View Single Post
Old 01-18-2014, 12:44 PM   #9
PancakeBrah
SOBER

Battle Record: 2-5

Champed
- AOWL Season 2

PancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond repute

Soulstice-

You have to bear with me because I have a very low IQ, but I don't see how this relates to the topic. At all. I'm usually not one to read votes before dropping my own but I did in this situation simply because I wanted to make sure I wasn't taking crazy pills. And in each voter's breakdown I see these long-winded rationales and lines of thought trying to explain in a connection to the a topic for your verse. It's not the readers job to do this. When you started your verse I could see it maybe being a very metaphorical description of the picture. But then you start working in specificity, and the more refined your description becomes the less I can see even that tenuous connection. Which is a shame because I think this was one of the best pieces of writing in the first round. From your wording, imagery, flow (especially) and rhymes, everything was honed in and damn near flawless. And it's wasted, for me, as a great open mic masquerading as a topical piece.

uh-oh-

Simple and to the point, with just enough nuance to be considered good. Very different and opposed from the normal open mic or topical piece. At a surface glance a voter would just vote for Soulstice. But you actually adhered to the topic with a very literal approach. The flow, which was the strong point throughout, and rhymes were good. The extremely short nature of the lines naturally lend this verse to criticism about depth, and that's warranted. This was more enjoyable than a lot of pieces, though, and it acted as sort of breath of fresh air.

Did not expect this, at all, when uh-oh was put in an as a reserve. But a confluence of things lead to this being rather easy for me.

v/uh-oh
And the ditch in the back road stop
Could you find me?