PDA

View Full Version : AOWL Mag - 7th Edition

Mike Wrecka
11-12-2013, 10:57 PM
]http://i.imgur.com/ZDKwyvm.jpg
Season 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPRKsKwEdUQ

7th Edition

What up its the AOWL Magazine coming through for the 7th Edition. This week we are celebrating all things Wu-Tang Clan. We have various Wu Tang songs titles as the topics this week. We have a big and highly anticipated Title Match between Frank and Certain. Should be really dope. They are already going at it. Pancakebrah is standing in the on deck circle waiting for the victor of that blood bath so he could get his title shot next week. Three more weeks including this one so its do or die time motherfuckers. This week Split Eight is the guest writer doing the predictions so look for that. Ok back to the Wu. Ive included some cool little features in the mag on that Shaolin tip so check them out and Certain's Corner this week is Wu Tang themed. As always though lets take a look back to last weeks action before we jump ahead.

Battle Reviews - by Mike Wrecka

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDM5ZRVQ23w&feature=youtu.be

Entertainment - by Mike Wrecka

The Wu Tang Clan got their name and many of their philosophies from old Kung Fu flicks that used to play in the theaters of Staten Island at that time. I own a few of these movies and if you watch enough you will hear every single interlude and sound effect from their albums. These movies are incredible, if you are into Kung Fu movies and here I will post a few to check out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CofpOLquatY

here is the full movie of Shaolin vs. Wu Tang. watch it. its worth it. Starring Kung Fu legend Gordon Liu. you will know him as Pahmei in the Kill Bill movies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u4d08KEyyo

there are many more. you can find Master Killer, Old Dirty Bastard, Golden Arms. the list goes on. peep them, they are worth it.

Week 8 Predictions - by Split Eight

Title Match- Frank vs. Certain

I think Certain is a prose writer. Or maybe everyone else tends to be overly poetic in these leagues. Frank is the opposite of Certain. I recognize and respect both disciplines within the topical crowd, however Frank's writing is transdisciplinary. Certain will have to really heighten the appeal of his writing to get a vote majority here, it seems he has been coasting on his strong understanding of the basics of writing. Let's get intricate. I'm sure Certain can bring something to the table that will make this close, he certainly (lol) has the ability. Barring a recycle or DQ on either side, I see Frank sliding by as per his destiny as antihero of the AOWL.

Frank 53/ Certain 47

Contendership- Breathless vs. PancakeBrah

lol Breathless already got DQ'd for recycling. somehow. I searched like... twenty three different sections of that verse and couldn't find a single hit. Strong internet detective. I would have predicted PCB to win because of experience and more pleasant rhyming. Oh well, would have been interesting.

King Ra vs. YDK

I see King Ra taking this over YDK. King Ra tends to have highly embellished and stylized novela-verses that incorporate the topic rather than encompass it. YDK seems to pick his stories from cable news stories. King Ra's writing is more visceral and succinct than YDK's, in my eyes... Furthermore, in most weeks, YDK loses a lot of the face appeal of his heavyhanded style by rhyming awkwardly. Less edited than it should be, perhaps. Such is the price of boarding from a cell phone. He also got clobbered last week. I have YDK most likely winning because King Ra almost religiously no shows.

King Ra 35/ YDK 65

Mordycai vs. Clockwise

Cool names. We've had a bunch of cool names join the league lately, got me feeling self-conscious. Haven't seen either post really, but should be interesting. Will give Clockwise a slight advantage because there is only a 32.304% chance that his name came from a D.A.G.E.L. name generator situated deep in the recesses of a D'VegAngelo's booth somewhere in upstate TapOutica.

Mordycai 49/ Clockwise 51

Vividlyvague vs. Adonis

Adonis is a very tired writer. I don't mean that in a positive or a negative sense. I just think he is one of those competitors who has been through enough battles, that unless there is a wow-factor to the opponent or the battle is anticipated, he will write just enough to win. It's a strength because he can conserve lines and effort for the next week, but at the same time he is more prone to upsets and being uninspired. Vividlyvague seems like a relatively new writer or is returning, judging by his large activity. Vivid really stretches his bars. He has spastic rhyming and schemes, he seems to just need cleaner cuts on his language. I think Adonis will take this, but not by much.

Adonis 60/ Vividlyvague 40

Just Write vs. Diode

Diode is a decent writer but never "wows" with his use of language or rhyming, just continually writes pieces that you read and go 'oh okay cool'. Similar to Adonis, except I haven't seen Diode truly step up to the plate and prove he is a contender in this league. Just Write is a good topicalist, I can't recall any specific Just Write verses. Now that I think about it, I don't think anyone could recall any Split Eight verses. Either way, Just Write might not be a quotable/ quirky writer but he has talent. I have Just Write putting more into his verse and getting more votes due to overall lyricism and verve.

Just Write 70/ Diode 30

ZYG vs. ThisIsDam ***SPLIT EIGHT BOTW PICK***

Zygote is certified dope around this forum. I think he was a sleeper back in the NWL, but ever since AOWL Season 1 he's been hot on everyone's radar. he was the one who dethroned Frank last season after like eight weeks, I believe. ThisIsDam is a familiar name, I think he wrote on multiple sites and has been around a minute. I read ZYG's verse before the match dropped, and it was like top form Zygote. I'm sure Dam knew what he was doing posting so early, so this could be really dope. I think people will be receptive to Dam's established talent and uniqueness, this season seems to have the storybook theme "everybody is special" written in bold letters on page 1. Not trying to sound condescending just noting that everyone is appreciating the diversity of styles, approaches, techniques etc. in a new way. Anyways, I see this being very close, but ZYG closing out the win with near nonexistent amounts of rust.

ZYG 63/ DAM 37

symetrik vs. NYCSPITZ

no offense to symetrik, but he wrote a really boring verse last week. just blah. Yeah, it was good and all, but I would never go back and read it. I seem to remember his other verse or two showing good potential of him being a strong competitor, but I don't think he is quite harnessing it. This should be an easy win for NYCSPITZ. Giving the win to Symetrik because NYCSPITZ is like 0-64 from entirely no-shows

Symetrik 100/ NYCSPITZ 0

Vulgar vs. Mr. J

Cool match-up. Pent uP gave Vulgar the best vote I have ever seen him give. That seems to say a lot, by itself. Vulgar also wrote a strong piece that was a deviation from his normal creative angle, as was the piece before that. If I were Mr. J I would be worried. Both were in high profile matches last week, and both lost. However, I would give this to Vulgar due to his machine-like consistency and vote appeal.

Vulgar 55/ Mr. J 45

Mike Wrecka vs. Innovator

both are around .500 right now, both are veterans of the league. Honestly I do not see Innovator walking away from this week with a win. He has champed other leagues, but the AOWL has resisted his efforts and he has failed to shine for a while now. Mike Wrecka has more or less found his niche and will continue to write to it until playoffs or he manages a rank match. Straight autopilot. Mike Wrecka's edge also depends less on the angle and more on his rhymes, so the simple nature of the topic plays to his advantage.

Mike Wrecka 80/ Innovator 20

Certain's Corner (with a Wu Tang theme!) - by Certain

"I bomb atomically. Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Inspectah Deck started off quite a few of Wu-Tang Clan's deepest posse cuts. He lead off the first one, "Protect Ya Neck," and the classic "Triumph," as well as "Protect Ya Neck (The Jump Off)," "Guillotine (Swordz)," "Assassination Day" and "A Better Tomorrow." Few consider Inspectah Deck the best rapper in the Wu-Tang Clan, but he drew lead position for a reason: The man has a talent for setting a tone. The Rebel INS was the kindling sparking the flames, while hyper-energetic RZA and Ghostface Killah often served as the full flames and methodical GZA and Masta Killa worked perfectly as the smoldering embers.

In honor of one of the two (Masta Killa being the other) members of the Wu-Tang Clan who actually can be called underrated, Certain's Corner this week is taking a look at how to begin a verse on the right foot, complete with examples from this league. I put a lot of weight in how a verse opens, perhaps because my journalism background has taught me readers have short attention spans. If you lose them at the beginning, there are no second chances. Furthermore, a strong introduction sets the tone for the entire verse. Avoid false promises. Let the reader know what they are about to get themselves into. And make them excited to do so.

Few do it better than Vulgar. What makes Vulgar so unique is his constantly shifting vernacular and voice. So he consistently thrusts readers right into the heat of where he's going with his verse early on, and often if he struggles, it's simply in keeping up the momentum. Vulgar lost to me in Week 6, but that came more from a story that fell flat toward the end than this vicious opener:

One of the car bombs peeled the lawn, then the smog cleared up
Anton stood palmin' a beer mug, molotov in his pocket, balaclava & earmuffs
His parents feared him for obvious reasons: contras, arson, accomplished theft
was even dubbed a son of a gun...he used on his father when he shot him dead

We gain so much about what Vulgar is going to do from that four-line segment. The strong image in the first line is doubled-down in the second, as he introduces his lead character. Then he sets up the conflict in the next two lines by establishing a strained relationship between Anton and his parents. He does this all with brilliant rhyming, deft word choice and a literally explosive scene. There's nothing boring about that introduction.

But they can't all be like that. Most verses aren't about arms-race kingpins and their mothers. And it's important to build off your actual approach. Many writers struggle with that because either they come up with a great way to open a verse but can't follow it up with the content to justify the opening or because they simply are lazy about the opener. You see a lot of offset, somewhat meaningless couplets dangling on top of fleshed-out stories, providing abstract ramblings that somehow relate to the story below. Those can be effective but more often are shallow.

PancakeBrah never does that. Most of his verses open with strong character building and the touch of intimacy that runs through all of his verses. But he also often cranks up the rhyming for those introductions, giving himself another way to hook a reader. Here, in describing a graffiti artist, he breaks out a nice set of rhymes while clearly defining his subject:

He preferred black and whites, the dark and drab,
and a Blick palette knife for the arts he'd tag
on naked concrete slabs. Crouched in faded jeans,
spraying slouched maƮtre d's with empty shopping bags
who pout "Delaying the Dream"; he popped the caps
like an aerosol fiend, free, sovereign, brash;

PancakeBrah uses a great mix of subtle phrasing and direct, clear images to establish his character. I particularly liked the choice of the verd "preferred" because good writing revolves around deliberate verb choices. PancakeBrah contrasted black and white with a gray verb, perfect for his gray color block topic.

But the best verse introduction I've read this season dealt in no such ambiguity. Just Write delivered a memorable opener to his verse against Mike Wrecka way back in Week 3, and the reason it still resonates with me is because of how clear he constructed a totally unique scene. He took a picture topic and somehow made it more vivid in two couplets:

Every third thursday my family would head down to the riverbed
My sister shirley would joke as we sat down to our dinner sets,
The pound cake was astounding, with subtle hints of cinnamon,
Father & Mother would hover above us...
I loved to watch him take puffs from his cigarette.

Notice how he gave the narrator's sister a name and provided a flurry of small details. The last line in that quote was the best, the type of thing that so perfectly resonates with my own childhood and, I'm sure, the childhoods of many. Smoking was cool, right? That built-in nostalgia drove home this opening segment and set the tone perfectly for a story about a world that was and the brokeness that it became.

The best openers echo throughout the verse. They set the tone and create the images that become the basis for a great verse. Often, a great beginning can be wrapped back into the end, even if it's GZA instead of Inspectah Deck

Power Index - by Certain

Every week, I will rank the top 10 competitors in the league. These rankings will not be official or have any bearing on anything aside from my rankings. The goal will be to measure who is doing best in the league (excluding myself). You will not always agree, and I encourage you to post your own rankings. These are not verse of the week rankings, to be clear. They often won't line up with results or even necessarily with my own votes. So deal with it and enjoy them for what they are.

10. Diode (2-0)
He's been more successful in this topical league than he is at running a rap forum.

9. NYCSPITZ (2-3)
What can we expect out of one of the league's three or for most talented writers? His output has been all over the place.

8. Mr. J (5-2)
He got to choose his own topic, then dropped perhaps his worst verse of the season. I expect a rebound.

7. Mike Wrecka (3-4)
You just know Mike Wrecka isn't going to miss the playoffs of his own league. He turned it up in Week 7, and expect him to finish very strong.

6. Just Write (3-1)
When he left, he was No. 1 in these rankings. We're glad to have him back, but he'll have to show he's still motivated.

5. Vulgar (3-2)
He's lost by a combined 15-1 the past two weeks, but he still might be the best writer in this league. Is he competitive enough to give voters what they want at the expense of his own style?

4. ZYG (1-1)
He forces me to rethink everything I'm doing. He's not perfect (or a robot). But he is the most interesting writer here, if not the best.

3. PancakeBrah (4-1)
Well, he's already on to the title match. Will he stand up to the pressure of facing me?

2. Vividlyvague (5-2)
For the first time, he seemed to comprehend what he needed to do to be successful in this league, and he wrote the best verse of the week as a result.

1. Frank (5-2)
It felt like a matter of time until he climbed into the title spot. He showed great versatility last week, even though it wasn't his finest effort. Now he gets to lose, but he might still keep the top spot in these rankings

Entertainment - by Mike Wrecka

I was going to break down the whole story of the Wu from start to present day but this video does an amazing job of doing it. It was directed by the same guy who directed Da Mystery of Chessboxin video. It is an hour long and I watched about half of it so far and found it really entertaining. check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKEPGeR6Q_s

Outro - by Mike Wrecka

Ok that's gonna be it for this week. But not before I give you a little insight into my journey into the world of the Wu. My first exposure to Wu Tang was when I heard the song Method Man on the radio. I immediately went to the CD store and bought 36 Chambers in 1994. As I listened to track after track I was enthralled by the music. I played it repeatedly for months. The albums slowly became quite popular. Some time in 1995 I saw the Method Man album Tical had come out to a bit of fan fare. Buying that CD was a no brainer for me. I bought it and fell in love with many of the tracks like Mr. Sandman and Tical. With the many guest appearances from the other members it felt like a full fledged
Wu Tang album. That's what they always did since that point, drop solo albums to put their own personal spin on things but brought everyone in to make it a true group experience. One day I was at the mall and saw the Ol Dirty Bastard's CD Return to the 36 Chambers on the shelf. I copped it and it was great. Brooklyn Zoo is still one of my favorites and that album had the raw energy that ODB is known for. Next up was Gza's Liquid Swords. An incredible album and Certain's personal Wu favorite. This was followed up by my personal favorite album of all time period, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx by Raekwon the Chef. also known as the purple tape. Many people were still rocking tapes in that day and his was a clear purple. It heavily featured Ghostface and Cappadonna. It was a huge commercial success and got tons of radio play. At this point they were really changing the culture, at least in my area they were. People dressed like them and started using their slang. Next up was the incredibly anticipated second Wu Tang album titled Wu Tang Forever. I went to Sam Goody on Monday night to pick up the album in what was dubbed Wu Tang Midnight Madness. At exactly Midnight you could purchase the double CD and be on your way. I listened to it in the car and swore I wouldn't go to sleep for school. I did but damn I didn't get much sleep. It was a huge success and marks the height of the Wu Tang's popularity. They have continued making albums to this day. Do yourself a favor and check them all out

AOWL lets make this week one of the best this season.

Text isn't dead , its alive and thriving in the AOWL. pz

Certain
11-12-2013, 11:04 PM
"Maybe people never been to a strip club."

Inno
11-12-2013, 11:10 PM
I give all my best lines to ThisisDAM

confirm it.

ThisisDAM
11-12-2013, 11:14 PM
Props....u look familiar, ha

ThisisDAM
11-12-2013, 11:15 PM
I give all my best lines to ThisisDAM

confirm it.

Hahahahaha

Inno
11-12-2013, 11:19 PM
how many years have I been pretending to ghostwrite for you bro..

gotta be true by now.

dope mag fellas.

ThisisDAM
11-12-2013, 11:21 PM
U sir, are a zany womprat

Vulgar
11-13-2013, 12:03 AM
Dope

NYCSPITZ
11-13-2013, 12:53 AM
kewl mag thanks i'll drop lol

Pent uP
11-13-2013, 01:22 AM
I hate newbies like split who think this is my first rodeo

Diode
11-13-2013, 01:23 AM
lol @ people talking crap about me running a forum.

PR has been around for 7 years. we rivaled RM in activity and ad revenue in the first half of its existence. a bunch of teenagers and 20 year olds got older in that time frame. guess what happens when people get married, have kids, etc?

Pent uP
11-13-2013, 01:26 AM
lol @ people talking crap about me running a forum.

PR has been around for 7 years. we rivaled RM in activity and ad revenue in the first half of its existence. a bunch of teenagers and 20 year olds got older in that time frame. guess what happens when people get married, have kids, etc?

They start discussing the finer topics like scotch cars traveling and gadgetry

Until immature cats come back and make it boring

Diode
11-13-2013, 01:27 AM
yeah i saw peb came back but i was in nj burying a family member so i didn't care all that much

he is harmless

Split
11-13-2013, 01:41 AM
I hate newbies like split who think this is my first rodeo

?

lol where did that come from?

Pent uP
11-13-2013, 01:55 AM
?

lol where did that come from?

Even though you didn't mean it as a slight I took that comment about that being my best vote as one because your unfamiliarity with me misrepresents me

e11even
11-13-2013, 07:21 AM
dope mag.

Drake's Wu Tang Forever, although it's one of my 4 faves off the NWTS album, DOES NOT do the Wu's legacy justice. Just thought I'd say that.

King Ra.
11-13-2013, 07:33 AM
Mike Wrecka on God-status right now. Dope shit. Like the Wu Tang tidbits. Certain doing a good job with he writing tips. When I drop a HOF verse I will shout you out. Split Eight nice predictions, homie. I ain't no showing though.

AOWL still running shit. Now back to discussion about druggys with hoes.....

Split
11-13-2013, 09:58 AM
Even though you didn't mean it as a slight I took that comment about that being my best vote as one because your unfamiliarity with me misrepresents me

Oh I just meant it was a top shelf vote, and your enthusiasm in voting compared to your usual reserve showed how dope a battle it was

Pent uP
11-13-2013, 10:29 AM
Oh I just meant it was a top shelf vote, and your enthusiasm in voting compared to your usual reserve showed how dope a battle it was

My enthusiasm was based on a drunken promise.

PancakeBrah
11-13-2013, 11:23 AM
I wish split liked me. He's such a cool bro. Coolest bro on the site. I picture him as an adventurer; venturing through the greater new england area, finding random hockey matches and glee club soirees to regale us with. All with this oddly confident manner about him, carrying a pocket sized copy of Ulysses by Joyce with 2-point text size in his half tweed half leather gentlemen's coat, smoking the latest strain of pot (blue Brazil) through a pipe while letting his stevia laced mocha tea cool in the autumn wind, steam wisps swirling.

Split
11-13-2013, 11:47 AM
Can we get playoff previews Certain
Like hypothetical projections

Certain
11-13-2013, 11:52 AM
Mike Wrecka would be better for that. My guess is four wins will be the minimum.

PancakeBrah
11-13-2013, 12:14 PM
Split basically implied that since pent voted for vulg he had the better verse. Now, I was surprised it wasn't a close match in votes and I liked vulgs verse a lot, but Split is dead to me.

Certain
11-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Split Eight also called me a prose writer as a pejorative because my verses make sense.

PancakeBrah
11-13-2013, 12:24 PM
Word split is secretly quite arrogant.

Geno
11-13-2013, 12:27 PM
Hello everyone. Dope mag guys. Props on wuweek

Inno
11-13-2013, 12:28 PM
I feel like the guy who just walked in on a really hilarious inside joke.

Certain
11-13-2013, 12:38 PM
There's no joke.

Split
11-13-2013, 12:42 PM
I'm dead to myself

PancakeBrah
11-13-2013, 12:55 PM
Arrogantresponse.gif

ThisisDAM
11-13-2013, 01:32 PM
I'll try & do something for the mag next week. Things DAM is thinking..

Pent uP
11-13-2013, 02:52 PM
How many weeks left in regular season? Someone tag me with an answer

PancakeBrah
11-13-2013, 02:58 PM
10 week season

ThisisDAM
11-13-2013, 03:03 PM
So, 3 weeks left? So basically, to make the playoffs I need to go 4-0?

PancakeBrah
11-13-2013, 03:04 PM
You have what it takes.

Diode
11-13-2013, 04:15 PM
split doesnt like my writing, film at 11

Mike Wrecka
11-13-2013, 04:17 PM
Split hurt a lot of feelings ITT

Mike Wrecka
11-13-2013, 04:21 PM
this is the records of people signed in . these are not the official rankings.

Frank 5-2
Certain - 6-1
Vividlyvague - 5-2
Mr. J - 5-2
Pancakebrah - 4-1
breathless - 3-3
Adonis - 3-3
Vulgar 3-2
Just Write - 3-1
YDK - 3-4
Mike Wrecka - 3-4
Innovator - 3-3
Diode - 2-0
symetrik - 2-2
NYC SPITZ - 2-3
ZYG - 1-1
ThisIsDam - 1-0
King Ra. -1-4
Mordycai - 0-0
Clockwork - 0-0

Top Twelve make the playoffs. So if the season ended today everyone with three wins or more would get in.

Zenland, split and patrown have two wins and if they sign back in next week and win two in a row have a chance to get in with four. this week will go a long way towards separating the field. it does look like to me that your going to need four wins to get in but you never know some threes might squeak in.

PancakeBrah
11-13-2013, 04:24 PM
I like to be critical in my previews but at least give a bit of shine to the writers positive traits. Split was very to the point with an overall dismissive tone. I can see why he rustled some feathers. Most of what he said was accurate.

Mike Wrecka
11-13-2013, 04:27 PM
Oh and Top Four Ranked Battlers get a first round bye btw

Diode
11-13-2013, 04:33 PM
I like to be critical in my previews but at least give a bit of shine to the writers positive traits. Split was very to the point with an overall dismissive tone. I can see why he rustled some feathers. Most of what he said was accurate.

the proper phrase is that he rustled a lot of jimmies

Pent uP
11-13-2013, 04:35 PM
Oh and Top Four Ranked Battlers get a first round bye btw

Bs I didnt get 1 last year in the same situation

PancakeBrah
11-13-2013, 04:35 PM
Diode

Shhhhh no tears
Only dreams now

Diode
11-13-2013, 04:40 PM
so i had never seen split write before

so i go to his hall of names

and oh my god it's like aesop and cappadonna had a love child

Pent uP
11-13-2013, 04:41 PM
Mods are so inconsistent

PancakeBrah
11-13-2013, 04:44 PM
He has an open mic out now. Letters to Indiana. Its really quite good. You two have about as opposite of styles as possible so I could see you not enjoying it.

Mike Wrecka
11-13-2013, 04:52 PM
Bs I didnt get 1 last year in the same situation

I didn't run Season 1. didn't even mod it. just competed

some things have changed. I felt , and if I remember correctly you agreed, that 16 was too many people to let in. so I have made it 12. with a first round bye for top four.

this means if you finish in the top four by your first battle its an eight person tournament. that seems right.

and the beauty is that 12 is just the right amount to keep the people that signed up late to have a chance to make the playoffs.

dead man
11-13-2013, 04:54 PM
if i sign in next week for the remainder of the season is there a statistical chance for me to place in playoffs?

it doesn't look promising :/

Mike Wrecka
11-13-2013, 05:01 PM
you could end up with 3 wins. you would need a lot of the people with three wins right now to lose a couple of battles. but being last years champion is a pretty strong tie breaker in my eyes.

give it a go. you will be battling people that are fighting for that 12th spot so you could knock them out

Certain
11-13-2013, 05:40 PM

I disagreed with much of what he wrote. This stood out: "Mike Wrecka's edge also depends less on the angle and more on his rhymes."

That's like the opposite of true.

PancakeBrah
11-13-2013, 05:41 PM
Hmmmm. Valid point.

Mike Wrecka
11-13-2013, 06:11 PM
I disagreed with much of what he wrote. This stood out: "Mike Wrecka's edge also depends less on the angle and more on his rhymes."

That's like the opposite of true.

ya he's basing that off my style in Season 1

PancakeBrah
11-13-2013, 06:25 PM
Granted I run into the problem of lack of familiarity when writing reviews and sometimes base them off possibly flawed preconceptions.

Mike Wrecka
11-13-2013, 06:28 PM
I run into the problem of only reading half the battles im reviewing. winging is a lot easier in a video.

Geno
11-13-2013, 06:41 PM
Ill be back next week. Wouldn't mind seeing deadman upon my return

e11even
11-13-2013, 07:35 PM
I run into the problem of only reading half the battles im reviewing. winging is a lot easier in a video.

All one may say is, "well, that's life." I don't think it's easier. It's just what you decide to say, as both situations are statements of rhetoric.

I will shut up now.

Mike Wrecka
11-13-2013, 07:37 PM
All one may say is, "well, that's life." I don't think it's easier. It's just what you decide to say, as both situations are statements of rhetoric.

I will shut up now.

my apologies I will read and vote on all battles this week.

Split
11-13-2013, 07:44 PM
ya he's basing that off my style in Season 1

Good point, I haven't been very attentive I just looked at last weeks battles and it fit the bil a little bit.

I like everyone's writing. I was just being incisive and critical

Certain
11-13-2013, 08:48 PM
I don't like everyone's writing.

But I usually like Split Eight's.

King Ra.
11-13-2013, 09:05 PM
Mike Wrecka Certain if I win out (which means that I'd be 4-4) would that seal my playoff birth being that I probably have one of the toughest schedules this season? Say yes, or I'll wreak bloody havoc with no mercy.

Diode
11-13-2013, 09:06 PM

I will shut up now.

I think the Tralfamadorians said it best:

So it goes.

Mike Wrecka
11-13-2013, 09:10 PM
Mike Wrecka Certain if I win out (which means that I'd be 4-4) would that seal my playoff birth being that I probably have one of the toughest schedules this season? Say yes, or I'll wreak bloody havoc with no mercy.

take it one battle at a time, you're looking to far ahead.

e11even
11-13-2013, 09:11 PM
I think the Tralfamadorians said it best:

So it goes.

Stop making me do research. Ugh.

Btw, their origin is the epitome of irony.

Diode
11-13-2013, 09:13 PM
Stop making me do research. Ugh.

Btw, their origin is the epitome of irony.

Introducing you to Vonnegut is the opposite of a bad thing.

http://digilib.bu.edu/blogs/mugarlib/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/kurt-vonnegut-slaughterhouse-five-tombstone.jpg

e11even
11-13-2013, 09:15 PM
take it one battle at a time, you're looking to far ahead.

In otherwords, that shit ain't happening homie.

Don't mind me. Just excited because I got off work a second ago. Creeper grin is in effect. {:<

e11even
11-13-2013, 09:18 PM
Introducing you to Vonnegut is the opposite of a bad thing.

http://digilib.bu.edu/blogs/mugarlib/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/kurt-vonnegut-slaughterhouse-five-tombstone.jpg

Say "derr" if you wish, but didn't someone quote that title some weeks ago in a piece? There's also an OM piece with vonnegut's name on it if I'm not mistaken. Too lazy to research this from my phone.

Pent uP
11-13-2013, 09:21 PM
Damn. Pie and dead next week. I wanna sign in just to see what happens

Ugh

Diode
11-13-2013, 09:33 PM
Say "derr" if you wish, but didn't someone quote that title some weeks ago in a piece? There's also an OM piece with vonnegut's name on it if I'm not mistaken. Too lazy to research this from my phone.

That's not a title. It's a drawing from Slaughterhouse Five.

You should read Slaughterhouse Five.

Pent uP
11-13-2013, 09:35 PM
Im really tempted to jump in guys. I hate u

PancakeBrah
11-13-2013, 09:36 PM
Pent's a good guy, bros. Let him in. Beneath his passive aggressive exterior is a cool bro.

Pent uP
11-13-2013, 09:39 PM
Pent's a good guy, bros. Let him in. Beneath his passive aggressive exterior is a cool bro.

Are u saying let me into the playoffs? or just the season. for 3 weeks before I hang in limbo and end up a wild card for the final 12 or so

Mike Wrecka
11-13-2013, 09:40 PM
Pancake stop acting like no one knows Pent and that you are like some Pent Up expert that must constantly defend his honor.

this will only make him more passive aggressive

Pent uP
11-13-2013, 09:41 PM
I love you guys in a drunken master sort of manner

Pent uP
11-13-2013, 09:41 PM
edit/addon: its not that no one KNOWS pent
its that no one LIKES pent up

e11even
11-13-2013, 09:43 PM
That's not a title. It's a drawing from Slaughterhouse Five.

You should read Slaughterhouse Five.

But was I correct? Being that I haven't read anything in years, I'd say I'm way out of the loop.

Certain
11-13-2013, 09:44 PM
Pent uP, when'd you start this topical shit? I remember you in the RSTL being way too abstract and forcing a lot of rhymes early on. Now, you obviously have improved.

Pent uP
11-13-2013, 09:45 PM
Pent uP, when'd you start this topical shit? I remember you in the RSTL being way too abstract and forcing a lot of rhymes early on.
I will relinquish that information when you sack up and tell me what alias i am most likely to know u by. coward

PancakeBrah
11-13-2013, 09:45 PM
Pancake stop acting like no one knows Pent and that you are like some Pent Up expert that must constantly defend his honor.

this will only make him more passive aggressive

Me and Pent have intense AIM conversations about writing and self-deprecation and confidence and stuff. We're total bros.

Mike you're a total bro, too. Who the fuck else is going do video mags for a topical league. You're a boss.

Diode
11-13-2013, 09:46 PM
pent was doing topical tourneys on pr as long ago as 07 IIRC

Pent uP
Me and Pent have intense AIM conversations about writing and self-deprecation and confidence and stuff. We're total bros.

Mike you're a total bro, too. Who the fuck else is going do video mags for a topical league. You're a boss.

Bags. the answer is bags. ask me how i know

PancakeBrah
How do you know?

Pent uP
11-13-2013, 09:48 PM
How do you know?

http://netcees.co/showthread.php?t=7159

Mike Wrecka
11-13-2013, 09:51 PM
that was a sad day for topicalist everywhere.

but not as sad as the day we found out that Freshadiddle was really Billy 12 who is really Mr. J

so we basically have freshadiddle in this league bros

Pent uP
11-13-2013, 09:52 PM
that was a sad day for topicalist everywhere.

but not as sad as the day we found out that Freshadiddle was really Billy 12 who is really Mr. J

so we basically have freshadiddle in this league bros

I can 100% guarantee that that was a false rumor.

Mike Wrecka
11-13-2013, 09:53 PM
I can 100% guarantee that that was a false rumor.

oh good. the world makes sense again

Certain
11-13-2013, 09:55 PM
pent was doing topical tourneys on pr as long ago as 07 IIRC

I'm pretty sure I remember him from 2005, at least.

After the playoffs, I am going to reveal my past names, disappear or reveal my past names and disappear.

Pent uP
11-13-2013, 10:04 PM

After the playoffs, I am going to reveal my past names, disappear or reveal my past names and disappear.

Just PM me. I promise i won't jeopardize your confidentiality.

PancakeBrah
11-13-2013, 10:58 PM

:-/

YDK
11-13-2013, 11:00 PM
Certain is freshadiddle

Split
11-14-2013, 12:31 AM
if mr. j is Frank is Qwarterz i will hang myself

Certain
11-14-2013, 12:33 AM
Their styles are wildly dissimilar. Going back and reading Red glare's verses from last season, I have no fucking clue how you guys didn't realize what was happening. Frank's style is so distinct, and he really didn't change it much.

Split
11-14-2013, 12:39 AM
I talked with Red Glare in another league, on another site. He wasnt cocky then

Certain
11-14-2013, 12:40 AM
I mean his writing style.

Split
11-14-2013, 01:10 AM
it is pretty easy to emulate

Certain
11-14-2013, 01:12 AM
Yes, because it's so distinct. So when you see two people in a league writing with the same distinct style, I mean ...

Split
11-14-2013, 01:14 AM
i meant it isnt an uncommon approach to topicals. Red Glare's early pieces gave off a 'noob' vibe

it was really rather shocking findijg out they wrre the same persom

Certain
11-14-2013, 01:20 AM
http://netcees.co/showthread.php?t=5149

Ridiculously incorrect use of semicolons, unnecessary hyphens acting as em dashes, single-rhyme schemes and the same writer's voice all in the same battle ... and no one picked up on it.

Good work, Frank.

PancakeBrah
11-14-2013, 01:21 AM
i meant it isnt an uncommon approach to topicals. Red Glare's early pieces gave off a 'noob' vibe

it was really rather shocking findijg out they wrre the same persom

no it wasnt.

like, at all.

Fig
11-14-2013, 01:23 AM
no it wasnt.

like, at all.

Death grips just dropped a new album

were you aware

PancakeBrah
11-14-2013, 01:26 AM
Death grips just dropped a new album

were you aware

No! How exciting.

Is it Money Store good?

Certain
11-14-2013, 01:29 AM
Actually, in that battle, both ZYG and Zenland point out that "you both write like the same the (sic) writer."

And no one thought, "Hey, they might be the same writer."

The best voter line was Vulgar's, though: "I believe you use excessive semicolons to disguise your alias."

Fig
11-14-2013, 01:29 AM
No! How exciting.

Is it Money Store good?

Have yet to listen to it, from what I'm reading though it seems to be enjoyable at the least

Vulgar
11-14-2013, 02:00 AM
I can confidently say I'm good at spotting aliases. However, I should get back to actually winning topical competitions.

NYCSPITZ
11-14-2013, 02:44 AM
Frank I'm coming 4 ur spot g

Certain
11-14-2013, 02:59 AM
Who's spot?

NYCSPITZ
11-14-2013, 03:12 AM
we'll see, good win vs vulgar

Split
11-14-2013, 06:34 AM
I wish split liked me. He's such a cool bro. Coolest bro on the site. I picture him as an adventurer; venturing through the greater new england area, finding random hockey matches and glee club soirees to regale us with. All with this oddly confident manner about him, carrying a pocket sized copy of Ulysses by Joyce with 2-point text size in his half tweed half leather gentlemen's coat, smoking the latest strain of pot (blue Brazil) through a pipe while letting his stevia laced mocha tea cool in the autumn wind, steam wisps swirling.

strangely accurate, except for the steam. i am allergic

ThisisDAM
11-14-2013, 08:17 AM
I can confidently say I'm good at spotting aliases. However, I should get back to actually winning topical competitions.

Pembroke*

Split
11-14-2013, 08:39 AM
so i had never seen split write before

so i go to his hall of names

and oh my god it's like aesop and cappadonna had a love child

I can beat you in a topical, though.

Diode
11-14-2013, 09:31 AM
I can beat you in a topical, though.

depends on who votes and how much effort is given.

PancakeBrah
11-14-2013, 09:35 AM
Diode, Certain stole your Olivia Wilde pancake picture. Intellectual property theft.

Certain
11-14-2013, 10:52 AM
What? I brought that to this site months ago. Olivia Cockburn and whatnot.

PancakeBrah
11-14-2013, 11:07 AM
Oh that was you? I knew diode used it once. All apologies broski.

Diode
11-14-2013, 11:10 AM
it was an internet meme we both embraced

Certain
11-14-2013, 11:41 AM
That's a loose definition of meme.

And PancakeBrah, I'm hurt.

Diode
11-14-2013, 11:46 AM
That's a loose definition of meme.

the meme is the reason why the picture was created.

Rawn MD
11-14-2013, 03:57 PM
Mike Wrecka what's my record bro

I don't even recall if I competed., but I think I did

Trying figure out if it's worth it and if I have time to sign up

Also I'm still waiting for a reply from my PM

Mike Wrecka
11-14-2013, 04:29 PM
Mike Wrecka what's my record bro

I don't even recall if I competed., but I think I did

Trying figure out if it's worth it and if I have time to sign up

Also I'm still waiting for a reply from my PM

you are 1-1. give it a go

Rawn MD
11-14-2013, 04:53 PM
Thnx ya I'll try I'm Goin to sign in right now

But find out about that PM

It was atr. Related hit me back

Mike Wrecka
11-14-2013, 05:01 PM
Thnx ya I'll try I'm Goin to sign in right now

But find out about that PM

It was atr. Related hit me back

the consensus between us all was that you have to write for that collab we had outlined

Rawn MD
11-14-2013, 05:03 PM
Haha the one bout my misadventures? Mike Wrecka

Mike Wrecka
11-14-2013, 05:03 PM
duh

Rawn MD
11-14-2013, 05:08 PM
I nd the outline tho

I can't access forum

Mike Wrecka
11-14-2013, 05:14 PM
I will pm it to you tonight or tomorrow

ThisisDAM
11-15-2013, 03:18 PM
I will pm it to you tonight or tomorrow

Yo, U can interview me for the mag next week if u want. I haven't been interviewed in a while, haha

btw I also have ideas for season 3 & am always available for help. I've run numerous topical leagues & run them well. Just sayin.

Mike Wrecka
11-15-2013, 07:47 PM
guize Frank was super upset that I called him a douche bag in my video. he told me in PMs

so I just want to say publicly that

Mike and Frank BFFs Forever.

I know that's two forevers. srs

PancakeBrah
11-18-2013, 02:51 PM
Frank is sensitive

Frank
11-18-2013, 05:37 PM
Pancake i wanna interview you for the upcoming mag.

PancakeBrah
11-18-2013, 05:41 PM
That's fine. If the questions become too frank-centric or condescending I reserve the right to tell you to fuck off

Frank
11-18-2013, 05:46 PM
Sometime tonight, stop by The Frank Show for a classy 1 on 1. I will be PMing you all the details. Should be spectacular, i look forward to having you on my show this week

Mike Wrecka
11-18-2013, 05:49 PM
Sometime tonight, stop by The Frank Show for a classy 1 on 1. I will be PMing you all the details. Should be spectacular, i look forward to having you on my show this week

this will be good

Frank
11-19-2013, 05:06 PM
Tear this down

Split
11-25-2013, 01:11 AM
I could beat literally any one in this league. i have kept quiet since Jan 2013 in interests of swlf_-preservation. Now I introduce to you my final form. your disrespect is irrelevant. I am to arrogant.

Split
11-25-2013, 01:14 AM
wait, the battles are closed before the voter deadline.... can i provide links to (100% NEW AND FRESH) OM or BA battles as substitution? I was try a smoke s blunt so my b, but can I still get a chance to vote by the deadline?

Certain
11-25-2013, 01:15 AM
None of the battles are closed. You're in the archive forum, dumbass.