View Single Post
Old 01-23-2016, 12:00 AM   #11
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Battle Record: 40-19

Champed
- AOWL Season 3
- Art of Writing League (2x)

Certain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond repute

These verses are so dramatically different that I'm going to switch up my voting style. Rather than breaking them down individually, I'll compare them in the basic categories of topical battling.

Topical approach: I really enjoyed NYCSPITZ's use of "lull at the end" to describe coming down from a trip. My problem with Diode's approach was that I'm not sure "lull" really works when describing these things. Had he not been so open-ended on which direction we were headed and instead supported the theory that one day the universe will just end for no reason, I could buy into the concept of a lull better.

Diction: NYCSPITZ did what he always does, overwriting to a degree and using a lot of descriptor words to the point of redundancy. But he also, as always, brought a few memorable turns of phrase. Diode overused some poetic devices, as he is wont to do to make up for his lack of end rhyme complexity, and there were a small handful of awkward word choices build around sound. But Diode's diction was cleaner, even as both were a bit overdone.

Rhyme mechanics: NYCSPITZ overloaded a few lines with unnecessary words that cut into his cadence. But his rhymes were strong throughout, and I particularly liked the "waits to be dealt/table of felt" rhyme because the phrases worked so well with the theme. Diode used a ton of assonance and consonance to carry his flow, and it worked very well. The cadence was strong, and the end rhymes were stronger than they sometimes are for him. There was one point where nine consecutive words began with vowels, which was weird.

Content: Dreams and hallucinations are an easy copout in the middle of a strange story. So while I loved NYCSPITZ's conceptual approach to the topic, I wish he had delivered it with stronger content. It turns out that little to none of the verse was real at all, which feels like pulling the rug from under your reader. Diode, on the other hand, tried to be academic but failed to ground some of his concepts. His verse floated around the idea of what it was and never felt settled. And again, I think there's a cognitive issue with the word "lull" as it relates to this content.

Enjoyment factor: Both verses were good. I found myself enjoying the ride of NYCSPITZ's storytelling until it got to the lazy twist at the end. But I drew more from Diode's verse on a higher level, as the out with a whimper idea was very interesting even if it needed much more development.

Tipping factor: Upon reading these verses three times each, I found myself getting more from Diode's and less from NYCSPITZ's with each read. This was a fine battle.

Vote: Diode