Netcees  

Go Back   Netcees > Forum > Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

User Tag List

Old 11-12-2014, 12:09 AM   #81
E Tha Real
yes really

Battle Record: 7-9

E Tha Real has a brilliant futureE Tha Real has a brilliant futureE Tha Real has a brilliant futureE Tha Real has a brilliant futureE Tha Real has a brilliant futureE Tha Real has a brilliant futureE Tha Real has a brilliant futureE Tha Real has a brilliant futureE Tha Real has a brilliant futureE Tha Real has a brilliant futureE Tha Real has a brilliant future

Ironically jazz trumpet, i played in jazz band and combos for college. I can play classical. But i can play any instrument as i went through all the pedagogy classes. I prefer piano, trumpet and sax. Music ed myself, on my last semester of student teach.

Get the book scales for jazz improvisation by dan haerle and aeborsold vol.26 scale book. I hope you know your scales!
E Tha Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:23 AM   #82
Sharp
HE / HIM / FRAC

Battle Record: 56-21

Accomplishments
- 50+ Wins

Champed
- The Ultimate Writer
- NBL Cypher
- 1-2 Punch League

Sharp has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Tha Real View Post
Ironically jazz trumpet, i played in jazz band and combos for college. I can play classical. But i can play any instrument as i went through all the pedagogy classes. I prefer piano, trumpet and sax. Music ed myself, on my last semester of student teach.

Get the book scales for jazz improvisation by dan haerle and aeborsold vol.26 scale book. I hope you know your scales!
I had all those instrument pedagogy classes too and we both know you can't really play any instrument lmao

I know scales but honestly think I'm better off without them. I've heard a ton of guys (guitar/sax mostly) that just play scales on scales on scales and so many of these solos just turn out repetitive, corny, and boxed in. Used to do school big bands/combos but the big band is just a wind ensemble with a fucked up percussion section and the combo people were all kinda circlejerkers so I quit that and started playing out whenever I could.

I like major scale/modes of it for aural training but after that I'm a bigger fan of harmony - arpeggios/extensions/substitutions - because the sound I hear from most scale oriented people sounds chord to chord, disconnected, and a bit archaic. That said I've seen a few people who are all about scales that kill it every time so to each their own, but for learning aural skills, voice leading, and other aspects of improv I think memorizing the double augminished bebopdebop harmelodic minjor scales in all 12 keys isn't the way to go
Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:31 AM   #83
El Muffin
DOHpe since 02'

Battle Record: 43-24

Champed
- Netcees Battle League
- 1-2 Punch Onslaught
- 1-2 Punch League
- Hot or Thot Roast
- Hot or Thot 2018
- Fight Night 11
- NPL Roast

El Muffin has a brilliant futureEl Muffin has a brilliant futureEl Muffin has a brilliant futureEl Muffin has a brilliant futureEl Muffin has a brilliant futureEl Muffin has a brilliant futureEl Muffin has a brilliant futureEl Muffin has a brilliant futureEl Muffin has a brilliant futureEl Muffin has a brilliant futureEl Muffin has a brilliant future

hahn

arpeggios n archipelagos n shit
Old 11-12-2014, 12:56 AM   #84
Blanco Bishop

Battle Record: 11-20

Blanco Bishop has a brilliant futureBlanco Bishop has a brilliant futureBlanco Bishop has a brilliant futureBlanco Bishop has a brilliant futureBlanco Bishop has a brilliant futureBlanco Bishop has a brilliant futureBlanco Bishop has a brilliant futureBlanco Bishop has a brilliant futureBlanco Bishop has a brilliant futureBlanco Bishop has a brilliant futureBlanco Bishop has a brilliant future

Vote- Harmony

It's what runs rap really.
Blanco Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:49 AM   #85
E Tha Real
yes really

E Tha Real has a brilliant futureE Tha Real has a brilliant futureE Tha Real has a brilliant futureE Tha Real has a brilliant futureE Tha Real has a brilliant futureE Tha Real has a brilliant futureE Tha Real has a brilliant futureE Tha Real has a brilliant futureE Tha Real has a brilliant futureE Tha Real has a brilliant futureE Tha Real has a brilliant future

Yeah I think the ped classes get a bad rep. For what its worth. I want to teach music. So i took my ped classes seriously and had experiance from highschool. I helped tutor on instruments as i learned them. lol I bought a ton of instruments and practice my ass off.

I love tritone substitutions myself. Your best friends in school are piano players and drummers. Listen to Freddie Hubbard and how his solos bring out the drummers. Get in a combo because soloing in front of ppl will make you better. Jam sessions and hookah lounges are great for craft beers. But you need to get exposure and feedback from friends.

Scales are like learning a new language. They can be difficult and make you want to quit. I know one guy he just plays dorian, loc and super loc. the dudes a beast. Another person just practices licks in all 12 keys and for him it works. Ppl who just play scales in solos are lame, kinda like aeborsold at times lol
Old 11-12-2014, 08:01 AM   #86
Sharp
HE / HIM / FRAC

Accomplishments
- 50+ Wins

Champed
- The Ultimate Writer
- NBL Cypher
- 1-2 Punch League

Quote:
I love tritone substitutions myself. Your best friends in school are piano players and drummers. Listen to Freddie Hubbard and how his solos bring out the drummers. Get in a combo because soloing in front of ppl will make you better. Jam sessions and hookah lounges are great for craft beers. But you need to get exposure and feedback from friends.
Woahwoahwoah I'm not going to these muzzl3 jams where dudes walk in and freely improvise on the electric megaphone. I go to 1 session run by a temple professor, one by an Eastman professor, went to a mow defunct mam run by Mike Boone and all of them have a caliber of musician I have never seen in school groups. My school's jazz scene feels like the study of what certain people did from 1920-59.

Plus I had 2 years of what felt like jazz scales lessons and I felted more restricted. It's just chord to chord thinking instead of relying on your ear, and at the same time your ear isn't used tohearing musical ideas so much as scales. I know my scales I just wish I knew less of them.

Trritone subs and freddie Hubbard taught me a lot in high school, but when I say subs I'm talking closer reharmonizing cause Tritone subs are just extensions of altered dominant function chords. I'll throw up some reharms I do and get the piano player at one of those jams (temple professor) to evaluate if you want. But if you actually are in to jazz get out and play please
Old 11-12-2014, 10:20 AM   #87
Swerve
SDub

Battle Record: 40-34

Champed
- Alias Tourney III (Heroes vs. Villians)
- Fight Night LXIV
- Netcees Battle League

Swerve has a brilliant futureSwerve has a brilliant futureSwerve has a brilliant futureSwerve has a brilliant futureSwerve has a brilliant futureSwerve has a brilliant futureSwerve has a brilliant futureSwerve has a brilliant futureSwerve has a brilliant futureSwerve has a brilliant futureSwerve has a brilliant future

So ignoring all this other random stuff. I think that I will be signing up.

Swerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:43 AM   #88
Sharp
HE / HIM / FRAC

Accomplishments
- 50+ Wins

Champed
- The Ultimate Writer
- NBL Cypher
- 1-2 Punch League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerve View Post
So ignoring all this other random stuff. I think that I will be signing up.
Already going, can you put this in the sign in thread?
Old 11-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #89
Swerve
SDub

Battle Record: 40-34

Champed
- Alias Tourney III (Heroes vs. Villians)
- Fight Night LXIV
- Netcees Battle League

Swerve has a brilliant futureSwerve has a brilliant futureSwerve has a brilliant futureSwerve has a brilliant futureSwerve has a brilliant futureSwerve has a brilliant futureSwerve has a brilliant futureSwerve has a brilliant futureSwerve has a brilliant futureSwerve has a brilliant futureSwerve has a brilliant future

No.

Swerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:16 AM   #90
El Muffin
DOHpe since 02'

Champed
- Netcees Battle League
- 1-2 Punch Onslaught
- 1-2 Punch League
- Hot or Thot Roast
- Hot or Thot 2018
- Fight Night 11
- NPL Roast

El Muffin has a brilliant futureEl Muffin has a brilliant futureEl Muffin has a brilliant futureEl Muffin has a brilliant futureEl Muffin has a brilliant futureEl Muffin has a brilliant futureEl Muffin has a brilliant futureEl Muffin has a brilliant futureEl Muffin has a brilliant futureEl Muffin has a brilliant futureEl Muffin has a brilliant future

swerve u fgt come get this wrk my nigga
Old 11-12-2014, 02:08 PM   #91
Sharp
HE / HIM / FRAC

Accomplishments
- 50+ Wins

Champed
- The Ultimate Writer
- NBL Cypher
- 1-2 Punch League

Okay

But I'm signing your bitch ass in
Old 11-12-2014, 03:26 PM   #92
E Tha Real
yes really

Yeah in my jazz band we started bringing in charts because the prof was on some 1920's shit. You'd be surprised, he let us run some goodwin and jaco tunes. Maybe your school needs forward thinkers, who challenge the professors to play newer music.

Yeah i don't do reharms., my piano skills aren't their yet. I just rip through chord changes o i can hear them for my horn. Yeah i love jazz but gigging with legit bands seem locked up to profs and old dudes. I just moved out to NC thinking i should take a few years to hardcore practice and get lessons from the big names out here while teaching. Then try to get in a legit symphonic job, since the money is more competitive. But as you know those spots are professors too and music at their level isnt picked up with a bachelors or masters. Good isnt good enough.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:45 PM   #93
Sharp
HE / HIM / FRAC

Accomplishments
- 50+ Wins

Champed
- The Ultimate Writer
- NBL Cypher
- 1-2 Punch League

Quote:
Yeah in my jazz band we started bringing in charts because the prof was on some 1920's shit. You'd be surprised, he let us run some goodwin and jaco tunes. Maybe your school needs forward thinkers, who challenge the professors to play newer music.

Yeah i don't do reharms., my piano skills aren't their yet. I just rip through chord changes o i can hear them for my horn. Yeah i love jazz but gigging with legit bands seem locked up to profs and old dudes. I just moved out to NC thinking i should take a few years to hardcore practice and get lessons from the big names out here while teaching. Then try to get in a legit symphonic job, since the money is more competitive. But as you know those spots are professors too and music at their level isnt picked up with a bachelors or masters. Good isnt good enough.
I gig around playing jazz. It's just knowing people and being a good business person

My college's band was progressive, ton of contemporary latin/maria schnieder kinda shit. Just playing in the big band is constricting as fuck and really shouldn't even be called jazz. It's just a wind ensemble. But you don't need to actually need to use piano to reharm just operate under those changes... its a sense of harmony and aurals. I literally teach other music majors how to do it because they don't get this sort of shit playing in schools

jam sessions man

I got some free time tonight before going out and I'm all for reharmonizing the FUCK outta a few tunes if you want a lesson

either way good luck with the symphony shit, I can't really stand practicing technique and playing a bunch of prewritten music nearly enough to hang with that lol.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:51 PM   #94
El Muffin
DOHpe since 02'

Champed
- Netcees Battle League
- 1-2 Punch Onslaught
- 1-2 Punch League
- Hot or Thot Roast
- Hot or Thot 2018
- Fight Night 11
- NPL Roast

Deliverance Dueling Banjos
Old 11-12-2014, 06:36 PM   #95
Sharp
HE / HIM / FRAC

Accomplishments
- 50+ Wins

Champed
- The Ultimate Writer
- NBL Cypher
- 1-2 Punch League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muff View Post
Deliverance Dueling Banjos
you want me to change the underlying chord progresson to the dueling banjos? cause that's all chords lol
Old 11-12-2014, 06:40 PM   #96
Mike Wrecka
WOW

Battle Record: 29-25

Champed
- Writing Challenge League I

Mike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant future

inb4 this one time at band camp