Old 02-17-2014, 03:26 PM   #8
Frank

Champed
- NWL Season 2
- Art of Writing League (5x)
- Lime Green Poetry Association
- AOWL Season 6
- AOWL Season 10

Frank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant future

I gotta go against the grain here.

I've read this battle a bunch of times, at different times of day, in different order, and the lasting impression is a photo finish victory, in my opinion, in favor of Nigma. Deadman wrote in simpler, toned down writers voice which could be perceived as the adolescent aspect of it all. The rhyme schemes were just ok. Some double backs, but all in all, it read lackluster, which could be attributed to, once again, you writing with a young, naive writers voice.
I enjoyed the splashes of color. The black and white photo was dabbed with a brush here and there with touch ups. I do not want to echo another voter, but I do feel you played it safe and wrote a standard verse here. I was not particularly impressed with this verse. There was a sense of momentum, but it never really caught fire. It was a predictable approach, executed at a kind of stop and go pace, like a car, that cant quite accelerate to that next gear. The verse was like a birthday candle - Every line was a candle: pretty and plasticky, the kind of candles that keep going out though so, you gotta keep lighting them up - by the time you blow out the candles, the affect just isn't the same. I liked/disliked the idea of her reading foreign authors. It did not connect for me, it destracted me in a good way, it was so heavy for rather light character sketch. I know what you were going for. In that sense, you succeeded, At this level, at this point, maybe you rested on your laurels a little bit.
Nigma, the overall vibe I got was an over arching umbrella of birth defects raining down, wetting the asphalt, splattering in dry area: until the entire ground is one color. Your rhymes/content do not bombard you, they whisk you along with complimentary pretzels and headrest pillows. This piece came off as water and oil in a cup. You wrote this in 2 sittings: I could tell. I picked up on the frequency shift. Your rhyme schemes were technically savy here and there, a few impressive turn of phrases. Your mechanics may have suffered here and there though and were no where near as Sure as your opponent, but were on par for the most part, though I truly believe Black delivered his with childlike qualities purposefully.
Nigmas verse read like an abortion of a fetus to me. It was personification early on but it turned into a Stand in the latter portion.

I got Nigma winning by a hair with his last line

Last edited by Frank; 02-17-2014 at 04:18 PM.