04-08-2016 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Witty (Post 577846)
I usually hate myself and write stuff that is completely contrary to my character...mainly self loathing helps me write.

Why Oh Why do you loathe yourself, Witty?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Innovator (Post 577852)
I listen to recordings of pencils writing on paper

That's an interesting idea. It would probably make me piss lead.

Orc 04-08-2016 07:28 PM

@Echo is the best topical writer on this site bar none

As for me, I like to immerse myself in a topic and create a world

sral 04-08-2016 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCSPITZ (Post 577864)
Calling lars the gawd out ... topical 48 lines anybody picks the topic

lmao no one tryna read another verse about asian masters fighting with shurikens and hanzo swords from you though you Last Ronin knockoff

we past that

Orc 04-08-2016 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sraL (Post 577868)
lmao no one tryna read another verse about asian masters fighting with shurikens and hanzo swords from you though you Last Ronin knockoff

we past that

Hahahaha wowww

Vulgar 04-08-2016 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orc (Post 577867)
@Echo is the best topical writer on this site bar none

https://media.giphy.com/media/p3wkgg9XE7XNe/giphy.gif

Ghost1 04-08-2016 07:44 PM

Lma9ooooo

Orc 04-08-2016 07:51 PM

Hahahahahaha "three laugh face emojis"

Aero 04-08-2016 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vulgar (Post 577843)
Ahhh, this ancient, cherished hobby.

How do you get yourself psyched up to write? Do the words go onto the page without much of a hassle of aroused passion or gradual inspiration?

Do you need to "go there" or get into the frame of mind related to your subject matter? For example, writing from the perspective of a murderer, as a priest or a child, as a peaceful sage in the woods... what gets you in the mood? Directly. Is it a variation of the same thing?

When I battle or write topicals, I have different states of mind. Especially pic battling. Just curious if there are some more different or unique customs out there, pre-writing rituals.

If there is already a thread like this in the past, my bad.

What's up fam?

PM me let me know things are going

Saitama 04-08-2016 08:31 PM

Drink mad pre workout stimulants and do a line of coke

@ill nik-A

Vulgar 04-08-2016 08:38 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/TlRcavXJx2WD6/giphy.gif

Ok that gif was a bit creepy.

NYCSPITZ 04-08-2016 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sraL (Post 577868)

we past that

lmao u need a bigger bankroll and more ambition in life before you condescend me. Being loud and making videos with MMLP for topical mags doesn't make u a boss it makes you lame. Respect that you won a couple topical tourneys though must be nice to have that as the crown of your life achievements.

Adonis 04-09-2016 02:08 AM

I will sit on a topic for at least 12 hours and think of a different approach. Writing comes natural to me though. I can write a full length verse in under a hour. You know my style though vulgar, condensed lines with as much content per as I can fit. So this takes more time, I actually write two bars and condense them to one for maximum depth. I also would always write to a beat for potential recording possibilities, recently though I started writing to entire catalogs of beats instead of flowing to just one. But in the past month I found myself writing in silence,which is new to me, but I like it. The different beats I realized would dictate flow. So a single verse wouldn't flow well together, but individually fine.

Either way, writing is something I love, and Lars, I write for me. I'm not as evolved as you admittedly,but I see myself going down the route of tailoring each verse for a competitor soon. For now, I just enjoy writing and think I'm the best so don't want to change a thing. Even though I lose a lot, it's rare that I read my verse and my competitor and think to myself, "he would get my vote". The style I write with I would vote for every time pretty much.

1-0 vs Lars though. ;)

Mr. J 04-09-2016 02:27 AM

insomnia usually helps too..