View Single Post
Old 10-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Battle Record: 40-19

Champed
- AOWL Season 3
- Art of Writing League (2x)

Certain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond repute

I like that you explore a wide variety of writing styles and topics. Most writers tend to find one thing that works and stick with it. I wasn't crazy about this one, though. This was very generic, without any specificity to contextualize the relationship or provide emotional stakes for the reader. The desperation of the writing was there, so I don't want to say it was distant. But the ambiguity of everything made me feel removed because I didn't know what had happened. Some would say that's a sign of universality. I just don't like universal writing, at least not on a subject this personal (even if it's not personal to you). You also seemed a bit too regimented at times within your rhyme scheme. You added a few syllables to balance it out here and there, and those often were the best lines. I really liked "She circled the calendar/ I crossed the line" and "let me see you before I vanish."