Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

User Tag List

Old 06-03-2013, 01:57 AM   #1
Malachi
Negus

Battle Record: 5-10

Champed
- Newbie Tourney VI

Malachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Malachi
Default Anybody read the autobiography Malcolm X

I just copped it from my dad \

IT tore up cant wait to read
Old 06-03-2013, 01:57 AM   #2
VividEnds

VividEnds VividEnds VividEnds VividEnds VividEnds VividEnds VividEnds VividEnds VividEnds VividEnds VividEnds

Malcolm X was off his rocker yo
_________
_____
___
_
VividEnds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:07 AM   #3
Fig
Om

Battle Record: 8-16

Fig has a brilliant futureFig has a brilliant futureFig has a brilliant futureFig has a brilliant futureFig has a brilliant futureFig has a brilliant futureFig has a brilliant futureFig has a brilliant futureFig has a brilliant futureFig has a brilliant futureFig has a brilliant future

I gotta read pride and prejudice and invisible man as an english assignment this summer. Not fuckin lookin forward to p&p
Old 06-03-2013, 02:08 AM   #4
VividEnds

VividEnds VividEnds VividEnds VividEnds VividEnds VividEnds VividEnds VividEnds VividEnds VividEnds VividEnds

Invisible Man was ill af
_________
_____
___
_
Old 06-03-2013, 02:10 AM   #5
Fig
Om

Fig has a brilliant futureFig has a brilliant futureFig has a brilliant futureFig has a brilliant futureFig has a brilliant futureFig has a brilliant futureFig has a brilliant futureFig has a brilliant futureFig has a brilliant futureFig has a brilliant futureFig has a brilliant future

Thats what i heard. Really hope so
Old 06-03-2013, 02:12 AM   #6
Malachi
Negus

Battle Record: 5-10

Champed
- Newbie Tourney VI

Malachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant futureMalachi has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Malachi

LOL @ summer home work
Old 06-03-2013, 02:15 AM   #7
Fig
Om

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
LOL @ summer home work
AP english man. I hope you take it.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:39 AM   #8
oats
Steel Cut

Battle Record: 19-10

Accomplishments
- OM HOF (2x)

Champed
- Fight Night LXXXIV
- Art of Writing League

oats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant future

I would highly recommend using supplementary tools like cliff's notes or film adaptations while reading Pride and Prejudice. I love reading, have an English degree and teach English, and I have a hard time getting through those Victorian novels.
oats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:47 AM   #9
The Bully
Non-Humble Don

Battle Record: 2-0

The Bully The Bully The Bully The Bully The Bully The Bully The Bully The Bully The Bully The Bully The Bully

sparknotes my G, what are you 50?
The Bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:48 AM   #10
oats
Steel Cut

Accomplishments
- OM HOF (2x)

Champed
- Fight Night LXXXIV
- Art of Writing League

oats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant future

that's how I feel
Old 06-03-2013, 02:52 AM   #11
Fig
Om

I personally use shmoop
Old 06-03-2013, 02:54 AM   #12
The Bully
Non-Humble Don

Battle Record: 2-0

The Bully The Bully The Bully The Bully The Bully The Bully The Bully The Bully The Bully The Bully The Bully

Hey, at least you developed a selective pallet for english literature in your years oats...
that pride & prejudice shit sucked. One Flew and Gatsby were my favorite back then.

English class man, those were the salad days.
The Bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:56 AM   #13
oats
Steel Cut

Accomplishments
- OM HOF (2x)

Champed
- Fight Night LXXXIV
- Art of Writing League

only Victorian novels I recall enjoying were Vanity Fair and Wuthering Heights, though the latter grew on me (hated it when I read it in high school, liked it in college). 20th century literature>>>>
Old 06-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #14
IamBenT
SuPreaM Lyricyst

Battle Record: 9-6

IamBenT has a brilliant futureIamBenT has a brilliant futureIamBenT has a brilliant futureIamBenT has a brilliant futureIamBenT has a brilliant futureIamBenT has a brilliant futureIamBenT has a brilliant futureIamBenT has a brilliant futureIamBenT has a brilliant futureIamBenT has a brilliant futureIamBenT has a brilliant future

Fuck Pride and Prejudice homie. Watch the movie. I'm an English teacher, trust me as well.

20th century lit is GOAT

Invisible Man and Gatsby are must reads.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #15
Ghost1

Battle Record: 0-1

Ghost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant future

I saw the preview to gatsby w leo.....looks good. Superman is coming soo tho. Nolan the don.
Not saying being drunk doesn’t mess up you reasoning. I’m turning 20 soon so I haven’t had a drink ever.
Ghost1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #16
NYCSPITZ
SYRACUSE

Battle Record: 31-37

Champed
- Write Night II
- Alias Topical Tournament

NYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant future

Yes I've read it. It was cool, he was a G smoking mad bud and his IQ skyrocketed after he started reading every day in prison (he was barely literate when he entered).

Oatmeal is smart but I would avoid sparknotes so that you can think for yourself. Try to come to terms with the author based on your experience and write down any foreign looking words that you'd like in your arsenal on a piece of paper and look them up if you can't derive meaning from context.

The holy grail of learning how to read = How to Read a book by Mortimer Adler. Totally worth reading, I've only peeped a bit of it but lots of good info there.
NYCSPITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #17
oats
Steel Cut

Accomplishments
- OM HOF (2x)

Champed
- Fight Night LXXXIV
- Art of Writing League

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSPITZ View Post
Oatmeal is smart but I would avoid sparknotes so that you can think for yourself. Try to come to terms with the author based on your experience and write down any foreign looking words that you'd like in your arsenal on a piece of paper and look them up if you can't derive meaning from context.
for a book you enjoy reading, yes. For a book you are struggling to get through but are assigned to do so, no. Otherwise, it'll be difficult for you to construct any meaningful insight on what's happening.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #18
NYCSPITZ
SYRACUSE

Battle Record: 31-37

Champed
- Write Night II
- Alias Topical Tournament

NYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant future

^^ yea but then you'll get too used to using sparknotes as a crutch and never develop your reading acumen. Even if your understanding is 10% gleaned from reading w/o assistance, it can be better than 25% understanding b/c u used sparknotes. To each his own though just seems better to not use that shit imo otherwise you'll never really be thinking 4 urself.
NYCSPITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #19
VividEnds

I use sparknotes to review, sometimes, like in Heart of Darkness or A Tale of Two Cities, the writing is so dense that u gotta read it like 3 times to pick up on key plot points and symbolism

Back when this shit was written, authors expected their best works to be slowly read and digested, not read in a week and a half for some faggot English group discussion

Got a 5 on the AP Lit test btw holla
_________
_____
___
_
Old 06-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #20
IamBenT
SuPreaM Lyricyst

Battle Record: 9-6

IamBenT has a brilliant futureIamBenT has a brilliant futureIamBenT has a brilliant futureIamBenT has a brilliant futureIamBenT has a brilliant futureIamBenT has a brilliant futureIamBenT has a brilliant futureIamBenT has a brilliant futureIamBenT has a brilliant futureIamBenT has a brilliant futureIamBenT has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by VividEnds View Post
I use sparknotes to review, sometimes, like in Heart of Darkness or A Tale of Two Cities, the writing is so dense that u gotta read it like 3 times to pick up on key plot points and symbolism

Back when this shit was written, authors expected their best works to be slowly read and digested, not read in a week and a half for some knuck English group discussion

Got a 5 on the AP Lit test btw holla
Thats whats up homie, rep for them 5s