Netcees

Netcees (http://netcees.org/index.php)
-   Discussion Board (http://netcees.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   I'd like to run a topical league (http://netcees.org/showthread.php?t=156102)

symetrik 11-06-2023 03:49 PM

I'd like to run a topical league

There have been a few attempts at keeping this alive from several people, so here's mine.

Someone give me a subforum?

Info:
Subject to heavy change.
1. A single season lasts three weeks (mon-fri). One week of downtime afterwards. Players can sign up as late as the day before.
2. Intending to run three seasons until end of January, then February I'm out of country. If we're enjoying, we can bring it back in March.
3. For first test run, I'd only need 4+ signups per week. You have to sign up EACH week that you want to play, no rolling signups.
4. Matchups drop on Monday morning. Verses due by Thursday end of night UTC+0. Extensions requested before deadline are granted automatically until Saturday end of night UTC+0.
5. Short and elegant verses - line limits are 8 to 24 lines. I know there's value in having longer verses to unfold the story, but voters struggle with longer verses and we want to find a format that's sustainable. Read scoring final bullet to see where you can put your creative energy.

Scoring:
1 point for voting.
-2 points for not voting on a match.
1 point for submitting a verse for a match.
-1 point for requesting an extension.
3 points for winning your match.
-1 point for breaking rules of match within reason.
2 points for voting with a verse that both uses their topic and breaks down the vote.
-1 point for not dropping a verse but informing your opponent you won't before deadline.
-4 points for no call no show.

Point DQ for stepping way beyond the rules. You still lose any points you would lose.

Downtime:
Subject to heavy change.
Previous three week mag write up, interviews of all attendees, kudos awards.
If you attend, expect to get an set of "interview" questions sent to you during downweek. If they're not answered by Wednesday end of night UTC+0, your answers may not appear in the mag. Interview answers will be cherry-picked to show in mag.
Ranking based on points.

Okay, that's the tentative plan - may shift in structure. Do I have four+ people that want this?

Diablo 11-07-2023 07:59 AM

I’ll play in some form, for sure.

My only suggestion would maybe be that you keep the league to weekly - rather than every 3 weeks - to help keep enthusiasm strong and build momentum. There are really short attention spans and you need to keep them motivated to keep them showing up, dangle a carrot for them, otherwise by week three you may find the draw of competing week in week out alone isn’t enough for some people and you’ll see them drop out.

The shorter format/numbers needed is a good idea. Start small and build on it.

symetrik 11-07-2023 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diablo (Post 837867)
My only suggestion would maybe be that you keep the league to weekly - rather than every 3 weeks - to help keep enthusiasm strong and build momentum.

That makes sense and I agree - will adjust appropriately if 3 more people agree to dabble.

Mike Wrecka 11-07-2023 11:14 AM

Why not a topical tourney instead?

Diablo 11-07-2023 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by symetrik (Post 837868)
That makes sense and I agree - will adjust appropriately if 3 more people agree to dabble.

I meant league MAGAZINE* to every week, sorry

symetrik 11-07-2023 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Wrecka (Post 837873)
Why not a topical tourney instead?

fine by me, I just used a word that I was familiar with.

s/league/tournament/ leggo.

you gonna join if I make it a tournament? :D

Mike Wrecka 11-07-2023 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by symetrik (Post 837879)
fine by me, I just used a word that I was familiar with.

s/league/tournament/ leggo.

you gonna join if I make it a tournament? :D

Ya I would join a tourney make it happen

Soule 11-08-2023 12:26 AM

@Frank

He's trying to replace you.

Ouch 11-08-2023 12:39 AM

Those topical rules are longer than I want to ever read or vote on a topical.

vote - no topical

Ouch 11-08-2023 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soule (Post 837887)
@Frank

this fat dude has a batman tattoo on his neck... sorry anything you say is automatically negated

this seems like it would be cool for topical dudes I never read topicals much but when I did I felt bad about voting for one person or the other... topical things are less clear cut nah mean... but i suppose usually there is a person who is a better writer... anyway good for yall

Ouch 11-08-2023 03:02 AM

But again I must reiterate holy fuck this dude has a batman tattoo on his neck.... I have a bad tattoo but its on my arm and its a silloette of a person walking away with a halo on it... to commemorate my brother dying or to remember him or whatever you want to call it.. shit looks ghetto as hell... but at least theres a meaning to that

this fat dude got a bat man tattoo on his neck... you literally went somewhere and PAID someone to tattoo bat man on you, and not just anywhere but on ya neck.... god damn man there is no way you don't regret that... what in THEE fuck

Soule 11-08-2023 03:06 AM

Don't see how a batman tattoo is a bad tattoo. It's a simple design, you fuckin meth head.

Ouch 11-08-2023 03:13 AM

Ive taken pretty much every drug you can think of.... thankfully meth isn't one of them.

And i'm sorry for going at you, but you do have to admit, having a batman tattoo on your neck of all places, and showing it off.... gotta be a mistake homie.

Ouch 11-08-2023 03:17 AM

If you were sober and paid someone to give you a batman tattoo on the side of ya neck... you figure it out... thats retarded.

I thought I made bad descions.

symetrik 11-08-2023 10:08 AM

Ouch says "ew topicals too long" then writes enough words in under 4 hours to enter a topical.

symetrik 11-08-2023 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soule (Post 837887)
@Frank

only if you join us :D

Diablo 11-08-2023 10:10 AM

sign him up Sym

Diablo 11-08-2023 10:10 AM

vs Fatman week 1

Soule 11-08-2023 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ouch (Post 837899)
If you were sober and paid someone to give you a batman tattoo on the side of ya neck... you figure it out... thats retarded.

I thought I made bad descions.

If you spend your life on rap forums insulting people because you're a fuckin loser offline, that's retarded.

Master Rock 11-09-2023 10:44 PM

Let's go! But only if you participate!