View Single Post
Old 05-19-2014, 01:27 AM   #9
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Battle Record: 40-19

Champed
- AOWL Season 3
- Art of Writing League (2x)

Certain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond repute

timeless: I liked this. I even liked the end. It wasn't anything great, certainly nothing close to your best verses. But there were some flashes of good wording. I question the format only because it didn't feel like it was written with the intent of being in that format. I've written in similar formats before, but there needs to be a slightly different pacing to justify it. The rhymes here were the show and felt like the only reason the format was used, which was lame. But I'm not going to vote based on format. I think you rode the rhymes to some pretty cool thoughts at times but ultimately were a bit unfocused. You maybe didn't have the time to spend on this, which makes sense as I suffered the same fate this week.

King Ra.: Many of your verses are obsessed with the contrast of good and evil. You also deal a lot in religious or pseudo-religious themes. Here you examine this concept of light and dark, and you did it with an adequate set of reference points that hammered it home. This verse felt both within your comfort zone and a bit like a test piece, as you used a more fluid writing style that worked well. Your phrasing absolutely was better here, though it's easier to do that when you're going for a more abstract verse. This was a good verse that carried a lot more heft than timeless', and you probably outwrote him too, at least in terms of consistency. I didn't find it as gripping because of my personal lack of interest, but it was the better verse.

Vote: King Ra.