Netcees  

Go Back   Netcees > Vault > Archives > The Netcees archive > AOWL Season 3 Archive
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 03:54 AM   #1
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Battle Record: 40-19

Champed
- AOWL Season 3
- Art of Writing League (2x)

Certain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Week 12 championship: 1. Zombie (4-0) vs. 2. Split Eight (3-2) \\ Zombie wins 7-0

Season 3

The Basics | Read the full rules here.

Verses are due Friday at 11:59 p.m. PT. THERE ARE NO EXTENSIONS.

Votes are due Sunday at 11:59 p.m. PT.

Verses may not exceed 48 lines or 650 words unless agreed upon by the opponent.

Voting on three battles is required. If you win and don't vote, you will receive a loss instead. If you lose and don't vote, you will receive a one-week suspension. Please post links to your three votes in this thread.

Topic

Good luck, @Zombie and @Split Eight.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:28 PM   #2
Split

Battle Record: 27-22

Split has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond repute

IGNORING THE ONLY PHILOSOPHICAL PROBLEM:
A SATIRICAL COMPARISON BETWEEN SPLIT8 AND ZOMBIE IN RAMBLING FORMAT

it's more than just a death, you see...
a mess, for adoring friends to clean
or pour & spread the deed
in a coursing red that streams to floors and heads beneath
purgatory's mezzanine.
self-inflicted, yes.
but no ones ever born & screams intentionally.
you're alluding to choice. I'm eluding affects,
personal, and the pertinent otherwise.
your model for nothing is dead while mine's
an integration of vertical enterprise.
hear my pitch.

you're more than adept.
severed cords that've kept
the 4th in your head floored-
with intent. Cubicle-life.
Office Space. Undoing the room
with loose screws & some drive
because the view is so nice.
no purpose at all. reality's Swishers to gut.
gore on your desk, flicking the blunt
because the dissonance fun.
no meaning to life. just schemes
we can write.
"disproportionality of
disordered personality in
rivers pouring out me"
guess your center forms when
your core's coalescing towards
the flat, base truth. that makes two,
four and then divorce. dad *just* making death's appointment
at the high of noon, sharp,
by the nape of his neck.
Apple never hiding too far,
your noose tied to soon's bark.
avoiding the date of your death
because why would you not?
asking such questions brings
the silence you wrought

I'm weak and I'm trite.
there's meaning to life.
Irini's your life. she's fucking
your friend, Tom. there's cum in your bed.
gobs. she kisses you, and doesn't hesitate,
it sticks in you, a love that dessicates.
a bun in the oven, raw.
a love that is half as baked.
but the thought of a God gravitates
your suspicions to a solemn
detachment phase...
God being purpose. Your actions make sense...
sadness making trends of your masquerade for friends.
reissued emotions, bazillions in laminate
for familiar cavalcades of guests.
always vacillating, breaths between advocating clean
and habits claiming rent.
what's a few words, to twist or contort?
get lost in distractions lest your passion explores
the crevices, creaks of inner dark force.
Pewter. Vermillion. Cinnabar, Four.
that wordings poetic. nostalgia galore.
I'm learning my lesson!
now onto the next extension of life
til self-validation is spent to the dime.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:52 AM   #3
Zombie

Battle Record: 5-0

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Zombie has a brilliant futureZombie has a brilliant futureZombie has a brilliant futureZombie has a brilliant futureZombie has a brilliant futureZombie has a brilliant futureZombie has a brilliant futureZombie has a brilliant futureZombie has a brilliant futureZombie has a brilliant futureZombie has a brilliant future
Default 85% of a True Story

we all have a harmonic potential to love in mnemonic arrangements
sequential evolving in a whirlwind dubbed: platonic creation
the constellations? celestial. a series in tangential space
when stars do ballet to tectonic shifting through their porcelain grace
a source that cascades. First girl I ever loved was a metaphorical case
the last girl I love. probably already revealed, or in incessant concealment
these lovers, define how you embody how love is supposed to allegedly feel
you unexpectedly reel in a relative scheme. harpoon my hearts' moon tentatively
i walked the plank. cast my net with lovers' bait, to plenty of fish in the sea
only to come up empty. Romeos paramour hangs in the balance
every former-flame, was a challenge, coordinated collapse
formulated a atlas, portraits and contours painted on maps
for every gradual portion of graphs, a longitudinal placement alas
latitudinal lust canvass. precedent sex events was a mutable practice
where kisses are encompassed on a delineating globe
beautiful palace. strobes, on this lovers seize of Rome
with contraceptive love directions. its where the rubber meets the road
summoning the oath. You recall moments that never even fucking erected
so much blood pumped into perfection. Your definition of love never mustve existed
YOU sedate the concept. YOU embrace its content, with rudimentary logic
The person is real, and the feelings are real-but you create the context
who's to say, the onset of delusional standards is currently present
shedding tears are an excusable manner for the blurs in each segment
"TOLD you EVERY sound and verb." X-RAYS only painted tincture of empty closets
you sapped the thousand words out of every picture that came across it
Your wavy strands of amber hazel, pulled my grace. A soldiers statue
lulled my lonely vacuum. You were the moon that sailed my ship, it's hulls and gates.
The person who construes your perception of love is not inherently different
than anyone else. just a separate decision, through eugenics. through physics
through tenuous, vivid, mentions of lipstick. the first pecks you'd get to envision
and you're so lonely. a stone trophy. these people aren't different, or above humdrum
they're often just the person you happen to meet first time you really, really want to love someone.
but that person still wins. They win, and you lose.
sedated. your screws loose. creative, but cuckoo.
sort of depressing. the way they oversee every restriction, every position you felt
Because for the rest of your life, they control how you feel about everyone else

Last edited by Zombie; 05-17-2014 at 02:02 AM.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:10 AM   #4
Frank

Champed
- NWL Season 2
- Art of Writing League (5x)
- Lime Green Poetry Association
- AOWL Season 6
- AOWL Season 10

Frank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant future

Split Eight, with all the time constraints, I applaud you for not no showing. It wasn't a terrible verse, but it wasn't up to par with Championship standards, or let alone your standards. The parody was distasteful in a match up of this prestige. The freestyle format was amateur ish and the approach was unidentifiable. The verse you wrote was like a living breathing no show post. I actually think not showing would've been more concerted effort.

Zombie, your fleeting use of language gave me the floaters. This was kind of like poetry portraying poetry. Observatory, anecdotal writing. Writing about writing appears to be your niche. Your flow was unpredictable and airy and non existent. The last 1/4th of your verse took a nose dive but you picked it back up with the last line.

Voting Zombie
Old 05-18-2014, 09:35 PM   #5
Adonis
Tsk Tsk

Battle Record: 36-34

Champed
- Lime Green Poetry Association
- NFL Pick'em 2016-17

Adonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant future

Split - I don't know man. 1. the shortened bar style didn't always flow good with me. I did highly enjoy the father slicing of throat section due to word choice and the fact it was a bit hidden...But as a whole, I did not particularly enjoy this verse. It lacked quite a bit in terms of flow and imagery. Then as far as the overall meaning, I can't place a finger on what it is bro. I know you counted up, essentially giving away the 4 messages, but even then, it just wasn't good enough or strong enough writing IMO.

Z - Good use of maps and atlas throughout, that gave me a sense of you trying. It added depth while reading, I enjoyed the schemes for the most part. A lovers quarrel, I will complain though that this verse is soft. I mean almost like you crying on the proverbial Desktops shoulder, but it was written nicely, nay, nice enough.

V/Zombie

TUPAC SHAKUR
Old 05-18-2014, 09:56 PM   #6
Vulgar
Razor-thin derision

Battle Record: 40-25

Accomplishments
- OM HOF

Champed
- Fight Night LIV
- Gimmick Battle League (2x)
- Write Week II
- Art of Writing League
- Storytelling And Topical Invitational Tournament
- STI
- Haiku Writer Challenge
- GWL Picture Challenge(2x)

Vulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant future

Split Eight - I didn't like how the title borrowed a leaflet from Zygote's main cognitive terminal. I think you're an original guy. The verse was enjoyable, as the rhyming was crisp and you gave it a sort of 'hip' feel. The overall mood felt very 'college dormitory drama' and didn't strike any personal chords with me though. I don't know if you referenced Zombie in there unless the mention of 'dead' is one. It was an interesting and creative attack on the topic but it was also wildly inaccurate.

Zombie - This was a really cool take on the phenomena of love and some of its downsides. You dug pretty deep into what it means to have a love interest and say 'I love you' to a partner, consigning yourself to someone who may turn out to be an irrational siren. It was smartly written and flowed well.

My vote goes to Zombie.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:37 AM   #7
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Champed
- AOWL Season 3

Certain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond repute

Zombie leads 3-0.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:55 AM   #8
King Ra.
The Throne, The Crown

Battle Record: 21-35

King Ra. has a brilliant futureKing Ra. has a brilliant futureKing Ra. has a brilliant futureKing Ra. has a brilliant futureKing Ra. has a brilliant futureKing Ra. has a brilliant futureKing Ra. has a brilliant futureKing Ra. has a brilliant futureKing Ra. has a brilliant futureKing Ra. has a brilliant futureKing Ra. has a brilliant future

The homie Split. Despite all the challenges, you still managed to drop, so respect. Especially since this is a champ match. While this wasn't you at your best, it had that feel of what to expect from a Split Eight verse. Even though you wrote short lines and in a broken like style, the writing read very smoothly, and I actually enjoyed the read. I thought the tone fit the picture and you weren't off at all. Zombie, you held your own in this one. Wrote this like you wanted this championship, even though you're signing out next week. You clearly are one of the best in this league. The depth of imagery and description was top notch and it read smoothly. This was just great from start to finish. A lot of great lines. You really painted a clear picture and detailed an in depth perspective of the picture given. Great job.

Zombie clearly took this match with the votw. Superb level of writing. Split didn't bring due to personal reasons, but still wrote a solid piece.

MVGT: Zombie. Good job by both competitors.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:03 AM   #9
e11even
V.V

Battle Record: 31-20

e11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant future

Split- This was a very interesting read. Now whether or not you ACTUALLY wrote about the both of you, it would seem as bit of a gamble, as people may not be completely aware of who you two really are, and to such effect that we know which verse was for which person... in which I stab for yours being the second. I just think more passion was present. All in all, this was an interesting read, but there were not enough convicting parts to leave a lasting impression. I feel like a light-hearted approach would have suited the piece more to distract from maybe not being familiar with the players involved. Good piece though. Nice wording.

Zombie- This piece, though in some parts I was a lil absent minded, hit me super hard. The way you break a scene down in profound detail with awesome delicate word usage was exceptional. It was almost uncomforting how this piece made me feel. It was intimately relatable, AND invasive. Very passionately written. I don't read you much, but whatever it is, you have it, my friend. Kudos on a good verse.

Both you guys showed up. I'm happy for that. I think one contender had a more defined approach due to the subject matter, and thus connected better, in my case. You both did at least a decent job, but I'm going for who provided for the the longer lasting impression. MVGT Zonbie. Good job to both you guys.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:41 AM   #10
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Champed
- AOWL Season 3

Split Eight: This verse was really good. I'm just not sure how it relates to the topic. If I really unwound the verse and the painting, perhaps there could be some correlation with identity issues. But mostly I just was impressed by the diction and rhymes and thoughts unveiling yourself and your opponent. This verse was legitimately interesting and had a lot to offer, which can't be said about many of these verses. But it didn't have anything tangible to do with this great topic that seemed so directly up your alley.

Zombie: It's a shame your path ends (if hopefully only temporarily) here. This verse was awesome and very much embodied your success in this league. Obviously you can outrhyme and outphrase anyone on any day. Your writing level is well known and inarguable. But what's carried you to this 5-0 record has been the direct, unquestionable takes on topics. Week after week, you've avoided anything fancy or muted and instead dove right into the topic. This verse was perfect because it carried the topic and had a really emotional take on first love. The ending was outstanding, and the verse as a whole gained force as it went. This is one of the best submissions of the season and probably will make my season-ending list.

Vote: Zombie