View Single Post
Old 01-19-2014, 02:29 AM   #13
Angkor

Battle Record: 1-3

Angkor is on a distinguished road

these two verse were very similar to me....down to the cynical view of society...which is what they both have in common: Views.

Soul - I liked what u did here, duke. The first thing that came to mind was the old adage "The grass is greener on the other side". I see this as another commentary on greed and perspective. I suppose America would be the prime candidate to examine those ideas. From a global perspective, we're Heaven on Earth? but the issues we deal with are far from divine and are often dirty and ongoing. The serene and majestic image you paint in the first stanza really set the stage for contrasting viewpoints. The writing was certainly elite level here, as well. I'm not sure how others are not connecting this to the picture especially judging by the title of the piece. The top of the picture was blurred giving an illusion of some heavenly destination lol. Overall this was dope writing and i really enjoyed it.

Uh-Oh - This was ill as well. Very direct, with very little "decorations". The flow was very good, imo, and natural. It tells of a hermit who stripped himself of everything civilized notions but the bear (no pun intended) necessity. A great exposition on man vs society. However, ironically it was his embrace of modernism that ultimately became his undoing has his vehicle crashed, killing him. I dug this verse because it didnt try to do anything more than be entertaining. The lack of details even gave room for much interpretation as far as themes, social commentary and even depth. But i dont' think it was trying to do anything but relay a story of how, ultimately, in the end, we are not as special as we think we are. Very nice.

Vote -Like i mentioned earlier, the views from both piece are very similar. It even complimented each other, imo. Soul's verse: "Things aren't always what it appears to be." Uh-Oh's verse: "I know it's not what it appears to be so fuck it." So taking everything into account, my vote goes to Soulstice. I can certainly understand why Uh-Oh is leading in votes but i felt Soulstice definitely had the stronger piece, if we're touching on all aspects of writing. Biggup to Uh-Oh but this was not one of the harder decision for me. Good luck to both, whomever makes it to the next round.